The first English class

Listen to a teacher give students information about a new course to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Hello, everyone. Hello! It's nice to see you all here. Welcome to British Life and Language. I am your teacher. My name is Lindsay Black. That's L-I-N-D-S-A-Y Black. Before we begin, some information about the class.

Our class is in room 13, on the first floor. When you go upstairs, turn left to find the room. Again, that's room 13.

We have class twice a week, on Monday and Wednesday. Our class begins at 4.30 p.m. and lasts 90 minutes, so we finish at 6 p.m. That's 4.30 to 6. Please arrive on time, OK?

Also, I have an office hour if you have questions. I'm in office 7B on the second floor. My office hour is Friday at 6 p.m. So, if you have any questions or problems or want to talk to me, it's Friday at 6 p.m. in office 7B.

We begin next week, on March the 13th. That's Monday, March the 13th. The course ends on May the 20th. May the 20th is the last day.

I think that's all ... Oh, one more thing. For this course you need the book. Here it is: British Life and Language Level 1 Student's Book. So, please get a copy of the book. I don't want to see any photocopies of the book, thank you! Remember, it's level 1 student's book. Don't buy the teacher's book.

I think that's all, everyone. I look forward to working with you. See you next Monday!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

A1 English level (elementary)

Submitted by Noval on Mon, 08/08/2022 - 16:31

The last English class I attended was at the university, actually, this is an English class that I have been attending.

Submitted by huahua on Tue, 02/08/2022 - 04:31

Now I 'm attending an English Course called Ivy. It'll last two months. The class is three times a week on Sunday Monday and Tuesday. It begins at 6 pm and ends 7.30.

Submitted by kirito25 on Thu, 28/07/2022 - 10:38

Actually, You are my English class, Cause I'm graduated from university and now I'm focusing on my English skills, wish you guys all the best🌹

Submitted by amal3535 on Mon, 25/07/2022 - 17:21

I had one but now I'm a graduate

Submitted by sjrr10 on Sun, 17/07/2022 - 18:56

No, I don't have. I learn English with myself.

Submitted by Sayinsu on Sat, 09/07/2022 - 21:04

I book English classes online at my conveniences

Submitted by nqdang3004.ielts on Wed, 22/06/2022 - 16:45

I've been having English class on Tuesday and Thursday. And my goal is to get a 6.5 IELTS diploma after this course.

Submitted by Bmorales on Tue, 24/05/2022 - 13:05

Yes, I had a virtual English class from a university in Chile, very good

Submitted by khaled67 on Wed, 11/05/2022 - 23:13

I hadan English class when I'm enrolled preparatory and secondary school

Submitted by GraceMyat on Sat, 07/05/2022 - 14:07

Yes,I have an English class.The class starts today.It is on zoom.I have never taught with face-to-face on zoom.Now,I'm so excited to see the teacher and other classmates.I hope this will be fine.My heart beats so fast.

Submitted by Rekk on Sat, 30/04/2022 - 10:52

I've never been able to take an English class. I want to learn at British Council in my country tho it is very expensive but I can just study myself by BBC learning websites.

Submitted by Andres Cuchimaque on Fri, 22/04/2022 - 18:38

Do you have an English class? When is it? Where is it?
No, I don´t. My last english class was 6 years ago in Colombian British Council academy.

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Sun, 10/04/2022 - 16:58

Yes, I have an English class. Every Monday and Thursday. My class is under British council.

Submitted by SETTI on Thu, 07/04/2022 - 14:52

I'm learning in a English center , it start at 5p.m each Saturday

Submitted by Magidaa on Wed, 16/03/2022 - 14:49

Yes I have English course in the morning of college.

Submitted by Dinh Thai on Thu, 10/02/2022 - 08:57

I have an English class when I'm a sophomore and I study in an English center about on September, I study with a friend. The center's name is Ecorp English and it's in Hanoi, VietNam.

Submitted by jmajo on Mon, 31/01/2022 - 11:31

Well, I used to have it when I went to the high school, the last time I took a course and went to a face-to-face English was in the last year of high school, since then I kept studying by myself with self-study online courses, nowadays I use your website to review concepts and learn new vocabulary, so I'm studying with online self-study courses and I try to do at least one lesson per using your website(britishcouncil.org).

Thanks for the lesson.
Great site!

Submitted by Ehsan on Tue, 18/01/2022 - 07:18

I used to go years ago, but now I don't go. I study English myself.

Submitted by Kamelbenslimane on Wed, 05/01/2022 - 10:31

I don't have English class, but I had French class in the pass years at MBI school at Serif Algeria

Submitted by Phạm Thị Mỹ Dung on Sun, 02/01/2022 - 23:13

I am no longer a student, but I still have an English class every day by myself whenever I have spare time.

Submitted by zehrizer on Sun, 19/12/2021 - 07:29

No , it is finished. Now ı study english myself. I use the applications about that..

