Making suggestions

In this video, Noelia and Yuna have a very good meeting. Listen to the language they use for making suggestions and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say!

Do you know what to say when you make suggestions? Listen out for useful language for making suggestions. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this!

Yuna: OK, this time let's focus. Phones off.

Noelia: Yes, and in my bag!

Yuna: Ready?

Noelia: I'm ready.

Yuna: We have half an hour.

Noelia: OK, let's go!

Yuna: How about starting with social media?

Noelia: Sure. Engagement is up 15 per cent this month.

Yuna: Good. So let's go for 20 per cent for next month.

Noelia: Yeah, sure. I'll tell the team. We'll need some extra help to make it work.

Yuna: Agreed. Good idea.

Yuna: Why don't you ask Vanya to help you create a new social media plan?

Noelia: OK, no problem. Shall we present it at the next team meeting together?

Yuna: Good plan. Can you let Paul see it first?

Noelia: Sure, I'll do that.

Yuna: Anything else?

Noelia: No, that's it.

Yuna: And that's half an hour! We did it!

Noelia: We're really good at this!

Ana: Hello again! Wow, that was a good meeting! So, did you notice the useful phrases used for making suggestions? Listen to me and then repeat.

Let's focus.

How about starting with social media?

Yeah, sure.

We'll need some extra help.

Agreed. Good idea.

Why don't you ask Vanya?

OK, no problem.

Shall we present it at the meeting?

Good plan.

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you make suggestions in English. Bye for now!

Do you need to improve your English speaking skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English speaking skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Mon, 15/03/2021 - 00:07

It is ok for me when my phone in silent regime all time.

Submitted by hoanthuc123 on Sun, 14/03/2021 - 15:46

Switching off my mobile phone when i need to be focus? It's actually a good idea! Why i haven't thought of that earlier while wasting too much time because of interruption ..

Submitted by Angel Ramirez on Mon, 08/03/2021 - 03:41

No, for me it is not necessary to switch off my mobile phone, but I do like to put it somewhere else or put it on silent mode.

Submitted by Mihai on Sat, 06/03/2021 - 10:36

yes, I switch off my mobile phone sometimes

Submitted by areeyapeef on Fri, 05/03/2021 - 00:59

I'm never switched off my phone to help me focus on something, but quiet place really help me to do.

Submitted by victor.07 on Thu, 04/03/2021 - 12:11

Yes, but only when i work alone
Profile picture for user Marce-English

Submitted by Marce-English on Wed, 03/03/2021 - 18:20

Nowadays. any job is done from a smartphone, the most important thing is to be FOCUSED

Submitted by PARIMALA MADIAZHAKAN on Wed, 24/02/2021 - 12:35

Yes I has been switch off your mobile phone to help me focus. Sometimes mobile can be distraction for us to focus on something.

Submitted by Zainab Khan on Tue, 16/02/2021 - 04:20

no I never switched off my phone but when I'm doing some important work i use silent mode.

Submitted by PALLAVRPATIL202 on Fri, 12/02/2021 - 12:10

Good one. Basic protocol manners. Well guided. Thanks

Submitted by iammhdzaki on Tue, 09/02/2021 - 05:08

yes I Had ever to turn off my phone for the meeting my organization

Submitted by senaguner on Sat, 30/01/2021 - 00:16

I always switch off my phone when I focus on to study English, also when I sleep I switch off my phone at night.

Submitted by cmarmare on Thu, 28/01/2021 - 10:02

Yes, when I'm working or watching a movie.

Watching move? Really? It’s great. You probably fully understand the movies
Have a good one

Submitted by Insan on Tue, 26/01/2021 - 10:55

yeah, thats great meeting i ever saw

Submitted by Leila77 on Fri, 22/01/2021 - 16:49

I never switch off my mobile phone to help me focus, but I often put it on silent mode.

Submitted by Ana193 on Tue, 19/01/2021 - 12:46

Depends on the situation but usually I use silent mode during work time even though 100 % WAH under the COVID-19 situation.

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Thu, 07/01/2021 - 15:37

No. I use much time silence mode in my phone when I focus to something.

Submitted by Tzar on Mon, 28/12/2020 - 10:24

I never swift off my phone to help me focus.But I always use silent mode when I'm in the meeting.

