Finding the library

Listen to a conversation about the university library to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Student: Hi. Excuse me.

Student B: Yes?

Student: Where's the library?

Student B: The library? It's next to the registration office.

Student: Ah ... sorry, I'm new. Where's the registration office?

Student B: No problem. See the big building over there?

Student: Yes.

Student B: OK, so that's the lecture theatre. Next to that, on the right, is the registration office. And next to that is the library.

Student: I see. Thanks!

Student: Hello?

Librarian: Hello.

Student: Is this the library?

Librarian: Yes, it is. Quiet, please.

Student: Oh, sorry. Thank you.

Librarian: Can I help you?

Student: Er, yes, please. I want to borrow some books. What do I need?

Librarian: You need a library card. Here's the application form. You can take up to six books maximum today.

Student: OK. Six books.

Librarian: Yes. You have two weeks to read the books. Then you bring them back.

Student: And if I'm late?

Librarian: Every day you are late there is a fee of fifty pence.

Student: OK, 50p a day. Er, anything else?

Librarian: Mobile phones must be switched off in the library. You can bring your laptop, but please use headphones to watch videos or listen to music.

Student: OK, great.

Librarian: And you can't bring food or drink.

Student: No food, no drink. And ...?

Librarian: And please speak quietly! People are working here.

Student: Oh! Oh, OK. Thank you.

Librarian: You're welcome.

Hi! I studing English the same but my problem is when I become speak English, I`m so upset and I think I looking stupid, when I can`t explain something and prefer writing. How I can running of that problem? :/

Hello Stela,

It can be difficult speaking in a foreign language, can't it? We can feel a little bit silly, and think that other people might laugh at us. But is this how you feel when someone from another country tries to speak your language? Do you laugh at them? I expect you don't, and the truth is that we all react in this way. We know learning a foreign language is not an easy or quick thing, so we are encouraging and helpful. There's no reason for you to imagine that people won't be the same way with you.

Confidence is key, and the more you speak, the more confident you will be. When I learn a foreign language, I speak all the time to myself at home, or to my dog (who is very patient). I describe what I'm doing, I have 'conversations' with the radio or television, I describe what I can see in front of me and so on. In this way I learn to speak more quickly, even if my grammar is not perfect, and when I need to speak to somebody else it is much easier. I think this is the best advice I can give: speak at home and when you're alone - it really will help.

Submitted by Ali samer on Fri, 06/03/2020 - 10:22

it was a small library in my collage .I went ther when need book or surces for presentation

Submitted by Talha Munir on Tue, 25/02/2020 - 18:27

Yes, a very small library we have in our village, I can't come there(library) in my life, but I see it daily when I go to school, that's on my way..

Submitted by Eswar on Sat, 22/02/2020 - 06:08

Yes we have a library Which is 1 km From My Home , Me and my friends often go to library. to find the new books and magazines in the library.And read the books completely. It was great excitement to read the stories Which is published in magazines.

Submitted by IMEN ABBES on Thu, 20/02/2020 - 16:11

Yes I have a local library. I go there one time per week. I prefer read my lessons there and sometimes I borrow some books.

Submitted by Yenn nguyen on Wed, 19/02/2020 - 09:47

No. But I often go to the library in the school and borrow it. Just use library card you can borrow books . If you lose and tear, you have to pay for it. And must take care of it.

Submitted by Adriana Menegale on Thu, 13/02/2020 - 16:10

Yes, I have a local library, but I don´t usually go. I prefer to search for books on the internet.

Submitted by siciidgaagaale on Wed, 12/02/2020 - 17:39

yes but not alot of libraries ,i can say it is because our local people do not read alot . for me the last time i visited library was two months ago . i borrowed a book put i have not backed it yet .the limited time was 3 weeks .

Submitted by Vidyasagar on Fri, 07/02/2020 - 03:30

Yes, we have a local library. It is 2 km away from my home. I don't go there often. Whenever i go there, i go to read books. I don't have a library card.

Submitted by Sanja on Thu, 06/02/2020 - 14:30

Yes, I go there twice a month. I borrow psychological books for me and some books for my children, especially fairy tales.

