A business interview

Listen to the business interview to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Presenter: Welcome to today's show. We're very happy to have Anna Oliveira as our guest today. Anna is the creator and founder of HomeworX – spelled with an 'x' we should note – an app which helps teenagers with their homework. Thanks for coming in, Anna.

Anna: Thanks for having me.

Presenter: So, tell us about your app. How does it work?

Anna: Well, teenagers and their parents have numerous challenges when it comes to homework these days. In many families both parents work and don't have much available time to help their kids with their homework. And even if they do have time to help, they may not be able to offer support with the content. What I mean is, they may not know, or at least remember, enough in any given subject to support.

Presenter: You mean they might not be able to remember complex maths or might have never studied certain subjects, such as biology or economics, themselves?

Anna: Exactly. So they might want to support their children with their homework, but have neither the time nor the knowledge to do so.

Presenter: I see. So the app helps solve this problem?

Anna: Yes, and more. The next issue is that tutors can be expensive, and there may be long waiting lists for specialist tutors in the town or region you live in. Our HomeworX app brings students and tutors together online. Students can search a database of pre-approved tutors and sign up for live online support. They don't need to be in the same town or city.

Presenter: That sounds really great.

Anna: It is. And this approach also enables us to offer the tutoring services at lower prices because there's no travelling time involved for the tutor to get to the student's home. And tutors who live in remote areas are happy to get access to more students, and be able to work from home, even at lower rates.

Presenter: This all sounds great. So, how did you come up with the idea?

Anna: Well, as you might guess, I was one of those parents I described earlier. I really wanted to help my son with his homework, but I was either too busy with work or I didn't actually know anything about the subjects he was having difficulty with. Also, we live in an area where there aren't many tutors and the ones that are there are either very expensive or have long waiting lists.

Presenter: Yes. I can understand your predicament. Well, it sounds like a very useful app that is clearly meeting a need. And its popularity obviously speaks for itself.

Anna: Thank you.

Presenter: So, do you have plans for the future?

Anna: We've just secured some funding and hope to expand the range of services we offer using the app.

Presenter: We wish you the best of luck. Thanks again for coming in. That was Anna Oliveira, founder of the tutoring app HomeworX (with an 'x', don't forget!), which is available for both Apple and Android devices. Join us again next week for another business interview. Have a great week, everyone.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

B2 English level (upper intermediate)

Hello Suraj paliwal,

We're so glad to hear this! Thanks for letting us know and keep up the good work!

Best wishes,

Submitted by jeison0894 on Mon, 05/04/2021 - 15:54

I used to practice and learn English with many applications such as hellotalk, duolingo or cake but I found a best learning method that fits perfectly with my tastes and methodologies and it's by watching videos on youtube.
I watch movies with subtitles in English to listen and read at the same time, but to be honest writing is the skill I have more troubles with. I guess is for the lack of practice.

Submitted by Frank Cuello on Sun, 04/04/2021 - 01:00

I have enthusiasm on learning to play the keyboard. Easy Piano is an app that has been very helpful with this desire of learning to play a musical instrument.

Submitted by RazielJose on Sun, 28/03/2021 - 02:39

I don´t know many apps to learn by my self, but if I need to chose one I will chose Duolingo to learn about languages.

Submitted by German on Fri, 26/03/2021 - 01:24

I used to have apps on my phone for learning languages like Busuu, British Council, English Listening and others. Now actually I don´t use those apps and I prefer to learn with another ways. There are manyapps in the market but I think that each one must think and check what is it want to learn and search and choose the better option
Profile picture for user cassiamattos2013

Submitted by cassiamattos2013 on Mon, 22/03/2021 - 10:35

Well, I have some difficulty to learn on line. But I'm trying to user the LearnEnglish plataform.

Submitted by angeloptrp on Sat, 13/03/2021 - 06:19

Great idea to come up with this kind of website. It's really helpful. Thank you. Cheers!

Submitted by ABRAHAM EMMANUEL on Thu, 25/02/2021 - 21:41

I like to use "meet up" it is an great app which help you to meet people form everywhere and discuss different topics... I really recomend it to you
Profile picture for user Ulbester

Submitted by Ulbester on Wed, 24/02/2021 - 05:43

This page is helping me to improve a lot my English level thank you

Hello Ulbester,

We're very happy to hear this -- thanks very much for letting us know!

Submitted by cittàutopica on Sun, 14/02/2021 - 18:09

I like learning foreign languages; I've studied French at school, I've learnt English since some years and I'm learning German now, but I don't use any app, because I prefer grammar books and sites as learninglish.

