Meeting people at a dinner

Listen to introductions at a dinner party to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Charles: Hello, Julian.

Julian: Hello, Charles. How are you?

Charles: I'm fine. Fine. Julian, do you remember Alyssa?

Julian: No, I don't.

Charles: She's Ben's sister. Do you remember? We were all at Ben's wedding together.

Julian: Ah, yes, I do – in that old castle. Was it in January?

Charles: Yes, it was! Alyssa was there.

Alyssa: Hello. Nice to meet you ... again.

Julian: Hello, nice to meet you too, Alison.

Alyssa: I'm not Alison.

Julian: What?

Alyssa: My name isn't Alison. It's Alyssa.

Julian: I'm sorry. Nice to meet you, Alyssa.

Charles: Good. Would you like a drink?

Julian: Good idea.

Alyssa: Yes, please.

Charles: Here you are.

Alyssa and Julian: Thanks!

Submitted by Dastenova Firuza on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 15:41

Mostly I meet new people at work and when I move from one place to anther. I also meet people at the conferences and telegramm groups.

Submitted by Jasmeen Mughal on Tue, 07/07/2020 - 07:56

Yes. I love to meet people. It gives me pleasure. I feel myself relaxed in good people's company.

Submitted by EWS on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 12:28

last times I don't have the occasion to meet a lot of people because we have got pandemic, so many of them stay home for safety

Submitted by jonon on Sun, 05/07/2020 - 23:33

I like to meet a new people evert day because I AM frendly

Submitted by 7Elhoussaine A. on Fri, 03/07/2020 - 16:07

I don't meet a lot of friends every day, because I'm still student so as a student you know all the other students in your class or your school! Nothing new.

Submitted by Ronake on Sun, 28/06/2020 - 20:28

I meet people every day in my job, because I'm working for a huge international company, that have 500 employees, so each day I'm seeing a new employee. This is a great opportunity, to meet new people to have lunch together and share their experiences. Fortunately, they all come from different countries and the culture is different, so every time I meet them, I learn new things from them. It's like visiting each time new places and gaining new experiences.

Submitted by Ragdaalamin on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 08:44

with greeting and smail to let them feel cmfort and welcme. generous at gave them jucse or tea and make small talk.

Submitted by joshnamep on Tue, 23/06/2020 - 04:46

Actually no, although I would love to talk to them but sometimes I feel shy and don't want to approach them

Submitted by Hennadii on Fri, 19/06/2020 - 15:11

Honestly, I've never been an open person, so COVID-19 hasn't changed my life much. I enjoy time with my family and my very close friends

Submitted by Gessie on Fri, 12/06/2020 - 18:38

I like to meet new people. We talk about us and about our country

Submitted by Hien Thi Ngo on Mon, 08/06/2020 - 07:46

Before Covid-19 I kind of open. I like to talk with new people about social problems. But now, We have to wear mask everywhere outside so I rarely meet new people. I hope covid-19 is going to be control soon.

Submitted by iisrimadanti20 on Sun, 07/06/2020 - 04:56

i always meet new people because my job need a lot to often interactions to people

Submitted by MAE on Sat, 06/06/2020 - 14:09

Actually, it depends on many facts. I always meet a variety of people in school, in the gym, in the supermall or everywhere I came. But now, I am in self-isolation. So I can't meet people for such a long time.

Submitted by Asni on Fri, 05/06/2020 - 18:28

After my graduation, I started to meet new people once in a blue moon. Most of the time, that happens either in the gym, or when I go on holiday in the airport or even after getting on the plane if I manage to start a conversation with the person sitting next to me...

Submitted by eshan.saif on Tue, 02/06/2020 - 17:46

I rarely face new people. But when i travel anywhere alone i like to gossip with new people to enjoy the boring time. Basically in that situation, i am used to meet new people.

Submitted by Shaista on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 17:08

Before covid.....I met alot of people coz I was in london for three months for uni test .....where I met many people and they really helped me in every situation whatever I face .....now we are in lockdown

Submitted by Basem Ali on Mon, 01/06/2020 - 14:05

Before COVID-19 epidemic I used to meet many people in my working especially when I was went to visit the affected families by war but nowadays I meet few people when I conduct only coordination meetings with relevant stakeholders through ZOOM

Submitted by Teresa Chi on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 15:10

before Covid- 19, i was use to meet a lot of people from different country every day, that's because my school is a language centre. but now i rest at home all the time, metting my friends only online

Submitted by Leonardo Lisboa on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 06:24

I rarely meet new people, I like to stay home on the weekends, and in the week I just study very hard.

Submitted by amal.araia on Thu, 28/05/2020 - 00:58

I often meet new students and their parents at the beginning of every school year..

