Dictionary definitions

Read dictionary definitions for academic words and review parts of speech to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text
attend
(v)
to officially go to a place, like a school, university or class
You must attend 80 per cent of classes to pass the course.
dormitory plural dormitories
(n)
1. a place where many people sleep
2. US: a big building at a university where students live (UK: hall of residence)
I know John. He lives in my dorm at university.
faculty plural faculties
(n)
all the teachers who work at a university
Norman Brown was in the English faculty for twenty years.
teaching assistant
(n)
a person who works to help a university teacher in a classroom
The teaching assistant has the exams for you at the end of class.
tuition fee
(n)
an amount of money that you pay to go to university
Tuition fees are very high this year.
undergraduate
(n)
a student at a college or university who is studying for a first degree
They met when they were undergraduates at Cambridge University.
Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

A1 English level (elementary)

Submitted by Nurieta on Wed, 11/11/2020 - 11:46

I use the dictionary quite often. Years ago, I used to use a small dictionary that I had, but now I always work with the page Wordreference. It´s very useful.

Submitted by Ehsan on Tue, 10/11/2020 - 06:58

Because I am interested in foreign languages in particular English, I study English everyday and I use the dictionary everyday.

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Thu, 08/10/2020 - 16:05

I usually use English to English dictionary everyday. If I don't know new word meaning, I find this word from the dictionary. Nowadays, It is very easy to use dictionary because we have phone. If we have phone, we don't need to bring heavy book all the time. If we need to find any words, we type word we need in google. It is very easy today.

Submitted by Asni on Wed, 16/09/2020 - 21:36

I use a dictionary very often, especially when I'm studying English. I look up for a word not only when I don't understand the meaning, but also to know the pronounciation. As English is a non-phonetic language, a dictionary is a necessary tool to enhance either spelling skills or pronunciation. I use electronic dictionary just as most people do nowadays I suppose.
Profile picture for user shelly

Submitted by shelly on Mon, 07/09/2020 - 09:18

Comparing to hard dictionary I prefer to use soft one because it is faster to check meaning of the words that I do not know. While on the other hand the dictionary book is very suitable for me to take long time study and memory.

Submitted by sonjoy on Sun, 06/09/2020 - 11:13

I randomly use hard copy of dictionary but i am very much habituated with my smart phone dictionary,it is extremely easy to find out any words within single moment of times.Also, it shows synonym and antonym of the particular word i like it.

Submitted by Pola on Sat, 05/09/2020 - 19:51

Iam use the dictionary every day .

Submitted by Maria19 on Sun, 02/08/2020 - 21:53

I use the dictionary virtually often.

Submitted by fatfat on Fri, 10/07/2020 - 12:31

I always use dictionary when I study English. Especially I use to find second meaning of the word.

Submitted by Ronake on Mon, 29/06/2020 - 23:01

I use the dictionary every day when I see any new words that I didn't hear before. Usually, I use an electronic dictionary, it reliable and suitable. But also using a dictionary book, it's helpful for finding the meaning of the word that u need to know, and finding some examples where to use it.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 11:58

I use dictionaries every day. Because I learn two foreign languages (English and Polish) and also I need it sometimes when I'm not sure if I use Ukrainian words correctly. Fortunately, we can use electronic dictionaries nowadays. It's much handier than paper ones. I still remember how it was when you had to use those fat books and spent time on thumbing ((

Submitted by Bushra.a on Thu, 18/06/2020 - 01:03

I know about the advantages of use the dictionary as a book but I’m rarely use it, I use dictionary from my Phone

Submitted by EnglishIsChildsPlay on Wed, 17/06/2020 - 10:12

The paper dictionary has more meanings than Google Translator, but I prefer the online one because I can research wherever I want. I sometimes use the dictionary when I find words that I don’t know.

Submitted by SimbuKrishnan on Thu, 11/06/2020 - 13:55

Often I use the dictionary by Phone

Submitted by Leonardo Lisboa on Sat, 06/06/2020 - 00:21

It's rarely, when I have doubts about some word I use Siri, the iphone's assistant.
Profile picture for user Onur

Submitted by Onur on Thu, 04/06/2020 - 12:04

I do not use dictionary as a book. If I need to learn a word which I don't know, I use Google Translate app on my phone. Btw, I try to translate English to English as possible as I can.

Submitted by eshan.saif on Wed, 03/06/2020 - 16:21

I use dictionary in my regular life. When I read any articles or any news in English, I find many words difficult and totally unknown. To get a clear idea about those texts, i often take help from dictionary. As i use dictionary in my regular life that's why i have installed Dictionary app in my mobile phone and it has made my life very easy to keep my connected myself learning new words everyday.

Submitted by Thucuoi on Mon, 25/05/2020 - 05:41

My English is not good so i usually use the dictionary to translate any words i don't understand. I choose Cambridge Dictionary because it's a standard.

Submitted by casssioesousa on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 04:16

I use the dictionary all days. Frequently, I find new words in my mother tongue, the Portuguese, and see other new words in English that I study daily.

