Episode 01 - They meet

Julia and Sammy meet in a cycling accident! Then they want the same taxi. Will they get on?

Julia: Hey! You! Watch out!
Sammy: I'm sorry.
Julia: This is a bike path.
Sammy: I'm sorry!
Julia: It's for bikes.
Sammy: I'm sorry.
Julia: It isn't for people.
Sammy: Erm ... sorry?
Julia: People run over there in the park.
Sammy: Oh! Right!
Julia: People don't run here.
Sammy: Erm ... sorry.
Julia: Dangerous.
Sammy: I'm very sorry.

Julia and Sammy: Taxi!
Julia: This is my taxi.
Sammy: No, this is my taxi.
Julia: Look, I ... Oh, it's you!
Sammy: Oh, it's you!
Taxi driver: Where are you going?
Julia and Sammy: To 15 Lancaster Road.
Taxi driver: Lancaster Road. OK, get in.
Julia: Well ...
Sammy: Ladies first!
Julia: Oh, erm ... thanks.

Sammy: Are you going to Tom's party?
Julia: Yes, I am. Are you going, too?
Sammy: Yes, I am. Tom's my friend.
Julia: Tom's my friend, too!
Sammy: I'm Sammy.
Julia: Hi, Sammy. My name's Julia.
Sammy: Hi, Julia. Pleased to meet you.

Task 1: Check your understanding 1

Matching_MTEyOTk=

Task 6: 'm not, isn't, aren't 2

GapFillTyping_MTEzMDA=

Task 7: Making sentences

ReorderingHorizontal_MjA2MzU=

Submitted by Gus2019 on Fri, 01/03/2019 - 00:56

Hi everybody. I've never known to someone as the unusual situtaton in the video. However, I think is a great opportunity to know someone and posible to get a friendship. I like to make new Friends but definily It's doesn't happen to me, somenthing similar as the video. It's so funny. Haha

Submitted by Fercho72 on Tue, 26/02/2019 - 04:14

Hi everybody until now I'm not ever known someone an a unusual way however I would like to meet someone this way sounds good

Submitted by thaihungphi on Sun, 24/02/2019 - 04:00

Hello everyone, I'm here to learn and improve my English skills. And I come from Vietnam. Wish you had a great time in this website.
Hi thaihungphi What’re you doing tonight? Hey boy Write my letter, feel much better I’ll use my fancy patter on the telephone (*ˊᵕˋ*)੭ ੈ

Submitted by TP on Sun, 24/02/2019 - 03:28

Yes. I have met many people unexpectedly but not that much unusual way. I think meeting new people is so much fun. It can give you whole experience.

Submitted by randyjay on Sun, 24/02/2019 - 03:25

Hi everyone i am randy i met my best friend in my school and he is the captain of School Cricket team. one day we are playing a tournament i have been fallen in the ground and my leg is injured and my best friend help me to get treatments
Hi randyjay Love of my life, you've hurt me You've broken my leg And now you leave me ( ⸝⸝•ᴗ•⸝⸝ )੭⁾⁾

Submitted by Kavi on Sun, 24/02/2019 - 03:24

Hello everyone,I'm from Sri Lanka.I'm very happy to learn english in here.
Hi Kavi, Is this the real life, is this just fantasy, caught in a landslide, no escape from you Open your eyes, look up to the skies and see p( HELLO)q´・v・`*)♡

Submitted by luigialfonsotedde on Sat, 23/02/2019 - 16:31

Hi everyone, I'm Luigi and I started to learn English now!
Hi luigialfonsotedde, Hurry up hurry up Before I lose you Hurry up hurry up Before you lose me too Hurry up hurry up Before I change my mind ((pq•ᴗ• )Hello♬

Submitted by demiriz on Fri, 22/02/2019 - 14:59

Hi! My name is Filya. I want to speak english with somebody. And I want to meet the friends for it. Let`s study together!!!
Hi Filya! “Hurry boy, it’s waiting there for you” It’s gonna take a lot to drag me away from you There’s nothing that a hundred men or more could ever do I bless the rains down in Africa ●´∀`)ノ)) HELLO♪

Submitted by ahmadali on Tue, 19/02/2019 - 13:02

Hello My name is Ahmad Ali.i'm from Pakistan. I'm here to Learn English.

Submitted by thuylong on Tue, 19/02/2019 - 09:01

Hi everyone! I like to learn English and please you help me. Thanks!

Submitted by Paola noble on Tue, 19/02/2019 - 00:50

Hi my name is Paola I want to improve my English and I'm very happy with this English course thanks for this opportunity!

Submitted by mdazmulhuda on Mon, 18/02/2019 - 18:25

Hello Everyone, I am Md Azmul Huda from Bangladesh and I am here for learning English and I am looking partner for communicate with English.

