Agreeing and disagreeing

In this video, Emir and Paul discuss a design for a client. Listen to the language they use for agreeing and disagreeing and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say!

Do you know what to say when you agree and disagree? Listen out for useful language for agreeing and disagreeing. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Paul: So?

Emir: I'm not convinced by that idea.

Paul: Why?

Emir: Well, this design is just too simple.

Paul: It's not simple, it's minimal. Plus, it's what the client asked for.

Emir: I'm not so sure. Look … Look at these designs here. I think this is the style that the client wants.

Paul: Hmmm … I think I disagree. They said they wanted it clean and minimal.

Emir: These designs are clean and minimal.

Paul: Look, don't get me wrong, Emir. I like them, but I don't think they fit the brief. For example, here, there's just a bit too much going on.

Emir: OK, I see what you mean, but without all the colour, it would look a bit … empty.

Paul: True. OK, how about taking that and that away? So it still looks interesting, but less busy.

Emir: OK … maybe you've got a point there. Actually, that has given me an idea.

Emir: So we remove the blue. I think that creates a nice balance.

Paul: Yeah, yeah. I think you're right. Changing the circles helped too.

Emir: I agree. So we're happy with this now?

Paul: Yes, definitely.

Emir: So it looks like we can agree!

Paul: Occasionally.

Ana: Hello again! I'm pleased that Paul and Emir agreed with each other in the end. So, did you notice the useful phrases used for agreeing and disagreeing? Listen to me and then repeat.

I'm not convinced by that idea.

I'm not so sure.

I think I disagree.

Don't get me wrong, but I don't think they fit.

I see what you mean, but it looks a bit empty.

OK, maybe you've got a point there.

I think you're right.

Yes, definitely.

I agree.

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you agree and disagree in English. Bye for now!

Do you need to improve your English speaking skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English speaking skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

Submitted by Zahra2004 on Wed, 10/03/2021 - 09:45

On last week I think I was disagree with my friends opinion, she was upset with me and now I don't think we can be a friend again.

Submitted by PARIMALA MADIAZHAKAN on Mon, 08/03/2021 - 04:27

Yes, last time I disagree with my friend opinion while we discuss about our childhood friend. My childhood friend is a girl and she now addicted with the tinder activities. My friend Priya also support her addiction. That's why I disagree with her opinion.

Submitted by SAURABH TIWARI on Sun, 07/03/2021 - 08:26

Usually I don't convince with anybody but after successful interrogation I become.
Profile picture for user Mai. O.

Submitted by Mai. O. on Sat, 06/03/2021 - 14:54

Last week I disagreed with my housemate. We are friends and we are planning to rent a place just for the two of us. She prefers a house and I prefer an apartment. The main issue is she wants to have a small garden, and I am ok finding a park nearby. We finally agreed on renting a small house with a patio, close to the park we both enjoy going for a run.

Submitted by Ari on Tue, 02/03/2021 - 20:14

Last time I disagreed with my sister's choice of the movie we wanted to watch. This happens all the time, because we love different genres, but sometimes we really want to watch something together. So we argue for a long time before finding the best movie.

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Mon, 01/03/2021 - 23:23

The last time I disagreed with my friend it was about the latest technology, it makes people so lazy.

Submitted by Saad786 on Sat, 27/02/2021 - 10:41

I disagreed with my friend last time when we were planning our fun fair trip. He wanted to take bat and bowl with him to play cricket at fun fair. I could not agree with him as I wanted to play video games there. Consequently our plan failed. Afterwards, we agreed to take football at fun fair because there was big lush-green outfields.

Submitted by Adrian49 on Thu, 25/02/2021 - 20:34

Hi everyone! First of all, I don't know why this website shows that I'm located in Germany. However, last time I disagreed with my colleague. We have anything in common and we often argue.

Hello Adrian49,

I'm sorry about the mix-up regarding your location. If you choose the Edit tab when you log in, you can modify your account. Choose the 'Account information' tab and then at the bottom of the screen you should see a list of options for your country.

Hope this helps.

Submitted by Torrent on Tue, 16/02/2021 - 23:54

Sometimes people desagree to each other mainly when they are working together.

Submitted by Carlos Rodriguez on Sat, 13/02/2021 - 18:29

A few days I was discussing with an friend about this sentece she wrote "I going to ask a review when I will arrive to my home" the contest was a English home work for practice, ... then I corrected her and I said: I think, I disagree. Don't get wrong, but I don't think that phases fit the sentence. Finally I sent to her this correct structure " I'm going to review it, when I will arrive at home"... but She stay in disagreeing with me finally.

Hello Operations Learnings English,

I'm afraid neither sentence is correct! We would not use 'will' here in the if-clause, or 'at' with 'arrive'. You could say any of these:

I'm going to review it, when I arrive home.

