Unit 7: Organising your writing

Make your emails clear and easy to understand by properly organising them.

Organising your writing

The people you write to will understand well-organised emails much more easily.

Writer purpose

When you write an email, you need to make clear why you are writing. You can do this by using the phrase 'I am writing to (+ verb)' at the start of your email. Here are some examples:

I am writing to ask for further details about ...
inform you that my new address is …
complain about your customer service.
say thank you very much for all your hard work.
apply for the job as Teacher of Maths at your school.

Paragraphs

• Emails are easier to read if the writer uses paragraphs.
  • A paragraph in an email is often two or three sentences long.
  • Each paragraph starts on a new line.
  • When you start writing about a new topic, you can start a new paragraph.

Look at this example email to a friend.

Paragraph 1
Greeting
Hello Dmitri,
How is life? I haven't seen you for a long time. How are your children?
Paragraph 2
Reason for writing
I'm writing with some good news – my wife is having a baby next month. We think it's going to be a girl, and we're very excited. But I also wanted to ask you something!
Paragraph 3
Request
You told me you have lots of baby clothes. Do you think I could borrow some for my baby? I've looked in the shops, and new baby clothes are so expensive … Could you let me know if this is OK?
Paragraph 4
Other news
By the way, I've also started a new job. It's going really well!
Paragraph 5
'look forward to' and ending
Anyway, I look forward to hearing from you soon. Give my best wishes to your wife and family. Regards,
George

Submitted by Olga_Chernyav on Fri, 19/11/2021 - 16:36

Thank you, I improved my email writing skills.

Submitted by IlyaK on Tue, 16/03/2021 - 20:36

The message structure is very relevant.

Submitted by Myo Thu Aung on Tue, 26/01/2021 - 04:23

Thanks this is help me a lot.

Submitted by kreker on Fri, 11/12/2020 - 13:16

there were some difficulties

Submitted by _Sergey222 on Thu, 10/12/2020 - 14:18

This unit helped me organize my email correctly.

Submitted by Julia.a on Wed, 09/12/2020 - 00:22

Using this test, I learned how to organize my letters, thanks

Submitted by anna999 on Tue, 08/12/2020 - 23:55

Pretty obvious but useful information

Submitted by EvgeniyKulikov on Tue, 08/12/2020 - 15:10

The tasks were not difficult, I completed everything without mistakes

Submitted by margarita.draganchuk on Mon, 07/12/2020 - 17:51

Very good tasks, I was able to correct my mistakes in letters

Submitted by Pavel_Kharchenko on Thu, 03/12/2020 - 12:22

The task was interesting and useful, I did it quickly.

Submitted by Nikita Maslov on Fri, 27/11/2020 - 13:37

I have done it very quick, hope I will remember this lesson

Submitted by vika_belan on Fri, 27/11/2020 - 13:37

I did everything from the first time, it was quite easy and interesting

Submitted by Ruffle on Fri, 27/11/2020 - 07:32

That was easy and good unit! Kolovorotniy copmleted this one on November, 27th

Submitted by Dilnoza Sulaymonova on Fri, 12/06/2020 - 12:21

thanks for organizators

Submitted by Nancy Nguyen on Fri, 07/12/2018 - 14:16

Hello, In task 4, I see " we're getting married next February", is it the continuous present tense?. So could I write " we're going to marry next Feb" or " we will be married next Feb? Which correct? Could you please explain it to me? Thanks so much.

Submitted by Kirk on Fri, 07/12/2018 - 17:05

In reply to by Nancy Nguyen

Hi Nancy,

The present continuous is often used to speak about arrange events in the future. Saying it this way implies that the wedding date has already been set, the place and reception already planned, etc.

'to marry' exists as a verb, but we don't use it as often and it's usually used transitively, for example, 'I married her when I was very young'. 'we will be married' is also possible, but when we use 'married' as an adjective, it tends to describe a state rather than a process. Instead of 'we're going to marry' or 'we will be married', most people would say 'we are getting married' to talk about the event. If the important thing was the fact that you will be a married couple in February, then 'we will be married' would be more appropriate.

If you follow the link above, you can see several example sentences which can help figure out how these words are used. If you have any more questions, please let us know.

Submitted by Nay Min Aung on Fri, 15/12/2017 - 09:32

First of all, I would like to say "Thank you and your organization very much". I try to answer your task as i can but I enjoy it.

Submitted by quyndy on Wed, 12/07/2017 - 17:24

Such a useful website! Many thanks for your brilliant work!

Submitted by HariniJ96 on Fri, 02/06/2017 - 14:27

When writing an email, if I want to add my resume or any other attachment to the email where should I mention it at the end of the email before the ending phrase or in between the mail??

Hello HariniJ96,

I think that the most common thing nowadays is to mention it inside the body of your email. Usually there is a sentence or paragraph where you talk about your work experience, so I would include it there.

With 'snail mail' (i.e. letters sent on paper), it is standard practice to put the words 'Enclosure: CV' or something similar, but that is not usually done in emails as far as I know.

Submitted by iamDEV on Sun, 14/05/2017 - 11:46

Hello, My name is Debasish Mohanty, and i am from india. i am glad that i found this website and get to learn this , it gives me confidence to write effective email . Through out my education i never got a chance to learn how a proper email should be written. Thanks a lot to your team for coming up with a course like this. I look forward to learn more easy and effective learning like this. with best wishes, Debasish Mohanty

Submitted by Kirk on Sun, 14/05/2017 - 17:46

In reply to by iamDEV

Hello Debasish,

Welcome! Thanks for letting us know you find our site useful. I'd encourage you to take some time to look around the site, as there is an awful lot here that could potentially help you. If you're looking for something specific, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Submitted by quyenpham on Wed, 26/04/2017 - 07:48

this lesson is really useful for me to write an email that i have not done before, from now i know exactly how to write an email. thank u so much, hope u can load many lesson like this best regards, quyen

Submitted by CINDY TRINH on Tue, 21/03/2017 - 15:44

Hello Peter M, could you please help to check grammar for below email, thank you in advance. "Dear Lily, Hope everything good for you! Thanks so much for your small gift, I was very happy when had it. As we talked on the telephone on this morning, I would like to use some materials from your side for my new samples. Could you send me your material catalogues for reference if it possible? I very appreciate for your support! Look forward to hearing your feedback soon! Best Regards, Cindy Trinh"

Hello Cindy Trinh,

I'm afraid we don't provide a checking service like this. We are a small team here at LearnEnglish and if we tried to offer a service like this we would never end and have no time for our other work. We're happy to provide help regarding the material on our pages, of course, and to answer more general questions about English where we can.

Best wishes,

Submitted by heyle on Mon, 30/01/2017 - 07:31

It is very interesting lesson.

Submitted by Nina79 on Tue, 24/01/2017 - 13:22

Is it ok to write: ' I am looking forward to hear from you soon.' ?

Hello Nina79,

'to' in 'look forward to' is a preposition, and we use the -ing form of verbs when they come after prepositions. So if you change it to 'I am looking forward to hearing from you soon', it will be correct.