Question tags

Do you know how to use question tags like is he and didn't you?

Look at these examples to see how question tags are used.

You haven't seen this film, have you?
Your sister lives in Spain, doesn't she?
He can't drive, can he?

Try this exercise to test your grammar.

Grammar test 1

Question tags: Grammar test 1

Read the explanation to learn more.

Grammar explanation

We can add question tags like isn't it?, can you? or didn't they? to a statement to make it into a question. Question tags are more common in speaking than writing.

We often use question tags when we expect the listener to agree with our statement. In this case, when the statement is positive, we use a negative question tag.

She's a doctor, isn't she?
Yesterday was so much fun, wasn't it?

If the statement is negative, we use a positive question tag.

He isn't here, is he?
The trains are never on time, are they?
Nobody has called for me, have they?

If we are sure or almost sure that the listener will confirm that our statement is correct, we say the question tag with a falling intonation. If we are a bit less sure, we say the question tag with a rising intonation.

Formation

If there is an auxiliary verb in the statement, we use it to form the question tag.

I don't need to finish this today, do I?
James is working on that, isn't he?
Your parents have retired, haven't they?
The phone didn't ring, did it?
It was raining that day, wasn't it?
Your mum hadn't met him before, had she?

Sometimes there is no auxiliary verb already in the statement. For example, when:

... the verb in the statement is present simple or past simple and is positive. Here we use don't, doesn't or didn't:

Jenni eats cheese, doesn't she?
I said that already, didn't I?

... the verb in the statement is to be in the present simple or past simple. In this case we use to be to make the question tag:

The bus stop's over there, isn't it?
None of those customers were happy, were they?

... the verb in the statement is a modal verb. Here we use the modal verb to make the question tag:

They could hear me, couldn't they?
You won't tell anyone, will you?

If the main verb or auxiliary verb in the statement is am, the positive question tag is am I? but the negative question tag is usually aren't I?:

I'm never on time, am I?
I'm going to get an email with the details, aren't I?

Do this exercise to test your grammar again.

Grammar test 2

Question tags: Grammar test 2

Hello again abymonly,

Yes, that's correct:

Let's stay a while longer, shall we?

However, note that the use of shall we as a tag is generally quite unusual. It's grammatically possible, but it is disappearing from English slowly and can sound very formal or old-fashioned.

The LearnEnglish Team

Submitted by Daria_Dana_off on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 10:42

What's the question tag for "Let's go to the cinema this evening"?

Hello Daria_Dana_off,

'shall we' is usually used as a question tag in such circumstances.

In the US, although people would understand this, they'd probably find this use of 'shall' a bit strange. There I expect people would say something like 'Let's go to the movies this evening, OK?'

All the best

Submitted by lima9795 on Sun, 05/07/2020 - 13:59

Is it correct to use 'no' that is equivalent to either right ! OR question tag For example: Maybe you had a dream. No? The election is next week, no? equivalent sentences Maybe you had a dream. Hadn't you? The election is next week, right I know definitely using 'no' for this kind of sentences is not right but I've found this kind of usage on some youtube videos so how acceptable is it to use ''no'' !

Hello Ilma9795,

Yes, people sometimes use 'right' and 'no' as question tags. In my experience, 'no' is much less common that 'right', but think it's fine to use both, though I would generally recommend 'right' over 'no' and I'd recommend not using either one very much, at least in British English. In India, where usage of 'no', for example, could be more common, I would follow the usage there.

It's also important to recognise the forms taught on this page, as they are used quite frequently, especially in British English.

All the best

Submitted by ndtungg on Tue, 30/06/2020 - 15:30

In tag questions, the choice and tense of the (i)................... are determined by the verb phrase in the (ii)........................ clause. A less (iii)......................type of tag question is that in which both the statement and the (iv)................ are positive. This tag always has a rising nucleus on the operator, which indicates the speaker’s arrival at a conclusion by inference, or by recalling what has been said. can sb helps me w this. many thnk
Hi ndtungg, (i) is probably 'verb' and (ii) is probably 'main'. The question tag (e.g. 'is he?') contains a verb, which is in the same tense as the verb in the statement (e.g. 'He isn't here, is he?'). (iii) I guess is 'common', and (iv) is 'tag'. This type of question tag isn't covered in the explanation on this page. Best wishes, Jonathan The LearnEnglish Team

Submitted by Cuan on Fri, 26/06/2020 - 02:40

What will be the question tag for: you used to stay up at night

Hello Cuan,

The question tag for sentences with used to is did, so the sentence with the question tag would be as follows:

You used to stay up at night, didn't you?

