A student discussion

Listen to two students comparing Mars and Earth to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Teacher: So you've got a few minutes to discuss with your partner.

Student 1: So, as far as I know, the main similarity between Mars and Earth is that they can both support human life.

Student 2: Yeah, but do we know that's actually true? I mean, Mars is much colder than Earth, isn't it? It says here it's about minus 55 degrees most of the time, whereas on Earth only places like Antarctica get that cold.

Student 1: True. Well then, I suppose you could say both planets are a similar distance from the Sun?

Student 2: No way! Mars is much further away! It says here it's about 228 million kilometres, while Earth is about 150 million.

Student 1: Yes, but in space that's not that far. Jupiter is, like, almost 780 million kilometres. That's why we use astronomical units when we talk about distances in space. Earth is 1 astronomical unit from the Sun and Mars is 1.3. The difference doesn't sound so big when you look at it that way.

Student 2: I see what you mean. Jupiter is 5.2 astronomical units so I guess you're right. What other similarities are there between the two planets?

Student 1: Let's see … not the colour, obviously!

Student 2: Yeah! Earth is called the blue planet and Mars is called the red planet for pretty obvious reasons!

Student 1: Their sizes are pretty different. Mars is about half the size of Earth.

Student 2: What about this? It looks like the days on both planets are almost the same length. Earth's day is 24 hours but Mars's is about half an hour longer.

Student 1: You're right. OK, any other things they both share?

Student 2: I suppose you could say they have water in common.

Student 1: Could you? How?

Student 2: Well, Earth is 70 per cent water and Mars probably had huge oceans in the past. It's just that most of the water there now is probably frozen.

Student 1: Ah, I see. I don't think we can say the air is the same, though. Most of Earth's air is nitrogen and oxygen, but Mars …?

Student 2: Mars doesn't really have air, not compared with Earth. It's got about one per cent as much air as Earth.

Student 1: Right, and it's mostly carbon dioxide.

Student 2: Gravity is another difference. I didn't know this, but Mars has higher gravity than the Moon. But it's much less than on Earth, of course.

Student 1: Oh, yes. It says Mars has about 38 per cent of Earth's gravity.

Teacher: OK, let's see what you've found …

Submitted by username123 on Mon, 09/12/2019 - 17:10

I suppose that, one day, people will definitly live on Mars This thing will happen when our Earth will be destroyed by future generation...

Submitted by le van son on Mon, 25/11/2019 - 15:07

Yes, I think people can live on Mars in the future when Earth destroy by people and Mars will be future.

Submitted by Wahib Al-Ammari on Sat, 23/11/2019 - 07:49

In order to live on Mars, or any other planet, we need four basic elements: food, water, air, and warm. It is seem impossible to deliver these thing from the earth to Mars. The shortest period to transport from earth to Mars about 8 months. If we need to create these requirements on Mars itself, then we need a fertilized land to farm food, plants to dissolve frozen water, producing oxygen, and controlling the temperature. All these things need very high cost and technical abilities. May be with the fast evolution in the novel technology, these issues will be addressed. May be our sons will be there, I hope so.

Submitted by Sergey Sh on Thu, 31/10/2019 - 03:22

Did anyone hear about 2030s mission to Mars? That’s NASA project, as far as I know, of sending people on Mars to settle. What kind of person you need to be to go living on Mars? There is an official website on this subject where everybody can sign in and apply to become one of discoverers. I happened to read of what people who were involved to the program said. Some of them were really engaged and had their motivation to make big contribution and promotion in humanity and science, it’s ok, but some others came clean they’re tired of living on Earth, a weird notice, as for me, isn’t ? Anyway, that’s going to be interesting to watch about how the program will work by 2030. I really doubt anyone could live on Mars cause of inappropriate living conditions there, but if NASA established the program it looks like they’re sure that it’s possible. There lots of research had been let on this subject to admit it, so I tend to rely and agree that it might be possible to live on Mars.

