An invitation to a party

Listen to some phone messages with directions to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Automated message: You have two new messages. Message number one, received today at 3.45 p.m.

Hi, it's me. How's it going? I guess you're at work and you don't have your phone on, right? First of all, thank you, THANK YOU for the birthday card and message. I received it this morning. That's so nice of you. I'm organising a little party for my birthday. It's nothing very big – only a few of my best and closest friends. That means you too! We're going to have it at my cousin's house. She lives in the countryside in a nice big house with a swimming pool. I'd love to see you there. It's going to be this Friday. I'll send you the instructions on how to get there later, OK?

Anyway, have fun at work. Don't work too hard, OK? Talk soon.

Automated message: You have two new messages. Message number two, received today at 5.15 p.m.

Aw, you're still not answering your phone! OK, here are the instructions to get to my cousin's house for the party. Are you going to take your car? If you take the car, drive straight on Forest Road until you get to the motorway. Drive past Brownsville and take exit 13A. That's 13A. You drive down the road there and turn left. It's the first big house on the right. OK? If you're taking a bus, you can get the number 80 to Brownsville. Call me when you get there and somebody can pick you up in a car. I can't wait. This is going to be so great!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by In on Tue, 09/02/2021 - 10:56

Not really. Well in some parts of the city is to get lost or confused, happened to me one time.

Submitted by Leila77 on Sat, 06/02/2021 - 09:42

Yes, it is easy to get lost in my town. I live in a big city and the roads are really complicated. I have given directions to someone and he got lost!

Submitted by kautsar on Thu, 04/02/2021 - 08:33

Yes, it is. Because the roads on my town are so complicated. and i had given instruction to the visitor who asked how to get to our landmark places

Submitted by Sara Kalafat on Fri, 29/01/2021 - 14:39

i do everyday and i have some troubles to give the directions and addresses hhhha

Submitted by German on Sat, 23/01/2021 - 01:48

It´s easy get lost in my city (Bogotá). It´s big and in some places the adresses are dificult. I had to give instructions to visitors and for Bogota is a little bit complex

Submitted by Marsa on Sun, 10/01/2021 - 11:39

Hi! I never lost in my town. It's not so big but not small . Of course I have given direction for visitors end sometimes I have taken direction when I didn't know clearly where was some address

Submitted by Minh on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 19:22

Well, I have been lived in the detached house for many years. With my house it's easy to find, and people can't lost place where I give the instruction. Absolutely, I always describe my home for my friends coming to visit or meet together.
Profile picture for user Zhasulan

Submitted by Zhasulan on Fri, 01/01/2021 - 15:30

I live in Zhezkazgan.The Zhezkazgan is small town. I sure that in the my town impossible to get lost and had n`t a lot of place.If you will can get lost my town you should ask to help of local resident.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Thu, 31/12/2020 - 07:37

I live in a village so no one lost in village. When outsiders come to my village they need to google map. It's very helpful for outsiders. When ever visitors come to my village I help them. it's feel me very great.

Submitted by Rabia Syed on Wed, 30/12/2020 - 15:57

Hi I Living In Village and It's Difficult To find my House . But If u Are having Google Map On Your smart phone. Then U Can Easily find my House. If you are facing Hardles to find my House u can connect me On my Cell phone. Ok by Talk soon

Submitted by mhdoamaral on Tue, 29/12/2020 - 11:08

Yes, I find it easy to get lost in my city. Even who lives here get lost sometimes, because it's a very big city with more than eight million of inhabitants and many different places to visit. My city is also very visited for tourists from all over the world, and many times I've needed to give instructions and directions for them. This is nice, a great opportuny for me, I can practice my English.
Profile picture for user Khin Yee Mon Khaing

Submitted by Khin Yee Mon Khaing on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 12:23

My home town is small and it is not difficult to find.When someone see the billboard,go straight the street and when the time you see the bridge,turn right the road.

Submitted by falakhmuhammad on Thu, 17/12/2020 - 03:36

No, it isn't. In my humble opinion, Yogyakarta, my hometown, has a useful guidance which is easy to be understood for the tourist. If they read the sign and the map carefully, they would not be lost. Yes, I have. They asked the direction to Malioboro, one of the Yogyakarta's landmark.

Submitted by hasan.kumek on Mon, 14/12/2020 - 15:46

It is easy get lost in my town. Some people ask me question like where is this public building and I say I don't know or here is.

