A travel guide

Read a travel guide about Bangkok to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

Whether you're travelling to the islands or the mountains of Thailand, you're likely to spend at least one night in its capital city on the way. Bangkok might be noisy and polluted but it's also an exciting city with plenty of things to see and do. Why not make it a longer stay?

Where to stay

The Khao San Road was a famous traveller spot even before Leonardo di Caprio's character in the film The Beach stayed there. But it's noisy, not very pretty and not very Thai. For something more authentic, Phra Kanong offers an alternative place to stay, with its fantastic street markets where everyday Bangkok people eat, work and live. It's not as convenient for the main tourist sites, but it has a Skytrain station so you can be at the Grand Palace in 20 minutes.

How to get around

Bangkok's traffic can be a nightmare. Sure, you can easily take a taxi – if you want to spend hours stuck in traffic jams – but there are two much better ways to get around the city. To explore the temples and historical sites, catch an express boat river taxi or a longtail boat along the Chao Phraya river and the canals. For the modern part of the city, the Skytrain is a fast, cheap way to travel from the river to the shopping malls and nightlife of Sukhumvit, and the famous Chatuchak street market.

Where to eat

The simple answer is: everywhere! Thai street food is among the best in the world, and for around $5 you can eat a filling and delicious meal. Some food stands have little plastic seats where you can sit and eat and they cook the same dish over and over, like fried chicken on rice or Pad Thai noodles. Head for Chinatown – Yaowarat Street – and choose whatever looks most interesting from the many excellent Chinese and Thai restaurants and food stands.

What to do

After you've seen the main sites like the Giant Buddha at the temple of Wat Pho and the spectacular Grand Palace, and shopped at Chatuchak market, check out the snake farm and watch the live snake show. You can even touch a snake yourself if you want to!

Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

Submitted by Asni on Tue, 19/01/2021 - 23:27

I'd definitely like to visit Bangkok, I've heard a lot about Thailand and its capital Bangkok. I'm eagerly looking forward to visiting that city because I'm very curious and excited to see all the good things and descriptions I've read and heard about it. Also, I'm particularly interested in its historical sites, culture and food.

Submitted by Ragab Saber on Mon, 18/01/2021 - 19:38

In my opinion, Bangkok is one of the most captivating places I genuinely recommend to visit. It has unique characteristics making it much more attractive, like its ancient temples, tranquil views and I cannot forget its filling and delicious food. Honestly, I hope to visit that great city some day.

you make me exciting to visit Bangkok, I see Arabic film recoding in Bangkok and I was so surprised by the neutral there and the food looks so delicious.

Submitted by Minh on Wed, 13/01/2021 - 22:42

Wow, it's really attractive of the country where I visited two times. There are a plenty of beautiful sight-seeings where people should travel around. Firstly, you can spend time all day on the beach such as swimming, sunbathing, walking and wave surfing. Secondly, you can travel a number of sight pot that are impressed man people. Moreover, you can enjoy tasting local cuisines which are delicious meals. I can tell you more, but I have to sign out for my job.

Submitted by Saad786 on Sat, 09/01/2021 - 11:50

Bangkok is one of the beautiful cities of the world. It has many tourist sites. The skytrain is among the fastest trains which is good enough for quick tour of city in one day. Chao phraya is beautiful river followed by many religious spots. Other places like Wat Phra Keaw and Wat Pho temples are religious sites for locals.

Submitted by Thinn Thiri Myo on Thu, 24/12/2020 - 03:44

I would like to visit Bangkok.I love thai cultures,traditional costume & food.And I wanna go to the fantastis event,street market & eat street food.

Submitted by Harrison on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 04:19

I have never travelled to Bangkok. I would like to visit there to see many spectacular buildings and fantastic foods and events. Moreover, I also am interested in touching the snakes. Wow, that's fabulous.

Submitted by Thinthinmyoe on Sat, 19/12/2020 - 08:11

I have never been to Bangkok.I really would like to visit there as it is a Paradise for shopping.

