Dictionary definitions

Read dictionary definitions for academic words and review parts of speech to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text
attend
(v)
to officially go to a place, like a school, university or class
You must attend 80 per cent of classes to pass the course.
dormitory plural dormitories
(n)
1. a place where many people sleep
2. US: a big building at a university where students live (UK: hall of residence)
I know John. He lives in my dorm at university.
faculty plural faculties
(n)
all the teachers who work at a university
Norman Brown was in the English faculty for twenty years.
teaching assistant
(n)
a person who works to help a university teacher in a classroom
The teaching assistant has the exams for you at the end of class.
tuition fee
(n)
an amount of money that you pay to go to university
Tuition fees are very high this year.
undergraduate
(n)
a student at a college or university who is studying for a first degree
They met when they were undergraduates at Cambridge University.
Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

A1 English level (elementary)

Submitted by Fadiazzam on Sat, 30/07/2022 - 12:10

I tray to use the dictionary to practice English and improve my skills in English

Submitted by huahua on Wed, 20/07/2022 - 02:39

Normally, I use dictionary when I want to know the meanings of new words.
I think I usually use it everyday. It's very interesting to learn new words.

Submitted by Tami_hero on Thu, 07/07/2022 - 09:59

How often do you use a dictionary?

I never use a dictionary, i currently using google translate.
i think few people use dictionary in this time, they all use google translate because they spend all of theire time surfing internet.

Submitted by yaser14 on Wed, 06/07/2022 - 21:46

I never use a traditional dictionary, but I use the online dictionary daily

Submitted by najib.oulhouch on Sun, 05/06/2022 - 20:59

How often do you use a dictionary?
i'use a online dictionay to search the meaning of each words and verbs

Submitted by jyoti Chaudhary on Fri, 27/05/2022 - 13:22

How often do you use a dictionary?

I use a dictionary daily because I learn new words from my vocabulary books and I find the meaning of the words.

Submitted by tryyourbest on Sat, 21/05/2022 - 05:04

How often do you use a dictionary?
I use dictionary everyday, especially google translate.
I have to write emails to American customer, so I often translate the content I want to send.
I often use Cambridge English - English Dictionary to find the words' meaning. I think it's so helpful when you try to understand new English words by English words you have known.

Submitted by Kiruba on Tue, 17/05/2022 - 16:53

I use dictionary every day. For increase my vocabulary knowledge

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Wed, 11/05/2022 - 23:55

When I have difficulty of any meaning of word, I use a dictionary.

Submitted by badboyzz on Tue, 26/04/2022 - 12:30

When I was in elemantry school ,I always use dictionary around homework time but now Still I am using dictionary to study English :) I love learn new things .I want to stay student through life .

Submitted by Hadeer Bahr on Sat, 26/03/2022 - 15:39

when I was a kid I was using a dictionary for a while but now I just use Google Translate or Reverso app:)!

Submitted by Amin Kourani on Fri, 25/02/2022 - 14:51

How often do you use a dictionary?
Mostly I use dictionary to find the mean of a word, but nowadays I only use online dictionary.

Submitted by Kamelbenslimane on Tue, 25/01/2022 - 12:51

I never use dictionary, but I use Google Translate, it is so easy and fast

Submitted by ClaraKhin on Mon, 20/12/2021 - 14:55

The dictionary involves my everyday life.
I use to explore every words I want to know and I have to know in the dictionary. It's a vital.

Submitted by nguyenquoctai6798 on Tue, 30/11/2021 - 02:37

Usually, I'm only use dictionary to know how it sound, and i search google an image of words to know it actually what. It is best for me.

Submitted by ANOUAR on Thu, 11/11/2021 - 09:14

In the age of the internet, I don't use the dictionnary, if I want to know the definition of a word I use Google translate or contexto reverso app!

Submitted by Bena - Mustafa on Sat, 30/10/2021 - 02:41

actually , I don't use , I using google translate because it faster , when i want to search meaning something .

Submitted by ayaabdo on Tue, 26/10/2021 - 00:14

Actually, I don't use it, I search in google translate when I want to know the meaning of something because it's faster in search.

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Sun, 24/10/2021 - 12:29

it is sometimes when i learn english and there are words that i don't know what is it means.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Fri, 15/10/2021 - 19:07

When I don't know meaning of any word then I use dictionary. It's very useful I get the meaning of words.

Submitted by KATIELLE RAIAN… on Sun, 11/07/2021 - 14:36

I hardly ever use the dictionary.

Submitted by avenesra on Fri, 18/06/2021 - 19:19

I use dictionary every day
Profile picture for user PuenteD

Submitted by PuenteD on Tue, 01/06/2021 - 02:11

Normally when I read a book, I had been a dictionary.