Submitted by ahmed shaker on Fri, 25/10/2019 - 15:39

I have completed the lessons regarding difference between Mars and Earth so, I think it is impossible for human to live on Mars planet due to the extreme conditions for weather , Gravity and air and till now there no research center prove the probability to how can anybody live on Mars

Submitted by César Árraga on Tue, 08/10/2019 - 17:06

I consider that as scientific researchs continues to advance, the NASA will evaluate if there are possibilities of living on Mars. Also, according to the listening excercise, we can understand there're more extreme conditions on that planet than the Earth. For instance, the weather(tempeartures are highly variable), air composition(it's mostly carbon dioxide), gravity(it is about one sixth of the Earth), etc.

Submitted by Assel on Thu, 26/09/2019 - 01:21

Technological progress does not stand in one place. For the last 100 years scientists all over the world have made up colossal breakthrough in technology area. I believe that in one day travel to Mars will be as easy as getting to the neighbour country. According to the many years research, life in Mars is completely possible.

Submitted by Karimkm on Fri, 20/09/2019 - 01:31

I have completed the following lessons of A Student Discussion.The level that I choose was Intermediate B1 Listening

Submitted by esthertimbong on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 10:21

I have completed the following lessons of a student Discussion, A weather Forecast, and making a decision. The level I chose are Intermediate B1 listening.

Submitted by Supina Anak Inggu on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:12

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion , A weather Forecast and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening

Submitted by FLORENCE SHERRIE on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:03

I have completed the following lessons of A student discussion. The level that I chose was intermidiate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Kenite Ray on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 08:27

Submitted by marcalyn on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 07:48

I have completed the following lesson of A Student Discussion. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Ikmal Haaziq on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 13:56

Submitted by hazeeqishida on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 11:40

Submitted by Haiza Supian on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 09:17

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, A student discussion, and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by KhaleefRosely on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 09:11

" I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion . The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Awang Idham on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:44

Submitted by Haris on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:44

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion.The level that i have choose was intermadiate B1 listening

Submitted by aina fatin amierah on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:40

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, A weather Forecast, and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening."

Submitted by Siti Alawiah on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:34

I have completed the lesson of A student discussion. The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Haiza Supian on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:29

Submitted by Widad Damia' on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:26

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, Meeting an old friend , and Making a Decission. The level that I chose was intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by Izzah Athirah on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:25

I have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion, Meeting an old friend and Making a Decision. The level that I chose was intermediate B1 Listening

Submitted by nurain khalisah on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 08:04

i have completed the following lessons of A student Discussion,A weather Forecast,and making a Decesion .The level that i choose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by hsyazhyra on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 07:58

I have completed the lesson of A Student Discussion.The level that I chose was Intermediate B1 Listening.

Submitted by hafiyaqil on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 07:26

I have completed the lesson Student Discussion the level i choose was B1 listening

Submitted by kamicounciler on Sat, 31/08/2019 - 20:26

probably mars is one of the most similar planets to the earth but not the best one for human to live so i think there are certainly planets (maybe outside our galaxy even) that are more likely to earth and people can live there in the future.

Submitted by Magedelabd on Wed, 28/08/2019 - 18:37

I do not think so . Unless the Mars specification changed , like having Oxygen as an example .

Submitted by myavari on Tue, 27/08/2019 - 10:09

I think it is too soon to answer this question. Many research need to solve the problem.

Submitted by popo1011 on Tue, 27/08/2019 - 07:21

Certainly, this occurs. But with this situation that human destroys everything, I afraid of annihilating the mars.

Submitted by kseniwerdy on Sat, 24/08/2019 - 03:43

I wonder about this sentence: "It's got about one per cent as much air as Earth." Doesn't it mean that "There is 1 percent of air more on Mars than on Earth."?..

