Adjectives ending in '-ed' and '-ing'

Do you know the difference between bored and boring?

Look at these examples to see how adjectives ending in -ed and -ing are used.

I was really bored in that presentation.
That was a really boring presentation.

Try this exercise to test your grammar.

Grammar test 1

Grammar test 1: Adjectives ending in '-ed' and '-ing'

Read the explanation to learn more.

Grammar explanation

Adjectives that end in -ed (e.g. bored, interested) and adjectives that end in -ing (e.g. boring, interesting) are often confused.

-ed adjectives

Adjectives that end in -ed generally describe emotions – they tell us how people feel.

I was so bored in that lesson, I almost fell asleep.
He was surprised to see Helen after all those years.
She was really tired and went to bed early.

-ing adjectives

Adjectives that end in -ing generally describe the thing that causes the emotion – a boring lesson makes you feel bored.

Have you seen that film? It's really frightening.
I could listen to her for hours. She's so interesting.
I can't sleep! That noise is really annoying!

Here are some adjectives that can have both an -ed and an -ing form.

annoyed annoying
bored boring
confused confusing
disappointed disappointing
excited exciting
frightened frightening
interested interesting
surprised surprising
tired tiring
worried worrying

Do this exercise to test your grammar again.

Grammar test 2

Grammar test 2: Adjectives ending in '-ed' and '-ing'

Do you need to improve your English grammar?

A1 English level (elementary)
A2 English level (pre-intermediate)

Submitted by Agness on Sat, 23/07/2022 - 17:18

Hello teacher
I want to ask why using "confused" in the sentence The instructions for my new coffee machine are really confused." is wrong

Hello Agness,

We could say that instructions which are not clear are confusing and that those instructions make us confused. 'confusing' describes what is not clear and 'confused' describes how we feel.

Does that make sense?

Submitted by najib.oulhouch on Mon, 06/06/2022 - 20:24

thank you, the lesson is very helpfull for me, i understand now a difference between these adjectives.

Submitted by dugny36 on Thu, 05/05/2022 - 13:35

Thanks LearnEnglish team
This lesson is very clear, but I am still struggling on these two adjectives : matched and matching that are not in the list. I don't know how to use them.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Hi dugny36,

'Matching' means having the same characteristic or a complementary characteristic as something else, especially something visual such as a colour or a design. Here are some examples:

• My wife and I wore matching T-shirts.
  • James is wearing a shirt with a matching tie.

See the Cambridge Dictionary page on 'matching' here for more explanation and examples: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/matching

'Matched' is similar in meaning, but is mainly used for non-visual similarities. It emphasises the idea that the two items have already been put together. Some examples:

• The players were evenly matched. (i.e., they had a similar skill level)
  • They have been married for years. They are a well matched pair.

I hope that helps.

Jonathan

Profile picture for user Marce-English

Submitted by Marce-English on Mon, 25/04/2022 - 19:54

Somtimes I feel confused about this rulers, but I'm learning...

Submitted by BT on Sun, 24/04/2022 - 07:00

a tiring activity makes you feel tired

Submitted by Ehsanuullahalami on Tue, 12/04/2022 - 12:57

I am excited about this lesson
It was a exciting lessons

Submitted by Murod on Wed, 06/04/2022 - 06:18

Good day everybody
It is very interesting program. thanks for organisers

Submitted by bkocak34 on Tue, 15/03/2022 - 06:13

Thank you for impressive education. I had annoyed for first test but second test was excited for me.

Submitted by MonierShowman on Sun, 13/03/2022 - 16:54

I'm exited to improve my English

Submitted by ahmedcmc on Sat, 26/02/2022 - 13:37

Liked he contents and explain approach.Thanks

Submitted by jyoti Chaudhary on Mon, 07/02/2022 - 08:21

This is a fabulous lesson. I'm extremely excited about it. Daily in the morning, I learn grammar. And I'm trying to improve it. This course helps me a lot.

Submitted by agwad201 on Sat, 05/02/2022 - 09:25

This lesson is very exciting,I am realy excited.
My brother is very tired,his work is realy boring.

Submitted by jwkei on Tue, 18/01/2022 - 02:50

This is a very nice context for who want to study grammar!!

Submitted by LayaGol on Fri, 14/01/2022 - 23:08

Hello! Thank you so much for such useful lesson! Can you tell me, please, which ending have I to add in this case "The idea of affordable green housing is a criticizing/ criticized topic, with some critics saying that it is a fallacy" It must be ending -ing, am I right? Or, maybe, I can use both variants? Thank you in advance!

Hi LayaGol,

It should be 'criticised' ('The idea of affordable green housing is criticised, with some critics saying ...). The meaning is that the idea is criticised by people (i.e., by critics).