Submitted by fofanaML on Sat, 12/12/2020 - 09:50

Yeah it's easy to get lost in my town, if you're not a regular but necessary to install google Map.

Submitted by Frank_7 on Thu, 10/12/2020 - 13:52

More or less, there are several landmarks in my city, first I live in a district called "Villa de Fátima", this is in the human settlement "Cerro San Cristóbal", and this hill has become a very visited tourist destination in Holy Week. I think once I did give instructions to an American tourist.

Submitted by Emma_Torres175 on Wed, 09/12/2020 - 19:59

Yes, because my city is very big and has many places. But I have never instructed a visitor because the opportunity did not present itself.

Submitted by Augusto Hidalgo on Wed, 09/12/2020 - 19:28

Is it easy to get lost in your town? Have you ever given directions to a visitor? Yes because is a big town and had a lot of markets, houses and parks, also we have to give directions to the visitor to make sure he don't lose.

Submitted by mansurCTNKY on Sat, 05/12/2020 - 13:19

Hey We can practices together by talking and writing. My name is ------------------ in instagram.

Hello mansurCTNKY,

I'm afraid our House rules don't allow our users to share personal information such as their Instagram handles. Sorry!

Submitted by GiuseppeT on Thu, 26/11/2020 - 09:01

yes, I'm from a big town of South of Italy, so it's very easy to get lost, every moment there's a lot of traffic. Yes I gave several times some information to tourists or friends to reach the most important places of the city.
Profile picture for user DJ Singh

Submitted by DJ Singh on Tue, 24/11/2020 - 11:12

My hometown is very small and there enough landmark to give directions to the visitor, its not much difficult to find anything. But work city is very big because its a metro city travel time is much more than my hometown, its very easy peasy to get lost in City like Mumbai.

Submitted by NOURHAN93 on Sun, 22/11/2020 - 16:27

I arrived to Brazil since 5 years ago , so the country was totally new for me , I remember one day I need to make some documents ,so I decided to use my phone to get the address , while I was using my phone a robber who was on bicycle stolen my phone and I can't catch him anymore, so I returned to my home cause I couldn't found address to make my documents

Submitted by Aynura99 on Wed, 18/11/2020 - 19:08

I always get lost regardless of the places where I go for fist time. I must go somewhere twice or more to memorize. That's why I use Google map at all time.

Submitted by ziza on Tue, 03/11/2020 - 23:49

Yeah, it is easy to get lost in my town, I do :) and I haven't given directions to anybody, I just maybe give directions if the visitor in front of the location :) Thank god we have Google Map.

Submitted by kzmyr on Sat, 31/10/2020 - 17:25

Profile picture for user Ana Luisa Sanchez Arroyo

Submitted by Ana Luisa Sanc… on Wed, 21/10/2020 - 20:09

In a Big city like México City is easy to get lost, for me is a little difficult give some instructions or attend it's. I have to study the route in the GPS before take a road way.

Submitted by Ugulhan on Thu, 15/10/2020 - 13:29

Actually, I was born in big city, Tashkent and there you can get lost so you need to get some directions. At the moment, I am studying and living in a small city of Germany, if a visitor will come here and suddenly they could be got lost the directions then they can get the directions soon seeing as a small city is Hildesheim. You look just at the map or you can also ask for someone on the street. I also gave some direction in South Germany. One women from Canada, she want to ask for main station and I have been directed her to there.

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Mon, 12/10/2020 - 09:13

Yes, It is easy to get lost in my town. But I have never given the instruction to the visitors. I usually don't go anywhere that's why.

Submitted by Kirigaya Kazuto on Sat, 03/10/2020 - 15:21

The listening is so good Very good

Submitted by Carlos Daniel … on Thu, 01/10/2020 - 18:07

no, it is hard to get lost here in jerez, because is a small town, and i have given instructions to drive to a market
Profile picture for user Ivy Yang

Submitted by Ivy Yang on Sat, 26/09/2020 - 16:06

I live in a small town, so it's easy to get around without being lost. The police here is really helpful and you can ask them whenever you need
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Thu, 24/09/2020 - 16:05

An invitation to a party, which is banned at the moment due to COVID-19! ;|

Submitted by Смехо Твор on Thu, 24/09/2020 - 14:25

In our city you can get lost everywere! It hasn't any signs, and it's realy big. You can use your phone (if this phone survives in our bus) to find your way.