Submitted by Thu Ha Nguyen on Mon, 07/12/2020 - 11:35

I traveled to Thailand on a tour in 2018. I could visit Bangkok and Pattaya. I really enjoyed the tour. We came to Pattaya first. We spent 2 nights there. Near our hotel is the most famous street in Pattaya. There are a lot of bars and show theaters. It´s very noisy but also funny to see people around the world come there. Bangkok is a shopping city. We had a buffet dinner at the highest restaurant. We could see all the city from the glass windows in the restaurant. It was so beautiful and colorful.

Submitted by DIỄM PHÚC on Mon, 07/12/2020 - 01:18

I like Bangkok because it is center of history culture and bring spirits and matter value of Thai

Submitted by Ehsan on Sun, 29/11/2020 - 08:07

Yes, sure I'd like to see the city. It has many reasons such as different culture, combining traditional and modern life, great sights, different and diverse foods, and a sweet experience. We have a proverb which says "The Travelling Cooks Persons!". I want to visit all cities in the world and I will do that.

Submitted by David_Tham on Fri, 27/11/2020 - 00:38

Yes, I would like to live in Bangkok. Because the preple there very compassionate.

Submitted by inco123 on Fri, 20/11/2020 - 09:39

I really would enjoy visiting Bangkok. This place is so different from the place where I live. I'm curious about culture, religion and especially about food.

Submitted by Dmytro on Wed, 18/11/2020 - 13:09

I have never had the opportunity to travel a lot. I would willingly visit Bangkok with all its places worth visiting despite it is not the number one place I would like to visit. I'm not into the eastern culture but being present there could change my mind. Surely, by getting around Bangkok I could experience the real atmosphere of the city. No one guide, brochure, or video is able to give you that feeling but that can give you the boost to start planning travel.

Submitted by Razy on Wed, 11/11/2020 - 10:06

Indeed I'm a travel buff and definitely, Bangkok is a nice place for a journey. Furthermore, I'm looking forward to visiting the Buddhist temple, as I'm really interested in East Asian religions. I also heard about delicious street food in Thailand, so certainly I want to try it one time in my life.

Submitted by nguyễn thị h… on Sat, 07/11/2020 - 14:05

thailand is so attractive . i extremely like Thai food ,so after read this i want to visit there

Submitted by khanhlynguyen on Mon, 02/11/2020 - 16:55

i would like to visit Thailand because i'm interested in Thai cuisine, scenery and people over there. I have followed many celebrity in Thailand for a long time, so i want to meet them.
Profile picture for user javibuendi

Submitted by javibuendi on Wed, 28/10/2020 - 10:07

Yes, I would like to visit Bangkok. I have wanted to go for a long time. It might be an exciting experience because I think they have a very different culture than mine (I am from Spain). I like travelling and I want to earn money in order to be able to visit this city or another main city in Asia, such as Kyoto. Cheers from Madrid.

Submitted by Lilly098 on Thu, 22/10/2020 - 02:56

I would love to visit Thailand. Because my friend works in Bangkok. She always tell me that people in Thai are very lovely and food is amazing. I want to get to know more about their culture. Hopefully, I will visit for my honeymoon in a couple years!

Submitted by habibao.medo on Mon, 19/10/2020 - 08:41

I really like travelling but i don't think i would choose Bangkok cause i don't like temples and historic places also i really don't like street food i eat it only if i know it's taste . i would prefer going to Korea instead i like the coffees there, the Korean make up ,masks and a lot more

Submitted by DIỄM PHÚC on Mon, 28/09/2020 - 01:54

This is smart skill for me if I can go to Thailand

Submitted by samuelito on Thu, 24/09/2020 - 17:06

would you like to travel to bangkok Bangkok has been characterized as a city that has a wide variety of culture and gastronomy and that without a doubt I would love to visit and explore all its culture and its amazing landscapes, but one of the reasons I would not travel is because of overcrowding with which the city of Bangkok has.

Submitted by Hnin Ei Khing on Thu, 17/09/2020 - 07:47

I love travelling. If i get a chance to travel, i would like to visit there go shopping to night market, enjoy with Thai street foods.