Submitted by ANOUAR on Tue, 16/11/2021 - 08:55

Yes there's alot of english classes in my country

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Fri, 12/11/2021 - 09:35

i always have an english class at 12:30 pm in university school. i study about listening, speaking, reading and writing. In addition, i also study other subjects. because my english is very bad so after school i have to improve my english by myself at home. i usually learn english by myself on youtube, tiktok,... and other applications.

Submitted by Asma hassan on Tue, 09/11/2021 - 05:12

I would like to learn english, like to speaking native

Submitted by KyawMinThu on Thu, 28/10/2021 - 15:27

I don’t have an English Class but I always study it from YouTube Channel when I have free time.

Submitted by vuhoap on Sat, 23/10/2021 - 13:57

No, I don't have any English class for a long time. However, when I was in middle school, I used to join an extra class near my home. From the time I went to high school until now when I work, I only study English by myself.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Mon, 04/10/2021 - 12:14

Yes, when I was in class 9th I regularly go to for English class. I love English language because this is very important in medium of instruction.

Submitted by Mai Khin Nway Shein on Tue, 13/04/2021 - 09:33

I have an English class in Nay Pyi Taw, teaching from the British Council that was arranged by the Government (PFM Project ) in 2015. PFM funded the cost for MOPF staff they are working under the PFM Project. I studied A2 level and I had a chance to attend the B2 level class after the aptis test. But I had to move to other region, so I lost my chance to attend to B2. I couldn't afford it by myself.

Hello Mai Khin Nway Shein,

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not sure if it would work for you, but you might find the courses available to our subscribers useful. There's lots of material at the B2 level.

Best wishes,

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Sun, 11/04/2021 - 03:08

Yes, it's three years ago, when I was in highschool. I was join coaching in the morning. My coaching time is 6.00am. I was wake up early in the morning about 4.00am. In this time I am being very lazy, I wake up 9.00am .

Submitted by DarwinM on Thu, 08/04/2021 - 00:10

Actually, I don't have any. I had English classes from high school to University, but now I'm just studying with websites and Youtube.

Submitted by SaraMessa on Thu, 01/04/2021 - 12:01

I had studying english at high school and at university. At high school I also spoke once a week with a native english teacher.

Submitted by Veronikka on Wed, 31/03/2021 - 01:47

Yes, I do. I study for myself after my job. I often watch Tedx talks videos and surf in this website. Also I participate in the community events of this web. It's very interesting.

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Sun, 28/03/2021 - 05:44

Right now I don't have language class. But I had 4 years ago. It is Tuesday and Thursday at 7 p.m.

Submitted by TIa vinaka on Thu, 25/03/2021 - 01:51

No I don't. I'd like to but I can't afford to have English classes for the time being. I study here and by my self instead.

Submitted by Minh on Fri, 19/03/2021 - 03:28

Unfortunately, I have not enough time to follow the English course at this time, so I have tried my best t learn a lot of things. Firstly, I finished whole the tenses of grammar and practice the pronunciations. Secondly, I also learnt a number of words. Fortunately, I have studied English when I was in high school and university. Now I am studying English by myself.
Profile picture for user mirtha

Submitted by mirtha on Tue, 16/03/2021 - 19:02

Yes I do. I study online courses at British Council (This platform) on Weekdays.

Submitted by Giuliana on Fri, 12/03/2021 - 17:05

No :( i don't have english class because i don't pay a course for that reason this i do this course online but i would like do a course face to face where i will learn english of a better way

Submitted by Majidaa909 on Sun, 07/03/2021 - 20:46

I have three time classes in the week.i study online in the home because the Coronaviruses.

Submitted by paulagutierrz on Sun, 28/02/2021 - 18:40

yes. i´d have to have english class four times a week but, because of corona, we have twice a week presencial and online. the classroom is in the same place as maths classes, thats in the third floor

Submitted by Turko on Thu, 25/02/2021 - 16:45

yes i have english classes twice a week at university. tuesday and thursday.I change my group and i upgraded to B1. i love my teacher but i think i haven`t adapted exactly. i hope i will learn more fastly in this level than before. today i finished this level and i pass to new level. good luck everyone..!

Submitted by vespinosa10 on Mon, 22/02/2021 - 16:02

yes, I have class on Mondays and Wednesdays and the class lasts at 40 minutes

Submitted by Alifaraax on Thu, 18/02/2021 - 19:11

may I get free certificate after I completed my entire course?

Hello Alifaraax,

Thank you for your interest, but I'm afraid that certificates are only available to our subscribers.

Submitted by Alifaraax on Thu, 18/02/2021 - 19:08

Hi my name is Adam Abdi I'm from Somalia especially I live in Mogadishu the capital city of Somalia I'm student at British English for the course of A1.
Profile picture for user David

Submitted by David on Sat, 13/02/2021 - 10:16

hi, recently I realized that the service of English Kids has been removed. please let me know that why it is happened. Thanks

Submitted by In on Sun, 07/02/2021 - 09:49

Yes, I do one-time per week. My class is online so I have the class at my house.