Meeting a new team member

Listen to a conversation between two new colleagues to practise your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Peter: Hi, my name's Peter. What's your name?

Carla: Hi, Peter. I'm Carla. I'm new here.

Peter: Welcome to the company, Carla.

Carla: Thanks, Peter. I'm happy to be here and it's nice to meet you.

Peter: It's nice to meet you too.

Carla: Where do you work?

Peter: I work in the design team. We sit over there.

Carla: I'm in the marketing team. I started last week.

Peter: You work in marketing? That's very interesting.

Carla: Yes, it is. I'm enjoying it. But there are a lot of new things to learn.

Peter: I'm sure there are. I'm happy to help you if I can.

Carla: Thank you, Peter. What do you do in the design department?

Peter: I design new products.

Carla: That sounds interesting. I plan marketing events for new products. So I think we'll work together sometimes.

Peter: That would be great. So, where are you from, Carla?

Carla: Brazil. And you?

Peter: I'm from the UK.

Carla: How long have you been here?

Peter: I've worked here for three years but I actually moved here from the UK five years ago, to study.

Submitted by Fatemeh.Najafzadeh on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 00:37

When I meet a new person, I usually ask questions like: What’s your name? Where are you from? Where do you live? How long have you been here? What’s your profession?

Submitted by Bignon on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 18:57

I'm very a shy person so I don't talk a lot when I meet someone the first time. But when they ask me questions I can answered. In my country people want to know your age, if you are married and get children, what is your own language, your job etc..

Submitted by Kitty pretty on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 06:18

when i meet someone for the first time, i will introduce my self first, after that i ask about his name , where he from and ask about something else

Submitted by DANIELAE on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 01:12

When I meet people for the first time I usually talk about news and likes.

Submitted by Pam-Pam on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 16:31

when i meet new someone, first i will introduce myself, then ask him about name and country.

Submitted by feras on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 15:04

when i meet somone i introduce my self and ask him to introduce herself

Submitted by Youssef Karfouh on Tue, 28/04/2020 - 13:27

when i meet someone for the first time i introduce myself and and ask him/her/them too .

Submitted by federico on Mon, 27/04/2020 - 22:31

The first thing I do is ask him his name, his age and where he is from, then I ask him what his job is

Submitted by miroslaw_kaw on Sun, 26/04/2020 - 01:06

What do you usually talk about when you meet people for the first time? I ask the same questions which was asked in this dialogue. I ask about name, country and what somebody do in Poland, because I ask such questions especially to English tourists in Poland.

Submitted by Fatima Kashif on Thu, 23/04/2020 - 15:56

When I meet someone I firstly ask his/her name and some general question like where do you from? and a what do you do?and likes and dislikes and the conversation begins

Submitted by cittàutopica on Wed, 22/04/2020 - 18:47

It depends on the situations. If I meet people in a party or in the similar occasions, I usually talk about current events or hobbies and so on; but, if it is a job meeting, therefore, I engage in a conversation about topics connected to job.

Submitted by Emirito on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 18:21

I always ask for names, country and studies. After, I ask why that person is here, what are his/her motives to visit or work here. I pay information about politics in your country and I like to be nice

Submitted by Ronake on Sat, 18/04/2020 - 01:27

If they are new collegues i will ask them about general things, like they name, they education, nationality, and what they like to do in free time. I'm never ask personal information or question like how old are you, or do you have a girlfriend, they doesn't sound polite

Submitted by Aisha Mohammed… on Fri, 17/04/2020 - 22:10

when I meet someone I introduce myself first time and ask him for name and we talk about jop

Submitted by nguyenthihoanb0510 on Wed, 15/04/2020 - 03:18

I often introduce 3 informations: my name, age and country when meeting new someone. depend on the case, there are a lot of different introduction. as you know, they are informations basic, which i'd like to talk.

Submitted by SHELJA on Sun, 12/04/2020 - 13:56

Usually, I tend to discuss their previous experience and place, work department, projects dealt, reporting system, accommodation and commuting system and, etc.

Submitted by Minerva on Fri, 10/04/2020 - 02:15

When I get a new job the people usually ask about my last job, what did I do? What do the company, why I left that job? Where I live,

Submitted by ss on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 23:20

I generally greet and introduce each other and the talk will continue upon the scenario how we met. May be a company meeting so the talk will be about the job profile and so on.

Submitted by Aya Sayed on Sun, 05/04/2020 - 20:31

When I meet someone for the first time through the work ,I start to ask him about his name and job and I discusse with him about my job to get infomation that help me .

Submitted by zabiullah on Sun, 05/04/2020 - 11:24

this is actually very helpfull i am trying to learn new things...

Submitted by Silambarasan on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 10:47

often, I talk about my name, my nationality and my job , and some in information about working

Submitted by suganth on Thu, 02/04/2020 - 08:55

first I will ask his/her name , then where is he/she from, then i will ask question that depend on where we are ,like if we are in college I will ask him/her about their department and so on....

