Meeting a new team member

Listen to a conversation between two new colleagues to practise your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Peter: Hi, my name's Peter. What's your name?

Carla: Hi, Peter. I'm Carla. I'm new here.

Peter: Welcome to the company, Carla.

Carla: Thanks, Peter. I'm happy to be here and it's nice to meet you.

Peter: It's nice to meet you too.

Carla: Where do you work?

Peter: I work in the design team. We sit over there.

Carla: I'm in the marketing team. I started last week.

Peter: You work in marketing? That's very interesting.

Carla: Yes, it is. I'm enjoying it. But there are a lot of new things to learn.

Peter: I'm sure there are. I'm happy to help you if I can.

Carla: Thank you, Peter. What do you do in the design department?

Peter: I design new products.

Carla: That sounds interesting. I plan marketing events for new products. So I think we'll work together sometimes.

Peter: That would be great. So, where are you from, Carla?

Carla: Brazil. And you?

Peter: I'm from the UK.

Carla: How long have you been here?

Peter: I've worked here for three years but I actually moved here from the UK five years ago, to study.

Submitted by MaryaSun on Thu, 16/01/2020 - 15:56

Hello, when i meet someone for the first time i usually ask him/her to present himself/herself. I want to know, for example, his/her name, his age, where he/she lives, something about his/her study and why he/she is here. But i also like to ask him/her something about his/her strenghts and weaknesses and something about his hobbies and his/her free times.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Sat, 21/12/2019 - 14:23

When I meet someone for the first time, I asked him or her about general information such as: name, nationality, workplace and etc.

Submitted by elit.sw on Wed, 27/11/2019 - 18:11

I usually ask their name and job, I ask where they are from if they are not local Swedish or local, and I sometimes ask where they live but not always people here are too shy and it is not too easy to make contact.

Submitted by Dariusz on Sun, 24/11/2019 - 00:19

When I meet someone for the first time I usualy ask about basics informations like: name, where he or she lives, work, hobbys. Only convenient questions not awkward.

Submitted by Laura390 on Sat, 09/11/2019 - 15:45

When I meet people for the first time, I usually ask about of your profession, where this person born and live, what do you like to do and I offer my help.

Submitted by Nasser_mo on Mon, 04/11/2019 - 13:39

when I meet people for the first time, I'Il start getting to know them, then offer them my help, and finally say goodbye.

Submitted by Pawani on Wed, 30/10/2019 - 12:31

When I meet person for the first time I usually talk about the name, work place, family and nation. Asking privet information should be limited.

Submitted by johnny depp on Sun, 27/10/2019 - 11:18

Thanks wow piece of listening

Submitted by annjha_ on Sat, 05/10/2019 - 15:38

I have completed the lesson for meeting a new team member. The level I chose is beginner A1

Hello annjha_,

I just wanted to explain why we have not published your other comments. Our comments section is for asking questions about or commenting on the content of the page. Sometimes we allow other comments, but if there are too many, this makes it more difficult for other users to use our site.

Submitted by Izzati Saufie on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 15:13

Submitted by nurul ashikin on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 07:35

I have completed the lesson for "Meeting a New Team Member". The level I chose is Beginner A1

Submitted by Triony on Sat, 28/09/2019 - 06:31

teacher Yenfief I finished this unit

Submitted by MUHAMMAD RIZMA… on Thu, 26/09/2019 - 01:43

I'm finish

Submitted by Nurshaera73 on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:53

I have completed my lesson, topic Meeting a new team member. Now, I learnt something new that I can use in future life.

Submitted by Khairunnisa Bi… on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:28

I have completed the following lessons of Ordering in a cafe , shopping for cloth and meeting a new team member. The level that I chose was Beginner A1 Listening.

Submitted by Dayang Norsyaf… on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:16

I have completed the following lessons and its fun!

Submitted by raza.umar on Mon, 16/09/2019 - 17:56

well, I mostly make a discussion about the personal information and the work or study type questions. It provides me the enough information to know that person.

Submitted by bawk san aung on Thu, 29/08/2019 - 03:05

I shake a hand first. And exchange our family names and clan names. After that we would be family in our culture. Where he is from is as important as what his name is.We can scrutinize if he is our nationality.

Submitted by Magedelabd on Mon, 19/08/2019 - 18:52

When i meet with somebody for the first time we exchange the names , nationality , workplace and so on .

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Sat, 17/08/2019 - 18:03

It depends. I ask for the place where the person lives, his work, and the usual stuffs. But, at first time I don't ask for too things, because I don't like looking like a nosy woman.

Submitted by Longan1991 on Sat, 17/08/2019 - 10:12

When I meet people for first time, I usually talk about age, place that they live, current job,...ayer that we tell our job, hometown or we will discuss problems of life around. As I know, there are some countries in the world whee many people don't like anyone asks in detail their private lives or age, they consider as impolite behaviours and don't respect other people. In my country, when we meet acquaintances, we can am many things, including private things. With the others, we talk about general problems, breaking news,...asking private information should limit

Submitted by shinhaphura on Fri, 16/08/2019 - 03:36

We usually ask about something likes: name, nation, job,...

