A Plastic Ocean: a film review

Read a review of the film 'A Plastic Ocean' to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text
Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

B2 English level (upper intermediate)

Submitted by Ben2020 on Tue, 10/11/2020 - 00:14

I think whole world need working together to solve global pollution, everyone play a role ,classify the garbage separation of plastic and food etc.

Submitted by Lilly098 on Thu, 05/11/2020 - 18:52

I would love to recommend Nas Dailly YouTube channel. The video mainly talks about a wide variety of problems and facts in all around the world. How he depicts country is very accurate and well researched. Most interesting video was how Hawaii treats homeless people. Every students should be recommended to watch and take some actions.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Fri, 23/10/2020 - 14:58

I usually don't see documentary films; i prefer to read some books or magazines. Concerning in particular the environmental issues, it look like many short films of the kind tend to draw attention rather than showing these themes in dept.

Submitted by AnnaSmith on Tue, 20/10/2020 - 20:26

To be honest I am not good at it. Maybe it is time to start watching it especially as I know there are a lot of interesting documentaries on Netflix now.

Submitted by Abdulhadi94 on Tue, 20/10/2020 - 10:18

What documentary films would you recommend To tell you the truth I have just seen two episode of our planet which i strongly recommended for you guys to watch it . It is simply explain our planet and tell us about the huge problem that as human has done to the planet
Profile picture for user danisep

Submitted by danisep on Tue, 20/10/2020 - 01:24

The last documentary I watched was about rubber. If I remember right, it talks about how farmers receive just a minimum part of a rich business and how big companies or its suppliers stay with the big part of the cake. Those farmers make the hard work while the rubber's price increases through a chain.
Then you should know about the rubber industry which reached its peak a 100 years ago here in South America, especially in the Amazon region shared by Brasil and Bolivia. Apart from the unsustainable exploitation, all the human rights violations made by rubber firms against indigenous people. It is something shocking to see, it was practically slavery that killed thousand of aborigens. Similarly, this happened too in King Leopold's Congo, Belgian colony.
You are so correct here. Of course the Belgian Congo genocide was on a par with Hitler and the Nazi's and Pol Pot - Travesties of injustice against mankind. I experienced the gross injustice of Apartheid in South Africa.

Submitted by Rihaneta 1 on Fri, 16/10/2020 - 14:00

The last documentary file I have watched is " social dilemma ", it was produced by Netflix, it was released last September. It is talking about social media and how they impact. I don`t use social media, sometimes I use you tube, however, I have felt shocked after watching this movie. If you want to help your self to go far away from social media then watch this movie. Thanks a lot!
I completely agree with you Rihaneta. The new way to communicate has two sides of coin. On one hand, we are able to connect or to discover the news easier, faster. However, on other hand, we are loosing our ability to read deep and strong literature, we are loosing our ability to ponder. Unfortunately, we have the same trash not only on our planet but in our minds, too.

Submitted by Lincoln01 on Tue, 13/10/2020 - 15:42

Discussion on the effect of plastic waste to marine life is long overdue. Aquatic life is always in danger by the action of man. It is high time we start considering other living creatures on this planet as well

Submitted by yzdxsmx on Fri, 09/10/2020 - 09:25

I rewatched an old documentary named Ocean last week. It doesn't take any point of view of the filmmaker, but simply show you how marine animals are living in their natural habitat. After I read this text, I imagine that those marine animals might be killed by the plastic we dumped into the ocean, which makes me feel guilty and realize that we have to act together to make the planet better.
I would like to maintain your thought about what we can do together to make our planet better. For instance, my family and I stopped using the plastic packets.

Submitted by ukazak on Tue, 06/10/2020 - 05:59

I would like to tell about new documentary on Netflix. It's name the social drama. This movie about social media and how they impact for us. Frankly speaking, evereday I use instagram, youtube, twitter. I spend a lot of time for serfing on Internet. I think, It's so bad because I don't have time for me or my family. It's dangrerous trand. But on the other hand, we able to use social media some different. For instance, we can study or met with interesting people. In conclusion, I recomend to wath this movie.

Submitted by shawn peter ru… on Mon, 05/10/2020 - 06:34

actually i very love the imaginational films and series like(stranger things, Dark...) and sometimes illusive and last time films(like 100 ...) but we should accept that we are living in the earth planet and we should do something about our future generation and we should ready for hard condition i recommand the documatry of( Home) by Yann Artus

Submitted by Robin on Sun, 04/10/2020 - 11:41

Hi everyone, I am a new user on this website. I find it, very efficient. Well, to answer the question, I love watching documentaries, especially with my kids. We watch ones a lot and whatever the documentary. The last documentary I watched is about the environment. It was called "Tomorrow". The two filmmakers are French. They tell about differents ways to have a less consommation and to product less and better. It was very interesting to see that there are a lot of people in many countries worldwide who make the planet better
I'm looking forward to watching this documentary too.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Tue, 29/09/2020 - 09:03

