A travel guide

Read a travel guide about Bangkok to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

Whether you're travelling to the islands or the mountains of Thailand, you're likely to spend at least one night in its capital city on the way. Bangkok might be noisy and polluted but it's also an exciting city with plenty of things to see and do. Why not make it a longer stay?

Where to stay

The Khao San Road was a famous traveller spot even before Leonardo di Caprio's character in the film The Beach stayed there. But it's noisy, not very pretty and not very Thai. For something more authentic, Phra Kanong offers an alternative place to stay, with its fantastic street markets where everyday Bangkok people eat, work and live. It's not as convenient for the main tourist sites, but it has a Skytrain station so you can be at the Grand Palace in 20 minutes.

How to get around

Bangkok's traffic can be a nightmare. Sure, you can easily take a taxi – if you want to spend hours stuck in traffic jams – but there are two much better ways to get around the city. To explore the temples and historical sites, catch an express boat river taxi or a longtail boat along the Chao Phraya river and the canals. For the modern part of the city, the Skytrain is a fast, cheap way to travel from the river to the shopping malls and nightlife of Sukhumvit, and the famous Chatuchak street market.

Where to eat

The simple answer is: everywhere! Thai street food is among the best in the world, and for around $5 you can eat a filling and delicious meal. Some food stands have little plastic seats where you can sit and eat and they cook the same dish over and over, like fried chicken on rice or Pad Thai noodles. Head for Chinatown – Yaowarat Street – and choose whatever looks most interesting from the many excellent Chinese and Thai restaurants and food stands.

What to do

After you've seen the main sites like the Giant Buddha at the temple of Wat Pho and the spectacular Grand Palace, and shopped at Chatuchak market, check out the snake farm and watch the live snake show. You can even touch a snake yourself if you want to!

Submitted by Naru Yasuda on Sun, 26/07/2020 - 15:30

I want to go to Bangkok. Because I think it has a lot of good points. First, many people said Bangkok is asleep country. It is because Bangkok has a lot of places, foods, shops, views and so on. So if we were went to Bangkok, we should enjoy all days and you will have a good experience. Second, it has a beautiful view. It has many gold buildings. I think it looks like Aladdin’s world. I like Aladdin very much. So, I want to see this beautiful view at once. For these reasons, I want to go to Bangkok

Submitted by NANAKA on Mon, 13/07/2020 - 09:09

Hello! I haven't been to Bangkok in Thailand yet. I have a friend from Thailand . I heard from her that Thailand is cheerful country and pro-Japanese. I'm also interested in original cultures. But I'm worried because the country has very poor sanitation. Moreover, I don't like ethnic food and coriander. I've tried so many times, but I still don't eat it. Coriander tastes like medicine. If I have a chance to visit abroad, I'd like to go to other country. Sorry.

Submitted by Risa on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 08:08

I would like to go to Bangkok someday. I have never go there up to the present. My aunt often goes there. She always gave souvenir for my family. In most cases, the souvenir is spices or foodstuffs. I’m bad at this taste. But, my parents like it. If I can overcome Bangkok’s local food in the future, I want go to there with my parents. My knowledge of Bangkok is shallow idea, But I know there has a lot of temple. There temples are so beautiful, gorgeous and colorful. I think Japanese temples are frugally than Bangkok. So, I want to see many temples with own eyes. I searched about Bangkok as my interest. There has a lot of sightseeing place, such as cruising, market and pool. If the coronavirus ends, I want to make up a plan for travel to Bangkok.

Submitted by Dr.Mohamed A. Zein on Sat, 27/06/2020 - 13:43

Yes, I would like go ...I want really to see and enjoy different culture, food and places. If I have money I will visit that place

Submitted by Dr Doaa Mahmoud on Sat, 27/06/2020 - 13:36

Yes, of course. I'd like to visit Bangkok as I like travelling to new places and countries. If I have money, I will think

Submitted by laiiiilerrrr on Wed, 17/06/2020 - 06:04

Yes I would like to visit Bangkok because it is one of the world’s most visited city. The country also have many interactive places from the unbeatable street food to the temples, markets and over-the-top luxury.

Submitted by Riko on Mon, 15/06/2020 - 03:40

I would like to visit Bangkok someday. I think there are many places for sightseeing and interesting foods. I'm interested in culture of Thailand. Also, I want to see the snake farm and watch the live snake show. Of course, I want to touch a snake. I have impression of Bangkok that is a lively capital. Thailand is not far from Japan, so I want to go to Bangkok.