Hi and thanks for your comment!

Could you please change your username so that it uses Roman letters (the English alphabet)? Our House rules ask you to use Roman letters so that everyone on the site can pronounce your name.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Submitted by Rafael Balderas on Tue, 15/09/2020 - 03:18

I think that it isn´t very difficult to get lost in the place where I live, the city is smaller than others in the country, only except if you are a tourist. There are signs at the entrances of the city for certain main places like the market.

Submitted by GillianSoMa on Mon, 14/09/2020 - 23:09

In my opinion, I don't know the name of each street in my city since I don't go out much, but I can locate myself and if I have given help to the people who have asked me, either indicating a landmark or a store.

Submitted by Aguirre Ortiz … on Thu, 10/09/2020 - 23:55

The address to get to my house is the following. If you take a bus, it must be the Fleet Pichincha or the Queen, either, stay at the stop at the mechanic entrance, turn right and walk straight about six blocks, until you reach a green gate next to a greenhouse. to the right the two-story house, white there it is. If you are walking, they are the same instructions above to get to my house. Only you can do it only from the Y of Cuzubamba since it is a bit far.

Submitted by zozo on Thu, 10/09/2020 - 13:45

well actually I remember i gave someone diriction to the ministery of education in my city he had some work to do there I got mistaking in the road name later i remembered that I've getten very upsat for that but it's not on purpes.

Submitted by Green on Wed, 09/09/2020 - 13:41

Here are the instructions to get to my house. If you take the car, drive straight on Sejong Road until you get to the Haknare Bridge. Drive past Haknare Bridge and get to the Maum Road. You drive down the Maum Road there and turn left. Go straight about 500m and turn right then you can find a big apartment on your left.

Submitted by fariba on Mon, 31/08/2020 - 08:08

i sometimes gave directions to strangers.

Submitted by biso01 on Tue, 25/08/2020 - 14:16

i have lived in my town since i have born so its difficult to get lost in my town i know every inch in my town. My town is very big and old one so we have so many of visitors every year and they have their guide so its difficult to give one of them the directions.

Submitted by Abd450c on Sun, 23/08/2020 - 17:19

Hi, i live in a town city that is big enough, it is simply featured with wide lands and desert as well, So there are a huge area without any buildings such as factories or appartements, that is going to be fine and more comfortabale to visitors' self while are hunging out or just kickabout some time. It is hardly somebody gets lost that is because not crowded , bustling and dirty city so that i am talking about . For me i have given direction to foreingers many times, when they are asking me for missing place and if i know that place i will have to direct them to find their place in a easy way. That's it . Thank you.

Submitted by MARIANO_HB on Wed, 12/08/2020 - 02:21

I have given instructions to get to any address but actually is too hard even in my native language.

Submitted by Cyrus Kiran on Tue, 11/08/2020 - 11:39

As my town is a little big, some foreigners don't know the name of the places. So , I sometimes give directions for them and they say "Thank You".

Submitted by Rinaa on Sat, 01/08/2020 - 18:44

Fortunately, nobody can get lost in my town, because it's a small country and today technology help us to find our way by using google map or GPRS. But if you go to the mountains, because my Country well knows about the wonderful mountains that are frequently visited by tourists you can get lost, in that green paradise. I remember last year, I gave some direction and advice to some tourist that were interested to visit mountains. But first, I researched the location, just to be pretty sure that I will help them with right information.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Wed, 29/07/2020 - 18:25

It isn't easy to get lost in my town because the roads here are wide and people follow the traffic lights very well. If you travel to my town by motorbike, you can arrive anywhere with just an internet-connected smartphone with the Google map app. Or you can catch a taxi at Long Khanh Market and ask the driver to take you to arrive at the place that you want.

Submitted by Mohamed Mostafa on Wed, 22/07/2020 - 12:00

Here are the instructions to get to my house. Are you going to take your car? If you take the car, drive straight on Almatar St. until you get to Alothaim Mall. Drive after Bus Station and take the exit to Al Gaysh St. You drive down the road there till the last of it. Then, turn left with the circle. It's the first big building. You will find my apartment No.1 on the first floor.

Submitted by Ehsan1984 on Fri, 17/07/2020 - 18:57

yes. one day we have been in an old and traditional house suddenly i have saw two visitors have been confuse and was talking together. so they started walking and came to first point . they turned around themselves. so i showed exit board .