This is the right question, I would like to say because I love documentary films. Especially about nature. I think the BBC makes the best documentary films. I watched them a lot. The last one was "Planet Earth". Awesome movie about our planet. Each episode shows a particular part of mother-nature: rivers, oceans, mountains, deserts, jungles and so. Every series strike your imagination with an unbelievably interesting story about different species in their habitat. All this looks so realistic, I really had that feeling like I stood near the operators or dived with them in the depth of water. And, of course, the problem of pollution was on the table in each episode. Unfortunately, we make a huge (and horrible, telling the truth) impact on the planet. Every day we kill our big home with rubbish, emissions, and forest clearance. It's hard to swallow pill, but sometimes, it seems, it would be better that humans don't exist at all. Honestly, I'm not a panic kind of guy but I can't imagine how we can manage all this damage we made.

Submitted by Nehir on Sat, 19/09/2020 - 10:12

Actually, I don't like documentaries but my sister likes so much. That's why sometimes I watch some of them. My favorite is 25 Litre. I would definetely recommend this. It is about how we can protect our water and reuse it. It's on National Geografics. In fact, I am bored when I am watching documentaries but it isn't boring. You can trust me.:) Have a look, it is absoluately important for everyone and also a good TV show.

Submitted by haiduong on Tue, 15/09/2020 - 14:36

The damage we've done to the environment is quite enormous, not just limited in the plastic-consuming area. Other problems such as deforestation, exhaust fumes increasing,... are gradually killing Mother Earth. "Before the flood" also has a great demonstration of this. Our extensive emission of chemicals such as CFC, CO2,... has created the dilemma-global warming whose effects are greatly dangerous. Not only this is reflected in the film but also many other matters are, too. So just watch it and I promise you it'll be worth your time.

Submitted by Roblox on Thu, 10/09/2020 - 16:22

I don't see a lot of these kind of movies but I know that the world is suffering because of using ginormous of plastic and I am concerned. It isn't just hurting mother nature but also animals. I am agree that we need to push government and society harder abandoning plastic for good. We need to move forward and protect our world and living things.

Submitted by Denmart on Mon, 31/08/2020 - 19:03

Hello everyone! I'd like to recommend you a movie "The true cost". It's the movie that can make you think about real cost of clothes. It illustrates the devastating impact of the modern fashion industry on the countries of the third world and our lives. Spoiler alert: just a simple dress can destroy marine life in some meaning. We now produce a staggering amount of clothes every single day. An we throw away the same amount every day. Our consumerism that swallows our money, time and happiness also forces the people of India, Africa and other places work for 10 dollars/month. The movie "The true cost" is worth your attention. Just watch it.

Submitted by Rashy on Thu, 27/08/2020 - 09:11

Hi i liked the course very much so this part of the course getting hard for me to understand because my level of English was lower before it helped me lot even though I could do with some help to understand these parts much appreciated

Submitted by Arezoo Maleki on Sat, 22/08/2020 - 14:38

I highly recommend watching "Man on Wire". It's about Philippe Petit who performed an incredible act: He walked across the twin towers of New York on a high wire rigged between the two buildings. although he was arrested after 1-hour dancing on there he is truly inspiring man.it is summed up in one statement Anything is possible if you put all of your heart into your goal and refuse to give up!!"

Submitted by melisong56 on Thu, 20/08/2020 - 13:03

I don’t really look much into the documentary films but I could recommend 一条 or we can call it “Yit” on youtube. It talks about the unique things of Chinese Lifestyle, in many sort of different way. What I like the most is when they talk about the architectural/Interior project that has been done in Asia. The channel itself has a very diligent way to shoot a scenes and represent the topic into amazing contents.

Submitted by nayelot on Mon, 17/08/2020 - 22:17

Hello everyone! I would recommend a documentarie about disease problems, diet, food industrie. "What The Health" It is really good film. :)

Submitted by nastasime on Wed, 22/07/2020 - 09:40

I also don't see the text and it's the first time I have this issue... I use firefox

Hello nastasime,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I've just checked this page in Firefox and was able to see the article. Could you please try using a different browser? Or you could try updating Firefox to the latest version.

I think that should work for you, but if not, please let us know. In the meantime, you're also welcome to read the article in the worksheet.

Probably you are using a kind of adblocker, verify that, if so, you should deactivate or pause the restriction on this page.(that happened to me but using chrome)
Profile picture for user zhaow

Submitted by zhaow on Tue, 30/06/2020 - 12:45

I would recommend a documentary about Chinese food, its name is 'a bite of China'. It presents a wide variety of unique vegetables, cuisines, cooking skills and cultures around China. It is a good way to learn about authentic Chinese food and related culture.

