Meeting other students

Listen to a group of new students meeting for the first time to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Teacher: So, now you've got the important information, it's time to meet each other. Everyone turn to the people next to you and introduce yourselves.

Cara: So, hi. I'm Cara. And you are?

Robert: Robert.

Selim: Selim.

Cara: Nice to meet you!

Robert and Selim: You too.

Robert: Nice accent. Where are you from?

Cara: I'm from Glasgow.

Robert: Oh, really? My mum's from near Glasgow, so I'm half Scottish.

Cara: Cool. Do you live in Scotland?

Robert: No, we live in England, near Manchester. My dad's from there. What about you, Selim?

Selim: I'm from Leeds originally but I grew up near London.

Cara: Are you both doing history on its own?

Selim: No. I'm doing history and German.

Robert: I'm doing it with maths, actually.

Selim: History and maths. That's different!

Robert: Yeah, I couldn't decide between arts and sciences. Maths doesn't help with remembering dates, though! And you?

Cara: I'm doing history and French.

Selim: I wanted to do French but German was easier, so I took that.

Cara: German is so hard!

Submitted by Fatemeh.Najafzadeh on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 01:21

I highly interested to design and as well I like to improve my English skills, so I like to study English and art regarding design.

Submitted by Bignon on Sun, 03/05/2020 - 19:07

I like stutying biology, and know I enjoy learning English too

Submitted by cittàutopica on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 18:12

I like to study philosophy and history, but I fond of foreign languages, therefore I studied French and now I'm studying English and German.

Submitted by DANIELAE on Fri, 01/05/2020 - 01:22

I would like to study french and International law

Submitted by Pam-Pam on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 16:47

I like studying math and physics, for hobby i learn about programming languange and now i'm still newbie.

Submitted by Dita Shafira M… on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 08:02

I'm from Indonesia, but I like to learn English. It is easy to learn. I think my english skill is pretty good now and I am gonna make it perfect through studying in English education departement of IAIN Salatiga.

Submitted by Youssef Karfouh on Tue, 28/04/2020 - 13:54

as a programmer i like to learn new programming languages .

Submitted by miroslaw_kaw on Sun, 26/04/2020 - 01:40

I like studying Maths and English :)

Submitted by Emirito on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 18:37

I like to study History, Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Biochemistry, Physics

Submitted by Ronake on Sat, 18/04/2020 - 21:50

I would like to study computer sciences and maths.

Submitted by Aisha Mohammed… on Fri, 17/04/2020 - 23:00

hello englishlearner team what's mean your comment is awaiting moderation.

Hello Aisha Mohammed mahjoub,

All commments are checked by our team before they are published on the site. This is what moderation means. It means we can delete spam comments, advertising and so on and ensure that all the comments we publish are from real learners.

Submitted by Aisha Mohammed… on Fri, 17/04/2020 - 22:50

I like to study math , programming language and Arabic

Submitted by garides on Fri, 17/04/2020 - 22:01

i'm from brazil in rio.i decide to bussines department in universty.i'am gonna learn economics and i want improve my english skills so i'm studying here.

Submitted by nguyenthihoanb0510 on Wed, 15/04/2020 - 13:36

i prefer learning Maths and English. i have studied English for tourism and hotel so i have to speak English fluently to communicate a lot of people in the world.

Submitted by SHELJA on Sun, 12/04/2020 - 14:22

Well, I like to study Business and Economics. As, I've natural interest in reading books on achievements, market and business news, listening great minds on TED and, etc.

Hello Hosam Mohamed,

There is nobody called Peter in this recording! The only man in the recording is Robert, who has a fairly typical accent from the north-west of England. This is the region around Lancashire, Cheshire and Greater Manchester. Manchester is the largest city.

Submitted by Minerva on Fri, 10/04/2020 - 02:34

I would like to lear Mexican sign language, this is the way that we can be in communications with people whom are defeat, or cannot talk, the first is to learn the abc... and then to be or to have ability with hands

Submitted by Djoo on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 09:09

I would like to stady maths, It's my favorite subjects, its great.

Submitted by Aya Sayed on Sun, 05/04/2020 - 21:57

I would like to learn English and psychology department.

Submitted by zabiullah on Sun, 05/04/2020 - 14:56

I am zabi from afghanistan, i studied economic at local university now i am working in private banks. recently i had exame to get scholership from india university fortunitely i passed the exam...i am still waiting to come my visa from india...