Submitted by Camilaaa on Wed, 16/09/2020 - 05:44

If I would like to visit Bangkok, it seems like a nice place, I would love to try their food, and get to know their cultures.
Profile picture for user danisep

Submitted by danisep on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 22:05

Yes I would like to visit Bangkok one day, I don't know a lot about this country till now that I read this text, but I have heard that its food is so delicious and its culture is super interesting, I wish someday to visit it this and other places from Asia.

Submitted by Roblox on Mon, 07/09/2020 - 16:42

Why you more focused on giving questions on the set of the location. I don't see here that it will help us to improve our reading.

Hello Roblox,

Thanks for your feedback.

There are many skills involved in reading and we try to include a range of these in the tasks we provide for each text. Some tasks are focused on searching for specific information in a text, others on interpreting the author's meaning, others on vocabulary, others on style etc.

Submitted by Rinaa on Thu, 03/09/2020 - 19:57

Yes, I would love to visit Bangkok. It's a huge city with many interesting places to see. Its well knows for cheap and delicious street food and historical temples. Also these days, travel companies are offering attractive prices for visiting Bangkok.

Submitted by katyatorres on Thu, 03/09/2020 - 03:02

Yes, I would like to visit this interesting country one day, it's complety rich in culture.

Submitted by Suane Alves on Tue, 01/09/2020 - 19:02

No, I wouldn't like to visit Bangkok, it is not site that I would like to visit now, but I love to taste different foods and, of course, Thai food I really want to taste. But it may be that in the future I may visit

Submitted by Sai Minn on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 09:32

Of course, I would like to visit Bangkok. Actually I have never been to Bangkok but I've heard it's an amazing place to visit when you are in Thailand.

Submitted by julerh12 on Sun, 23/08/2020 - 10:22

I would like to visit Thailand because its a country that I've never been too, I would like to taste their food and Also I would like to visit the zoo where you can see and touch the snakes.

Submitted by RAHMAN JIAUR on Sun, 23/08/2020 - 06:51

Bangkok is a most wonderful city of Thailand. There are many awesome tample. Also there are most taste food. Onday I'll visit Thailand after covid- 19

Submitted by melisong56 on Wed, 19/08/2020 - 15:05

Actually, I planned to visit Bangkok on March 2020 but it got cancelled due to corona virus pandemic. As far as I know by looking at traveler recommendation, Bangkok is a must-visit city for travelling! The city is amazing, with many beautiful temples, and we can experience a modern vibes in this city. The other reason is their street foods! With the cheap price and good taste of most of their foods, Thailand could maybe be the one of the country which has the best street food in the world.

Submitted by Re on Mon, 17/08/2020 - 06:38

Hello. I'd like to visit Bangkok. It's about a 6-7 hour flight from Japan. There is no need to worry about jet lag, as the time difference is only 2 hours from Japan. I want to see night view and the Wat Saman Rattanaram. It is said that if you make a wish on the statue of your birth day of the week, your wish will be granted three times faster. Therefore, I want to make a wish. In addition, I want to eat Bangkok food. There are many things I want to do in Bangkok.

Submitted by Loda.iQ on Sun, 16/08/2020 - 07:59

Well, people say Bangkok is a great place to visit with its beautiful sites and nature. Surely I want to visit and experience it.

Submitted by mali nicklass on Mon, 10/08/2020 - 09:12

Yes, I would like to visit Bangkok. I would love to see the city and to try the food.

Submitted by Suzuha on Mon, 10/08/2020 - 06:30

I wouldn't like to visit Bangkok, because I have been to there and I fully enjoyed beautiful view and tasty foods.

Submitted by Yuki on Mon, 10/08/2020 - 06:02

I would like to visit Bangkok. Because I like Thai food such as Green Curry and Tom Yum Goong so I want to eat authentic Thai food in Bangkok. I also want to go sightseeing and shopping. I hear that prices in Thai are cheaper than Japan and there are beautiful scenery in Bangkok so, While enjoying sightseeing, I want to eat a lot at the market and go shopping a lot.