Submitted by Yuzana on Tue, 31/03/2020 - 06:36

When I meet people for the first time, I introduce myself and ask them about who they are, where they came from and their interests to build a good relationship.

Submitted by Abdulilah on Sun, 29/03/2020 - 21:19

Submitted by Andrew Brown on Sun, 29/03/2020 - 18:08

For me when I meet new people, depending of their status and age, I introduce myself first, also if this person is my age then things become for warm and much friendlier, so I start by introducing myself then based on the reply we start to talk on those lines.

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Sat, 28/03/2020 - 01:27

Usually, when I meet people for the first time what I talk about is getting to know him or her by name and exchanging pleasantries greetings as well as other details that relates to where we meet.

Submitted by Sergei Baskakov on Fri, 27/03/2020 - 16:41

I don't stick to one conversation scenario. I talk about different things. I don't want to be like a robot in a conversation.

Submitted by Nane on Wed, 25/03/2020 - 20:26

Hi! When i meet people for the first time, i ussualy talk about studies, professions, cultures, families, etc. If people are from other countries It´s important to know about cultures and hobbies. I ussualy talk about the company where they work and about their carrears. Regards,

Submitted by HMida on Sat, 21/03/2020 - 12:23

When i meet people for the fisrt time, i talk about his job and where he is from. after a period, may i to ask about his family. If this person is interesting, i plan news meeting with him.

Submitted by Stela Stoycheva on Wed, 18/03/2020 - 13:27

When I meet new people, depends of situation if it`s people in new workplace, manager- I introduce myself. When people are other kind- no manager, no boss or collegues. We can speak different things and see what do you think about things connected with our live. Maybe now, we can speak about COVID-19...

Submitted by upendarreddy on Mon, 16/03/2020 - 23:12

when i meet new people firstly , i introduce myself then i ask his/her name, job, location where they stay.If the conversation goes well between us then i may ask their phone number or social media such as Twitter, Instagram, Facebook for future contact.

Submitted by Ali samer on Fri, 06/03/2020 - 10:41

before a few weeks i met my colleague we have talked about the last dayes when we ate togather and playing and everything beautiful we did it

Submitted by jason2295 on Tue, 03/03/2020 - 23:04

When I meet someone for the first time I usually ask about its life and family. I also like to talk about the hobbies and favorite things to do in the free time.

Submitted by Talha Munir on Tue, 25/02/2020 - 18:36

When I meet people to first time I usually talk about games, because I am player so I am interesting in games so that's why I company to those people who is interesting in games..

Submitted by Eswar on Sat, 22/02/2020 - 06:26

i usually talk about his/her name ,profession, Location,Nationality etc.

Submitted by IMEN ABBES on Thu, 20/02/2020 - 16:25

Usually, when I meet people for the first time, I ask them for their names, where they come from and what are they working.

Submitted by Khin Nyein Chan on Thu, 20/02/2020 - 14:21

When I meet someone,I start say that "Hello,Nice to meet you,My name is..........,"

Submitted by Yenn nguyen on Wed, 19/02/2020 - 13:29

I will asking about name, old, schools, where do you live , jobs, hobies ,ect... And nice too meet you

Submitted by s4lemm on Tue, 18/02/2020 - 15:59

First I like to know name, where is the person from, talk about job, recreation and other stuff.

Submitted by siciidgaagaale on Wed, 12/02/2020 - 18:03

Hi my group mate my name said i am going to share you something that i like to talk about new people. as you all know it is not good to ask people personal question or affaris ,so i always set off conversation rage from name to work. fistly i ask them their names in polite way then ,i give them more information about my self and the others be confindent to talk theirs.

Submitted by Vidyasagar on Tue, 11/02/2020 - 09:04

I ask his/her name. I usually talk about his/her whereabouts, nature of work, interests, likes and dislikes.

Submitted by serena lee on Tue, 21/01/2020 - 09:07

What do you usually talk about when you meet people for the first time? I usually talk about something like my favourite dishes, news, lastest movie. Honestly, It is difficult to talk with strangers because I don't know what subject they would like to discuss. I am going to be comfortable to talk just in case that is my friends.

Submitted by MaryaSun on Thu, 16/01/2020 - 15:56

Hello, when i meet someone for the first time i usually ask him/her to present himself/herself. I want to know, for example, his/her name, his age, where he/she lives, something about his/her study and why he/she is here. But i also like to ask him/her something about his/her strenghts and weaknesses and something about his hobbies and his/her free times.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Sat, 21/12/2019 - 14:23

When I meet someone for the first time, I asked him or her about general information such as: name, nationality, workplace and etc.

Submitted by elit.sw on Wed, 27/11/2019 - 18:11

I usually ask their name and job, I ask where they are from if they are not local Swedish or local, and I sometimes ask where they live but not always people here are too shy and it is not too easy to make contact.

Submitted by Dariusz on Sun, 24/11/2019 - 00:19

When I meet someone for the first time I usualy ask about basics informations like: name, where he or she lives, work, hobbys. Only convenient questions not awkward.