Meeting a new team member

Meeting a new team member

Listen to a conversation between two new colleagues to practise your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Preparation

Peter: Hi, my name's Peter. What's your name?

Carla: Hi, Peter. I'm Carla. I'm new here.

Peter: Welcome to the company, Carla.

Carla: Thanks, Peter. I'm happy to be here and it's nice to meet you.

Peter: It's nice to meet you too.

Carla: Where do you work?

Peter: I work in the design team. We sit over there.

Carla: I'm in the marketing team. I started last week.

Peter: You work in marketing? That's very interesting.

Carla: Yes, it is. I'm enjoying it. But there are a lot of new things to learn.

Peter: I'm sure there are. I'm happy to help you if I can.

Carla: Thank you, Peter. What do you do in the design department?

Peter: I design new products.

Carla: That sounds interesting. I plan marketing events for new products. So I think we'll work together sometimes.

Peter: That would be great. So, where are you from, Carla?

Carla: Brazil. And you?

Peter: I'm from the UK.

Carla: How long have you been here?

Peter: I've worked here for three years but I actually moved here from the UK five years ago, to study.

Task 1

Task 2

Task 3

Average: 4.6 (104 votes)

Hello Alex.BC,

Your second sentence is correct (though the two question words should not be capitalised). Reported questions are formed using a 'normal' word order.

Submitted by Tatiana barrera on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 16:59

When I meet with people for the first time I usually talk about the basic information of them as name, age, and likes to can continue with thematics in common

Submitted by Manal on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 07:22

in the first, saying hi and ask him about his name additionally ask about his local country, and start to laughing with each other .

Submitted by AhKhd on Mon, 14/12/2020 - 15:20

I ‘m facing problems on how to write the sentences under the correct speaker. That means when I listen to conversation, I couldn’t understand a whole story in one time.

Submitted by Elplshe on Wed, 09/12/2020 - 12:02

Usually, when I meet someone to first time, i aske her haw are u

Submitted by MJH on Sat, 05/12/2020 - 03:29

I talk about the weather or football. If the conversation is good I like talking about the topic more personal.

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Fri, 04/12/2020 - 07:53

When first time I meet with new people I start to ask his or her name and where are from. Then we are talking about other things.

Submitted by m.someah on Tue, 01/12/2020 - 13:48

I usually start a conversation with a stranger about the situation that we are in. As an example, if I was in a crowded bank, I would say that ‘the bank is full of people today’.

Submitted by Sergio1994 on Sat, 28/11/2020 - 16:02

When i meet a new person first introduce myself, then aks what does he/she do at this moment and flow the conversation..