A phone call from a customer

Listen to the phone call from a customer to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Junko: Hello, Junko Mori speaking. How can I help you?

Andrea: Hi, Junko, it's Andrea here from Red Band. I'm calling about our latest order.

Junko: Everything arrived OK, right? We got the delivery confirmation at our end.

Andrea: Yes, everything's fine with the order. I'm calling about the invoice and the payment terms. I need a favour.

Junko: A favour? What do you need?

Andrea: This is a little, er ... difficult, but I need an extension on the payment terms. I know they're usually 30 days, but we're having some cash flow problems. You'd really be helping us out if you could extend it to 60 days.

Junko: I'm not sure if I can do that, Andrea. We've got regulations at our end, and also have to manage our own cash flow.

Andrea: I promise this won't become the norm, Junko. Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time. It's for an important customer and they pay on delivery.

Junko: I see. So your cash flow problem will be solved after this new order is delivered.

Andrea: Exactly.

Junko: That sounds good. Hold on, Andrea. Let me see what I can do. Yes, I think we can make an exception this time.

Andrea: That's great, Junko. I appreciate your help.

Junko: And we appreciate your business, Andrea. It works both ways.

Andrea: Thanks again, Junko. Can you send me a quick email confirmation of the payment terms extension?

Junko: Sure, no problem. We're happy to help you.

Andrea: Great. And I'll email you the new order.

Junko: Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it. Talk to you soon.

Andrea: You too. Goodbye.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

B1 English level (intermediate)

Submitted by nguyentatien254 on Fri, 01/10/2021 - 04:32

I have ever done a favour for my customer. I gave my students an extension on payment for the tuition.

Submitted by Rolabaik on Thu, 30/09/2021 - 09:56

Yes, I do if the client deserves this helping, it's all about the situation.

Submitted by Gerardo1337 on Wed, 08/09/2021 - 19:29

Good deal between both parts, This kind of actions enhance loyalty.

I agree with you, if you isn't flexible you could loose the client, because he will know that he doesn't ever have support on you.

Submitted by Celise Monteir… on Sat, 04/09/2021 - 01:56

I think it important to be flexible and make exception for important clients, if I know there reputation, because this can maintain the loyalty of these customers.

Submitted by Javier Antonio Seco on Mon, 30/08/2021 - 18:17

I really consider that being flexible with the customer could improve the business in both sides, a payment extension could works in this case.

Submitted by david.alfaro on Wed, 25/08/2021 - 02:25

I think extensions must be an important possibility for many important clients, so the idea of adopting exceptions in the policies of the enterprise power it up earning clients and getting good reputation even if there are another enterprises offering similar services.
Profile picture for user Kadir

Submitted by Kadir on Fri, 13/08/2021 - 20:15

The cash flow problems create some payment delays. Especially in the period of crisis businesses should manage their own cash flows very carefully. In such cases giving an extension to costumers make happy them and make strong relationships between business and costumers.

Submitted by mariadanielale… on Fri, 02/07/2021 - 21:50

Yes. If an important clients need an extension and we can help them, we do. It's about to consider the cashflow problem that they have. Then, the client will be more committed with us.
Profile picture for user iEdd

Submitted by iEdd on Tue, 29/06/2021 - 18:08

Well, I'm not a bussiness man actually, but sometimes I've made exceptions to my friend, as long as the essential game's rules remain.

Submitted by GiulianaAndy on Thu, 17/06/2021 - 05:17

Yes, I do an exception for my important customers. Therefore, they buy my products, or they choose my delivery service.

Submitted by Pann Nilar Htun on Wed, 16/06/2021 - 05:21

Yes, sometime we make the requests to suppliers because our payment process taken long time. I am afraid to do that but I have to.
Profile picture for user ye wint kyaw min

Submitted by ye wint kyaw min on Mon, 31/05/2021 - 04:58

Can someone please explain the sentence - "I promise this won't become the norm". What does that mean?Thanks.

Hello ye wint kyaw min,

'the norm' means regular or typical. In other words, Andrea is promising that he won't regularly ask for an extension. He's trying to assure Junko that this is a one-time or unusual situation.

Andrea, the customer, is assuring that this will be the last time that he is asking for a payment deadline extension. It won't happen again.
Andrea meant that his request about payment extension will not repeat again. It is just coincidence that he couldn't pay in time at this time.

Submitted by Homam21 on Mon, 24/05/2021 - 11:25

Yes, we sometimes do fevours for our important clients.

Submitted by Emily Mellor on Thu, 13/05/2021 - 16:34

I've never done about it.