Submitted by abeer on Sat, 04/04/2020 - 10:58

hi learnenglish team .i have a proplem with som task here .especially that Requiring to choose more than one choies .i dont know if that proplem was from my computer or from websit so plz fix it

Hello abeer

It looks to me as if the task is working correctly -- let me explain how to make it work.

When you want to add another sentence to a box, you have to click or press on the small white hand at the side of the word already in the box. If you don't do this, then the new world will stay but the old word will disappear from the box.

It's a little difficult to explain, so please let me know if you'd like me to explain it again.

All the best

Submitted by Lê Đình Khiêm on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 15:50

I like study programming and math. I want to learn english because it's not good.

Submitted by Silambarasan on Fri, 03/04/2020 - 10:52

I prefer subjects related to numbers to calculate, for example: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, etc.

Submitted by Yuzana on Tue, 31/03/2020 - 06:59

I would like to study economics and English. I studied economics from 2009 to 2019 and still learning English which is a global language to communicate with other people.

Submitted by ValentinaLescano. on Mon, 30/03/2020 - 21:13

I would like to learn to speak English fluently and learn other languages such as French, Korean and Portuguese. Best wishes

Hello Valentina

I've translated your message into English because our House rules ask everyone to write in English so that everyone can understand the comments. It would be great practice for you to write in English and I would encourage you to try. Don't worry if it's not perfect!

We hope to hear from you again!

All the best

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Mon, 30/03/2020 - 17:35

I would like to study Finance.

Submitted by Andrew Brown on Sun, 29/03/2020 - 18:24

Currently I study Banking and Finance but I like to study about stocks.

Submitted by Yaninapanozo on Sat, 28/03/2020 - 23:37

I like study math and science

Submitted by babul chandra shil on Fri, 27/03/2020 - 03:35

i would like to study fashion designing and English. i our county people use different type of clothing in according to age. some indigenous have their own cultural dress. English is international language. it give me opportunity to present my work to the world.

Submitted by Nane on Thu, 26/03/2020 - 22:33

Hi! I like to study english and sciences, specifically human behavioral sciences (Psychology). Regards, AM

Submitted by HMida on Mon, 23/03/2020 - 12:04

I like study history. This courses is very interesting. It allows to have a knowledge for the humanity evolution, wears and civilisations.

Submitted by Antonyu19 on Sun, 22/03/2020 - 02:16

I'd like to be a fluent english speaker. So I going to study the language.

Submitted by jason2295 on Thu, 05/03/2020 - 01:12

Hi, I like to study French and English. But when I was in School I love the maths.

Submitted by Eswar on Sat, 22/02/2020 - 06:33

Can anyone explain In preparation Task Why Arts sections comes under French, german and history?

Hello Eswar

In many universities, departments are grouped into larger groups such as 'Arts' and 'Sciences'. 'Arts' includes many subjects besides the visual arts, such as, for example, languages. You can read a bit more about this in the Wikipedia if you're curious.

All the best

Submitted by IMEN ABBES on Thu, 20/02/2020 - 16:43

I like sciences subjects; but actually I need to improve my english for my professional career.

Submitted by Khin Nyein Chan on Thu, 20/02/2020 - 15:22

I like to study Maths and English.

Submitted by s4lemm on Tue, 18/02/2020 - 17:03

I love to study english, spanish and laws.

Submitted by siciidgaagaale on Wed, 12/02/2020 - 18:12

there are many stages in education system ,primary ,secondary and university . now i am in secondry i have got 10 subject .to be honest i like almost all of them ,buth there are some subject that i find difficult to gain good markes if try to do so i have to do more and more effort.

Submitted by Vidyasagar on Wed, 12/02/2020 - 14:07

I like to study English, Geography and Ethics.

Submitted by Hilma on Tue, 11/02/2020 - 11:23

Hi My mother tongue is frenchband i'am a german teacher. I find all langages interesting. It is really Amazing when i Can communicate with Persons from different countries

Submitted by Lilian Justiniano on Sat, 25/01/2020 - 20:56

Hi, I like to study maths and English because it's very important for my professional life.

Submitted by MaryaSun on Thu, 16/01/2020 - 16:18

Hi, i like to study geography and art. I am a Scenographer and i like a lot theatre's world, so.I like to study and discover all that concern theatre, e.g. scenography, lights, the gestures of actors, theatre's make up, the direction but also the story of theatres and their sculptures.

Submitted by ofti on Tue, 07/01/2020 - 22:20

Hello, i want to speak english fluently

Submitted by shahhoseini on Mon, 23/12/2019 - 13:22

I studied engineering. I decide to study and learn English. I want to speak English fluently.