Submitted by marlio96 on Sun, 31/01/2021 - 18:46

Currently, I am studying for taking the IELTS test, so I use the Prep IELTS app and IELTS 9 BAND to prepare myself for the exam. I like these apps but I think that there must be more apps especially free due to all these have to be paid for.

Submitted by Karen Aguilar on Mon, 25/01/2021 - 23:10

my favorite app for improving my listening skill is lyrics training, I can practice this skill but also getting new vocabulary.
Hi!, I agree, i think it's the best app to learn new vocabulary with your favorite music... and of course, you also practice listening and speaking... i love it!
Profile picture for user El Cuy Mágico

Submitted by El Cuy Mágico on Mon, 25/01/2021 - 21:18

I used to use two apps for learning English. First I used Spotify, I know its specially for listening music but I found a podcast where the host read a short story slowly, this podcast offered a text as well. Then I could read as I listened. I also used to use Anki in my phone, it helped me to remember some words.

Submitted by ceryan41 on Tue, 19/01/2021 - 10:04

Predicament is very insteresting word which means If you are in a predicament, you are in an unpleasant situation that is difficult to get out of.

Submitted by Blue Sky 2021 on Fri, 08/01/2021 - 17:35

I love any app full of useful exercises and tests, which can help to improve my bits of knowledge and skills.
Profile picture for user Zhasulan

Submitted by Zhasulan on Tue, 05/01/2021 - 15:24

Hello everyone. My favourite educational app is lecturio for medical students.Because I am a student of Medical University from Kazakhstan and I study in the Kazakh.The lecturio app there are famous of profession with a lot of experience and a lot ofthings to learn.

Submitted by Layria on Sat, 02/01/2021 - 21:03

At this moment my favourite app for learning is Busuu. I´m studying french and it is really easy to use and helps me to improve vocabulary because some colleagues from all over the world can correct your mistakes.

Submitted by sonlenfq on Sat, 02/01/2021 - 01:09

I'm a big fan of the English conversion app. It's helping me learn English everday.

Submitted by Diogo1606 on Sat, 02/01/2021 - 00:52

Well, I can say my favorite app for learning English is Duolingo. It helps you starting from the very basics 'til the most complex activities. Every activity you complete grant you some xp, that puts you in a rank with another students, so it's almost like a game. The app still has short stories for you to train your listening.

Submitted by Saad786 on Fri, 01/01/2021 - 12:44

My favorite app or website for learning is ilmkidunya , it is very helpful for me. I can understand all my subjects on it. The teachers give understandable lectures which not only makes us memories our topic but also improves our human intellect.

Submitted by Saad786 on Wed, 30/12/2020 - 15:44

The most successful app or website I founded for learning English is British council. I am really improving my English.
Profile picture for user simonenmourao

Submitted by simonenmourao on Tue, 22/12/2020 - 20:29

Good afternoon! At this phrase: "So the app helps solve this problem?", grammatically, there should be "to" between the verbs "help" and "solve" or the second verb to be in the Present Continuous?

Hello simonenmourao,

'Help' can be followed with the infinitive with or without 'to':

help someone do something

help someone to do something

Thus, both options are possible. However, I don't think we would use a participle ('solving') here.

Submitted by lavande1983 on Sun, 20/12/2020 - 21:14

Now, I don't use any apps for learning english, beaucause i dont feel comfortable with small screen of iphone. I prefer learning english with computer so my favorite website is british coucil learning english. Big avantage of learning english on smart phone is that you can learn english every where in your spare time, in public transport. now for learning english i try to watch TV, english movies and use bbc learning english or bristish coucil learning english website, i use only my smartphone for dictionary . I read your comments, Thanks for your suggestions of some useful apps , perhaps , i will use them

Submitted by Muna77 on Fri, 11/12/2020 - 20:57

Hi, As general l think English class101.com And British Council is most effective apps for learning English
Profile picture for user nanolakes

Submitted by nanolakes on Sun, 06/12/2020 - 20:52

Hi everyone!!! I hope you are well. There are lots of apps but the one I like it is Word Power IELTS. I recommend this app.

Submitted by Asni on Thu, 19/11/2020 - 21:58

I've got installed some useful apps for learning English on my phone and tablet. Apps for learning English idioms, phrasal verbs, short stories in English, vocabulary, etc...I find them very practical and useful because I have my phone wherever I go. When I'm in the car, especially, for trips that last more than one hour, they are my way of entertainment. I must confess that I don't have the good habit of reading books, so in such situations, I just open some app and start learning some new words or expressions, which, I think, is a great way to avoid wasting time or getting bored.