Submitted by Steve Zarv on Fri, 23/08/2019 - 17:05

At first glance it looks kind of "easy" to answer, but it's not. This topic should be adressed from various topics so the question can be answered. For example, assumming that we will be able to live in there, there should've had several changes before that as far as we are concerned, our body has to evolve so that it has the correct conditions for living there as for instance to withstand the temperatures, gravity,etc. So it is not just matter of advanced technology, besides, Mars is far from being an habitable planet according to the NASA's list of the most habitable planets in the Milky Way.

Submitted by _maryam_ on Mon, 19/08/2019 - 09:19

I think it's impossible. this is so expencive and the earth is our home.We can't leave it and go forever. Poor earth! We destroy it and now we are looking for another home for take down!

Submitted by Afki on Fri, 16/08/2019 - 14:41

When you see the speed of knowledge and tegnology its possible one day to see some people that imigrate to the mars.

Submitted by starfish2019 on Thu, 08/08/2019 - 18:02

Do you think people will live on Mars one day? Yes, I also believe that certain portion of the Earth's Population will definitely live on Mars one day, because certain parts of our World's Natural Resources are depleting and overuse, therefore people will always look for alternative or replacements elsewhere, as part of our human nature. May be NASA Mars missions will find some kind of precious metals, minerals or elements on Mars to give great incentive for people to colonize the Mars and will be helped by great people like Elon Musk :)

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Fri, 02/08/2019 - 18:15

Why not? But it has to be clear that human life on Mars will be different. I love you, Earth !!

Submitted by Anaitat on Thu, 01/08/2019 - 12:51

Today Mars is the most and in more depth studied planet of the Solar System. For the idea, people will live on Mars, I can response that nowadays the people can use the Red Planet for scientific research and development only. As far ahead as anyone can see there is no such possibility.

Submitted by Mamai on Tue, 30/07/2019 - 09:53

I think is possible for human to life in Mars. But is better if they didn’t because humain will destroy evrething he touch.

Submitted by Alaamajed on Tue, 23/07/2019 - 17:24

It is better to maintain our planet from all that destroy it and destroy the beauty of its nature than we spend numerous amounts of money to discover what is in mars

Submitted by Mercedes Quicano on Sat, 20/07/2019 - 13:18

Yes I do, investigations are being developed, and results has shown that It could be possible, because there are necessary factors and resources for human being. These factors are important to be processed, and so finally obtain the enviroment suitable that allow this places be habitated by human life. Most of these places won't be the same that we have khown here in earth, but human life can stay there,like we have seen nowadays.

Submitted by Montze on Thu, 18/07/2019 - 19:27

i think this a very far possibility for the most of people live in earth, you nedd so much money to travel into the space

Submitted by Tony son of Gondor on Tue, 09/07/2019 - 19:00

I think that could be a real possibility, but in a very further future!!

Submitted by OmarAdelSherif on Sun, 09/06/2019 - 13:28

By analyzing the current situation of the planet, we can say that it’s difficult to live on such planet because the water which is considered the main factor of human living is so cold there. What makes Earth appropriate for life is its placement not so far from the sun and also the presence of oxigen. The absence of these two elements means life is impossible in Mars. However, human technology as I think can find some solutions to have life on such planet like having water not so frozen and providing oxygen on it.

Submitted by anitanoumea on Mon, 03/06/2019 - 08:19

Hi, the best that we must do is to protect our earth, before explore and live on Mars.

Submitted by Tony son of Gondor on Tue, 09/07/2019 - 19:04

In reply to by anitanoumea

I totally agree!! There are a lot of problems here in our planet without solution, and I think it's more important try to solve them before thinking abandone Earth

Submitted by Luis Quiroa on Sun, 02/06/2019 - 22:44

Yes, I agree. One day the water and food in the earth are will not enough for the people in the world. We have to travel and to explore another planet in the universe for survive.

Submitted by Ademola on Sat, 01/06/2019 - 12:16

I find it difficult to navigate from one question page to another. I would appreciate if you can explain to me how I can go about it.