Submitted by shahramuteng on Thu, 15/08/2019 - 21:51

It depends on what situation and location I meet people. I usually have a different conversation in each location. for example, in university, we talk about Major, research interest, GPA, etc which are related to the university. but in the workplace, we usually talk about our experience, working skill, etc.

Submitted by jdevera21 on Tue, 30/07/2019 - 13:42

What do you usually talk about when you meet people for the first time? My parents grew me up with good moral values and teach me to be always kind and generous when you meet new people. I am a very accommodating person I care to listen carefully and understand clearly what people concerns, points of views and respect their opinions. Well at first time we meet with the people we usually talk about their past and present experience, where they came from, what their like's and dislikes, discuss family history and backgrounds, health conditions, upcoming plans, positive or negative things in life, memorable and unforgettable moment, and other related topics based on current scenarios.

Submitted by samreenmkhan on Tue, 30/07/2019 - 10:43

I ask their name and what they do, where are they from and what are their duties, if i am talking to a person in my organization and ask about hobbies.

Submitted by Santika on Tue, 30/07/2019 - 03:27

When I meet people for the first time, I usually say nothing. The people who I meet for the first time usually talk about many things about themselves, mostly about their friend, girlfriend/boyfriend, and family. They already know my name and they give their name to me. Then we do common things like meet other friend/friends, go to classroom/lecture theater/open public place for rest/food store/ transportation, and do the school/university/office task for each one of us.

Submitted by Mohd_tom1990 on Wed, 24/07/2019 - 09:18

Inew a new in aribian Ceramics factory iwork in mining department I'm ageologist I'm from sudan

Submitted by ayusisi on Tue, 23/07/2019 - 07:42

When I meet people for the first time, usually talk about the name, address, Job, hobby, and families.

Submitted by gedi on Tue, 23/07/2019 - 05:03

I ask him their name and which country they come from and i say him to welcome at anew work even introduce each other so i like to share him some of information about the company low if i know

Submitted by fariba on Wed, 17/07/2019 - 08:16

i talk about her education or work.

Submitted by fariba on Wed, 17/07/2019 - 08:01

nice too meet you.i am glad to meet you.

Submitted by salehisalehi65 on Tue, 16/07/2019 - 13:47

usually i have a greeting with him/her, say i glad to meet you and just ask about her/his program if its related to me. i conclude that we have forigner vendors came from brazil smar company, and we almost talking about work.... and some times they ask about our country culter and ancient place

Submitted by Chue on Sun, 14/07/2019 - 09:53

When I first meet with new people, I usually ask about their name, job career, university, age,etc.

Submitted by popo1011 on Tue, 02/07/2019 - 05:26

If I meet someone for the first time, I introduce myself. If he/she wants to speak with me, I talk about my country, my family, my work, my habitus,... I get his/her phone number, email address. I ask about his/her education, work, family,...

Submitted by Cho on Mon, 01/07/2019 - 14:02

When I meet first time, introduce each other and listen what they want to talk.

Submitted by Diana0419 on Sun, 30/06/2019 - 07:16

If my class has a new student in our class, I will give some directions and approaches to let them know in order for them to get used to the new environment. In terms of the relationship, I will introduce my friends to my classmate because it is happy to get along with the new student.

Submitted by Mennaosama on Tue, 25/06/2019 - 05:09

i talk about his\ her information to know him\her

Submitted by Roger Rogers on Mon, 24/06/2019 - 13:08

First, I introduce myself and talk about my basic information. The new person will also do the same. Basic routine at the workplace is another topic.

Submitted by Praveen kumar on Sat, 15/06/2019 - 12:07

I ask there name,where they are from and finaly nice to meet you see you aruond.

Submitted by Agata2021 on Mon, 03/06/2019 - 13:55

When I meet a new person I usually ask about names and where they from. Sometimes I ask about work and education and how they spend free time.

Submitted by mhazizi on Thu, 30/05/2019 - 14:41

I talk about her/his name, country/city, job. Also, I want to know what do he/she here and some subjects will come after talking.

Submitted by andredithfv on Sun, 26/05/2019 - 06:00

When I meet people of the first time, usually I ask her about your work, hobbies or family. I like speak about me too, I speak about my country, my city and about my family too.

Submitted by andredithfv on Sun, 26/05/2019 - 05:58

Submitted by teddysl on Sun, 26/05/2019 - 03:56

if i meet a interesting person for the first time i will get his/her facebook detail or mobile number after that i can make a chat

Submitted by TP on Sun, 26/05/2019 - 03:54

I usually talk about myself such as my name and where I am from. Then I ask what his/her name and where he/she is from. I also talk about his/her interests, weather and other interesting facts. I express my happiness of meeting the person. However, I never talk about politics and religious matters.

Submitted by Kavi on Sun, 26/05/2019 - 03:48

When I meet new people i talk about our details.Specially I ask their names.after i talk about our countries,family background,profession etc. I like to meet new people & introduce myself.