Submitted by Seina Tsuchiya on Mon, 10/08/2020 - 04:53

I want go to Bangkok because I've seen it before on TV and the view was so beautiful. Especially, the market at night was very beautiful. It was crowded with people and there were many stalls. Also, I like to take pictures so I' like to go to the temple.

Submitted by Akemi Matsumoto on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 13:17

I'd like to visit Bangkok. I have to main reasons for that. First of all, that's because I have a friend from Thai- Bangkok. So, I want to visit the place where she is from. Also because I'm interested in spicy food and I've never tried Thai's food. Secondly, because I love animals, I am so curious about how it would be like to ride on a elephant.

Submitted by Hiyori Ueno on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 13:00

I have never been to Thailand so I would like to go to Thailand someday. Because I want to eat Thai street foods. I love Gapao rice, Tom Yam Kun, and Phad Tha. I want to eat them in Thailand. Also Thailand has delicious and cheap Mango. If I go to Thailand, I will eat Mango as much as I like.

Submitted by Natsumi Tamura on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 12:56

I would like to visit Bangkok. First, I like eating, so I want to eat Thai food. Especially, I want to eat Tom yam kung. Second, I want to ride a longtail boat along the Chao Phraya river at night because the scenery is beautiful at night. This is why, I would like to visit Bangkok.

Submitted by IKEDA on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 06:12

I've never been to Thailand. As I'm a big fan of ancient Buddism, I must go there someday!

Submitted by Anna Nakamura on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 03:28

I'd like to visit Bangkok. I 've never been there. When I was reading a travel magazine, I knew that there are many world heritage sites in Thailand. So I'm interested in Thailand history and culture. Thailand is a Buddhist country, so there are many Buddhist structures. I'd like to see them. And, Thailand is famous as a country of smiles. Thai people have a very cheerful personality, so I think going to markets and stalls is a lot of fun. That's why I'd like to visit Bangkok.

Submitted by Kaho Dokko on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 03:07

I want to go to Thailand because I like traveling and I'm interested in Thailand. My father, who had been to Thailand to play golf told me he enjoyed night market, so I want to go there. I have one more thing I want to do there. It's floating market. It will be a valuable experience in my life. Although I have heard that Thailand has poor hygiene, I think such a problem is sure to happen when traveling. And it is important to be careful not to be get involved in crime.

Submitted by Mirei Honda on Sat, 08/08/2020 - 06:30

I have never been to Bangkok so I would like to go. However, I may not be suitable for Bangkok because I get seasick. I can eat very delicious food at very cheap prices in Bangkok. I have never eaten Thai food, so I would like to try it. Also, Bangkok has the image that there are many temples. There may be a plain temple or a flashy and colorful temple. So I want to visit temples. I would like to wear Thai clothes, go to a place with luxurious decoration, eat delicious food and enjoy the trip.

Submitted by Noyama Juri on Fri, 07/08/2020 - 14:53

I have never been to Bangkok. so I want to go to Bangkok. I like to eat. so If I go to Bangkok I want to eat a lot of delicious food. But I'm worried that the country is beautiful. I want to go to many countries and eat many delicious foods. And I want to go to many tourist spots.

Submitted by Shoma Tateishi on Fri, 07/08/2020 - 06:45

I have never been to to Bangkok in Thailand. Moreover, I have never been abroad. But I want to go to Bangkok. If I go to Bangkok, I will go see the temple. There are various temples in Thailand. I haven't been to many temples until now, so I definitely want to go. I can also study foreign cultures by going to Bangkok. For example, in Bangkok, the night market is famous and not in Japan, so it's very interesting. Besides, Bangkok has many beautiful scenery. I want to take many picutures there. For these reasons, I want to go to Bangkok.

Submitted by Kamjka on Wed, 05/08/2020 - 18:02

I would like to visit Bangkok. I have never been to From the text I knew this is a very beautiful and interesting place.