The first English class

Listen to a teacher give students information about a new course to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Hello, everyone. Hello! It's nice to see you all here. Welcome to British Life and Language. I am your teacher. My name is Lindsay Black. That's L-I-N-D-S-A-Y Black. Before we begin, some information about the class.

Our class is in room 13, on the first floor. When you go upstairs, turn left to find the room. Again, that's room 13.

We have class twice a week, on Monday and Wednesday. Our class begins at 4.30 p.m. and lasts 90 minutes, so we finish at 6 p.m. That's 4.30 to 6. Please arrive on time, OK?

Also, I have an office hour if you have questions. I'm in office 7B on the second floor. My office hour is Friday at 6 p.m. So, if you have any questions or problems or want to talk to me, it's Friday at 6 p.m. in office 7B.

We begin next week, on March the 13th. That's Monday, March the 13th. The course ends on May the 20th. May the 20th is the last day.

I think that's all ... Oh, one more thing. For this course you need the book. Here it is: British Life and Language Level 1 Student's Book. So, please get a copy of the book. I don't want to see any photocopies of the book, thank you! Remember, it's level 1 student's book. Don't buy the teacher's book.

I think that's all, everyone. I look forward to working with you. See you next Monday!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

A1 English level (elementary)

Submitted by senaguner on Mon, 01/02/2021 - 02:06

I have online English class three times a week. Also I am studying from your site. It is very useful for me. I like to study with your site. I learn new things everyday. Thanks a lot .

Submitted by mostafa99 on Sun, 31/01/2021 - 06:40

No, I don't. I just learn English on my own from this wonderful site. Thanks a lot, British council

Submitted by kautsar on Sat, 30/01/2021 - 14:06

yes, i do. it's about 2km away from my house.

Submitted by Leila77 on Fri, 29/01/2021 - 10:31

For the moment, I don't have any English class, but I had an English class three years ago. It was on Saturdays at th British Council in Algiers.

Submitted by May Sabai Phyu on Mon, 25/01/2021 - 05:29

I have an English pronunciation class on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and English reading class on Friday. Both of them are online classes.

Submitted by German on Fri, 22/01/2021 - 01:06

Yes, I do. I have English class they´re but are online currenly.

Submitted by Victor Hugo Fl… on Fri, 15/01/2021 - 02:46

if I have two weekly classes, Monday and Wednesday, online

Submitted by Ngu Wah on Sun, 03/01/2021 - 13:53

I don't have any English Class. But, now I am learning with online. I am studying one hour a day.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Wed, 30/12/2020 - 08:06

Yes, everyday I have a English class with you. If I talk to my class in past then my last offline class is three years ago when I study intermediate. It was morning class at 6.00am. My English teacher is very funny I remember that he was very interesting and helpful teacher.

Submitted by glen on Sun, 20/12/2020 - 21:33

No, not at the moment though I am trying to find an online English school that offers study in British English course. Hopefully, I could find and get to register very soon.

Submitted by Tatiana barrera on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 17:31

Yes, I have an English class. Is on Thursdays and Tuesdays, the class begin is a quarter to sevent to half past nine, the class is in my home because it is virtual.

Submitted by pabloxje on Wed, 09/12/2020 - 03:26

I'm not studying English in an academic in my country, I need to learn English so I can obtain IELS level 7 minimum. Now I'm learning English here with you.

Submitted by fofanaML on Sun, 06/12/2020 - 18:54

I'm trying to study english on my own on own and i'm sure, i'm on the right track.

Submitted by Sridhar reddy on Fri, 04/12/2020 - 23:23

I can't believe there's so much content to study on britishcouncil, this is the best. I'm wondering if you guys update the content once in a while.

Hello Sridhar reddy,

Yes, there is quite a lot of content, isn't there?  The site is always growing, however, as we add new material regularly.

Submitted by m.someah on Tue, 01/12/2020 - 16:26

I have decided to migrate to another country. Consequently, it is necessary to know english to deal with this decision. So, I am attending to english class every weekend in order to improve my english knowledge. Because of covid-19 the class is held online by meeting applications.