Submitted by Laura390 on Thu, 27/05/2021 - 02:38

Generally, I use the diccionary all days for learn vocabulary and understand english sentences
Profile picture for user Marce-English

Submitted by Marce-English on Sun, 23/05/2021 - 19:54

I frequently use the google translator for any query.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Wed, 05/05/2021 - 04:43

Often, I use internet for search words. Searching words in dictionary takes time to explore. But internet so quickly find the words.

Submitted by DarwinM on Tue, 13/04/2021 - 21:05

I hardly ever use a dictionay because I prefer to use internet.

Submitted by victor.07 on Wed, 07/04/2021 - 15:57

I don't use dictionary often
Profile picture for user mirtha

Submitted by mirtha on Thu, 25/03/2021 - 19:11

I used to use the Dictionary, but now I use the Internet.

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Thu, 25/03/2021 - 18:30

I usually use dictionaries, I use an English dictionary and a Spanish dictionary.

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Fri, 19/03/2021 - 00:45

Usually I do not use a dictionary, it take lot of time for me. I use translator, instead. Though I have packet dictionary, It belonged mine grandmother. This dictionary very little and nice)

Submitted by Alex.BC on Tue, 16/03/2021 - 14:53

I often use a dictionary while learning English.

Submitted by Veronikka on Sun, 14/03/2021 - 23:44

I use dictionary every day for search new words or phrases. If you are learning a language, it's a useful instrument for increase your vocabulary.

Submitted by PARIMALA MADIAZHAKAN on Tue, 09/03/2021 - 03:38

Yes definitely , I use dictionary to search some vocabulary that I can't understand directly. Some of my friends underestimate on me because I still used dictionary while they used internet to search definition of some difficult phrases. But for me dictionary is the best thing that can help you to search definition of some phrases.

Submitted by TIa vinaka on Fri, 05/03/2021 - 04:55

I don't use dictionary so much, I google the words instead. My school days I used dictionary book but anymore. especially, book, I use electric type more.

Submitted by Nasywa Shiyami… on Thu, 18/02/2021 - 03:52

i usually use the dictonary while study about foreign language, especially english

Submitted by Daniel16 on Tue, 09/02/2021 - 20:00

I never use dictionary

Submitted by senaguner on Mon, 01/02/2021 - 03:09

When I study English I use a online dictionary everyday. I want to learn English so I read English news, books, articles. So I need to use English dictionary for my unknow words.

Submitted by In on Sun, 24/01/2021 - 08:19

I do almost every day, but not more on paper only online.

Submitted by Leila77 on Sun, 24/01/2021 - 07:39

I often use dictionary when am I studying English. Sometimes it's a dictionary book but most of the time it's an app or google translator.

Submitted by Aliz on Fri, 15/01/2021 - 05:26

Yes, I used the dictionary book. I use the dictionary book when I wanna know words. Now I use the dictionary with my phone an app. It is very useful for me. It can be used everywhere. I think it is very useful for everyone. So we must use the dictionary book or the dictionary with the phone an app usefully.

Submitted by Ella on Fri, 15/01/2021 - 05:18

I often use dictionary when I wanna search the new words that I don't know. Actually, I always use it to improve my vocabulary skill and I use the new words back in my daily life that I searched from the dictionary. The more I search the new words the more I can use them when I speak in English. So, I think dictionaries are very useful for everyone and I wanna advise you that you should search the new words(10 words) everyday.

Submitted by German on Tue, 12/01/2021 - 23:29

I often use the dictionary on my phone with an app tha I downloaded one year ago.

Submitted by Hla Htwan Tin on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 04:44

I use a dictionary whenever I need to look for a word that I don't know.

Submitted by Tatiana barrera on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 02:23

I usually use a dictionary, because with this book I can search for words that I don't know, the grammarly and examples about them use.

Submitted by pabloxje on Thu, 10/12/2020 - 03:34

Now that I'm studying I use frequently the dictionary so I can find the meaning of different words.

Submitted by fariba on Tue, 08/12/2020 - 09:07

when i learn English a use dictionary.

Submitted by Pedro Javier on Fri, 13/11/2020 - 14:48

I always use a dictionary when I am studying English or when I am reading a book, newspaper or magazine, also when I am watching a video, I copy the words I don't know and then I find out their meaning in the dictionary I also use the google translator to listen to the sounds of the word

Submitted by Nurieta on Wed, 11/11/2020 - 11:46

I use the dictionary quite often. Years ago, I used to use a small dictionary that I had, but now I always work with the page Wordreference. It´s very useful.