An invitation to a party

Listen to some phone messages with directions to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Automated message: You have two new messages. Message number one, received today at 3.45 p.m.

Hi, it's me. How's it going? I guess you're at work and you don't have your phone on, right? First of all, thank you, THANK YOU for the birthday card and message. I received it this morning. That's so nice of you. I'm organising a little party for my birthday. It's nothing very big – only a few of my best and closest friends. That means you too! We're going to have it at my cousin's house. She lives in the countryside in a nice big house with a swimming pool. I'd love to see you there. It's going to be this Friday. I'll send you the instructions on how to get there later, OK?

Anyway, have fun at work. Don't work too hard, OK? Talk soon.

Automated message: You have two new messages. Message number two, received today at 5.15 p.m.

Aw, you're still not answering your phone! OK, here are the instructions to get to my cousin's house for the party. Are you going to take your car? If you take the car, drive straight on Forest Road until you get to the motorway. Drive past Brownsville and take exit 13A. That's 13A. You drive down the road there and turn left. It's the first big house on the right. OK? If you're taking a bus, you can get the number 80 to Brownsville. Call me when you get there and somebody can pick you up in a car. I can't wait. This is going to be so great!

Submitted by ademyonet on Sun, 10/05/2020 - 15:09

I never lost my town. My town is very big but I know its everywhere. It is not possible my lost.

Submitted by Lauracastanos on Sat, 09/05/2020 - 22:18

The direction to get to my house is sometimes difficult because google maps is wrong for one block and people think that you have to go straight when you have to turn right and then left

Submitted by Fatemeh.Najafzadeh on Sat, 09/05/2020 - 02:31

It’s a little hard but finding the direction is not impossible. Currently, I was giving the instruction to a tourist but he didn’t get it, so I explained the direction on the my mobile’s map.

Submitted by Cihanakbaba on Fri, 08/05/2020 - 05:42

Hello Everybody, If you want to find my home, you have to drive straight on the Farmer Road. Pass the 3th exit and turn left to the Elinghton Rd. You’ll see on the right a small pink colour house. See u there :)

Submitted by shami88 on Mon, 04/05/2020 - 13:43

Good nice to learn a new words like ( closest .......) thanks

Submitted by Nadir on Fri, 24/04/2020 - 02:12

hi guys . i live in a small town in algeria where there is easy to find your destination . in other places in algeria for exeple our capital town it s easy to get lost there ,but actually with the power of infotmatics there is a lot of application wich help us to find our destination anywhere .

Submitted by Marc Aguililla on Wed, 22/04/2020 - 20:33

I think that is a good listening because it's easy to understand. In my opinion, having a birthday party with friends is always good and a very good way to enjoy such a special day!

Submitted by Marc Aniceto on Wed, 22/04/2020 - 15:48

In this activity I've learned a lot the form to how to invite someone to a party and how to tell to someone about the directions. Also, listening the pronunciation, I learned how to say some words that after I didn't know how to pronunciate. In conclusion, this activity is really good like all the others.

Submitted by S.S on Mon, 20/04/2020 - 15:32

It is easy to get lost my town because there are many houses and the roads are complicated in my town.So,I often teach the way to teachers who come to my town.

Submitted by carol alves on Wed, 15/04/2020 - 21:16

Well, I live in Sao Paulo, Brazil, it's a big city. A public transport it's not so good, then i'ts very easy to lost here. The turist always needs to our help.

Submitted by marwa111 on Mon, 13/04/2020 - 20:26

Hi everyone, I live in France in toulouse. It's a big city, but it's very simple to get around Toulouse. It's not easy to get lost here thanks to public transport. I have ever given directions to friends and they had no problems.

Submitted by Miri am on Sun, 12/04/2020 - 17:48

In our time with using Waze (navigation apps) it's not problem to find something in big city but if I haven't internet line it be very hard for me to take a right direction.

Submitted by Aye Chan on Sun, 12/04/2020 - 06:52

It is easy to get lost in my city, Mandalay. Mandalay is one of the largest cities in my country,Myanmar. It is also a cultural heritage city. There are also many small streets. I have also given direction to visitors.