Submitted by mouna99 on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 16:20

I rarely use dictionary

Submitted by Muhammad Bagir on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 04:22

Always. There are so many word that i don't know. In every article or book that i read, there must be on or two word that i have no idea what's the meaning is.
Profile picture for user Anatoliy S.

Submitted by Anatoliy S. on Fri, 15/05/2020 - 17:43

It was really very helpful to learn these new words

Submitted by Nyanko Neko on Fri, 15/05/2020 - 14:11

i use dictionary everyday to learn new word. It is very helpful for me. But, recently i usually use google translation because it is easier and commom

Submitted by c.lopes23 on Thu, 14/05/2020 - 13:46

I use the dictionary every day, mainly for translate

Submitted by Raimbek on Sun, 10/05/2020 - 04:02

I use dictionary when I want write comment or I don't understand text

Submitted by Nam on Thu, 07/05/2020 - 10:08

I always use a dictionary when I meet a new vocabulary that is hard to understand. The dictionary is chosen when I need to use is the Cambridge Dictionary because I believe it easy to use and understand.

Submitted by mohua on Mon, 27/04/2020 - 16:31

I use English to Bengali Dictionary & google translate most time if i need.

Submitted by jason2295 on Fri, 24/04/2020 - 01:47

I usually use the dictionary when I don't know the meaning of a world.

Submitted by Djoo on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 04:20

English is not my second language so i always use dictionary app.

Submitted by Ronake on Sun, 19/04/2020 - 23:14

I use google translate, most of time.

Submitted by Melsaied264 on Sat, 11/04/2020 - 01:44

I used to use an old dictionary when I was studying ,but recently after graduation I use google translation because it is easier and more common
Profile picture for user Berny Herrera

Submitted by Berny Herrera on Wed, 08/04/2020 - 04:50

Years ago, I used to study English, basic German and my mother tongue: Spanish with dictionaries in order to get a bank of words (vocabulary). Now, I use "The wordreference.com" dictionary. It is an online dictionary and it gives you the pronunciation, explanation (meaning), its context uses and even examples of the words you are looking for.
Profile picture for user zabiullah

Submitted by zabiullah on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 15:19

i always use online dictionary on my phone when i dont know the exact meaning the words. sometimes when words have different meaning we must look for the right meaning. some my friends tell me why do you use dictionary but i response them english language has a complicate language...
Profile picture for user OlaIELTS

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Sat, 28/03/2020 - 20:52

I use dictionary more often.

Submitted by Mahmoud Gadelk… on Sat, 28/03/2020 - 17:01

I use it a lot, actually I am using it at the moment.

Submitted by Oktavia on Wed, 25/03/2020 - 14:01

I use dictionary by app in smartphone. It makes me easy looking for words that's I want to know.

Submitted by ezzadin on Wed, 25/03/2020 - 11:25

I you dictionary when I meet new words I don't know their meaning . Becuase Iam still studying english by my self and and learning vocabularies to make me confident when I want speak english fluently.

Submitted by HMida on Mon, 23/03/2020 - 12:52

I use a dictionary essentially for understand some nouns and verbs. Actually, there are also the translation sites. They allows to translate paragraphs and give the signification of phrases.
Profile picture for user Sergei Baskakov

Submitted by Sergei Baskakov on Sat, 07/03/2020 - 11:54

I use a dictionary every day. I think it's OK because English is my second language
Profile picture for user Tun Lin

Submitted by Tun Lin on Sat, 07/03/2020 - 01:04

I use the dictionary when I see an unknown word more than three times.

Submitted by ademyonet on Fri, 14/02/2020 - 15:04

I use a dictionary for every word I don't know. However, dictionary using decreases in course of time.

Submitted by MaryaSun on Fri, 17/01/2020 - 17:06

Hi, i use dictionary every time that i meet a new word and i don't know its meaning. When i was child i used it a lot, instead now i use dictionary only few times.
Profile picture for user Optimist

Submitted by Optimist on Sun, 12/01/2020 - 08:15

I'm use a dictionary every day practice

Submitted by serena lee on Mon, 06/01/2020 - 15:25

I usually use dictionary. When I was child, I always Vietnamese - English dictionnary. But now I grown up and I find out a secret that is using English-english dictionary will be better than for studying English.

Submitted by nverma on Thu, 02/01/2020 - 17:28

I used to refer to dictionary during my childhood when there were no resources such as internet or the online apps. Whenever I need to know the meaning, I either use online dictionary or the dictionary app on my phone. It's usage depends on the requirement. Sometimes, it is like 20 words a day and the other times, it is like a single word in 20 days.
Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Mon, 23/12/2019 - 13:47

I am using dictionary everyday . Because i write emails in English in my work . also i study english everyday too then I use the dictionary as well.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Mon, 23/12/2019 - 13:37

I rarely use the dictionary. if I don't know the meaning of a word I search it in some web sites for example Google Translate.

Submitted by frfandinod79 on Thu, 28/11/2019 - 13:48

i usually use the dictionary when i study english. it help me to know the difficult words