Submitted by Omer_moh on Sat, 27/06/2020 - 18:20

My favorite decumentary film about porsche car's factory. The factory located in Germany and the film tells how one of the most luxury cars in the world is made. Also it mentione why this vehicle consider one of the best cars in the world and It tells a bout the unique design of the vehicle and why porsche engineers choose to install the car's engine in the back moreover the reason of chosen flat type engine and the film provide more technical information about the type of brake system, air dynamic of the body, the hight of the car and the sophisticated system of the vehicle. I recommend to watch this film specially the car's fans and automobile engineers.

Submitted by Usaamaadam2 on Mon, 22/06/2020 - 05:40

I WOULD LIKE TO GO AND CHECK OUR INDIAN OCEAN IF THERE IS A PLASTIC OR NOTHING IS PRESENT

Submitted by MohamedMaher on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 21:35

after I read this, I am going to watch A Plastic Ocean

Submitted by Muhammad Bagir on Fri, 22/05/2020 - 04:07

I think Planet Earth on BBC is the best. It can makes us know our planet deeper.

Submitted by Muhammad Bagir on Fri, 22/05/2020 - 03:57

where is the text? i found an error here, the text doesn't appear on my browser..

Hello Muhammad Bagir,

The page seems to be working correctly to me. Sometimes the text and exercises are hidden until you click on the + sign in the green bar. If this does not make the text appear then there may be a compatibility issue with your system or browser. Do you have similar problems on other LearnEnglish pages? If so, you could try accessing the page on a different device to see if that helps.

If the problem persists, it may be a geographical issue. Some locations have local regulations which prevent certain content from being seen. Obviously, this is not something we can address.

Submitted by jsanchezv on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 18:28

Dear Ligma, I think that this is not a fake. You can find in the literature a lot of articles related with this topic. The plastic bags and other related product or derived from plastic is a topic that is a global problematic since is a related pollution topic. As this documentary is so interesting, you can also address your thinking in other way, I mean, you can take awareness about the actual global situation and try to avoid the use of plastic. Finally, I would like to recommend this documentary and definitively is a very interesting topic for learning English. :)

Submitted by Htet Min Khant… on Thu, 14/05/2020 - 08:58

I would like to recommend "Super Size Me" documentary film.It shows how fast-food can change our weight easily in a short time if we eat them regularly.We can see clearly the physical and mental side effects that we'll suffer when we are overweight in this.So,I suggest you to watch this film to know how important our diets are.

Submitted by Ahmadbassam on Sun, 10/05/2020 - 12:41

I would recommend A Plastic Ocean. It is an interesting and useful film.
Profile picture for user lucasfuini

Submitted by lucasfuini on Sat, 02/05/2020 - 12:58

I love documentaries and i would recommend "A Plastic Ocean" because it´s very important and urgent think about our model of life based in consumerism.

Submitted by Roberta75 on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 17:07

I have enjoyed the reading and I would recommend the Salgado documentary on how he and his family attempted to return to live a very desertic area in Brasil by planting many new trees
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Wed, 22/04/2020 - 22:37

I would recommend 'A Plastic Ocean".

Submitted by nour92 on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 18:16

I loved the article very informative and made me excited to watch the documentary

Submitted by begumoz on Thu, 16/04/2020 - 13:33

I would like to recommend a documantary called "Minimalism" that is about what the term the minimalism is, how we can live more likely the lifestyle, also what we have benefits after change our lifestyle. I think live minimal are related to reduce using plastic. If we want to save our world, we have to change our habbits. You can watch this documantary on Netflix Platform. I hope you enjoy.

Submitted by jazmin marquez on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 11:54

I would like to recommend a documentary called "La sal de la tierra" or "The Salt of the Earth" in English, which is very dramatic because it stress on the negative effects of human acts in every place, at every step. The film was made with the Brazilian photographer Andrés Salgado. They reflect on the international conflict, famine, migration and other problems on the five continents. Salgado makes us think that the supposed evolution that the world has had during the last 40 years, is nothing more than the setback of humanity. Finally, the documentary is on Netflix.

Submitted by Joanagr96 on Wed, 08/04/2020 - 19:28

Normally I don’t wact documentaries but the last documentary I saw, it was about Auschwitz.

Submitted by ligma on Mon, 30/03/2020 - 10:56

um this is possibly fake bacause the goverment kind of fakes these things (like the moonlanding) and i dont think that my plastic bags formed a island in india and blue whales cant exist because ther brains is soposedly bigger than ours but i dont see them as our overlords or anything alsow say my name. otherwise this is a good article to learn english on. : )

Submitted by Nguyễn Ngọc Hưng on Sun, 29/03/2020 - 04:42

What an useful article !

Submitted by ნანა on Sat, 28/03/2020 - 23:41

Hello everybody. I am so glad to have a chance study in "britishcouncil". There are a lot of documentary films. Today I watched "Red balloon" I would advise to see that film.

Submitted by msp2123 on Sun, 22/03/2020 - 20:17

I think governments should take lots of measures if we really want to save our planet, because all the effort some people are doing means nothing when there are lots of individuals that pollute the environment whithout any regrets.