I'm going to review it, when I get home.

I'm going to review it, when I am at home.

Also, if you say I'm going to review it then the speaker is doing the review themselves. If someone else is doing the review for you, then you need to say I'm going to ask for a review or I'm going to get someone to review it.

Submitted by Taniasuarezarvizu on Sat, 13/02/2021 - 05:21

The last time i disagreed with someone it was with one of my best friends. The situation was that we were thinking what to cook at night. She wanted cook fried chicken and me pasta. In the end we decided cook pasta with pieces of chicken.

Submitted by Eman.F.R. on Sat, 06/02/2021 - 05:49

The last time I disagreed with someone was yesterday with my brother. We were talking about travelling abroad.I think we should set a goal and then we have to make a plan for achieving it within a definite time frame. He disagreed with me and said " I see what you mean, but it looks a bit easy ". I said "Don't get me wrong , I know it is not so sofisticated , but i think you should be a bit organized ! " .
Don't get me wrong but I also disagree with you. I think one should not plan so much and make set of goals before travels, as it kills the adventure part. But you have a point here that one must be a bit organised and I agree with that.

Submitted by macla on Thu, 28/01/2021 - 01:28

The last time I've disagreeing with someone was with my ex boss because I was not convinced about the way she was talking to us, so, I decided to talk to her in order to clarify this situations and express what I was feeling and well, I felt good.
Profile picture for user Asolwis220

Submitted by Asolwis220 on Tue, 26/01/2021 - 09:39

The last time that I´ve disagreeing with someone, was with my cousin for she don´t like to eat vegetables and healthy food and for her was very important in this moment eat good, because she was a little ill and she needed to eat brocoli and salads, however in the end she thanked me for being so insistent because, she improved a lot.

Submitted by Htet Su Naing on Fri, 22/01/2021 - 18:34

I disagreed with my boyfriend yesterday. We talked about Korea drama and argued why we are not much romantic like in the drama. He told me that the real world has not background music and slow motion. I'm not sure for his answer. Do you agree or disagree?

Submitted by Fernanda Dominguez on Thu, 21/01/2021 - 02:46

The last time I disagree with someone was yesterday, my sister and I were trying to make a familiar recipe and remembered different ingredients. At the end it worked.

Submitted by German on Wed, 20/01/2021 - 02:16

The last time I disagreed with someone was today because mi wife and I discused about a topic
Profile picture for user Oksi1001

Submitted by Oksi1001 on Mon, 18/01/2021 - 13:15

We have been doing appartment renovation with my boyfriend. And disagree to each other quite often. Last time was 2 days ago. We chose a washing machine and i liked one, but my boyfriend thinks this one is agly and inappropriate.He offered one, that not better than my choise. We are looking for a compromise currently.

Submitted by nancyvirginiare on Wed, 13/01/2021 - 19:48

The last time i disagree with someone was with my mom talking about the best way to set up new prices for products in our familia business.

Submitted by Melissa Ayala on Wed, 13/01/2021 - 18:47

I always disagree with people when they discuss a certain topic but they don't read to be sure about it

Submitted by Justine STM on Mon, 11/01/2021 - 15:07

The last time i disagree with someone was with my best friend in a dinner. He wanted to play at a society game with all present people, but i was with my new boyfriend who didn't speak french. So i was thinking he couldn't play with us and then didn't enjoy the moment.

Submitted by M19 on Sun, 10/01/2021 - 08:34

I remember one day at work, a colleague of mine suggested that a certain instrument be used for making assessments. I was not convinced by the idea, however much she insisted that it would save time and reduce risks. From my experience in using it on clients, more time was spent in taking measurements than on addressing clients' urgent needs. Also, the potential for injury was high considering the fact that the instrument had to be attached on the client's body. She understood and realized that I was actually right after gathering further information on that particular instrument. Comparisons were made in relation to other available ones, clients experiences and expectations were documented and finally a decision was reached that everyone agreed to.

Submitted by Ololade on Thu, 07/01/2021 - 22:57

This is really cool and educating.

Submitted by yuyu on Thu, 07/01/2021 - 08:31

Last night, I disagree with my friend. We found two dresses online and she think pink one is prettier but I don't think so.

Submitted by Joesph on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 13:56

My friend suggested to me go to the mountain next weekend, But I disagree with his idea because the weather is not clear there are a lot of clouds and maybe its going to rain, I informed him my wish to spend the time in the home and watching a movie.

Submitted by Gabi on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 11:49

I loved this activity.

