A Plastic Ocean: a film review

Read a review of the film 'A Plastic Ocean' to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text
Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

B2 English level (upper intermediate)

Submitted by ze-lal on Sun, 07/08/2022 - 06:19

The topic was interesting, I interest to watch the documentary

Submitted by Sihem2022 on Thu, 28/07/2022 - 11:24

hi
i recommend fast fashion documentary on netflix , it's talk about pollution and how people are scammed without knowing that.now i am gonna try to take a look on a plastic ocean

Submitted by mariab12 on Thu, 21/07/2022 - 23:08

I have to be honest, I can't recall any documentary, since the last time I watched any was like two years ago.

Submitted by Lietuvis on Sun, 03/07/2022 - 08:45

Hi everyone! I suggest you to see documentary 'MILKED'. They show how dairy farms harms, animals, water, land.

Submitted by vaavilag on Thu, 26/05/2022 - 18:43

I recommend Octopus My Teacher, as it demonstrates why we should not only worry about our own survival as specie, but to protect all the forms of life which exist all over the planet and even under the sea.

Submitted by haniemkh27 on Sat, 21/05/2022 - 14:26

well,rankly speaking I am not interested in these kind of films . so i haven't watched any of them but this passage motivate me to go and see these kind of programs and learn more about it.

Submitted by Jit Trippin on Wed, 18/05/2022 - 03:50

I have never actually watched this documentary, but now I think I am gonna watch.

Submitted by jayabalu on Tue, 17/05/2022 - 16:33

Plastic is one of the many widely available but overused items in today's world due to its low cost. I would like to maintain your thought about what we can do together to make our planet better. For instance, my family and I stopped using the plastic packets.

Submitted by yilis on Fri, 13/05/2022 - 00:07

I'm reading this now and it is sad to realized that Earth in some years will face an environmental catastrophe for the guilt of us, because we don't take care of our planet and we continue causing a lot of damage with the pollution of factories, the amount of trash in the ocean and in the cities and the biggest damage that is the continue use of plastic. We have to think more about our environment and what we can do to save it. We must take action now.

Submitted by Dinhnhan on Sun, 08/05/2022 - 11:26

Actually, I never watch this document film, I just read this article because of improving my English. Although I realize that plastics are destroying our earth, we still do not have an effective solution to solve this issue. Technology is growing rapidly, I hope someone are going to invent a tool to replace plastic. Thank you

Submitted by el.gonzalezr on Fri, 01/04/2022 - 02:03

Everybody knows how harmful the plastic is and talks about it, but it is different make sometihing to change that. We cannot change another person but we can change ourselves and this is the begining of everything.

Submitted by thanhthaole on Mon, 24/01/2022 - 15:42

I think I would recommend a documentary film about The Covid-19, which is the very trending topic so that everyone has a right outlook for this issue.

Submitted by Festus Munyaneza on Thu, 06/01/2022 - 17:47

Everyone has responsibility to protect our earth by not putting the plastic bottles everywhere instead put them in a reserved place to trash them. we should not use also plastic bags, and other products containing the plastic in them. recycle them and avoid to pollute the earth.
the text is inspiring and interesting.

Submitted by saurabh123 on Fri, 17/12/2021 - 08:53

I think every person having own responsibility to save the earth from plastic and such kind of things which create the pollution. The use of plastic in current scenario is uncountable. So try to other bags like paper made bags. Need to motivate our society to avoid plastic use.

Submitted by thuy pham on Sun, 28/11/2021 - 07:16

I think this is a really meaningful documentary film. It reminds us of the essential thing that we are not noticing or just ignoring. I appreciate the hard work of the filmmakers. I hope more people can watch this film and aware of their role to protect environment where we live.

I appreciated what they have done for warning us about the world of plastic which will make a great damage if we dont have any actions to protect the environment of one's own accord.

Submitted by Glenda Franche… on Mon, 08/11/2021 - 08:35

I really love documentary films, because at the end there is a lesson learned, overall if they treat historical or, as in this case, environemental themes.
I think that it is important also to introduce them in the school, in order that childrean starts to understand in which World we live, because they are the future and, if we are still in time to change, the small but effective action could be start from them.

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Sat, 23/10/2021 - 23:42

The documentary films I would recommend are Animals Kingdom and Wild Birds.

