Making suggestions

In this video, Noelia and Yuna have a very good meeting. Listen to the language they use for making suggestions and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say!

Do you know what to say when you make suggestions? Listen out for useful language for making suggestions. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this!

Yuna: OK, this time let's focus. Phones off.

Noelia: Yes, and in my bag!

Yuna: Ready?

Noelia: I'm ready.

Yuna: We have half an hour.

Noelia: OK, let's go!

Yuna: How about starting with social media?

Noelia: Sure. Engagement is up 15 per cent this month.

Yuna: Good. So let's go for 20 per cent for next month.

Noelia: Yeah, sure. I'll tell the team. We'll need some extra help to make it work.

Yuna: Agreed. Good idea.

Yuna: Why don't you ask Vanya to help you create a new social media plan?

Noelia: OK, no problem. Shall we present it at the next team meeting together?

Yuna: Good plan. Can you let Paul see it first?

Noelia: Sure, I'll do that.

Yuna: Anything else?

Noelia: No, that's it.

Yuna: And that's half an hour! We did it!

Noelia: We're really good at this!

Ana: Hello again! Wow, that was a good meeting! So, did you notice the useful phrases used for making suggestions? Listen to me and then repeat.

Let's focus.

How about starting with social media?

Yeah, sure.

We'll need some extra help.

Agreed. Good idea.

Why don't you ask Vanya?

OK, no problem.

Shall we present it at the meeting?

Good plan.

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you make suggestions in English. Bye for now!

Submitted by cmarmare on Thu, 28/01/2021 - 10:02

Yes, when I'm working or watching a movie.

Watching move? Really? It’s great. You probably fully understand the movies
Have a good one

Submitted by Insan on Tue, 26/01/2021 - 10:55

yeah, thats great meeting i ever saw

Submitted by Leila77 on Fri, 22/01/2021 - 16:49

I never switch off my mobile phone to help me focus, but I often put it on silent mode.

Submitted by Ana193 on Tue, 19/01/2021 - 12:46

Depends on the situation but usually I use silent mode during work time even though 100 % WAH under the COVID-19 situation.

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Thu, 07/01/2021 - 15:37

No. I use much time silence mode in my phone when I focus to something.

Submitted by Tzar on Mon, 28/12/2020 - 10:24

I never swift off my phone to help me focus.But I always use silent mode when I'm in the meeting.

Submitted by falakhmuhammad on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 14:20

How do we identify the different of pronunciation between "presented" and "present it"? Could you explain it? Thanks

Hello falacool,

These are quite similar, but generally the grammar of the sentence will prevent any ambiguity. However, there is a difference:

> presented ends with the sound /ɪd/

> present it ends with the sound /ɪt/

Submitted by falakhmuhammad on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 14:14

Yes, I do. I often switch off or turn on "don't disturb" mode to help me focus on what I must to do at that time.

Submitted by Larissa330 on Sun, 20/12/2020 - 02:01

Yes, i do. Sometimes I put my phone off because my phone is a distraction.

There are applications that motivate. For example, while you are studying, you can grow a tree or fill the ocean with water. This motivates not to touch the phone.
Have a great day

Submitted by bykarenreis on Sat, 19/12/2020 - 15:33

I never switch off my phone to focus, but it would help me.

Submitted by Karan Narang on Sat, 19/12/2020 - 08:51

I saw the video and found phrase that is confusing me. Agree even agreed could use both at same situation. May you explain it ?

Hello Karan Narang,

You can use 'agreed' as a way of saying yes. It means the same as 'I agree'.

Paul:  This is the best plan, I think.

John:  Agreed.

Sue:  Yes, I agree.

Submitted by Pann Nilar Htun on Fri, 18/12/2020 - 05:09

Yes, of course. We need to switch the phone off or silence mode when we are in the meeting. If not phone ring makes annoying other people.

Submitted by serena93 on Wed, 16/12/2020 - 20:52

No, I never switch off my phone when I work but I always use silent mode to not disturb me and the other people who are working.

Submitted by heri sinaga on Mon, 14/12/2020 - 05:30

No, I don't switch off my phone, because i use my phone for help me when i find word that i'm not understand.

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Thu, 26/11/2020 - 15:58

No. Rarely I my phone off when I focus to my work. Mostly I use silence mode when I focus to my work. Because I got in the habit to use silence mode.

Submitted by sheebix on Tue, 24/11/2020 - 06:15

im sorry could you tell me why the video cant be played?

Hello sheebix,

I'm not sure why the video isn't playing for you! I've checked the page and it is functioning correctly, so the issue must be a local one. This may be a question of compatibility, so first try using a different device to see if you can access the material that way. Sometimes certain devices do not play certain content, especially mobile devices.

If that does not solve the problem then you might check your settings, especially security settings. You may have a firewall blocking certain content, for example.

Good luck!