Submitted by koshi on Thu, 11/06/2020 - 02:50

I am not selected for this competition, am I ? or I am not selected for this competition, are I ?

Hello koshi

The first one. Please don't post your comments more than once.

All the best

Thank you for your help. I'm sorry for asking twice.

Submitted by Bidisha on Fri, 22/05/2020 - 15:04

Hello We have a lot of work,haven't we? We have a lot of work,don't we? And She seldom comes here,does she? She seldom comes here,doesn't she? Thank u

Submitted by OlaIELTS on Mon, 18/05/2020 - 04:06

It's really remarkable.

Submitted by Rajat Verma on Thu, 14/05/2020 - 16:03

What will be the question tag for:- `I am working hard on this book'

Hello Rajat Verma,

When the main verb in the sentence is am, we use are in the tag. Thus, the correct question tag here is aren't I.

Submitted by sakinkadery on Tue, 12/05/2020 - 16:53

I have a question, haven't I? I have a question, don't I? Which one is correct?

Hello sakinkadery,

When have is used as a main verb, as in your example, the correct auxiliary for negation, question formation and for use in tags is do. The second example is correct.

Submitted by Henok17 on Thu, 07/05/2020 - 15:41

Hello What is the difference between this two ? You are a pilot, aren't you ? aren't you a pilot ? I can't find any differences.

Submitted by Peter M. on Fri, 08/05/2020 - 06:51

In reply to by Henok17

Hello Henok17,

The second sentence is a normal question. It does not tell us what the speaker expects; it only asks for information.

The first sentence is called a tag question. It is still a question, but it also tells us something about what the speaker thinks. The speaker believes that the other person is a pilot, and is asking for confirmation. In other words, the speaker will be surprised if the answer is not 'Yes, I am'.

Submitted by nguyen huu hoa on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 16:34

hello He hardly has anything nowadays , does he ? or He hardly has anything nowadays , has he ? thanks

Submitted by Peter M. on Wed, 06/05/2020 - 07:42

In reply to by nguyen huu hoa

Hello nguyen huu hoa,

We only use have/has in tag questions when it is used as an auxiliary verb in the main clause: a perfect form (have/has + verb3: have gone, has been etc) or have got.

In your example, has is the main verb, so does is needed in the tag. The first sentence is correct.

Submitted by Sariyya0909 on Mon, 04/05/2020 - 15:06

Hello I think they will come to the school, won't they? I dont think they will come to school, will they Could you explain it please?

Submitted by Peter M. on Tue, 05/05/2020 - 07:13

In reply to by Sariyya0909

Hello Sariyya0909,

When the main clause contains an affirmative verb, the tag question is normally negative. Thus, in the first example we have will come and so in the tag we have won't they.

In the second example, we still have will come but there is a negative verb introducing it (don't think) and this means that we use an affirmative form in the tag (will they).

It doesn't matter if you say I don't think they will or I thinnk they won't:

I think they won't come to school, will they?

Submitted by Celesiia on Thu, 30/04/2020 - 16:04

Is it Don't forget your appointment, will you? And is it Paul will join the football team, won't he?

Submitted by Kirk on Thu, 30/04/2020 - 16:13

In reply to by Celesiia

Hello Celesiia

It's pretty rare to use a question tag with imperative statements, but, yes, you could say the first sentence. You can read a little more about this on this page.

The second sentence is also correct.

All the best

Submitted by aurora kastanias on Wed, 29/04/2020 - 15:45

Hello. I am confused about the use of question tags with "he wouldn't have allowed it" is it "would he have?" or "would have he?" I guess whatever rule applies would extend to should and could?

Hello aurora kastanias,

In question tags we repeat only the modal verb, not the perfect have. Thus, the tag would be as follows:

He wouldn't have allowed it, would he?

