A poster for exam candidates

Read the poster outside an exam room to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

Poster 1

FINAL EXAM INSTRUCTIONS

• Doors close 5 minutes before the exam begins.
  • Show your student ID card to examiner when you enter the room.
  • No phones, no books.

Poster 2

BEFORE THE EXAM

• Have your ID card ready.
  • Listen to the instructions.
  • Arrive 10 minutes before exam.

IN THE EXAM

• Mobile phones switched off and put away.
  • ID card visible on the desk.
  • No talking.
  • No food or drinks in exam room.

Poster 3

• Follow the examiner's instructions.
  • If you have a question, raise your hand.
  • No mobile phones, books or bags in the exam.
  • Please use a blue or black pen.

Submitted by 함보민 on Sun, 15/03/2020 - 03:15

as a Korean, I have been taking so many exams. and it is proceeding.. I am always nervous for exam. It seems like never be adaptable to take a exam.

Submitted by jharna on Tue, 10/03/2020 - 07:27

Hi, I have a question. the first poster says: "Show your student ID card to examiner when you enter the room." and the third: "Follow the examiner's instructions." For what reasons has "the" been omitted in the 1st and included in the 2nd? Can "the" be used in the first. Thanks.

Submitted by Kirk on Wed, 11/03/2020 - 07:18

In reply to by jharna

Hello jharna

Yes, it's possible to use 'the' in the first poster and in fact is what we would say in a normal text. But often signs have abbreviated language -- that is, nonessential words are removed -- to make the message shorter. That's why it's not in the first poster.

All the best

Submitted by Sergei Baskakov on Wed, 04/03/2020 - 19:06

Now and when I was younger, I was afraid of exams.

Submitted by anny_B on Wed, 04/03/2020 - 01:17

hi guys. my name is anny, i just moved to the united states, and i am trying to improve my english skills. i was wondering if any of you could help me. i'm afraid to speak with people face to face, i know it sounds stupid, considering the fact that it will help me to gain confidence and to develop my skills, but i will be glad if any of you could me.

Hi Anny,

It can be hard to become more confident in a second language. The key is practice. The more you use English, the more confident you will become. Since you are in an English-speaking environment now, you have plenty of opportunity to practise and you will improve. Remember, most people are very patient when someone is learning the language. Think about how you react when someone is trying to speak your language and is having problems. Most people will be positive and try to help, so don't feel bad if your English is not perfect. Keep trying and it will improve!

Submitted by alexrinconr on Fri, 28/02/2020 - 22:46

No, in this momento don`t have exams, I put a lot of for my students jajajaja jajajaj

Submitted by pacha809 on Tue, 25/02/2020 - 12:44

Obviously, like all the students I took many tests. When we knew in advance that the teacher was going to interrogate us, I wasn't afraid. But when he surprised us with a surprise test, I wasn't sure onmyself. And I didn't like that. After, I became myself a teacher. I always told my students the date of the test.

Submitted by Sandar Soe on Tue, 25/02/2020 - 08:06

Yes, I like exams.

Submitted by Alaa Basha on Sun, 09/02/2020 - 05:51

I used to have before when I was at collage, but now I'm working so It's rarely to have. For me having exams makes me too worried and stressful, however, I like it for I feel the challenge with myself and others.

Submitted by SureshMaryan on Fri, 31/01/2020 - 14:13

Yes, i like more

Submitted by haroonrahimi on Tue, 28/01/2020 - 07:17

Yes, I have about 12 exams after 3 moths. I have to give those exams during 20 days, they will select the start and end dates.

Submitted by Lapina on Wed, 22/01/2020 - 01:57

Yes, at the end of semester I have exams. And I don’t like it, because it’s a little bit stressful for me. I’d like to know, how do you prepare for exams? Can you share with your experience?
Exams are stressful for me too, but if I am prepared before it will decrease my stress. What I am doing for preparation that make me confident and easy to give the exams is study on daily based and also more and more study of the same topic. As more I study one topic as much more I can remember that.

Submitted by MaryaSun on Fri, 17/01/2020 - 15:45

Hi, when i was an university student i usually did about 10 exam every years. I was always ready for it but sometimes i was very stressed and full of anxiety. Now i have finished to study at university and i am attending an IT course. I will do the final exam next Tuesday morning and i am ready and a lot of quiet.

Submitted by Tagreeaad on Mon, 13/01/2020 - 21:42

I had more exams our brain will be more active and we are more nervous and irratable

Submitted by Nisha Hari on Wed, 08/01/2020 - 05:54

Yes, i do not like exams.

Submitted by mdiaz on Thu, 02/01/2020 - 17:20

No i dont have a lot of exams, but the last exam was fifteen days ago in my job this exam it was about the informatión about the company from diferents areas for example tecnology, amidimistratión, security and others and the results was amazing i got a good qualification 96% of 100 %.

Submitted by Aung Zar Lin on Fri, 27/12/2019 - 14:47

Yes, I have a lots of exam. I study only the day before the exam and I do well in the exam. I like the exam because it makes me feel exciting.

Submitted by Eswar on Fri, 27/12/2019 - 04:17

Yes I have .Yes apparently I like the exams because We knows that how our brain functions while in exams.But exams are stressed.