Submitted by ryota on Sun, 14/06/2020 - 16:32

I would like to visit Bangkok in Thai. I have never been to Bangkok before. I am very interested in other culture. So I want to know Bangkok's food culture, custom, and so on. I want to eat Thai's street food. According to this article, Thai's street food is among the best in the world, and for around 5$.I don't have a lot of money. One of my dreams is to eat a lot of delicious food with little money. Also, I want to go to a temple. I heard there are a lot of buddhist and a lot of temple in Bangkok. I think religion has a great influence on the origin of the culture of the country. For these reasons, I would like to visit Bangkok in Thai.

Submitted by Sharif Tayyebi on Sat, 13/06/2020 - 16:54

I have heard and seen something interesting about Thailand, but I am not interested in traveling to Thailand. There are many reasons, but the most important one is that I don't know the language of this country. I know the importance of traveling to and other southern parts of Asia. All these countries have nice places for sightseeing, and their cultures are a lovely part of human's experiences. Therefore, if I can learn English fluently, then I will choose Thailand as a travel destination. I wish that I can very soon. Regards, Tayyebi

Submitted by sosabeli on Sat, 13/06/2020 - 02:33

I really love bird, like REALLY I would love to see ewhat of birds species are in Bangkok, to see marine species and all kind of animals that are in there. Bangkok sound like a really nice place and also with a nice people.

Submitted by SamerTJ on Thu, 11/06/2020 - 08:13

Yes, of course, because I like travelling to new places, trying new foods and making new friends from different cultures. I have had no idea about Thailand before reading this text and it seems amazing.

Submitted by Nanami on Mon, 08/06/2020 - 09:45

I haven't been interested in Thailand until now, but this time I found out about tourism there and I really would like to visit Bangkok. Because we can go shopping and eat local foods cheaply. The great thing is they are very low costs but we can get good products and delicious foods. The place I want to visit is a huge shopping mall popular with young people. I've seen a TV program about sightseeing in Bangkok. The color of Thai miscellaneous goods were very flashy and it had a charm that Japanese things don't have, so I want to buy colorful bags or clothes. Thailand is close to Japan, so I'd like to travel once.

Submitted by Osuke on Wed, 03/06/2020 - 09:42

Yes. I would like to visit Bangkok. I've never been there, so I want to go there and see the night view. And Bangkok is attractive because it is close to Japan and I can go at a cheap price. Then there is another reason why I want to go. The reason is that I want to eat Thai food. I really like shrimp, so I want to eat Tom Yum Kung! I also want to visit some tourist spot in Bangkok. For example, swimming in the sea called Pattaya, shopping at a big shopping mall, or riding elephant at Ayutthaya ruins. I really want to go and try various things.

Submitted by Arezoo on Wed, 03/06/2020 - 01:53

I am sure I would like to visit Bangkok again. That was quit interesting for me to visit temples and getting familiar with their culture also there was opportunity to enjoy street seafood. Besides I should confess that I got impressed by unique market which is called flow market. You can find a range of goods there from handicraft to tropical fruit. It is an asset for me to visit such a diverse place again.

Submitted by Stela Stoycheva on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 13:37

Yes, I would like go there...When I saw picture it`s looking really different from European countries, different culture, food. If I have money I will visit that place :)

Submitted by Y on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 10:36

Yes, I would like to visit Bangkok. I like seeing a lot of sightseeing spots, because I can feel the energy and escape from reality. I think that Bangkok has a lot of colorful buildings and very nice view at night. If I visit Bangkok, I want to go shopping and try to many food. Especially, I want to go to ICONSIAM. There is very big shopping mall. I like shopping and clothes, so I want to go there to buy clothes or accessories. In addition, I want to eat Tom yam kung. I have ever eaten it in Japan. But I want to eat real Tom yam kung!!! So, I have a lot of things to go to Bangkok. I hope I can go there someday.

Submitted by yusuke on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 08:09

Of course, I do. Because there are a lot of temples and delicious Thai food. They really attract me. I want to study their culture. I think I will not feel enough about one day trip. If I plan to go, it will be a week or so. My goal in the trip is to make friends and keep in touch even I back to Japan.

