Meeting a new team member

Listen to a conversation between two new colleagues to practise your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Peter: Hi, my name's Peter. What's your name?

Carla: Hi, Peter. I'm Carla. I'm new here.

Peter: Welcome to the company, Carla.

Carla: Thanks, Peter. I'm happy to be here and it's nice to meet you.

Peter: It's nice to meet you too.

Carla: Where do you work?

Peter: I work in the design team. We sit over there.

Carla: I'm in the marketing team. I started last week.

Peter: You work in marketing? That's very interesting.

Carla: Yes, it is. I'm enjoying it. But there are a lot of new things to learn.

Peter: I'm sure there are. I'm happy to help you if I can.

Carla: Thank you, Peter. What do you do in the design department?

Peter: I design new products.

Carla: That sounds interesting. I plan marketing events for new products. So I think we'll work together sometimes.

Peter: That would be great. So, where are you from, Carla?

Carla: Brazil. And you?

Peter: I'm from the UK.

Carla: How long have you been here?

Peter: I've worked here for three years but I actually moved here from the UK five years ago, to study.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by victor.07 on Mon, 05/04/2021 - 22:27

When I meet people for the first time I talk about hobbies and music
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Thu, 01/04/2021 - 12:49

Background, weather, interest.... ;)

Submitted by Nader Ahmed on Wed, 31/03/2021 - 14:28

When I meet people for the first time, I starting by introducing myself and ask them to introduce themselves, after that, we can talk about our works.

Submitted by Deyse Pinheiro… on Tue, 30/03/2021 - 19:23

When I don't know the person, I am quiet. But as I meet this person, I start to talk more.

Submitted by tvkien on Sat, 27/03/2021 - 09:04

I usually start a conversation with new one by introduce myself first, and then ask he/she name, what's study or work, something like that. If he/she is friendly, we will talk whatever

Submitted by SaraMessa on Wed, 24/03/2021 - 18:05

I'm very shy, so when I meet new people, I don't speak a lot. Usually I introduce my self, I speak about my job and my hobbies. Then I ask something about him/her.

Submitted by sherzad on Tue, 23/03/2021 - 08:10

I say: Hi, I'm Sherzad, nice to meet you. where are you from? what do you do? tell me more about you mother tongue.

Submitted by Veronikka on Sun, 21/03/2021 - 18:49

When I meet people for the first time, I introduce myself and then ask them for their names, work area, last job or place of work. And I offer my help in case you need it.

Submitted by TIa vinaka on Sun, 14/03/2021 - 03:12

Meeting people for the first time, What I talk about is it depends on where I meet the person. I try to find some common things if I want to make a good relationship with them. But normally I start with greetings and ask their names. then occupation, which country their from, where they live, something like that.
Hi, I am Mikhail. Good answer. I am learning English like you) I want find new people for communication and learn more fast. I am economist for oil company. I like bicycle, chess, books and many things. If you want communication too, plz send me mail to **********@*****.com Goodbye)

Hi MikhailZatopliaev,

Unfortunately, sharing personal contact details is not allowed in our House Rules. But you can practise conversation by writing comments and replies here on this site :)

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Submitted by Giuliana on Tue, 09/03/2021 - 16:42

I usually when i meet a new person I ask him/her what his name is, where he/ she from, how old are you, if she or he study and what's study or work and after i talk whatever
Profile picture for user mirtha

Submitted by mirtha on Tue, 09/03/2021 - 16:18

When I meet people for the first time I introduce myself and ask questions about work, studies, family and hobbies.

Submitted by RicardoRodrigu… on Fri, 05/03/2021 - 04:51

when I meet news people the first that I say. hello, are you ok?. Whats your name? it's nice to meet you.

Submitted by Majidaa909 on Thu, 25/02/2021 - 14:24

I usually first ask is name and whrer is working .

Submitted by MilGer on Sat, 20/02/2021 - 11:23

When I meet people I say 'Hi'

Submitted by Turko on Tue, 16/02/2021 - 17:35

when i meet with new one for the first time i try to seem helpful and friendly. if i feel closely i make a joke after i ask some question like what do you do? and anything and i think that is beautiful

Submitted by Brenda Patrici… on Mon, 15/02/2021 - 15:58

When I meet people for the first time, I don't talk to them much, but I sometimes say 'beautiful day' or 'it's cold' and I would rather talk about them than myself.

Submitted by Nasywa Shiyami… on Mon, 15/02/2021 - 03:17

When i meet new people for the first time i say greeting and introduce myself first, and usually i ask about they name, what name that i have use to call them, what they do (i mean they a student or worker), where they come, what they do in the place we meet, ask with whom they go and ended by general conversations but depends whom i meet and talk with.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Sun, 14/02/2021 - 13:34

Weather. (⊹^◡^)ノo.♡゚。* Beautiful day, isn't it? ~*。♡

Submitted by Angel Ramirez on Sun, 14/02/2021 - 02:35

When I meet people for the first time, I ask questions about hobbies, interests, musical tastes, studies, work, partners, etc.

