Giving instructions

In this video, Vanya helps Emir learn how to use a new coffee machine. Listen to the language Vanya uses to give instructions and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say

Do you know what to say when you give instructions? Listen out for useful language for giving instructions. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Emir: Argh! It's not working.

Vanya: Are you OK?

Emir: Do you know how to use this machine?

Vanya: Yeah, I'll show you.

Emir: Ah, thanks.

Vanya: OK. First, you have to put the correct amount of coffee in here.

Emir: Aha.

Vanya: Then you press it down with this.

Emir: I see.

Vanya: Right, OK. Next, you put this here and turn it until it's quite tight.

Emir: Right.

Vanya: After that, you just press this button.

Emir: OK, that seems clear.

Vanya: Great! Now it's your turn.

Emir: Is this OK?

Vanya: Yes, that's right. Now press it down.

Emir: Like this?

Vanya: Yeah, you're doing well.

Emir: Thanks! What do I do next?

Vanya: Connect it to the machine.

Emir: Is there anything else?

Vanya: That's it. Just press the button.

Vanya: Well?

Emir: Delicious! Thank you.

Vanya: You're welcome.

Ana: Hello again! Oh, I love a good coffee! So, did you notice the useful phrases used for giving instructions? Listen to me and then repeat.

First, you have to put the coffee here.

Then you press it down with this.

I see.

Right, OK. Next, you put this here.

After that, you just press this button.

OK, that seems clear.

Is this OK?

Yes, that's right.

You're doing well.

What do I do next?

Is there anything else?

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you give instructions in English. Bye for now!

Do you need to improve your English speaking skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English speaking skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

A2 English level (pre-intermediate)

Submitted by farhadwahaj on Sat, 27/08/2022 - 07:45

To be honest, so far I did not instruct people in English. I wish to learn English at that level to instruct people correctly and precisely in English.

Submitted by Ayoub-XxBuoYaxX on Sat, 20/08/2022 - 21:55

Honestly, I've never ever gave instructions in English, but still sometimes I gave them with my native language

Submitted by jade0 on Tue, 19/07/2022 - 08:57

I never give instructions in English but I hope do it one day :(

Submitted by huahua on Tue, 19/07/2022 - 05:31

I have never given instructions in English. If I get the chance, I would like to do it.

Submitted by redragons0 on Fri, 27/05/2022 - 12:23

One day, I gave instruction to a foreigner in Istanbul.I guided her how to reach Sirkeci district while using public transport.

Submitted by amarigh_mustapha on Thu, 12/05/2022 - 09:21

I never gave instructions in English, but I wish to do to help others, for this, I work hard to learn English.

Submitted by Kamelbenslimane on Tue, 05/04/2022 - 12:03

The last time I give instructions is during my work. As product manager, I always review tasks for my teams. Firstly I write instructions for the modification, and after I will say it.

Submitted by jyoti Chaudhary on Fri, 28/01/2022 - 12:59

During my job, I'm always instructions with my clients. But it is very difficult to communicate because I'm not good at the English language.in order to do that I need to work very hard and get better results. I'm trying to work on it.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Mon, 29/11/2021 - 11:21

I never give instructions in English to anyone. I'm learning English to do this. I love English language. I worked hard to learn this.

Submitted by John Nguyen on Fri, 26/11/2021 - 03:33

I have never given instructions in English

Submitted by ANOUAR on Fri, 12/11/2021 - 11:36

I have never given instructions in English, but I wish so.

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Wed, 13/10/2021 - 17:44

oh! i think i have never given instructions in english before

Submitted by Giuliana on Fri, 21/05/2021 - 01:46

I'm sorry but i never give instructions in english and i never did, but i hope one day i will do Honestly i really would like give instructions in english but at moment i dont have fluent enough and i think i will learn more but right now is not a good moment.

Submitted by JOSE GUIA on Thu, 20/05/2021 - 05:06

Hello, the last time I give instructions in English to someone, was long time ago. It was in a Project, and I have to explain to technicians how to operate a machine that we have installed.

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Sun, 21/03/2021 - 03:31

Hi BC, I have a problem with videos in speaking part. Here is Connection Error. Could you help me? Have somebody the same problem?

Hi MikhailZatopliaev,

I've just checked the video and it's working fine for me, so it may have been a temporary problem. Did you find the problem with only this video, or other videos too? Perhaps you can try using a different web browser or device to check if the video plays there. Please let us know again if the problem continues.

Jonathan

Submitted by lean on Sun, 07/03/2021 - 09:14

Hello I have one question Why was it wrong, when I put Ok or ok in the gap in item 3 in Task 3 ? That is correct when I only write OK ?
Profile picture for user Kirk

Submitted by Kirk on Sun, 07/03/2021 - 13:46

In reply to by lean

Hello lean,

On this page, we have followed the spelling that the Cambridge Dictionary has for 'OK'. It's also possible to write 'ok', but 'Ok' would be strange since it's not at the beginning of the sentence.

Submitted by PARIMALA MADIAZHAKAN on Thu, 04/03/2021 - 13:34

This week I gave instruction to my group mates about upcoming Workshop. I gave them instruction via google meet.