Submitted by hossein.khosravi on Mon, 23/11/2020 - 15:29

we can turn off our cellphones for less than 30 minutes but for longer we can't

Submitted by karim.medusa on Fri, 13/11/2020 - 03:48

sometimes that I need more focus

Submitted by Khin Khin Htet on Mon, 09/11/2020 - 10:49

Yes , I usually do my phone in silence mode in Office Meeting and Class ! I never switch off my phone. It is not fine if switch off for me !

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Fri, 06/11/2020 - 06:39

No. When i learn english in this site i do my phone in silent mode.

Submitted by Kaique Machado on Tue, 03/11/2020 - 01:47

Yes, i have started switch off the phone to starting get more focus to do my lessons

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Thu, 29/10/2020 - 06:44

If i need focus in my work usualy i use silence mode on my phone.

Submitted by mrelvinaliyev on Thu, 29/10/2020 - 06:41

Yeah.At the Moment i phones off to focus to learn english with this site.Because i use the computer when i do task

Submitted by O'Prata on Tue, 27/10/2020 - 17:46

It's really difficult to keep the phone off during a meeting but in order not to lose focus we must do it. I found this lesson very diverting because I didn't know that "Let's...", "Why don't you ask..." and "How about..." were forms of making suggestions. I thought only modal verbs as should, would, could, can and so on were eligible for that. Thanks!

Submitted by pabloxje on Sun, 25/10/2020 - 03:14

No t really, if I need to focus in my work I usually use the silence mode on my cellular phone.

Submitted by alexiaimogen on Wed, 21/10/2020 - 07:02

Well, I rarely switch off my mobile phone because I'm afraid there are urgent things coming.
:) yes but sometimes it really important just like before starting this course I put my mobile phone in my bag so can't be disturbed :)

Submitted by Maria19 on Sun, 18/10/2020 - 11:25

No, I'm not switch off my phone. Actually, I switch my phone in a mute mode. Then, it's does not bother anyone.

Submitted by Larysa on Sat, 17/10/2020 - 20:25

I never switch my mobile phone off, I just press the mute button. So it doesn't interrupt my meeting or disturb somebody.

Submitted by Thet Lwin Aung on Thu, 15/10/2020 - 06:33

I don't see any video.

Hello Thet Llwin Aung,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the video.

I've checked the page and it appears to be working correctly. The problem is likely to be a local issue, therefore. This may be a compatibility issue, so you could try accessing the page using a different device, especially using a device which is not a mobile device (a laptop or desktop computer, for example). You might also check any security software you have installed to ensure that it is not blocking the page.

A second possibility is that local regulations block the content. Different countries have different regulations regarding internet content, so this is something you might also check.

I hope you find a solution. If not, remember that there are many pages on LearnEnglish with non-video material (audio, text and interactive activities), and the video pages have transcripts which you can read even if you cannot watch the video.

Submitted by Victor Hugo Fl… on Wed, 14/10/2020 - 19:59

Sometimes if I do, it's not always possible to turn off my phone, to be more focused

Submitted by Nurieta on Tue, 13/10/2020 - 10:02

My phone is always silent when I need to be focus on my task.

Submitted by togrul01 on Sun, 11/10/2020 - 20:13

Sometimes yes. When I possess a lot of work, I switch off my phone or Wi-Fi.

Submitted by Eyasin Arafat on Sat, 10/10/2020 - 01:46

No. To focus my work, I think switching phon off is not necessary rather it has some negative effect. Such as, it's may be someone can't connect with you and you also miss him or her. So, it is better to keep my phone in 'don't disturb mode', when I need to focus my job. I do it.

Submitted by Moon Wathan on Thu, 08/10/2020 - 15:11

Yeah, I always switch off my phone when I was teaching in the classroom. If so, I can focus the lessons for my students.

Submitted by Lilly098 on Thu, 08/10/2020 - 05:02

Partly yes, but mostly no. In case of emergency, I usually turn silent mode on and put away from work instead of switching off. This helps me concentrate on a lot.

Submitted by Hyuka on Fri, 25/09/2020 - 15:05

No.I don't do like that.I just put it away out of my sight.

Submitted by Md. Al-amin on Fri, 25/09/2020 - 03:29

No. Most of the time I did silent my mobile phone to concentrate my study

Submitted by Salma777 on Wed, 23/09/2020 - 16:57

No I don't but I am considering this idea . I guess it's good idea becuz the phone is really a distraction especially with the social media . Sometime you're using your phone to study , it's better to silent the notifications . Additionally, there are many mobile apps that help you stay focus , you can check them :)

Submitted by danisep on Thu, 17/09/2020 - 23:52

When I study my phone is always in do not disturb mode, If I don't listen any notification nothing is happening.

Submitted by Lena on Sat, 12/09/2020 - 11:30

Sometimes I do and it really helps. But honestly I can't always find willpower to do it.