Submitted by Mi.m.ferreira on Wed, 08/04/2020 - 23:33

Yes, I live in SP which is a big city. I have already helped an American to get to Masp and a Japanese to get to Ibirapuera Park. I found it difficult to explain the instructions.

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 14:56

Hi, Yes, it is. Yes, I had. Thanks.

Submitted by Ane on Thu, 02/04/2020 - 17:43

It's easy to get lost in my city. There are many streets. On the streets there are signs treated not always messages where they are going. Maybe my city is not too big but there are many streets that are very long and you can easily make mistakes.

Submitted by Grazia on Tue, 24/03/2020 - 14:50

It's not so easy to get lost where I live, it's a small Town and not so touristic. It's a real pity, there is a beautiful big Castle downtown and two amazing squares with bars restaurants, shops, surranded by a joyful atmosphere. I gave instructions to some visitors, but It Washington very simple..... they were Italian :-)

Submitted by Eswar on Tue, 17/03/2020 - 17:22

Yeah it is easy to get lost My town,Although There is a plenty of Sign boards shows the how to get the correct address. I gave the directions to So many people While they lost the Right way .through that i improved my communication Skills. It's great experience For Me.

Submitted by Wan Wan on Sun, 15/03/2020 - 07:56

My hometown is a small village in Lam Dong. It's don't have lots of streets so I never got lost before. One time when I was in Saigon there was a foreigner who asked me the way to go to the Notre Dame Cathedral but as I just a visitor like him too so I can't tell him where is it.

Submitted by Quinzia on Thu, 12/03/2020 - 14:53

Hi everyone, I'm italian and i live in Bologna but it isn't my hometown. I'm here for University. Anyway, my hometown is a little city in the centre of italy. Vary cute! it's possibile arrive with airplane in a near city, and later takes a train. the train trip lasts 40 minuts. The city is divides in 2 part, one of this is the old town is located on a hill... the view is amazing becuase overlook the bay. the second part it located near the sea and it's a tourist destination i don't like it because it's lived only in summer. Mainly there are italian tourists, but sometime there is tourists from England or Germany. It's a quite city, nice for relaxing and for a walk near the sea.
I so love Italy. I hope very soon all the epidemic will end soon and Italian will be happy again.

Submitted by jason2295 on Sun, 08/03/2020 - 20:07

The city where I live is very small one, so I think it is very easy to give a direction. Till now I've never gievn a direction to visitors, I hope I do it a day.

Submitted by Giahaitruong on Mon, 02/03/2020 - 16:33

I'm living in Hanoi, it's a big city in Viet Nam. Of course it is very easy to get lost in here, we have old quarter erea with small street and many ancient houses. I think it's complicated for tourist to travel in Hanoi. I have given directions for a visitor when I was a child. A men asked me the way go to Hoan Kiem lake and I helped him with his map.

Submitted by Sirvan7 on Thu, 27/02/2020 - 09:02

Hi everyone I'm sirvan,I live in the east of iran ,My city is not very big but I remmember that many years a go my father's super market was near to the store which sale some herbal things like for example spice,herbal tea and so on... and i met a lot of visitor which they asked me this plase address.

Submitted by Talha Munir on Tue, 25/02/2020 - 19:29

Yas, when I was child I go to Bazar with my grandfather, but on that day it's very crowded, he told me that you can stand here I will came here in few minutes but, I would stand there, I go for to Searcy him and I lost him in crowd, so I can't see him then because there is alot of rush then a police take me and then find my grandfather father.. thanks to Police man who helped me.

