Finding the library

Listen to a conversation about the university library to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Student: Hi. Excuse me.

Student B: Yes?

Student: Where's the library?

Student B: The library? It's next to the registration office.

Student: Ah ... sorry, I'm new. Where's the registration office?

Student B: No problem. See the big building over there?

Student: Yes.

Student B: OK, so that's the lecture theatre. Next to that, on the right, is the registration office. And next to that is the library.

Student: I see. Thanks!

Student: Hello?

Librarian: Hello.

Student: Is this the library?

Librarian: Yes, it is. Quiet, please.

Student: Oh, sorry. Thank you.

Librarian: Can I help you?

Student: Er, yes, please. I want to borrow some books. What do I need?

Librarian: You need a library card. Here's the application form. You can take up to six books maximum today.

Student: OK. Six books.

Librarian: Yes. You have two weeks to read the books. Then you bring them back.

Student: And if I'm late?

Librarian: Every day you are late there is a fee of fifty pence.

Student: OK, 50p a day. Er, anything else?

Librarian: Mobile phones must be switched off in the library. You can bring your laptop, but please use headphones to watch videos or listen to music.

Student: OK, great.

Librarian: And you can't bring food or drink.

Student: No food, no drink. And ...?

Librarian: And please speak quietly! People are working here.

Student: Oh! Oh, OK. Thank you.

Librarian: You're welcome.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Roles

• anonymous user role (no expiration)

Submitted by nurpais (not verified) on Wed, 12/05/2021 - 17:35

Yes, we have a local library but nobody goes there

Submitted by Munirah Saad 20 on Sun, 02/05/2021 - 23:18

yes there is in my city but I never visit it because reading it was not famous habit in my country but now it is ,so I will visit it when covied-19 move
Profile picture for user PuenteD

Submitted by PuenteD on Sun, 02/05/2021 - 17:29

Yes, We have a local Library, but by the pandemic situation it is closed. When I had visit the library, I liked to read the history books

Submitted by zezosameh on Tue, 27/04/2021 - 21:21

Unfortunately, I don't have a local library, but I hope to have one in my city, as I like to read books and I will go there many times.

Submitted by tinekeorie on Mon, 19/04/2021 - 10:27

In my town there is a local library and until two years ago I often went there to borrow books. Now I have an e-reader and so I'm not going anymore.

Submitted by henrik on Thu, 08/04/2021 - 19:21

My city has a local library but the pandemic situation closed down. In now days my College have a digital library.

Submitted by DarwinM on Wed, 07/04/2021 - 01:40

I don't have a local library. But before the pandemic I used to go to study at the central library of my university. I enjoy that atmosphere. I usually went there almost three times a week with a few friends. We usually studied, prepared for tests and helped each other.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Tue, 06/04/2021 - 04:03

No, I regularly go to the university library for study. I'm like reading in calm place. In this covid time I usually study in home and most of the time I spend on internet to read subject related books.

Submitted by Kunthea on Thu, 01/04/2021 - 10:05

There is no a library near here. I used to go the library when I was a college student. But now I read books at home and do the research on the internet. Reading books, listening to the music and working on the assignments with group in the library brought me a good feeling and I felt more calm and could concentrate on my studying well. I miss that time so much!

Submitted by victor.07 on Wed, 31/03/2021 - 21:03

Yes, I have a local library but I do not go often. In it students borrow books

Submitted by Nader Ahmed on Mon, 29/03/2021 - 14:55

Yes, I have one of the best and oldest libraries around the world, it's Alexandria library, I went there many times, my brother was working there.

Submitted by tvkien on Fri, 26/03/2021 - 04:03

When I was a student, there is a local library near my university. I often went to the library three a week after finish class. In there, I read books

Submitted by SaraMessa on Wed, 24/03/2021 - 17:56

Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Mon, 22/03/2021 - 13:17

I visited a library today and found there were few visitors. Very quiet and somehow I felt happy. ;)

Submitted by Veronikka on Sun, 21/03/2021 - 18:25

Actually, I don't have a local library near to my home, but when I was a student I have it. I went to the library once a week for a book. I remember I liked to read books about the British literature, and short stories for practising my reading skills. Nowadays, I read books and news on the Internet, because I think I can find the most update information on it.

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Wed, 17/03/2021 - 22:15

Yes, I do. I don't visit library very often, now I can find all what I need in Internet.

Submitted by Minh on Wed, 17/03/2021 - 17:01

That is an interesting questions. Reading books is my cup of tea. We have a number of libraries around my house. Therefore, I am in the seven heaven, I usually go there twice a weeks. I am keen on reading all kind of books. Fortunately, I am quite reading science books the most, so I have read books and enjoy peaceful. Moreover, I mostly concentrate to think and create a plenty my projects. From of my view, if people enjoy reading books, it give you more benefit than you could imagine.

Submitted by TIa vinaka on Sat, 13/03/2021 - 02:38

Yes there is a library in my town. I go there about once every 3 month to borrow books. there is no wifi. when I went to library in Australia or NZ, there are free wifi is normally available at all libraries. and some have cafes. so I had a coffee, using free wifi to look for a job, to search for tips ,to make resume and more. I stayed library much longer than in my country. I miss libraries in Australia and NZ.
Hi TIa vinaka ! I am an interesting reading books, too. It really sounds goods to hear from you. I am keen on reading books. I hope we can discuss about all kinds of books and your ideas.

