A phone call from a customer

Listen to the phone call from a customer to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Junko: Hello, Junko Mori speaking. How can I help you?

Andrea: Hi, Junko, it's Andrea here from Red Band. I'm calling about our latest order.

Junko: Everything arrived OK, right? We got the delivery confirmation at our end.

Andrea: Yes, everything's fine with the order. I'm calling about the invoice and the payment terms. I need a favour.

Junko: A favour? What do you need?

Andrea: This is a little, er ... difficult, but I need an extension on the payment terms. I know they're usually 30 days, but we're having some cash flow problems. You'd really be helping us out if you could extend it to 60 days.

Junko: I'm not sure if I can do that, Andrea. We've got regulations at our end, and also have to manage our own cash flow.

Andrea: I promise this won't become the norm, Junko. Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time. It's for an important customer and they pay on delivery.

Junko: I see. So your cash flow problem will be solved after this new order is delivered.

Andrea: Exactly.

Junko: That sounds good. Hold on, Andrea. Let me see what I can do. Yes, I think we can make an exception this time.

Andrea: That's great, Junko. I appreciate your help.

Junko: And we appreciate your business, Andrea. It works both ways.

Andrea: Thanks again, Junko. Can you send me a quick email confirmation of the payment terms extension?

Junko: Sure, no problem. We're happy to help you.

Andrea: Great. And I'll email you the new order.

Junko: Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it. Talk to you soon.

Andrea: You too. Goodbye.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by Ari on Tue, 02/03/2021 - 19:44

Of cource, I do. To my mimd this is the basis of the client's trust in the company. When you make an exception for a person who really needs it, he trusts you and may even recommend you to other people. But we can only make an exception once to preserve the prestige of the company and not put it at risk of economic collapse.

Submitted by fariba on Tue, 02/03/2021 - 09:44

no i never do favor for customers.

Submitted by Leila77 on Tue, 02/03/2021 - 09:21

Hi, Please, could you explain me the meaning of "at our end"? Junko said: "We've got regulations at our end." I'm not sure if my understanding is right.
Profile picture for user Peter M.

Submitted by Peter M. on Wed, 03/03/2021 - 08:41

In reply to by Leila77

Hi Leila77,

The phrase 'at our end' means 'in our company' or 'in our country'.

Submitted by Naza on Mon, 22/02/2021 - 20:20

Yes I do. I feel good when I can help my customers.

Submitted by Santes on Sun, 21/02/2021 - 10:59

It is a win win situation for both buyer and seller.

Submitted by voytkovv on Sat, 20/02/2021 - 21:05

Yes, it's important to make exceptions for clients. It shows that you focus not only on profit and you build long-term business

Submitted by Carlos Rodriguez on Sat, 20/02/2021 - 13:49

Yes!. I did a help to one customer, about his facility design and he really appreciated all the advice that I gave to him. It was added value for him.

Submitted by CristianPenaBravo on Mon, 15/02/2021 - 10:18

Yes, I do. It's the way how to do business up today, we need partners that help us to increase the volume of business. The exception or flexibility of course is always possible with the important customers that we know we can continue working together and helping each other.

Submitted by PALLAVRPATIL202 on Fri, 12/02/2021 - 11:17

This communication taught how to deal in professional way to get the favour from the supplier. Way of conveyancing, help to get good words. Good for business communication. Thank you.

Submitted by German on Tue, 09/02/2021 - 02:10

I have made exceptions to importan customers. I had to allow that the customers have a extension in the payment of the service.

Submitted by Gostlady on Mon, 08/02/2021 - 21:17

Yes, I think it´s important to be flexible with clients, specially with those who are important and represent incomes for the company.

Submitted by Cesar Silva Gajardo on Sat, 06/02/2021 - 05:48

Yes, i do. It's very important to make exceptions to keep the bussines healty.

Submitted by concha62 on Wed, 03/02/2021 - 18:15

Yes I do. Sometimes I put a botle of Cava into the room or some chocolates.

Submitted by Alessandro893 on Tue, 02/02/2021 - 23:51

I do Favour and make exceptions only for Important Clients.

Submitted by Marcio Oliveira on Sat, 30/01/2021 - 13:22

If customers ask for it and if i can help no have problem to do that.

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Thu, 28/01/2021 - 23:15

I think in the business World every client is very important, no I have not made any exceptions for a client because I am not a businessman.

Submitted by Andres Ibarra on Wed, 27/01/2021 - 17:59

I think that we need to take decissions about support customer because we do every day exception in each business, every company has terms and rules but the less percent of our situations or decisions has as least one exception.

Submitted by Dmytro on Wed, 27/01/2021 - 09:56

Actually, I'm a customer, and sometimes I need to ask for a favor. I believe nowadays any business has problems sometimes. I find asking for a favor normal. In my humble opinion, everything depends on how competitive a business environment is. The more competition the more favors and exceptions. On the other side, the less competition the fewer favors, and as a result, higher prices, worse services.

Submitted by Bodo kh on Sun, 24/01/2021 - 22:24

I'll do favours for clients who need ,but rules are important in business

Submitted by Badolhima on Fri, 22/01/2021 - 22:13

For important clients sure I usually do.