Submitted by Sergio1994 on Sun, 29/11/2020 - 16:41

Two years ago I studied at the English academy, but I stayed at basic level 9. In this COVID crisis I will take advantage of studying English for two hours a day, this helps me in job interviews in other countries.

Submitted by hasan.kumek on Sat, 28/11/2020 - 16:45

Yes, I have an english class in my university and we take online educetion now. It's every weekday from 9 a.m. to 12.35 p.m. After the lesson we have homeworks and studies. This mondey I will begin the second module in our five module I am excited for this and I hope this will become great 7 weekly module for me and my English.

Submitted by GiuseppeT on Wed, 25/11/2020 - 10:15

I'm just trying to study English by myself, on its own. let's hope!!!

Submitted by Ekozmona on Wed, 18/11/2020 - 19:33

I don't have an English Class right now. I am just doing self study during this crisis.

Submitted by Pedro Javier on Tue, 10/11/2020 - 15:40

I had an English class in high school and university, I had two hour classes twice a week, then I started studying on my own at least one hour a day and now with the pandemic I am studying two hours a day, all online.

Submitted by Khin Khin Htet on Sun, 08/11/2020 - 08:25

I had an English Class at previous last one year in Tamwe Township . This class taught once a week on Sunday , two hours in a days . I don't remember the class time exactly . Now, I am studying online English Lessons from Websites . I can't go anywhere because of Covid-19 . Also the English classes don't open . It opens only online classes . So , I spent my time for online learning.

Submitted by Samqaid on Sat, 17/10/2020 - 21:42

Yes of course, I have an English course online through British learning. I really love English so much . It is very interesting. My life is very bad without English .absolutely Im planning to study a high study in UK so that's my dream. .you can't imagine how is an English for me.. I always thought of it .

Submitted by Ugulhan on Thu, 15/10/2020 - 07:30

I have got different English classes in the home country, then later when I came to Europa also I took part in B1 and B2 levels of English. At the moment, I do independently exercises in English, I lead my lessons on different platforms. I hope it is useful and I see also that my English skills have been gradually increasing through a wide range of lessons.

Submitted by DEICY on Mon, 12/10/2020 - 19:31

Yes, I have English Class. I was studying in a Australian's colleges, but for the covid-19 this one closed and I came back my country, right now I'm studying on-line every morning, and improve with British council Skills, it is actually the best option.

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Sat, 10/10/2020 - 16:43

Yeah, I have English class. This is learnenglish.britishcouncil.org. It is online learning but I can get many knowledge to improve my english skill from this website. Thank you very much everyone in this website.

Submitted by fais_4al on Wed, 07/10/2020 - 12:15

Definitely , i do have English class and I try my best to improve my skills through this wonderful site its really helpful you could study and test your self multiple times .and today is my first day Thank you British Council for this self improvement site .

Submitted by Maria19 on Tue, 06/10/2020 - 21:20

Yes, my last class in English was when I was a student. That was a few years ago.

Submitted by Kishen on Mon, 28/09/2020 - 08:41

Yes,I have English class on British Council by self-studying on online.That class is very useful for everyone who cannot effort money and time.The time is also depend on ourself so we can study everytime when we want.Thank you British Council.

Submitted by Pola on Fri, 25/09/2020 - 16:34

Yes, I do I have an English class but free course is self paced by British council, it's really great course I advise for everyone have been searching for English courses that's will be great for you, and I'm doing this course in month ago.

Submitted by aangie pardave on Tue, 15/09/2020 - 01:34

Good evening, I only take English classes at the university and this course is very interesting, I would like to take more complete classes to be able to speak English well, little by little I will learn.
Profile picture for user shelly

Submitted by shelly on Wed, 09/09/2020 - 02:46

I take English class on-line through an English studying App. I need to study English by myself through this App at least 5 days a week. At the same time, I take live streaming class through social media App for some explanation of my questions from my on-line teacher, also my teacher teaches us some English grammar and pronunciation in this live streaming class.