Not all adjectives have both -ed and -ing forms. The word 'criticising' doesn't exist as an adjective, only as an -ing verb form.

I hope that helps.

Jonathan

Submitted by mustafaraad on Thu, 02/12/2021 - 16:56

remi say thank you

Submitted by hohuudong on Sat, 13/11/2021 - 02:29

thanks , it relly useful

Submitted by mediafnc on Mon, 18/10/2021 - 17:17

Learnt something new today - 'ed' adjective as the emotion and 'ing' as adjective to cause the emotion. Thanks.

Submitted by Juliana Dara on Mon, 16/08/2021 - 11:08

Thanks, its a good test.

Submitted by EdithF on Fri, 30/07/2021 - 16:24

9I´m surprised how easy this lesson was. :)

Submitted by Ivan50 on Sun, 27/06/2021 - 06:15

It was really interesting lesson.

Submitted by Hussainhxh on Mon, 12/04/2021 - 19:24

Really confusing

Submitted by Zhanbolat on Fri, 12/03/2021 - 14:30

I don't have any money. Would you add new exercises for poor people

Submitted by Zhanbolat on Fri, 12/03/2021 - 14:25

Please Add the new answers. Thank you

Submitted by Maahir on Tue, 09/03/2021 - 20:57

Dear learnenglish team, You're really doing great for helping us improve our English skills. But, I was just wondering how can I identify the lessons I have taken to avoid confusing about where I am.

Hello Maahir,

We don't keep a record of which pages have been visited or which tasks have been completed by each user. Perhaps one day we'll add this functionality, but for the moment you'll need to use your own memory or keep your own records.

Submitted by Maahir on Tue, 09/03/2021 - 20:53

Thanks for this. Such contents are really helpful and interesting.

Submitted by tamsayed on Tue, 16/02/2021 - 10:06

I really interested in grammar lessons

Submitted by IMRAN HOSEN on Sun, 24/01/2021 - 18:33

When the abj end with ed it's describe someone feeling or emotion and other think It's cause of emotion or feeling understand this think but some it's make me confusing.

Submitted by mostafa99 on Sun, 24/01/2021 - 04:32

it was a really interesting lesson. Thanks a lot for it.

Submitted by Leila77 on Tue, 19/01/2021 - 09:31

Clear explanation with many examples! Thanks for this lesson.

Submitted by Honey June on Wed, 13/01/2021 - 11:56

This lesson is really great and helpful to me.I. clearly understand your explanations about the difference between "ed" and "ing". Thank u for your clear explanations.

Submitted by rational1 on Sun, 10/01/2021 - 17:29

Hello! You said adjectives plus ed plus ing .So, the question is here , why there are some adjectives we do not add ed or ing for them? For example - ill , angry , sad and so on .Thanks .

Hi rational1,

The adjectives with -ed and -ing are made from verbs (e.g. bored and boring come from the verb bore; annoyed and annoying come from the verb annoy).

But not all adjectives are like this. Some adjectives aren't made from verbs, like the examples you mentioned.

Does that make sense?

Jonathan

Submitted by Ngu Wah on Sun, 10/01/2021 - 13:47

I'm interested in this website that is very interesting for me.

Submitted by Theint Theint Phyo on Wed, 30/12/2020 - 03:25

I really interested about this grammar.

Submitted by zeineb on Tue, 29/12/2020 - 12:48

The lessens are very helpful, thank you very much.

Submitted by Madhushree on Wed, 23/12/2020 - 17:12

Thank you so much for this exercises.

Submitted by frknakgn on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 15:01

Thanks for these explanations and exercises.You're helping too much students all over the world

Submitted by Maria19 on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 08:56

Thank you for your great lessons.
Profile picture for user Hlaingbobo Win

Submitted by Hlaingbobo Win on Wed, 16/12/2020 - 05:29

I think that " -ed" is for living and "-ing" is for things. Am I right?

Hello Hlaingbobo Win,

That's not quite right. You can use both forms with people and things.

The difference is this: adjectives ending in -ing describe how a person or thing affects others, while adjectives ending in -ed describe how a person or things feels or is changed.

That was a boring film. I didn't enjoy it.

Paul is interesting. I like listening to him

I have a broken computer so I can't send you the document.

Do you have a working computer? I need to send an email.

Submitted by vanessa Rodri on Sat, 12/12/2020 - 02:00

Your lessons are the best, they never make me bored.

Hi vanessa Rodri,

That's great! Thanks for your kind comment :)

Jonathan

Submitted by LUIZ ANTONIO on Sun, 06/12/2020 - 15:58

Thank you again, The Adjectives list is very helpful,
Profile picture for user zabiullah

Submitted by zabiullah on Sun, 29/11/2020 - 17:21

so confusing. sometimes i am interested in to do more tasks to keep our mind so much time...