Submitted by falakhmuhammad on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 14:20

How do we identify the different of pronunciation between "presented" and "present it"? Could you explain it? Thanks

Hello falacool,

These are quite similar, but generally the grammar of the sentence will prevent any ambiguity. However, there is a difference:

> presented ends with the sound /ɪd/

> present it ends with the sound /ɪt/

Submitted by falakhmuhammad on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 14:14

Yes, I do. I often switch off or turn on "don't disturb" mode to help me focus on what I must to do at that time.

Submitted by Larissa330 on Sun, 20/12/2020 - 02:01

Yes, i do. Sometimes I put my phone off because my phone is a distraction.

There are applications that motivate. For example, while you are studying, you can grow a tree or fill the ocean with water. This motivates not to touch the phone.
Have a great day

Submitted by bykarenreis on Sat, 19/12/2020 - 15:33

I never switch off my phone to focus, but it would help me.
Profile picture for user Karan Narang

Submitted by Karan Narang on Sat, 19/12/2020 - 08:51

I saw the video and found phrase that is confusing me. Agree even agreed could use both at same situation. May you explain it ?

Hello Karan Narang,

You can use 'agreed' as a way of saying yes. It means the same as 'I agree'.

Paul:  This is the best plan, I think.

John:  Agreed.

Sue:  Yes, I agree.

Submitted by Pann Nilar Htun on Fri, 18/12/2020 - 05:09

Yes, of course. We need to switch the phone off or silence mode when we are in the meeting. If not phone ring makes annoying other people.

Submitted by serena93 on Wed, 16/12/2020 - 20:52

No, I never switch off my phone when I work but I always use silent mode to not disturb me and the other people who are working.

Submitted by heri sinaga on Mon, 14/12/2020 - 05:30

No, I don't switch off my phone, because i use my phone for help me when i find word that i'm not understand.

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Thu, 26/11/2020 - 15:58

No. Rarely I my phone off when I focus to my work. Mostly I use silence mode when I focus to my work. Because I got in the habit to use silence mode.

Submitted by sheebix on Tue, 24/11/2020 - 06:15

im sorry could you tell me why the video cant be played?

Hello sheebix,

I'm not sure why the video isn't playing for you! I've checked the page and it is functioning correctly, so the issue must be a local one. This may be a question of compatibility, so first try using a different device to see if you can access the material that way. Sometimes certain devices do not play certain content, especially mobile devices.

If that does not solve the problem then you might check your settings, especially security settings. You may have a firewall blocking certain content, for example.

Good luck!

Submitted by hossein.khosravi on Mon, 23/11/2020 - 15:29

we can turn off our cellphones for less than 30 minutes but for longer we can't

Submitted by karim.medusa on Fri, 13/11/2020 - 03:48

sometimes that I need more focus

Submitted by Khin Khin Htet on Mon, 09/11/2020 - 10:49

Yes , I usually do my phone in silence mode in Office Meeting and Class ! I never switch off my phone. It is not fine if switch off for me !

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Fri, 06/11/2020 - 06:39

No. When i learn english in this site i do my phone in silent mode.

Submitted by Kaique Machado on Tue, 03/11/2020 - 01:47

Yes, i have started switch off the phone to starting get more focus to do my lessons

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Thu, 29/10/2020 - 06:44

If i need focus in my work usualy i use silence mode on my phone.

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Thu, 29/10/2020 - 06:41

Yeah.At the Moment i phones off to focus to learn english with this site.Because i use the computer when i do task

Submitted by O'Prata on Tue, 27/10/2020 - 17:46

It's really difficult to keep the phone off during a meeting but in order not to lose focus we must do it. I found this lesson very diverting because I didn't know that "Let's...", "Why don't you ask..." and "How about..." were forms of making suggestions. I thought only modal verbs as should, would, could, can and so on were eligible for that. Thanks!

Submitted by pabloxje on Sun, 25/10/2020 - 03:14

No t really, if I need to focus in my work I usually use the silence mode on my cellular phone.

Submitted by alexiaimogen on Wed, 21/10/2020 - 07:02

Well, I rarely switch off my mobile phone because I'm afraid there are urgent things coming.
:) yes but sometimes it really important just like before starting this course I put my mobile phone in my bag so can't be disturbed :)

Submitted by Maria19 on Sun, 18/10/2020 - 11:25

No, I'm not switch off my phone. Actually, I switch my phone in a mute mode. Then, it's does not bother anyone.

Submitted by Larysa on Sat, 17/10/2020 - 20:25

I never switch my mobile phone off, I just press the mute button. So it doesn't interrupt my meeting or disturb somebody.