Submitted by MaryaSun on Thu, 16/01/2020 - 15:33

Hello, near my home there is not a library so i can't spend my afternoon there! but i hope one day to live near a library and i woul spend there alla my afternoon ..i want lose myself around the shelves and i wold like to breath the smell of the books.

Submitted by serena lee on Mon, 13/01/2020 - 03:52

there is a small library in my country. I usually come there at the week end with my sister. We can borrow maximum 4 books and back after 2 weeks. All of time we study in the library after school time because it is quiet and cool. When I grow up, I will built another library which is bigger and more modal for children.

Hello serena lee

That sounds like a great ambition!

Please note that LearnEnglish is made for adults, LearnEnglish Teens is for people aged 13–17 and LearnEnglish Kids is for people aged 12 and younger. If you are younger than 18 years old, please take a look at whichever site is most appropriate for you.

All the best

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Mon, 23/12/2019 - 13:01

I like to browse books in a library. It's quick and easy!

Submitted by Mohamad-Altaha on Sun, 22/12/2019 - 13:15

No, I don't, but if I need some books, I can find them on the Internet as a PDF

Submitted by shahhoseini on Fri, 20/12/2019 - 05:46

There is a public librariy in my city. when I was student, I was going to there and studied but I prefer to work at my home now.

Submitted by elit.sw on Wed, 27/11/2019 - 17:34

the nearest town to us is a college town, and there is a very big and beautiful library there. I used to go there frequently in the summer but now I am to busy. And of course I studied or did my researches there.

Submitted by Rehameisa on Tue, 26/11/2019 - 09:09

ilike the way that librarian explained the rules.and how he help student to got all help ..when i was student i did not got that dealing

Submitted by Mehrafz on Sun, 24/11/2019 - 07:28

Yes I have a local library. I usually go to the local library once a week. I borrow books, or Cd's . I sometimes go the library to read magazines or newspapers . Since there is free internet in the library I also use there to do my research . I usually participate in the book critic meetings in the library in which the writer is invited to talk about his/her book and answer the audience questions. Sometimes I wish I could be a librarian working in the library.

Submitted by Dariusz on Fri, 22/11/2019 - 01:40

Yes I have a local library but I rarely go there. When I studied I went there many times.

Submitted by johnny depp on Fri, 04/10/2019 - 06:42

Thanks so much all of you. you have a good performance in this site. I think English is very good language.

Submitted by Josep Anton on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 18:06

Yes, I have a local library. Usually I go to library once a month. I go for a borrow books and too for read newspaper and magazines

Submitted by Izzati Saufie on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 14:57

I have completed the lesson for Finding The Library. The level I chose is Beginner A1

Submitted by nurnadiahazlan on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 10:31

I have completed the lesson for "Finding the Library". The level I chose is Beginner A1,

Submitted by nurul ashikin on Thu, 03/10/2019 - 07:30

Submitted by Abdelmouttalib on Thu, 26/09/2019 - 13:22

In reality we don't any library.

Submitted by Louvennea Joyenne on Thu, 19/09/2019 - 09:11

We do have local library here but i don't go to the local library instead i only go to my university library. I have done my answering all the questions.

Submitted by Pawani on Wed, 18/09/2019 - 13:33

I don't go to the library. but some times I use internet.

Submitted by TP on Wed, 18/09/2019 - 13:28

Well, we do have a local library but there aren't enough books or facilities for many people. Frankly, l rarely visit it. Nowadays, I mostly use the internet to study. I also have a good collection of books at home.

Submitted by Cheeseontop on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 16:58

The librarian said “ you can take up to six books maximum today “. What does “ take up” mean ?. Does it have the same meaning with borrow ?

Hello Cheeseontop

In this sentence, the verb is 'take', which implies 'borrowing' in this context, and then 'up to' is a preposition meaning 'up until'. It expresses the same idea as 'maximum' in this case, so actually the librarian could have just said 'up to six books' instead of 'up to six books maximum'.

Does that make sense?

All the best

Submitted by vahidvahediasl on Tue, 17/09/2019 - 10:38

my university has a good library...students are always silent so i can study with hight quality

Submitted by raza.umar on Mon, 16/09/2019 - 17:46

Hi, I am from Gujranwala, Pakistan. We have a public library in our town. It is a good library that entailing lot of books of all fields. I, often go there and read many books and newspapers. Moreover, I also have the membership card so, I can easily go there and read many books as I can.