Submitted by Ayaka on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 07:56

I have never been to any other countries but I really want to go to many countries.This is because I can touch other cultures. Also, it let me think differently. So, I read this article and want to visit Thailand one day. Speaking of Thailand, an image full of colorful things. If I can go there I would like to enjoy the scenery, eat tropical fruits, have a Thai massage, interact with animals that we can't interact with in Japan and have a relaxing time there.It seems that I can have various experiences like these, It will be a good time for my growth.

Submitted by Wakana M on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 03:56

Yes. I’ve never been to Bangkok, so I would like to go there once. I would like to visit to many countries, and I think it would be good way to know other country’s culture and lifestyle. In addition, I often hear that there are beautiful sites, and we can interact with animals such as tigers or elephants. I want to see sites and interact with them. However, I have a reason what I don’t want to visit there. my sister has been there once, she said “I couldn’t eat Thai food, because they were all too spicy.” I thought I couldn’t eat either. Because I don’t like spicy foods. But I also think that it’s important to challenge anything. So, I would like to go there.

Submitted by senes19 on Sun, 31/05/2020 - 12:48

I didn't. But I would like to travel to Bangkok. I have never heart anything about city. However, I have never met before any person who has lived in there, I want to see and explore to this city. Differences is attractive for me.

Submitted by Mirna Crisostomo on Wed, 27/05/2020 - 18:40

Yes, I would like it. It`s always good to know other cultures and Bangkok is interesting!!

Submitted by mouna99 on Wed, 27/05/2020 - 18:30

I would like to try the food there

Submitted by mouna99 on Wed, 27/05/2020 - 18:29

Yes I would like to visit Bangkok, I saw an amazing pictures of the city

Submitted by Julia19 on Sun, 24/05/2020 - 11:00

I'm sure that lifestyle of Banckog isn't suitable for me. But it's quite interesting to visit new place with absolutely different culture. I'd rather go to the beach and maybe see the main sights than visit the city with its traffic and busy people.

Submitted by syah on Sat, 23/05/2020 - 06:54

It seems interesting. Maybe one day, I will visit Bangkok city to see how wonderful their culture and also taste their delicious culinare.

Submitted by antinaoki on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 06:24

always wanted to go to one of the tropical countries, Malaysia seems good too,hope some day i can make it.

Submitted by Muhammad Bagir on Tue, 19/05/2020 - 05:05

Of course I do. This country has many of unique culture. Their food is so anti-mainstream, you can eat cockroach, mantis, bat, and other weird animal. Their language was unique too (without try to underestimate them), I always feel tickled when I heard they speak..

Submitted by begumoz on Mon, 18/05/2020 - 00:56

Yes, I would like to visit Bangkok. It is really interesting city. I wonder to see this colorful regions.

Submitted by Chipinque on Sun, 17/05/2020 - 18:10

I would love to visit Thailand, it seems that it has beautiful beaches and delicious food. I have never been to Asia so I think this would be a good place to start.

Submitted by Htet Min Khant… on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 12:09

I would like to visit Thailand and capital city Bangkok because I'm from Myanmar and so both our countries are located in the Southeast Asia that why the travel distance is not so far and I can visit easily.Moreover,the prevalent religion of Thailand is Buddhism,like my country,I want to pay respect to the Thailand pagodas and explore the temples and historical sites.Cause I'm food lover,I like to taste Thailand foods,which are very famous on social media and among the food crazy.Coming soon,I trust I'll be happy over the Bangkok's roads.

Submitted by Mohamedakram16 on Sun, 10/05/2020 - 11:40

Maybe, one day I will visit Thailand, I heard that it's a fantastic place for spending holiday

Submitted by Masas on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 22:45

Of course , I hope to visit Bangkok city . I have a few friends been there before told me ,It's amazing city ,specially,when you go to Temples and the landmarks of the city then you are trying Thia's food ,It's delicious ..I want to visit it one day .

Submitted by Carole Anh on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 09:25

When I travelled to Thailand 10 years ago, I stayed 1 night in Bangkok. When I arrived there, I was suffocated by the temperature and pollution in february. Reading the article, I think I missed some beautiful spots. What is to remember is the smile and the kindness of the Thai people. The dishes are delicious and tasty. What is surprising is that the restaurant is open all night long. I wish I will have the opportunity to go there again.