Submitted by Lysa on Fri, 04/09/2020 - 11:37

For the present moment I don't have English classe, but I am trying to learn online through your website wen I can to incease my English level and develop my knowledges.

Submitted by Faheem Khan on Mon, 31/08/2020 - 03:57

no i havent join english class yet but i try to learn itself. so i prepare my time table at home. i study english at 7 to 9 Am. i study english at home by itself.

Submitted by Thao mee on Sat, 29/08/2020 - 05:31

Definitely i started studying to speak English since June. I had learn how to pronounce each exactly word i Youtube. I wanna improve my English better. I'm lack of four skill in english. Every day i gain a little bit , i think after a year i can change much.

Submitted by camiladmelo on Sun, 16/08/2020 - 18:55

At this moment, I don't have, but I'm searching a personal english teacher to give me classes three times a week: on Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Submitted by MARIANO_HB on Wed, 12/08/2020 - 01:23

Yes, I have classes online once a week, usually on Mondays and Wednsdays

Submitted by tori on Tue, 11/08/2020 - 17:08

I study every day. My lessons are live, because Corona is in the world. I like my online study, my class is small, than it was 5 months age

Submitted by Aung Wai Phyo on Mon, 03/08/2020 - 15:29

I don't have any English class yet, but I always learn the English language from You Tube and this website.

Submitted by Mai Khin Nway Shein on Wed, 29/07/2020 - 09:30

I had an English class, it was around 2015, teachers from British Council, which was arranged by our Ministry. I studied A2 Level, after 9 months,I had got B2 as Aptis Test Result. I was very happy and it was grate for me. After one year later, I didn't do anything to improve my English skills. I am now retrying hardly to improve my English. It is important for my life, my job and my opportunity.Now, I am also trying to get a scholarship from JISPA. I need to try more and more.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Wed, 29/07/2020 - 08:14

I have an online English course on Monday and Wednesday every week. It is a course of the British Council in India 6 weeks long. It covers speaking, listening, reading, and writing practice through a variety of general interest topics. There are 12 hours of live online classes with a teacher and 38 hours of guided online study on this course. I have started this course 2 weeks ago, on the 17th of July. I like my teacher and classmates. The topics of this course are interesting and close to real life. My English is not good so I have to try my best to improve it.

Submitted by I am on Thu, 23/07/2020 - 18:59

My English class is British Council, where everyone, who tend to learn language can diving themself to whole native speaker environment and effectively improve skills. I’ve studied English on their own with internet. Those, who wish to achieving own goals seeking hundreds ways, those who not - hundreds excuses.
Do you have any hint to give us? I have already made english courses, but I can't get the fluency.. So, I'm trying being in contact with the language everyday. Usually I study through British Council, Ted and BBC.

Submitted by Alifaraax on Wed, 22/07/2020 - 18:59

No i haven't any English class right now.

Submitted by syah on Mon, 20/07/2020 - 14:31

I don't have an English class. I just take a online English class like British Council. Before, I plan to take English class in one city in my province after I graduated from highschool. But, this pandemic was coming. I felt so sad. Then, I found British Council. Thank you so much for British Council that provide this course. It is really helpful for all of us to improve our English skills especilally at this pandemic that enforced us to stay home.

Submitted by Miri85 on Mon, 20/07/2020 - 11:36

No, I am study English on my own.

Submitted by fatfat on Thu, 16/07/2020 - 12:03

I had an English course in istanbul for little time. Actually I love to learn English but I don't want to remember those days. Because I had a dispute with course owner.

Submitted by U Kyaw on Sun, 12/07/2020 - 16:50

Hello,sir.How can I download Audio file.I don't know it.And I want to get audio files.

Hello U Kyaw,

If you right-click on the audio, player and choose the 'Save As ...' option, you should be able to download this and any other audio on our site.