Submitted by Brenda Patrici… on Thu, 25/02/2021 - 14:36

Two weeks ago, I gave some instructions to my father, I showed him how to use the printer.

Submitted by PALLAVRPATIL202 on Fri, 12/02/2021 - 11:57

One more good communication video. Step by step, with very general vocabulary shown how to have effective communication. I can surely able to use this while conversing with my daughter while teaching and guiding for craft. Thank you.

Submitted by Sara Kalafat on Fri, 05/02/2021 - 17:49

when i worked as an interpreter, i gave a lot of instructions for foreign tourists about how to use the treatment products of dead sea

Submitted by kaveh on Sat, 30/01/2021 - 23:24

Hi, I give instructions to patients every day about how they should take their pills.

Submitted by tenedos on Sat, 30/01/2021 - 14:20

I think it is easy to give instructions in English.

Submitted by Leila77 on Sat, 30/01/2021 - 08:32

Unfortunately, I have never given instructions in English.

Submitted by German on Thu, 14/01/2021 - 00:08

The last time I gave instructions was in a english course to do an exercise.

Submitted by erkosman on Mon, 11/01/2021 - 18:20

CORRECTION; Yesterday, a tourist asked me how is cooking about eggplant dish in the market. I told him a instruction as recipe. But he didn't like my recipe. so he didn't buy my eggplants. End of day I had been got much unsold eggplant on my hand. I eaten uncooked eggplants that unsold at dinner because of haven't got enough money for cooking .

Submitted by erkosman on Sun, 10/01/2021 - 18:32

Yesterday, a tourist asked me cooking about eggplant dish in the market. I gave him a instruction as recipe. But he don't like it. And didn't buy my eggplants. End of day I have got much more eggplant on my hand. However I haven't got enough money for cooking . I eat uncooked eggplants at dinner.
Profile picture for user Khin Yee Mon Khaing

Submitted by Khin Yee Mon Khaing on Wed, 23/12/2020 - 05:47

It was yesterday.

Submitted by gokmikail38 on Wed, 16/12/2020 - 20:17

actually, earlier! ı never gave instructıon but ı can gıve instructıon now. are you would if you want

Submitted by SarahNadia on Tue, 08/12/2020 - 16:04

I never give instruction in english. But, in now I must try it

Submitted by Zeee on Thu, 03/12/2020 - 10:10

Hi, Is there anyone for conversation?

Submitted by Puselia on Sun, 06/12/2020 - 23:01

In reply to by Zeee

Lets do this!

Submitted by NOURHAN93 on Mon, 23/11/2020 - 00:14

Actually I never do it that in English, but I had tried it in português (it consider it like foreign language for me)

Submitted by phyuhan on Sat, 21/11/2020 - 08:31

How can I access the video of speaking

Hello phyuhan,

The video is working for me at the moment. If you can't see it, I would suggest you try using a different web browser or, if possible, a different device. You could also try updating the browser you are using.

If none of this works, please let us know what version your web browser is.

Submitted by Carlos Cabrera on Wed, 18/11/2020 - 04:18

I never give instructions in English. But, I like to do that.

Submitted by Sana Omar on Tue, 17/11/2020 - 09:25

Unfortunately, I don't give instruction in English. but I do that always in my language.

Submitted by O'Prata on Thu, 05/11/2020 - 07:36

Well, I don't have a coffee machine, so I just use a coffee pot.

Submitted by June Pann Phyu on Fri, 23/10/2020 - 20:08

I don't remember giving instruction in English.

Submitted by alexiaimogen on Fri, 23/10/2020 - 06:56

I think it's about 6 days ago there was an English group discussion. As a moderator, I give them the instruction and the rules about the event.

Submitted by Ye Min Oo on Wed, 21/10/2020 - 13:23

I gave instructions to my friend yesterday. He wanted to join one online course developed by British Council. I said like the followinfs. First, you have to switch your internet on. Then, you click on Browser icon. Next, you type the website on search bar.Finally, you can join any course from the world experts.

Submitted by Nway on Thu, 15/10/2020 - 05:43

I gave instruction to someone and i said that like that and like that......hehehe now i knew how to give instruction to someone. You have to put the correct amount of coffee here and then you just press it with this. You fit it with machine and just press the button. After that you will get a delicious coffee. Thanks.

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Wed, 14/10/2020 - 15:49

I always give the instruction to my pupils in my classroom. The last time I give the instruction is this morning when we are teaching online class because class teacher connection is not good and she goes offline.

Submitted by habibao.medo on Sat, 10/10/2020 - 09:08

i don't remember giving instruction in english at my life maybe because i live in middle east :)

Submitted by Pola on Wed, 07/10/2020 - 19:09

It's lately gave to me some instructions from British council , it was at that time the diagnostic speaking test by IELTS counselor, next she's tested me for all things in the English language, then I finished the exam, after that in the ending of speaking test she's told me for about my score and assessment.

Submitted by Shiv on Wed, 07/10/2020 - 18:14

I am new here and i have started to learn English from your website learnenglish.britishcouncil. it is really very nice cool people in video. I am very thankful to your team.who are putting their efforts.thank you so much