Submitted by Brona on Fri, 12/02/2021 - 17:27

Generally, I would introduce myself and then ask him or her name. And then ask how is their day been so far , talk about the weather etc. I am not much of a talker and so I would let the other person speak. And then in between I would have few inputs of mine to put in.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Wed, 10/02/2021 - 14:45

I usually start with greeting. ;)

Submitted by ajoomy1 on Wed, 10/02/2021 - 10:47

I talk to them in general

Submitted by Shreya chakma on Mon, 08/02/2021 - 10:25

When I meet people for the first time, First let's get acquainted. Then I want to know about them and want to know where they live and what they do.

Submitted by Rao786 on Fri, 22/01/2021 - 07:37

Hi British council! I think all comments are useful or helpful for all beginners. When I Frist meet with my friends I try to make /offers a joke, make a group friend laugh and enjoy to my meeting and then ask him how are you? Studies and so alot thing about him.

Submitted by Leila77 on Thu, 21/01/2021 - 11:06

When I meet people for the first time I usually introduce myself and we talk about our job and our studies.

Submitted by In on Thu, 21/01/2021 - 07:35

When I meet people for the first time I use to introduce myself and ask about the other person about themself like, but they do, what hobbies they have, how long is they here, etc.

Submitted by IrinAristova on Mon, 18/01/2021 - 18:47

when I meet people for the first time I usually ask What's your name, What are your favorite things to do

Submitted by Ngu Wah on Thu, 14/01/2021 - 13:43

When I meet people for the first time, I ask them like that; What's your name? Where are you from? What do you do? Where do you live now?

Submitted by German on Mon, 11/01/2021 - 03:50

I usually talk with the people that just met about their hobbys, their family, information about profession and job.

Submitted by Gilda Di Biagio on Fri, 08/01/2021 - 23:38

when i meet people for the first time i speak of the environment where we are.

Submitted by paola Beltran on Fri, 08/01/2021 - 16:56

when i meet for the first time i ask about your self, i ask where are you from, and what do you do, what is your favorite food.

Submitted by Danilo Filipe … on Thu, 07/01/2021 - 16:13

When i meet people for the first time i usually try to be a nice and greatfully guy to them, as much as I can, to leave a good impression and to create a good environment. In general, firstly I start to introduce myself and if it possible I make a joke or try to make the people laugh. Then I ask them about basic information like name, age and for example which country do they from.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Thu, 07/01/2021 - 13:03

When I meet people for the first time, I start with a small talk, like weather, hometown, favorite meals....etc...

Submitted by karinaelizabeth on Thu, 07/01/2021 - 00:03

When I meet new people I used to talk about general information about me and about the other person.

Submitted by May Sabai Phyu on Sun, 27/12/2020 - 15:36

When I meet the people for the first time, normally I introduce myself. And then to start a conversation, I asked what's your name, where are you from, are you fine, are you ok in everything and so on.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Sun, 27/12/2020 - 04:32

When I meet first time I ask name, where 's from? I like to talk with new people. When I go another country or another state I talk to people I try to know his culture, languages, behaviour and other many things. I like meet new people.

Submitted by glen on Sun, 20/12/2020 - 20:18

In general, I normally ask people the first time I meet was what is their name, how is he/she, where she/he came from and what she/he does here for, and what I can do to help him/her. But when I meet a person first time at work, ask his/her name, department, is she/he a new hired employee? And I usually talk about work.

Submitted by shahimian on Fri, 18/12/2020 - 04:31

I'm interested to know what his or her name is and where she or he is from and where worked here.

Submitted by Sadflute07 on Thu, 17/12/2020 - 21:08

When I meet a new people in my job I try to be nice with her as much as i can to leave a good impression to her starting to introduce myself then ask her What is your name Are new practicing this job or you just move from another place

Submitted by serena93 on Wed, 16/12/2020 - 20:30

The first thing I do when I meet someone is ask what's his/her name and then I start the conversation asking for example in which city does he live in and what does he do for a living.

Submitted by Alex.BC on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 21:18

When I meet person for the first time I introduce my self and I ask his name. Then I ask Where he is from and What he does. As I understand it, the second sentence does not need auxiliary verbs because they are statements. Isn't that right?

Hello Alex.BC,

Your second sentence is correct (though the two question words should not be capitalised). Reported questions are formed using a 'normal' word order.

Submitted by Tatiana barrera on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 16:59

When I meet with people for the first time I usually talk about the basic information of them as name, age, and likes to can continue with thematics in common

Submitted by Manal on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 07:22

in the first, saying hi and ask him about his name additionally ask about his local country, and start to laughing with each other .

Submitted by AhKhd on Mon, 14/12/2020 - 15:20

I ‘m facing problems on how to write the sentences under the correct speaker. That means when I listen to conversation, I couldn’t understand a whole story in one time.

Submitted by Elplshe on Wed, 09/12/2020 - 12:02

Usually, when I meet someone to first time, i aske her haw are u

Submitted by MJH on Sat, 05/12/2020 - 03:29

I talk about the weather or football. If the conversation is good I like talking about the topic more personal.