Submitted by lethanhhoa85 on Wed, 11/09/2019 - 10:00

This is the first time I have a comment on this site. I really like this website, it is very useful for me to learn English. I don't have a local library. But I used to go to the library at my university when I was a student. I went there for borrowing some book to read. I love reading book :D

Submitted by bawk san aung on Tue, 27/08/2019 - 17:52

American center is the best place for a library in my country. Inspiration and motivation are given by that to me. It opens 6 days a week and i usually go there on Saturday once a week. So many books are attracting me but i usually choose the laptop one to practice this website.Because the wifi is available with free with good connection there.

Submitted by Magedelabd on Sat, 17/08/2019 - 17:56

i rely do not know if we have a local library in my area because it is not published by the government . i think that no body care abut it . i read electronic books . i read one book per month . i like the human development books .

Submitted by Longan1991 on Fri, 16/08/2019 - 11:23

Actually, there is no library in my country. My university has a small library on the second floor. There are only law books. I registered another library card to read many kinds of books. I often go to the library on weekend. I read books most of time. I spend hours in the library

Submitted by shinhaphura on Thu, 15/08/2019 - 07:38

No, there's no library in my village, but I can read books in my home because of many books that bought by me. We usually read book at the free time such as after working time. It made the good habit for my daughters so they like reading books also.

Submitted by shahramuteng on Wed, 14/08/2019 - 21:24

There are two local libraries in our downstreet, I went to one of them once time. and I asked about what I need to use the library. After that, I went to none of them and any other library.

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Sun, 11/08/2019 - 11:30

There are some libraries in my town where I go twice a month to borrow interesting books. I 'm usually a punctual customer, it means that I like to be on time in getting back the books to the librarian .

Submitted by Toanrt on Fri, 02/08/2019 - 10:05

We have but no free library 200k vnd a year and i read ebook so don't need to use it

Submitted by samreenmkhan on Tue, 30/07/2019 - 10:30

well i don't have a library near my place i have one in my college when i need a quite place to read my test i go there and do my practice there.

Submitted by jdevera21 on Tue, 30/07/2019 - 10:28

Do you have a local library? How often do you go there? What do you do there? I graduated and finished my five years engineering bachelor degree in my alma mater where the main capital of the Philippines, Manila the only state university in the region, I'm proud to say that this more than 100 years old university holds the largest and biggest library in the local city. I usually go there every day during school days especially when there is major research, projects, and dissertation. I and my classmates have tons of happy memories to reminisce inside our library because we had a lot of activities to do so like group study, home works, presentations and reviews for exams. What makes this library special to me there is a place they called "Art Room" a very unique space for those people who want design, draw, and paint because there is a special table for individuals where you can plot your drawings and express your feelings thru art. It's also my past time during long breaks at school and our favorite place to hang out with my friends because in this place you can feel peace of mind and secure that all information that you're looking it's just behind the bookshelves.

Submitted by Mohd_tom1990 on Tue, 23/07/2019 - 20:19

In my library school if want borrow books you can take one book if when you bring book you can take anthor one. Allso need library card to borrow book.

Submitted by gedi on Mon, 22/07/2019 - 04:28

yes there is library in my village and i go once a week also i take the form of application to barrow some books

Submitted by salehisalehi65 on Mon, 15/07/2019 - 09:45

yes, we've, but i think its better never inter to this library, because its book refer to world war duration and all are rubbish, well although we are in thirth world fuc... country name is iran, colonized by islam religion from 1400 years before

Submitted by Chue on Sun, 14/07/2019 - 09:46

Yes,I have.I go there once a week.I lend the books that I want to read and learn about my specialization and also take old questions to study and ask for copying outside.Then, I pay back them to the library staff.

Submitted by thanhtam on Mon, 08/07/2019 - 00:28

Yes, I have a local library. I had it when I came to library 2 months ago. I like it too much. Because it's easy for me to borrow some books so fast. When I studied at school, I went there one/week to find book for studying. Sometimes I read funny stories. And now in this summar vacation, I off schooll so I have a lot of free time. So I usually go to library three times/week.