Submitted by ahmed.sh on Sat, 16/02/2019 - 00:02

hi there im Ahmed and i'm new in uk im here to learn english and make some new Friend to spiking english together

Submitted by ansari on Fri, 15/02/2019 - 04:03

Hi Guys, I am Ansari from Afghanistan

Submitted by KHALED34 on Fri, 08/02/2019 - 18:01

Hi everybody my name is khaled and I'm from algeria I would like to improve my english

Submitted by javiertillero on Tue, 05/02/2019 - 16:49

Hi my nickname is my real name, and I from Colombia, I would love to make the most of British Council

Submitted by ghaforienglish on Sat, 02/02/2019 - 03:41

hello. I am trying to watch these listening section videos but it is not playing and I click many times too and I went back and return again to listening section but it still no video playing, anyone know what is problem or how we can play these videos? kindly let us know. Thank you.

Hello ghaforienglish,

I've checked the page and the video is working correctly, so it seems the problem is a local one rather than one related to the page. It may be a compatibility issue with your device or software. The simplest thing to do would be to try accessing the page on a different device – not a mobile device, as these sometimes have limitations with regard to media.

Do the other videos on our site work for you, or is this a general problem?

The Learn English Team

Submitted by Heba Hemdan on Tue, 29/01/2019 - 11:12

it is very well sentences to improve English

Submitted by Morena Urbana on Mon, 28/01/2019 - 07:06

Hi. I’m new in this website, I’m from Spain and I’m Yoga Teacher.

Submitted by eudes cruz on Sun, 27/01/2019 - 01:21

Yes , I have. On the street on the app

Submitted by BEC on Thu, 17/01/2019 - 01:35

Hi my name is Enrique and I'm an electronic engineer ..now I´m working as a teacher.

Submitted by kamil fattahi on Sat, 12/01/2019 - 17:35

Hi guys. whats up? I'm a new member in this website. Its a please is I'm with you

Submitted by Nguyen Trieu Phu on Wed, 09/01/2019 - 07:36

it help me a lot, i think i can improve my english

Submitted by Mercedes Quicano on Mon, 07/01/2019 - 14:26

I understood it very well. !congratulations!! it was cool.

Submitted by amit_ck on Mon, 07/01/2019 - 05:35

1) They have been married for five years 2) I have known her for a long time Both sentences are present perfect. But the question is why is there used “Been” in the (1) sentence but not in (2) sentence? Most of the time we use “Been” in the present perfect to say about where the person was. In this case of (1) why we use “been”? Could you please give me some example? Thank you

Hello amit_ck,

Both sentences are present perfect.

We form the present perfect with [have/has + past participle]

In the first sentence 'married' is an adjective. The verb form is have + been.

In the second sentence the verb form is have + known.

Submitted by Alexander Bladeck on Sun, 06/01/2019 - 14:26

Pleased to meet you, Glad to meet you and Nice to meet you these sentences mean the same? Could I use other forms?

Hi Alexander Bladeck

'Please to meet you' is a bit more formal than the other two, but otherwise, yes, these phrases all essentially mean the same thing. There are many things you could say in this situation, but these are probably the most common ways to express this idea.

All the best

Submitted by Al Ahsan Rabbi on Sat, 05/01/2019 - 16:03

hi, I am Rabbi from Bangladesh. I am an Engineering student.

Submitted by Saikou BARRY on Sat, 05/01/2019 - 14:16

Hello, my name is Saikou, I am from Guinea. I met my wife there was 7 years, she was friend with my young sister. Once in a while she came at home. And I saw her there the fist time.

Submitted by Dane17 on Sat, 05/01/2019 - 09:50

Thanks a lot for improving my English level.

Submitted by RANDRIANOLISOA… on Fri, 04/01/2019 - 02:11

Hellooo, I d like to ask how I can download the video or mp3. Thank you.

Hello Jean José,

I'm afraid downloads are not available for our video resources. This is for technical and legal reasons. We try to make the .mp3 files available for our audio materials, however, and put a link to download the files on those pages.

Submitted by hungdq3 on Thu, 03/01/2019 - 09:38

I am not from Thailand, I'm from Vietnam. I am not a doctor, I am a staff in a telecommunication company.

Submitted by Rockman on Wed, 02/01/2019 - 01:54

At the moment I'm single but I hope to meet my partner this year and I never give up.

Submitted by Alexander Bladeck on Tue, 01/01/2019 - 19:11

They are a beautiful couple.

Submitted by Earlytimenews on Tue, 01/01/2019 - 17:15

I met my best friend when she had a flat tyre and was stranded on the road. I stopped to give her a helping hand and we struck up a friendship that has lasted very many years. I met my spouse through a chance encounter at the church we attended then.