Submitted by Magedelabd on Wed, 18/12/2019 - 13:31

Yes I have a lot of exams . everyday I study and go through the British council lessons.

Submitted by Philiph on Sat, 14/12/2019 - 11:36

I don't have any exam, but i did once at my last company, i was doing customer service job and my leader asked me to go for AWS it engineer exam and of course i failed then i got fired by that, (issue) the task 1 i choosed 7 answers and i couldn;'t click next one, i don't know if any issues with the web page.

Hi Philiph,

For Task 1 you need to choose more than one answer for some of the questions. You can see how many selections you still need to make on the right.

Submitted by honghanh on Tue, 26/11/2019 - 10:55

I have a lots of exam in this month. I feel really stressed and exhausted about it.

Submitted by elit.sw on Mon, 25/11/2019 - 09:00

I have so many exams in different subjects, and I hate all of them. they make me nervous even if I know I can easily pass them.

Submitted by Thaohp on Tue, 12/11/2019 - 02:08

Yes, I have a lot of exams. Especially, now, I’m going to graduate the university so I have to finish my report and several certificates. i feel like very stressful and exhausted.

Submitted by Laura390 on Sat, 09/11/2019 - 15:58

Whe I was at university I had exams at final semester but these weren´t no many. I don´t like the exams because a think that this are bored, but These are necessary for can see how our abilities are developing.

Submitted by le van son on Fri, 08/11/2019 - 04:17

Yes. I have a lot. No. I don't like it. If I have an exam I must learn many things to prepare knowledge.

Submitted by hoailinh on Mon, 28/10/2019 - 02:07

Now, I'm twenty-two years old. Of course, I passed a lot of exams. Perhaps, in my opinion as well as many people, the university entrance exam is the most important and pressure. Because, this is your future decision exam. It related to your university, your major. Moreover, it carries all the expectation of your parents. Luckily, I passed this exam. Although my score weren't high, but my parents weren't disappointed.

Submitted by Nayara dos San… on Fri, 25/10/2019 - 02:43

I had a lot of exams when I study Law at university. Now, I don't have a lot of exams. I just had two exams.

Submitted by tran1995 on Mon, 14/10/2019 - 23:42

I have a lot of exam when I haven't graduated the university yet. My major is electrical automation , I always must calculator and remember recipe

Submitted by Mandela on Mon, 14/10/2019 - 21:22

We must listen to the text, It's too stupid if we reading without listening. ☹️

Submitted by saray on Mon, 14/10/2019 - 06:15

Hi dears. ActualIy l love exams, and I try noticing to the instructions, for example: no talking in the exam, no book, not only(drink & food) .But I have a basically for arrive early.

Submitted by Abdelmouttalib on Wed, 25/09/2019 - 20:11

Yes, I did have a lot of exams, In reality i didn't like it too much

Submitted by ahmad enabosey on Wed, 18/09/2019 - 09:52

Hey all I don't like exams. Unless if they a multiple choice. My optical memory cause that i like it.

Submitted by Tama on Wed, 11/09/2019 - 15:58

I don't have any exams bcoz I'm not a student anymore. I really hate exams bcoz it makes me so stressfull. I used to make a lot of preparations for the exams, but, I'm still nervous.

Submitted by Mr Zaw Htway on Tue, 10/09/2019 - 15:03

I'm so glad to answer the question.

Submitted by Lakshi on Sun, 08/09/2019 - 05:08

Yes , l have my A/L exam. In December

Submitted by Dieudonné on Mon, 02/09/2019 - 19:30

I start my last year of Master's degree today. They already plan examens. I am so stressed.

Submitted by shahramuteng on Sun, 18/08/2019 - 14:02

NO, Because I finished my student life. But before that, I had a lot of different exams, in different mods and situations. most of them related to student life but some of them was related to the finding job. I liked only some of them which were practical or project-based, to tell truth, I hate paper exam!!

Submitted by funnylearn on Wed, 14/08/2019 - 04:57

I took a lot of exams in the past and I hate it. Examination kind of to review How did you understand the lessons. but sometimes the teacher added more to difficult . So If you are not to learn and expand your knowledge , you can not do it well.

Submitted by drphungmanhtien on Wed, 14/08/2019 - 03:36

I have pass many exam. For me, the English exam is the most difficult. But I try to learn it, so that I can pass it in the future.

Submitted by Ghaith MA on Thu, 08/08/2019 - 08:56

Actually I HATE EXAMS ! but in your academic life you have to take them just improve your skill and to make an evidence about your success ! but must of exams are boring I like practical exams in labs or something like this NOT: I totally agree that exams don't judge or assess the intelligence of the student !

Submitted by A.Nasiri on Sat, 03/08/2019 - 02:57

I think every exam should have its own discipline and the students have to observed all the above rules during exam. I have passed many exams but they didn't contain the above rules.

Submitted by Mohamed92 on Sat, 27/07/2019 - 17:40

yes I have lot exams, yes I very like exam because I task my self

Submitted by Winterson on Fri, 26/07/2019 - 23:18

I really like this excersises... they help me so much..

Submitted by DmitryS7 on Mon, 22/07/2019 - 06:08

Yes, I had a lot of exam. I like only exams that was cool for me when I studied them.