Submitted by iamloïs on Tue, 17/11/2020 - 08:48

My favourite app to learn new things is Quizlet. Indeed, this app permits us to memorise new things thanks to flashcards: on the one side, you put a french word for instance, and on the other one, behind, you put its translation to English. It is very practical because you can revise what you learnt everywhere and when you want, and for me, I do it in the subway !

Submitted by nialataria on Mon, 16/11/2020 - 08:59

Maybe some apps connected with learning English.
Profile picture for user javibuendi

Submitted by javibuendi on Fri, 06/11/2020 - 10:02

I think this is not an app but a website, but still I choose LearnEnglish as the tool that is helping me to learn English the most. I find the Listening section very useful. Its listenings have an accuracy vocabulary and speech for each level, and especially the first task helps you to realise if you actually understood the listening. From here I want to thank all your magnificent work. Cheers from Madrid.

Hello Javi,

Thank very much for your feedback. It's always nice to know that our users find our website useful, and it's also very helpful to know what people like so that we can continuously improve.

Submitted by vsanchez75 on Sat, 24/10/2020 - 14:25

I used many apps to learn and practice English, some of them are british and others americans, Let me share some of them Duolingo All ears english Cake ABA BBC Learning english Sounter Rosetta Stone Quiz your English Maybe The problem is when you dominated the app, it could be boring

Submitted by Ugulhan on Tue, 20/10/2020 - 09:19

I would like to say as a learning app I have been using a wide range of Language platforms like the British council, Futurelearn, and Engvig. I think they have been offering numerous English lessons with tasks. You can come up with an idea of doing tasks on the platform, and solve your problem in English. Students can meet their needs there in the field of English. Platforms can speak for itself in each task, and you readjust the task. I think we should secure the lesson's own desktop of computers for accessing all of the time. Overall, these platforms will offer a range of services.

Submitted by Sulagna Das on Sun, 18/10/2020 - 17:55

The app I am using right now for learning English and improving grammar is British Council Grammar. This not only makes our grammatical skills strong but helps in improving the concept of sentence construction.

Submitted by habibao.medo on Sat, 17/10/2020 - 08:43

actually i don't have something like favorite app or any thing else i don't even have space on my phone :)

Submitted by VeraN on Mon, 12/10/2020 - 14:46

I do not have a particular app for English language although I read a lot of local and international newspapers. For sometime, I have been using the YouTube to learn from good English scholars. I won't forget to mention the use of this website "learn and watch series" which has indeed been helpful.

Submitted by l.jiang. on Sat, 10/10/2020 - 03:05

Recently, I usually use an app that called Duolingo, I think it is my favorite tool of study within five years. You can find each area about english to learn and same as exam, it also has limitation when you test. The Duolingo help me to improve my reading and listening and writing, I will use it for a long time.

Submitted by Lilly098 on Thu, 08/10/2020 - 05:14

My favourite app for leaning is Duolingo. Because it is easy task to do daily and very clear to see your progress. This is the best app for those who are looking for studying new languages in their own spare time. It is addictive in a good way. In fact, it has been 5 years since I started.

Submitted by Cami on Fri, 02/10/2020 - 11:57

My favourite app for learning is BBC Learning English. Trough it anyone can hear a lot of interesting contents improving his hearing's skill. I suggest anyone wants to improve his hearing's skill to use it. It is also free.
Profile picture for user danisep

Submitted by danisep on Tue, 29/09/2020 - 19:11

I used to use apps to learn english, when I started I used duolingo but after a long period of time it becomes a lot repetitive and I tried to find something more difficult, and I found learnenglish website, this page is really good but is a little difficult to me study grammar here, I think that the best way to improve your grammar is doing a lot exercises and in the section grammar there is two or three tasks that is few to me, to study vocabulary I'm using anki, creating my own word cards.

Submitted by senes19 on Sun, 27/09/2020 - 18:33

Frankly I have to say I didn't use any app in my Englisch learning process. I use only British Council. I don't think these apps aren't useful for the learning but most of them enlarges your wort treasure und your listening skills. When I come up with speaking, best solution is to create a contact with people who are speaking English. It is best way to contact to join different organizations which are not bored. You should attend like these organizations that you will improve your speaking talents. If we return again apps, I believe their contribution of your language skills are quite limited.

Submitted by katyatorres on Tue, 22/09/2020 - 19:54

I have some resources that are my favorites. For instance I use an English app called Cake, It's a really good and useful app for learning new vocabulary. Also I use Coursera and ABA English which are perfect for improving your english skills, and learn something new about any topic.

Submitted by wirzan on Mon, 21/09/2020 - 07:17

for me, I usually use youtube for learning English specially listening section, watching movies, and practice by own self. and I think this app so supportable for who wanna learn English every where.