Submitted by ILYES on Sat, 23/05/2020 - 15:39

often in my work I meet a lot new people , that is because type of my work . i have coffee shop this is my work , people coming to my shops to drink coffe or to watching football matches , there is a lot of nois in the shop .

Submitted by facuabel on Fri, 22/05/2020 - 19:55

I always meet people. I like meet people of diferent culture and talking about everythings

Submitted by Nsengir on Thu, 21/05/2020 - 12:41

This is change. When I was working I was meeting so many people. But Now I am in Corona days. So I can not meet people.

Submitted by Cristhopher on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 20:33

Sometimes I meet new people online, especially through Facebook and Instagram. They are people who have some friends in common with me or people that work in the same place as me. It is good to meet new people in order to expand your friend circle and maybe start doing something new or different.

Submitted by mouna99 on Sat, 16/05/2020 - 14:28

I rarely meet new people I am dissociable person

Submitted by Hrachia on Thu, 14/05/2020 - 10:26

Unofortunately no. Now I'm sitting all day home because of corona breakdown. Before this disaster It still could happen.

Submitted by c.lopes23 on Wed, 13/05/2020 - 19:51

I always meet a new person

Submitted by Hello from Russia on Wed, 06/05/2020 - 19:55

This happens regularly, but now during the corona it is a little bit so hard.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Wed, 06/05/2020 - 17:55

It's difficult for me to answer the similar question accurately. Indeed I can meet many new people over a week, but it can happen that I know nobody during a month.

Submitted by konatenasty on Wed, 06/05/2020 - 11:30

I often meet people.When i am on the trip i meet different people. We often became good friends.

Submitted by Fatemeh.Najafzadeh on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 02:08

when I take my son to park, gathering, event and ets, I frequently meet new people.

Submitted by PILAR on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 01:05

In my case it is difficult to meet new people because I spend a lot of time in my work and there I don´t have the opportunity to join with others only with my mates. Even though I'll like to join with different groups.

Submitted by Bignon on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 19:17

I don't meet people frequently because I don't travel a lot. But sometimes at work I meet poeple.

Submitted by DANIELAE on Sat, 02/05/2020 - 00:51

At Job is usual I meet people because labor functions requiere that!

Submitted by Kitty pretty on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 06:35

i ever meet someone in 2 pass years ago, and yesterday i meet her.

Submitted by Angélique on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 15:39

I met different people when I went to Spain and Greece. It was very great =). I like meet different cultures, meals, traditions...

Submitted by Youssef Karfouh on Tue, 28/04/2020 - 14:00

i sometimes meet new people at school or at work

Submitted by Ronake on Sat, 18/04/2020 - 22:43

In my job i meet offten new people, usually stakeholders and people that we collaborate. There are people who i saw them once, and people who i have work for a long time together, I'm trying always to be friendly and polite with them.

Submitted by ss on Sat, 11/04/2020 - 00:27

When i step out of the house i get to meet some of my neighbours but these days even that is not possible due to the current situation.

Submitted by zabiullah on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 17:37

i sometimes meet new people in my work place... bxz i have worked a bank that so many people come to in my office and borrow money...for this reason i meet new people. although i would like to meet foriegn people that they come from onther country. bxz i know new culture, new language, new ideas it can help me to know better our world....

Submitted by Aya Sayed on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 22:12

I rarely meet people . It's difficult to get job through days so I still stay at home until now.

Submitted by Lê Đình Khiêm on Sat, 04/04/2020 - 15:45

sometimes, because I don't go out and I'm afraid to talk to strangers

Submitted by Silambarasan on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 10:56

I usually meet new people. When I go to supermarket, go to new class or go on street.

Submitted by Yuzana on Wed, 01/04/2020 - 04:35

I used to meet with new people last 2 years ago because I was a researcher and conducted to survey with many new people. At the moment, I'm staying at my home due to the global pandemic virus, so I cannot meet people.

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Mon, 30/03/2020 - 18:05

I meet new people more often.

Submitted by Nane on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 22:54

Hi! I meet people frequently because of my job. I have to teach people and i have differents groups every month. Regards, AM

Submitted by Yenn nguyen on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 10:03

The fist I introduce myself and so happy when met a new friend. Ask name, ask old, ask where from, ask when your free time how to do you often? as like familiar.

Submitted by HMida on Mon, 23/03/2020 - 16:35

I can meet new people in many occasion. It can be in work when i visit or receive a new customer. Also, in gym where there always a new registrants. In political party, i met different person from different backgrounds.

Submitted by Kapustina on Sat, 14/03/2020 - 12:31

Hey. i usually meet new people when i come party or travel abroad

Submitted by s4lemm on Tue, 03/03/2020 - 11:50

I meet new people when I travel.