Submitted by YewandeAdeosun on Fri, 25/12/2020 - 18:23

I really find this helpful. I learnt new words

Submitted by YewandeAdeosun on Fri, 25/12/2020 - 18:19

Today. I disagreed with my boyfriend . He argued with me on replying exes chats although I am not convinced. In my opinion I feel that it’s not bad replying exes chats

Submitted by Thinn Thiri Myo on Thu, 24/12/2020 - 04:57

Yesterday,I disagree with my mom.I give her some advice.But she says,it didn't do like that because it doesn't match with her.

Submitted by Kp on Thu, 17/12/2020 - 15:04

Oh well, it’s like couple of days ago. Me and my colleague got a project to make report. So then we have some dissatisfaction with the conclusion part but at last we agreed on different conclusion.

Submitted by Randall on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 02:04

The last time when i disagreed with someone was when i had to develop a new database in my work due to i dediced to use Oracle rather that SQL and my boss did'nt want to spend a lot of money buying an Oracle licence. Finally, i was able to convice him that Oracle was the best option because the results were gonna be given by its fantastic performance...

Submitted by Ekowe on Mon, 14/12/2020 - 17:16

the last time I disagreed with someone is this morning at work. The answers of a colleagues didn't convinced me and i desagreed with his view point.

Submitted by Harrison on Sun, 13/12/2020 - 15:55

The last time argument was with my mom. There was a new English teacher and I was extremely uncomfortable with her teaching methods. As it was during the pandemic, I learned English with online class. However, there were many students with the background noise and I couldn't even have the conversation with the teacher. Teacher also did listen to me. It made me so furious and really pissed me off. But, my mom said that you needed to be tolerated during these time as the tutorial fees was given. So, how you guys think?

Submitted by TalhaÖzkan on Tue, 08/12/2020 - 20:26

The last time I disagree with Talha and Talat.They said We are going to studying day to day for next modül exam. OK … maybe you've got a point there, but this idea is unrealistic.

Submitted by WalaaHayek on Sun, 29/11/2020 - 14:20

Last time I disagreed with my husband, we were preparing a spaghetti meal and he wanted to put a lot of corn with it. I didn't think it fits with the spaghetti.

Submitted by Marina Hornus on Sat, 28/11/2020 - 20:56

Hello everyone, The last time that I disagree with someone was yesterday. I am part of a group of people who are working on offering help to rural workers. One person in that group had the idea to build a mobile lab in a truck. He asked me for the price of it, and I immediately tell him that it will not work because it is so expensive to move a truck with a lab and also it requires electricity for equipment to work. I tell him that it is cheaper to pick samples and analyze them in a traditional lab. He does not agree with me, but I do not care. I am sure that for analyzing samples of water it is better a traditional lab.

Submitted by samssira on Fri, 27/11/2020 - 21:11

The last time I desagreed whith someone it was about how to paint the livingroom, my father wanted grey color but me I prefer the white color because it makes the room more lightning.

Submitted by Phyu Sin on Sun, 22/11/2020 - 08:03

The last time I disagree with is my partner in my job because he didn't accept my idea and he was so bossy.

Submitted by Sana Omar on Sat, 21/11/2020 - 13:42

The last time I disagreed with my coworkers on the schedule of the training programmes we prepared.
Profile picture for user Aghaton

Submitted by Aghaton on Thu, 19/11/2020 - 15:09

Hello everyone, the last time I disagreed on something was when i and my wife had different thoughts about the groceries buying budget.I had my own list in mind while she had her own, but when it came to the real budget on the list , we had to choose which item on the list had to go away., I just never agreed on the ideas of removing or trimming the number of items from my list to balance the budget, likewise, she didn't like that to happen to hers.

Submitted by Cecilio Franzoni on Sat, 14/11/2020 - 17:19

Desagreeing and agreeing its important. I learned how to desagrre in a frendly maner

Submitted by Pola on Sat, 14/11/2020 - 13:46

In the last time, I disagreed with my big brother, he was wanting make a business in tourism field but I'm not convinced by that idea, after so that the covid-19 happened and everything stopped around the world, then he lost all his money.

Submitted by 777_gerchikkh_777 on Mon, 09/11/2020 - 09:53

Hi guys! Recently I have argue with my family, that self -education more important, than education. And need to try most of all . They said me : We think you don't right . What do you think ,who right???

Submitted by Rodrigo Abrantes on Sun, 08/11/2020 - 00:32

The last time I disagree with someone was when I was talking about politics. My friend doesn't have the same opinion as me.

Submitted by Khin Thandar Htun on Fri, 06/11/2020 - 05:09

The last time that I disagreed with is my friend. At that time, we were doing a presentation. But I think we disagreed because we didn't understand each other!

Submitted by Momocompanyman on Thu, 05/11/2020 - 10:52

Dear Team, what do you mean in this phrase : there's just a bit too much going on.