Submitted by sarah1992 on Fri, 07/05/2021 - 16:14

great i fined it esay

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Thu, 15/04/2021 - 03:57

Yes, we should follow the company regulations and terms and conditions but when important client needs some favour then we should make some expections. But always make expections for clients is not good for company. If you always make expections then company collaspe and fall.

Submitted by Mohamed-Mostafa on Sat, 10/04/2021 - 19:15

I can do extension for customer who has a cash flow issue

Submitted by darianys on Thu, 08/04/2021 - 02:07

I think that an exception is sometimes fine, but it should not always because the people get used to it and the company falls.

Submitted by a1990 on Wed, 07/04/2021 - 21:12

yes, I can do a favor for some customer who has a good contract

Submitted by Paula Bermúdez… on Tue, 06/04/2021 - 20:14

Sometimes I make exceptions with some clients but when I do it, is for an important reason. I think it is pretty important to comply with labour regulations.

Submitted by Binita on Fri, 02/04/2021 - 08:07

Yes, i believe offering favours to clients sometimes helps keeping healthier relationship and mutual respect in business. This way one's business can be viewed as epitome to attract other clients.

Submitted by ghimirra on Fri, 02/04/2021 - 08:06

Clients are key to the success of any business. Therefore, sometimes businesses do need to make exceptions which will show that they are ready to go above and beyond to retain the existing customers. If I were to have a business, I would make exceptions for important clients on an individual basis.
Profile picture for user Josedaniel51

Submitted by Josedaniel51 on Sun, 28/03/2021 - 22:49

I don´t understand how I can do the task number 2

Hi Josedaniel51,

To add a sentence to a group, first click or press on the sentence. It will turn grey. Then, click on one of the two grey boxes below, and it will be added to it. Make sure you click on the box, not any sentences that are already in the box (as that will replace it rather than add it).

I hope that helps.

Jonathan

Submitted by Arole on Fri, 26/03/2021 - 12:36

Yes, it is necessary to do sometimes.

Submitted by Frank Cuello on Tue, 23/03/2021 - 20:35

I can make an exception if they give me an important reason to do it.

I agree, I don't have any expererience doing that but i could do it, if the customer or client have a considerable reason to help them. I think thats good to improve the relation between company and customer/client.

Submitted by Victors_17 on Mon, 22/03/2021 - 16:44

I do, sometimes. Well, I mean, it depends on their need and why they couldn't and if they also give some posible solutions.

Submitted by Akinori on Fri, 19/03/2021 - 13:00

Sometimes I offer a service exceptionally free to my important clients to keep a good relationship.

Submitted by ENSI on Thu, 18/03/2021 - 21:44

Yes....but in special moments becouse maybe its prohibeded by company, or maybe its bad business

Submitted by IISSIFOU on Mon, 15/03/2021 - 12:55

In this moment, I have not got this case. But I think that it is good to help our customers

Submitted by In on Sat, 13/03/2021 - 08:04

Yes, I do with my regular customers.

Submitted by adribcn on Fri, 12/03/2021 - 20:39

Well, I think that depend wich is the context but in general terms i think is good help to customers for establish a good relationship

Submitted by Pann Nilar Htun on Fri, 12/03/2021 - 08:52

I have no experience for above event. However I gained the knowledge speaking between customer and supplier. Many thanks.
Profile picture for user Enas Almzoghi

Submitted by Enas Almzoghi on Mon, 08/03/2021 - 12:40

Yes, if I can help a customer, it becomes useful for my business.

Submitted by Shalom on Sun, 07/03/2021 - 00:23

Yes, I do favours at times.
Profile picture for user Katvp

Submitted by Katvp on Thu, 04/03/2021 - 15:51

Yes I do, sometimes customer to require new terms of pay. It is good to help them.

Submitted by Audria Elisabeth on Thu, 04/03/2021 - 12:15

Yes, I do but Some times it made a flow cash issue for me...

Submitted by Ari on Tue, 02/03/2021 - 19:44

Of cource, I do. To my mimd this is the basis of the client's trust in the company. When you make an exception for a person who really needs it, he trusts you and may even recommend you to other people. But we can only make an exception once to preserve the prestige of the company and not put it at risk of economic collapse.

Submitted by fariba on Tue, 02/03/2021 - 09:44

no i never do favor for customers.

Submitted by Leila77 on Tue, 02/03/2021 - 09:21

Hi, Please, could you explain me the meaning of "at our end"? Junko said: "We've got regulations at our end." I'm not sure if my understanding is right.
Profile picture for user Peter M.

Submitted by Peter M. on Wed, 03/03/2021 - 08:41

In reply to by Leila77

Hi Leila77,

The phrase 'at our end' means 'in our company' or 'in our country'.