The rule applies to all perfect modals - should have, could have etc.

I think it's simple way of making learners understand by saying,"when you have two helping verbs in the sentences you get the first helping verb in the tag question." Pl correct if it needs.

Submitted by Dusan on Tue, 21/04/2020 - 21:51

Is it correct to say: I am going to be late, ain't I?

Hello Dusan,

Ain't is generally found in US English. It is very informal and may not be appropriate in some contexts, particularly in writing, but it is not incorrect.

Submitted by Gaba on Tue, 14/04/2020 - 06:39

Managers had an interesting meeting, didn`t they? or Managers had an interesting meeting, had not they?

Submitted by Anastasiaaaa on Thu, 02/04/2020 - 11:54

Hi! For example I have a sentence : I have got a bike,...? How to make this tag : "don't I" or "haven't I"?

Submitted by Kirk on Thu, 02/04/2020 - 14:03

In reply to by Anastasiaaaa

Hello Anastasiaaaa

Both of those are correct in this case.

All the best

Submitted by Baxtyar on Tue, 24/03/2020 - 13:58

Can we say: We shall play well in the game, shan't we?

Hello Baxtyar

This would sound very unusual nowadays. For one thing, 'shall' is not used to speak about the future; it is used to make offers or suggestions. Secondly, 'shan't' is almost never used in ordinary speaking or writing.

A more common way of expressing this idea would be 'We're going to play well, aren't we?' or 'We're going to play well, right?'

All the best

Submitted by Baxtyar on Mon, 23/03/2020 - 03:52

So why do English reuse "ought" in question tag for "ought to", for example, You ought to stay indoor, oughtn't you? Isn't right that what is true for goose, it is so for the gander? What is the difference between "ought to" and "need to"? Aren't they both semi-modals? Wasn't "need" reused in tags either old English or various dialects? Thanks.

Hello Baxtyar,

Need is a verb which is in the process of change. In the past, need was a full modal verb and its grammar was in line with other modal verbs. Thus, questions were formed with inversion:

Need you do that?

However, in modern English this sounds highly archaic and unnatural. Instead, we form questions as we would with other non-modal verbs such as want:

Do you need to do that?

This is the reason why need is not used in question tags in modern English. However, in some aspects need still has apsects of its modal verb roots. We can form a negative with or without an auxiliary (don't need or needn't) and can make a perfect form (need have), for example.

Ought is undergoing a similar process, but it still retains most of its modal grammar and can be used in question tags. In the future, I expect it will follow the same path as need.

Submitted by Baxtyar on Sat, 21/03/2020 - 04:29

What is the question tag for: (You need to study hard)? Is (need to) ever reused in the tag in British accent, American, Australian and so on?

Hello Baxyar,

For sentences with need we form question tags with do:

You need to study hard, do/don't you?

We don't use need in question tags.

Submitted by Bharati on Sun, 23/02/2020 - 06:12

Hello, When question tag is added to a simple sentence ,what form does it take grammatically? Does the entire sentence become compound sentence having two co-ordinate clauses: one, the simple sentence and other, the question tag? Thanks

Submitted by Peter M. on Fri, 28/02/2020 - 08:22

In reply to by Bharati

Hello Bharati,

A tag question is a dependent clause attached to the main clause, with a pronoun referring back to a noun in the main clause. Downing uses the term 'abbreviated clause' and defines tag questions as follows:

Question tags are not independent clauses, but they do require a response, and are highly interactive. Structurally, interrogatives are abbreviated yes/no interrogatives consisting of an operator (either positive or negative) and a pronoun, which repeats the subject or substitutes for it. Question tags are attached to one of the following clause types: Of these, the declarative is by far the most common.

Thanks Peter, If question tags are classified as dependent clause, then obviously the sentence becomes a complex sentence, isn't it. So, which category (Noun/Adjective/Adverb)of dependent clause will question tag fall in? Thanks
Hello Peter, May i seek your response on my clarification regarding Tag question. Thanks

Submitted by MariaJudith on Thu, 13/02/2020 - 19:17

This topic is a little bit confusing but now I can understand better than the last week.