Submitted by mangnb on Thu, 21/10/2021 - 13:51

There are manny documentary I see. But i think plastic dump documentary is deserve to see. I hope government will work more on recycle

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Wed, 20/10/2021 - 13:18

There are lots of videos on online about plastic. Everyone knows that use of plastic is disastrous. But we need to immediately take action on this. Countries should make strict law about this.. and who use plastic deal with strictly.

Submitted by Wótila Carneiro on Wed, 20/10/2021 - 13:07

We need to take care our environment. Our seas are trashed a lot. Our forests are burning! We're making a plenty of trashes and don't recycle them! First of all, we need to teach aour children to take care the nature. Cause they will grow like a conscient persons.

Submitted by Tinelli on Mon, 18/10/2021 - 19:23

This topic is actually quite interesting because we (humans) have taken nature for granted, i.e., we haven't respected it as we should, and the result, as mentioned in the text, has been devastating: animals and plants have been dying. Nevertheless, there's still time for changes, such as those already commented above. By respecting nature, we respect our existence!

Submitted by kaanxcolak on Thu, 27/05/2021 - 12:24

I would recommend youtube videos about the waste of plastic life. Perhaps this can be awareness. We can deal with plastic life.

Submitted by Vanessa Rodrìguez on Thu, 06/05/2021 - 22:32

Hi, I couldn´t practice this lesson because it didn´t show me any reading, only a picture, this is the second time that I try to do it but it doesn´t show me anything. Could you help me? Thanks!!

Hi Vanessa Rodrìguez,

Thanks for letting us know. I've just checked the page and it seems fine, so it may have been a temporary error. Can you see the reading text now?

If not: which picture can you see - is it (1) the picture of rubbish on a beach, or (2) the picture of a seal with a plastic bottle? Do you find the same problem with other pages (e.g. this one)?

If it is still not working, one solution is to try opening the page with a different web browser and see if it works. I hope it works now but please let us know again if not, and I will investigate further. Thanks :)

Jonathan

Profile picture for user Peter M.

Submitted by Peter M. on Mon, 13/09/2021 - 07:17

In reply to by KarenAvdalyan

Hello KarenAvdalyan,

Jonathan replied to Vanessa Rodrìguez's post with several questions. You can see his answer below. If you're still having problems please reply to his post with the information he asked for and we'll see if we can help.

Most often, these kinds of problems are either compatibility problems where a particular device does not show the page correctly or local connection issues related to local internet regulations. You could try accessing the page via a different type of device (a laptop, for example, if you are having problems with a mobile device) to see if that helps.

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Tue, 20/04/2021 - 22:39

I would recommend watching several documentaries to learn about contemporary problems in the world.

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Tue, 20/04/2021 - 22:05

There is no text to read, it only shows a picture.

Hello Andrea Valencia,

I'm sorry to hear you're having some problems. I've checked the page and everything is functioning correctly on both Windows and Mac, so I can only gues that there is a compatibility issue. Try using a different browser or a different device, if you can - this may solve the issue. Sometimes there are compatibility problems with mobile devices, so if you have a laptop or desktop computer you might try this.

Hi Andrea,
You can read the article by downloading worksheet which stands below discussion section.
Regards.

Submitted by Frank Cuello on Sun, 04/04/2021 - 01:46

I recommend Colombia: Magia Salvaje, a documentary that shows the nature beauty and wonders of Colombia, a biodiverse country with a huge amount of unique species. In that way, the film also shows the environmental problems that suffer the country and give advices to fight against them.

Submitted by AulianFr on Mon, 22/03/2021 - 16:01

I would totally recommend you to watch the Walking With Dinosaurs series. This documentary series was produced by BBC probably in the 1990s. This documentary will take you to the Mesozoic era where dinosaurs still roaming the earth. It consists of six episodes, in which they tell you about specific times and also creatures. When you watch this series, you will find it fascinating to see these beasts perceived as real animals, not just monsters trying to eat each other. The story is really engaging, it feels like you are watching a drama since there will be a main dinosaur that you will follow along each episode. I am always in awe whenever I watch it because the CGI is just so good, even for that time.

Submitted by Mikhail1988 on Tue, 02/03/2021 - 05:51

I gorgot the calling of the movie. It's about russian history, famous russian kings. The graphic, voice acting are really fantastic. It consists of many series. The each one is about pecuiliar King. I recommend to watch.