Submitted by Htet Su Naing on Thu, 21/01/2021 - 06:21

I'll selling products from china on Facebook page. A customer asked the items that I didn't post on my page. At that time, I had to search for her. Another one asked me to deliver her order at the gate that she can go. If I can, I did but sometimes it's not okay. Next one asked to extend delivery date for 5 days as he's on a trip. So I delivered his order on the day he requested.

Submitted by ceryan41 on Tue, 19/01/2021 - 09:18

During that conversation that idom is very interesting :" I'll keep an eye out for it"; you observe them carefully to make sure that they are progressing as you want

Submitted by cittàutopica on Fri, 15/01/2021 - 12:33

I think the question particularly concerns the relationships among the private companies. In the public sphere there's a different situation, because, in this domain, other rules are effective and these doesn't allow a discretionary power just as we see in the video.

Submitted by Lahpai Bawk Aung on Wed, 13/01/2021 - 08:20

Sure, i will give a favor for our important customer, at least once time

Submitted by nancyvirginiare on Tue, 12/01/2021 - 19:32

Yes, if is an important customer i can make exceptions but for sure i will make follow up until he can solve his problems and come back to normal conditions business.

Submitted by Minh on Fri, 08/01/2021 - 18:06

Well, I used to make many favors for my customers, but this was a reason that we made problem. After they often postpone payment terms, and we had to face cash in my company. Rules are important thing in business, but every so often we need a flexible in work. Some of clients take advantage from you who are willing to give offer form them. Therefore, it makes a difficult decision when you want to help the same situation.

Submitted by marlio96 on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 21:19

I think if I have a business I have to take care of my clients, they are important, all of us have had problems any time and have needed help, for this reason I don't have problems making favors.

Submitted by Zhanerke on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 08:04

One of our important clients once asked to lend our product. Usually, we don't such things but decided to make an exception.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 04:08

Yes.if customer is in the list of important then I can make an exception for that time. In business customers are main role play in successful business.

Submitted by yuyu on Tue, 05/01/2021 - 09:43

Yes, I do. I want my clients to be satisfied.

Submitted by Elham Barakat on Thu, 31/12/2020 - 00:19

It is good to do a favour, but occasionally this favour you do for people don't deserve. We must accept little exception, but no more. The more exception you make, the more mess exists.

Submitted by ManahinRuby on Sun, 27/12/2020 - 22:18

I'm sure i'm would do it because the important clients are very important to a successful business.

Submitted by Thinn Thiri Myo on Wed, 23/12/2020 - 04:35

Ever do favours & make expection is not OK, I think. But I can do sometimes favours & expection,who u are.

Submitted by Galit Avni on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 12:03

I asked a supplier abroad to send the goods by air, instead of by sea, in order to help my customer.

Submitted by hackmed on Sun, 20/12/2020 - 01:10

I can do sometimes expectations or favours , because I could myself need it one day.

Submitted by MShadow on Sat, 19/12/2020 - 11:35

Yes I will. Important customer is important for a reason! So if situation allows and I can make flexible arrange to my important customer, I will do so and we are likely to be in a intimate cooperation relationship in future.

Submitted by mario7576 on Sat, 12/12/2020 - 15:15

well, i can do a favor or exemption just for one time, sometimes we should be matey ,although we have to follow our regulations .

Submitted by LUIZ ANTONIO on Sun, 06/12/2020 - 22:26

Sometimes it's difficult to know the business terms but I was successfull in the task1.

Submitted by Nick62 on Mon, 30/11/2020 - 02:42

When you are in business it can happen that you have cash flow problems, so it is important that those who provide goods and services are flexible about payments.

Submitted by Cecilio Franzoni on Fri, 27/11/2020 - 14:56

Is important to understand to our customers, some times cash flow is a issue. but our business needs a good chash flow too.

Submitted by David_Tham on Thu, 26/11/2020 - 15:25

Yes, I ever do some special payment term for special client.
Profile picture for user DJ Singh

Submitted by DJ Singh on Wed, 25/11/2020 - 07:42

I am far from business terms and tactics but sometimes I made exceptions in my daily life which is not my cup of tea but I challenge myself to do the things I have never done or difficult to do.
Profile picture for user Helena Clever

Submitted by Helena Clever on Sun, 22/11/2020 - 16:51

I'm totally an art person who doesn't understant what economy and business are. But, however, I know what the difference betweer customer and supplier after the lesson!

Submitted by foch04 on Thu, 12/11/2020 - 14:18

I have never been a business man and never had a deep commercial relationship with somebody or organisation. In the case that has been given things would depend on how high the confidence is which we carry out to our counterpart.

Submitted by Jorge Fabricio on Sat, 07/11/2020 - 16:08

Important excercises to know, How can to help a customer.

Submitted by masia on Fri, 06/11/2020 - 21:28

I think give a favour an important client it will be a good idea, because that is useful for both company.

Submitted by John A. on Tue, 27/10/2020 - 09:34

It's always good to build a relationship of trust with customers