Submitted by Vladlen on Sat, 15/02/2020 - 01:40

Hello. My name is Vladislav. I'm from Russia. In my hometown it is very difficult to get lost, because it is very small. And there are two main streets and that’s it. Yes, I gave directions to the visitor. It was in another city. One foreigner approached me and I showed him the way, I don’t remember what he asked

Submitted by ILYES on Mon, 03/02/2020 - 23:20

Hi everyone . I live in BATNA , Its number 05 of 48 states in ALGERIA , I never get lost in BATNA's streets , because i born and living there , and its a litttle big city I work in my coffe shop in the center shoping , I do meeting a lot of visitor who theiy comes from the villages and from every where , And theiy do asking for their own destinations , soo i help them

Submitted by MaryaSun on Thu, 23/01/2020 - 14:17

hello, i am italian and i live in the southes of Italy. My city is not very big, like as Milan or Rome or Florence so, i think, it is difficult to lose myself there. my city is organized in a modular way. I live near the airport and i always take the bus to go in the city centre on the airport bus park. Sometimes i meet turists on the bus , not only italian tourist but also english or french or spanish ones. I always ask them if they want i help them with the directions where they are going to. I love help them expecially when the visitors are foreign, i can improve my english and challenge myself.

Submitted by john098 on Wed, 15/01/2020 - 17:33

I think it's easy to get lost in my village, although on the way to get there that a lot of boards that show informations about the regions and streets. But plenty of my friends have lost when they tried to find out the right way. So finally, i was compelled to direct them ...!!! It's a especially experience for me

Submitted by shahhoseini on Mon, 13/01/2020 - 13:49

I live in a large city. However, there are lots of boards that show regions and streets. I have already given address to visitors but nowadays some applications such as Waze and Google Maps help to find a direction to destinations.

Submitted by Dariusz on Tue, 07/01/2020 - 01:49

It's not hard to get lost everywhere where you are the first time. Doesn't matter how big town it is. My town is quite big, has three hundred thousand of population. There are many streets and buildings, so be lost is possibly indeed and I sometimes give any direction to a visitor.

Submitted by Fredandy on Thu, 02/01/2020 - 16:04

My Town is difficult to find because the number of road exist just in the plan. But if you come with an ivorian, it will be easy. My town is near the biggest University of the country. If you arrived at the University, call me and I will come to take you.

Submitted by Mohamad-Altaha on Sun, 22/12/2019 - 19:08

My town is tiny and simple, so there is no chance to get lost there. Have I ever given directions to a visitor? yes, I have but wrong directions ;)

Submitted by le van son on Thu, 14/11/2019 - 15:42

yes. it's very easy. I can go to my town using a motorbike go straight to the street and turn left when you see the coffee on the left.

Submitted by f.agadr on Mon, 04/11/2019 - 11:54

f.agadr The speaker has a lovely voice. I have completed the following lessons of an invitation to a party. The level that I choose was pre intermediate A2

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Wed, 23/10/2019 - 19:00

Whenever I come across curved roads in town, suddently I lose my sense of direction...

Submitted by Asliayan on Tue, 22/10/2019 - 12:49

indeed, I'm sure I will get my expectation regards this English learn

Submitted by ikmalzulkifli on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 06:08

This is harder than what I expected but to be honest it was good .

Submitted by Ame on Sun, 22/09/2019 - 23:47

In my city you can not miss it because it is very small. I have never given instructions to get anywhere.

Submitted by abigail power on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:16

i have completed the following lessons of changing plans, a morning briefing and an invitation to a party. the level that i choose was pre intermediate A2

Submitted by abigail power on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:05

i have completed the following lessons of an invitation to a party. the level that i choose was pre intermediate A2

Submitted by dunstanmaringai on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:16

this is nice for improving student listening skill

Submitted by afieqahhh on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:40

I loves listening to her talks and how she speaks in English.

Submitted by amirahsyasya on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:21

I have completed the following lessons of a student disscussion , a weather forecast and making a desicion . The level that I choose was Pre-intermediate A2 Listening

Submitted by Raqueline Monteiro on Tue, 03/09/2019 - 15:37

My city is bigger! Here we have many streets where you can lost. But, we always help who need a help. I gave instructions a lot of people, mainly in tourist places.

Submitted by Ahmad Bacha on Fri, 30/08/2019 - 16:03

I live in small city, so, no one lost there, because the people there knows each others. When my friends comes from another city I tell them the directions in a correct way