Submitted by Daviddd on Thu, 18/02/2021 - 00:08

The truth of the matter is that even wheter the different programmes some of the peole are creating to save our planet from different enemies, one of those, the plastic e threw every single day to avoid our accountability... We are doing something that harms to ourselves, as soon is possible that "rubbish" is gonna be a real problem for this and the next society. To finish, We all have to raise awareness into this real issue due to the affect we have to the place we are right now.

Submitted by marlio96 on Wed, 03/02/2021 - 00:39

Some time ago I watched a documentary on Netflix about the war in Siria, it is pretty good, the filmmakers registered a lot of moments when the called "White Helmets" ran immediately forwards the place where buildings were destroyed by bombs launched by the airplane above the city, this action was very heroic and rescued a lot of people among there was a big amount of children. I really recommend it, it's very sad and emotive. This makes us wonder about how bad the war can be.

Submitted by Sue38 on Tue, 26/01/2021 - 13:53

We have a role to play in this situation. We should start now: Using less plastic, recycle everything is possible. Do not pollute the environment and look after the animals.

Submitted by yanina on Fri, 08/01/2021 - 10:44

My belief is that the invironmental care is one of the most important problem we must concern about. The evidence shows that all the being of the earth depend on it. If we are not responsible about it, we are ending with animals, humans, beautiful nature and the future life.. I personally take my own actions to contribute, for example, I am vegetarian since 2015, I recycle and reduce as much as possible, also I just buy things that I really need, trying to follow minimalism but not so hard.. I take my bag everytime I go to buy, in this way we don´t need to use more plastic bags.. If anyone have to say more inspiring actions that are taken, feel free to share and let´s make a better world together :)

Submitted by MEITE_MOHAMED on Thu, 31/12/2020 - 09:12

Hi everyone, It is written in the second paragraph "The largest animal on the planet" Does the preposition "on" work in this sentence? Help me please.

Hello Meite_Mohamed,

Yes, it is correct. We usually use 'on' with 'planet', I suppose because it is a surface.

It's been some time since I've used French regularly, but I think often 'de' is used in superlatives, which in English would be 'of'. English is a bit different -- most often, the preposition 'in' is used here, though 'of' is possible in some cases too. I'd suggest you have a look at our Comparative and superlative adjectives page to see some more examples.

Submitted by anahit_____ on Sun, 27/12/2020 - 10:19

It's too difficult to watch those poor animals dying, I am trying to do my best to help my world: we have 3 boxes at home for plastic, for glass and for paper, and if each of us does this we will have a huge progress. SO START TODAY, BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE!!!

Submitted by emoliveira1 on Sat, 26/12/2020 - 14:36

A very interesting documentary, that also makes us think about our role in the planet, is from David Attenborough's "A Life on Our Planet". You can watch it on Netflix and you will reflect on our impact on nature. The time to take action is right now! It is very important to become aware of all the issues related to plastic use, carbon emission, animal extinction, etc. I will for sure watch "A Plastic Ocean" on Netflix. Thank you for the suggestion and the review. :)
That documentary was so amazingly presented. And the sad part of it that there can be any movies or videos on this subject I don't think anything will change. But better to say that these movies don't reach people in need. People who sit down and watch it have already know this is a real program. :/

Submitted by Ehsan on Tue, 22/12/2020 - 14:17

I'm very interested in documentary films. I prefer documentaries related to successful humans, history, journeys, etc.

Submitted by Fatima123 on Thu, 26/11/2020 - 11:58

Its so sad and pathetic that after knowing all the facts about ocean pollution, we are still not controlling our plastic usage.

Submitted by thuyphan on Sat, 14/11/2020 - 14:03

I can realize the evil influences of plastic waste so that i’m going to try my best to decrease plastic items in my life. I made some fabric bags to hold food while buying them from market. Futhermore, i always bring some glass boxes instead containing food in plastic containers.
I applaud you for actually making a positive effort to reduce your plastic waste footprint. I would love to see your fabric bags.

Submitted by Ben2020 on Tue, 10/11/2020 - 00:14

I think whole world need working together to solve global pollution, everyone play a role ,classify the garbage separation of plastic and food etc.