Submitted by Giuliana on Mon, 08/03/2021 - 19:19

Actually there's not a local library near to my house for that reason i don't go often to library but i would like go
Profile picture for user mirtha

Submitted by mirtha on Mon, 08/03/2021 - 19:18

Yes, I have a local Library. I go there once a week. I can read or listening books, I can connect my phone to the internet or use a computer and I can borrow books, movies, video games and musical instruments.
Hi mirtha !. I am keen on reading books. I usually go there twice a week. I like to discuss with you some books that you read and also like to hear your ideas. Thanks

Submitted by Agnaldo Penides on Sun, 07/03/2021 - 20:50

hello everyone...there is no library near my house, it´s about 20 minutes from here.

Submitted by RicardoRodrigu… on Wed, 03/03/2021 - 01:31

hi. when I go to library I go to read or investigation.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Fri, 26/02/2021 - 12:44

Yes, there is a local library where I live, which is helpful. :)

Submitted by Aless on Fri, 26/02/2021 - 00:27

Yes, there is a library in my city. I went sometimes for homework

Submitted by Turko on Mon, 15/02/2021 - 06:00

Yes we have a library at universty,but this is so pretty old and it havent enough book.

Submitted by Nasywa Shiyami… on Fri, 12/02/2021 - 02:21

Yes, there is a library in where i live, but i didn't often go to the library in my city because i just stay at home when i am back at home. I stay in other city for taking taking my undergraduate program. Usually, I often to go to campus library to finished my homework or just for waiting the next classes. *please correct my english, because your correction helps me a lot to proofread and improve my english. Thank You !!!

Submitted by Brona on Thu, 11/02/2021 - 22:02

Unfortunately all the libraries near to my place are closed for good due to funding problems. And so I don't go to libraries as such. But I would have surely visited one if they were open.

Submitted by Azraa Eltayeb on Thu, 04/02/2021 - 09:44

Yes, we have a library here, but it's a little bit far from my house, it takes approximately 1 and half hour. I usually go to the library to read academic articles to enhance my knowledge and improve my PhD proposal.

Submitted by Brenda Patrici… on Wed, 27/01/2021 - 21:54

Yes, there is a library at my university, I go to there once a week, I always brings book to read at home.

Submitted by LibCat on Sun, 24/01/2021 - 15:17

Yes we have a local libray in our area. I couldn't go there often because i am a student in a Universty and i usually use the universty library. In there i borrow books, study for lesson&exams. The libraries are the most important building in a city. because they are a information center. they give free sources, wifi and books. I want to be a librarian as soon as. I will be.

Submitted by Leila77 on Thu, 21/01/2021 - 10:55

There is a local library where I live, but I don't go there, because it's a small library and there aren't many choices of books. However, when I was student I used to go to the library of the university. I regualry borrowed books about different subjects.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Wed, 20/01/2021 - 12:47

Yes, I like to browse the shelf. ;)

Submitted by Joselyn15 on Wed, 20/01/2021 - 01:33

Yes, I do. Before the pandemic, I hardly ever because the library is so far from my house. I search information for my career.

Submitted by In on Tue, 19/01/2021 - 09:51

yes, I have a wonderful library. I use to go every few months and borrow books.

Submitted by IrinAristova on Sat, 16/01/2021 - 18:24

Yes, i do. When i was a student I often used library. But now I like buying books or sometimes look for a book in the internet.

Submitted by Ngu Wah on Wed, 13/01/2021 - 13:36

Yes, it is in my local area. But I have never been yet there. Mostly I am reading book at home in my free time.

Submitted by said m on Mon, 11/01/2021 - 10:32

hi.i am librarian in iran. i like my job and that is very superb.when i was a child i loved library

Submitted by German on Mon, 11/01/2021 - 01:04

Yes,I do. I have a library near, about 25 minutes to my house. I often go to the library in order to advance in my master final tesis and I used to take out books but now for the pandemic it´s not posible.

Submitted by Jaouad fathi on Thu, 07/01/2021 - 17:01

Yes, I have a library in my city but I don't go there

Submitted by abdiaziz matan on Thu, 07/01/2021 - 07:21

We do have a local library in our country, but it's not my hobbies to go to the it and read books. I prefer reading books in my home rather than going to the library.

Submitted by karinaelizabeth on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 23:54

Yes, near my neighborhood there is a library called BiblioRecreo this is a project between a library and the super center El Recreo. My daughter and I go there every 15 or 30 days it depends on the quantity of books that we had borrowed.

Submitted by Gilda Di Biagio on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 17:43

In my city there is a local library, where I ofthen went when I was at university.

Submitted by Theint Theint Phyo on Sun, 27/12/2020 - 15:39

I have a local library.l go twice a week.I search finished thesies book,other knowledge books.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Sun, 27/12/2020 - 04:08

Yes, I have a local big library. There is a lots of books and journals available here. You can borrow 3 Books for one week. Everyday you are late there is fee of Rs.10. I am a university student so I usually use university library. There is enough for me. In university library no one can have drinks or food. If you feel hungry you should go to canteen. A canteen where I spent most of my time with friends.

Submitted by glen on Sun, 20/12/2020 - 19:54

Yes we have a local library it's near my house but I don't go to the library.

Submitted by Sadflute07 on Thu, 17/12/2020 - 20:40

No we don't have local library but when I travel to any country I used to visit their local library