Submitted by teya10 on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 19:17

yes i would like to visit bangkok because it's look like a wonderful city and i just want to discover their culture, taste their delicious food and visit all the places mentioned above

Submitted by Chloe_2709 on Fri, 17/04/2020 - 05:16

I haven't ever travelled to Thailand .I have seen some famous beautiful streets , traveller spots , like : Chiangmai , Phuket ... and the well-known tasty Thai street foods from TV . I hope that I can have a chance to go Thailand once day . It's so awesome !!!!

Submitted by Daudau0601 on Tue, 14/04/2020 - 04:52

Yes of course. I really like visiting Bangkok. I've not ever visited there but i saw manything about Thailand on facebook especially foods and historical sites. Because i have a food soul, i really want to taste Thai foods which i see on facebook because Thai have many kind of foods, it's so interesting and delicious. Besides, pagodas and cultures is one of the most wonderful things in Thailand. I find pagodas are very royal and cultures which i'm interested in are also excited

Submitted by Cheick Sadibou on Mon, 13/04/2020 - 18:22

I would actually like to visit any country all over the world. Cause anytime you visit a new place you will learn new lesson.

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Sun, 12/04/2020 - 02:48

No, I wouldn't. The reason being that am tight up with schedule of activities. But,later i might be there to see their rice production.

Submitted by BlaiChan on Wed, 08/04/2020 - 11:40

Of course, Bangkok is one of the place I like to visit the most. Additionally, I also have a plan for our honeymoon trip. I totally agree with that Bangkok is quite noisy and overwhelming city. But I love to see the spectacular Grand Palace and pagodas around the city. And I like to taste the real spicy Thai foods. I have seen them a lot on Facebook. They seem full of flavor. There are many many Thai restaurants in our country but they aren't tasty enough. Watching Thai traditional dancing their ancient dance and instruments. And I love to take that kind of exploring. Can't wait the day our dreams come true.

Submitted by JuanManuelLopezGil on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 22:30

Yes, but only at a resort and with tours guides!

Submitted by tonymontana on Sun, 05/04/2020 - 16:52

Definitely, ı woul like to visit Bangkok.My two brothers has been doing muay thai and we've sometimes talked about Thailand.Additionally ı am someone who interested in cultures in the southeast asia.I will go to Thailand eventually,but firstl ı should take a passport

Submitted by Cotufa84 on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 17:49

It's an interesting plan. But I prefer to know other places in the southeast asian.

Submitted by Bunga on Thu, 02/04/2020 - 08:08

Of course, i want to go to Bangkok. I have plained to go there befot. But until today i didn't make my passport. Hmm, later i will make a passport ☺ The temples and historical sites be The first place that i will visit in Bangkok. Sounds interesting to learn about history. And then i wanna try the food because Bangkok have so many kind of food. I think it will be fun if can go there with friends or family.

Submitted by Nurten on Sat, 28/03/2020 - 13:09

If the paragraph is true I would like to visit Bangkok because I want to do an insanity and I want to touch a snake

Submitted by noentropica on Fri, 27/03/2020 - 21:41

I would like to spend time in Bangkok. I love Thai food, I think that i could enjoy a lot the city and their around. I like to read this travel guide, i feel like going to Thailandia. It might be a needy clash cultural and understand better the world.

Submitted by Mamta Gusain on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 08:28

Yes, I would like to visit Bangkok. Thailand is one of the best attraction for tourist. i love travelling hence i would like to visit not only bangkok but other places also like chiang mai, chiang thai, phuket, pattaya. i would like to try thai street food, visiting beaches.

Submitted by amanda ferreira on Wed, 25/03/2020 - 18:45

Yes, I would. This place, it's appears to be very fun and friendly wiht tourists.

Submitted by theguest22 on Tue, 24/03/2020 - 20:57

By short words, who don't like to see and enjoy in this spectacular places, and live that moment when ride longtail boat or eat different meal and show another communities?. But I have wonder about what meaning K ao San Raod not very Thai

Submitted by Paulo Henrique… on Thu, 19/03/2020 - 02:40

I have never been to Bangkok, but I would love to be able to visit one day.

Submitted by Nikolaos Stavr… on Fri, 28/02/2020 - 10:15

Yes I would like to go to Bangkok It's a different culture, I love Thai food especially fried chicken on rice and pad Thai noodles. I would love to go on a sky train and visite the spectacular temples.