A morning briefing

Listen to a morning briefing to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Hi, everyone. I know you're all busy so I'll keep this briefing quick. I have some important information about a change in the management team. As you already know, our head of department, James Watson, is leaving his position at the end of this week. His replacement is starting at the end of the next month. In the meantime, we'll continue with our projects as usual.

I have two more quick points. Firstly, there will be some improvements made to the staff car park next month for a few weeks. It will be closed during that time.

Don't worry, we've found a solution. We can use the local church car park until our own one is ready. If you arrive before 8.30 a.m., please use our small car park on Brown Street, and if you arrive after that, you should go directly to the church car park. It's only a five-minute walk away. But they need it in the evenings, so you have to leave before 6 p.m. Sorry about that – I know how much you all love working late!

The other thing I wanted to tell you about is that the canteen has now introduced a cashless payment system. So, you can't use cash for payments any more. You can pay directly with your smartphone or you can pay using your company ID card. The total amount put on your company ID card comes off your salary at the end of each month.

OK. That's it? Are there any questions?

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Sun, 11/04/2021 - 04:09

I give information and instructions to my colleagues and friends about study and other many things. When my friends feels any problems then they seek to help by me. I never disappoint freind to help.

Submitted by tvkien on Fri, 09/04/2021 - 03:41

In my current job, I sometimes give the instruction for my co-worker about solution of their tasks. And I also give the information for my customers if they want to need about our projects

Submitted by Majidaa909 on Wed, 31/03/2021 - 22:15

In the future I will to give a lot informations and instructions for my family and friends because lam young man new I give informations and introductions in my friends and young brother.

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Sun, 28/03/2021 - 23:46

Who do you have to give information and instructions to? What about? I have to give instruction to my colleagues, when I went to holidays.

Submitted by TIa vinaka on Sun, 28/03/2021 - 02:50

I give informations and instructions to my mum for improving her health and anti-aging but she usually doesn't follow.

Submitted by sanazmajidi on Wed, 24/03/2021 - 09:56

actually I usually don't give information or instructions to anyone because I'm too young to do that and I don't work with people just freelance and for my own. but sometimes I gibe information to my friends or family about daily stuff.

Submitted by Giuliana on Mon, 15/03/2021 - 16:01

Actually I don't know because i don't work with others people for to give information or instructions but i think i give information for a lot of things of a daily life or intructions for a do something and cook cookies or another thing. But honestly sometimes i receipt more instructions or information than i give. Is a thing that i give and i receipt

Submitted by Majidaa909 on Sun, 14/03/2021 - 14:22

Good morning guys.

Submitted by Aye Thet Pan on Tue, 02/03/2021 - 16:16

I give information and instructions to my Dad. You must stop smoking and must to do some exercises for your health!

Submitted by vespinosa10 on Tue, 23/02/2021 - 18:49

In my school when I am the leader I must give the information to my classmates etc.

Submitted by Wevellyn on Sat, 20/02/2021 - 16:34

Last week I needed to give instructions about my job, because now I'm part of other department and my boss said that I need to give my taks for another people.

Submitted by Almira on Fri, 19/02/2021 - 14:16

Currently, I am unemployed so I only give my instructions to my pet

Submitted by Aqila on Thu, 18/02/2021 - 02:08

The question is a bit difficult

Submitted by Syafiqah on Thu, 18/02/2021 - 01:23

The question is bit confusing but I can understand it...the question also easy and challenging.

Submitted by kautsar on Thu, 04/02/2021 - 08:17

i had given instruction and information to my old high school's friends to go to badminton hall for meeting and playing together since it's been a long time

Submitted by Leila77 on Tue, 02/02/2021 - 12:54

I have to give information and instructions to my students, as I am a teacher. give them information about the courses and istructions about the exams.

Submitted by senaguner on Tue, 02/02/2021 - 11:53

I do not work. So I give information and instructions only my children. You should study your lessons. You have to your homework and must go to bed early etc.

Submitted by María_Bucio on Mon, 01/02/2021 - 17:03

I learn today, how give information! well, it is not dificoult but, the oral comprension is difficoult to me sometimes.

Submitted by Sara Kalafat on Fri, 29/01/2021 - 14:29

Our team leader in my last job used to give us instructions and information about our performance

Submitted by Dario Heredia on Mon, 25/01/2021 - 14:20

the contect and the activities are pretty nice thank you i feel be improving my listening skills for further periods

Submitted by German on Fri, 22/01/2021 - 01:27

I have to give instructions sometimes to my customers and to my team work

Submitted by corina cocco on Thu, 21/01/2021 - 13:21

He spoke very clearly, I can understand what he says, although I think I have to learn new vocabulary, i am happy with this page.

Submitted by Ykilic34 on Sun, 10/01/2021 - 10:14

Good day Can we use ‘successor’ instead of ‘replacement’?
Profile picture for user Kirk

Submitted by Kirk on Sun, 10/01/2021 - 13:19

In reply to by Ykilic34

Hello Ykilic34,

Yes, 'successor' would work well here too. Nice suggestion!

Submitted by Minh on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 18:36

Well, I want to give information and instruction for my children that they should to go to bed earlier. Because they have to come back school for learning. It's crucial thing that it makes both of us to go to school on time.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Thu, 31/12/2020 - 07:07

Yes, I give instructions and information to my yougers, teen agers about teaching. My mother gives me instructions a lot. She said," You wake up early in the morning and then go to gym after that you should go school daily.

Submitted by BryanSR on Wed, 30/12/2020 - 19:46

Hi, everyone my name is Bryan and today I've learned new vocabulary as: Briefing, cames off, usual, and canteen. I hope to learn a lot of important things about English. Thank you and good look to everyone.

Submitted by maharosa on Wed, 30/12/2020 - 19:17

hi, As I am a manager of a consulting office, i have to give informations to my clients about a new laws and standards. and i give instructions to the emloyees for improving the work

Submitted by mhdoamaral on Mon, 28/12/2020 - 13:20

At my home, I’m used to give information and instructions to my child, he’s only 2 years old and is learning how to speak. At my work, I’m used to give information about oil market and prices and instructions about how to analyze oil market data using statistical models and data science technics using computer language coding to my coworkers. In the past, I used to give instructions to my younger sister about the things that she was studying at school.

Submitted by glen on Sun, 20/12/2020 - 22:18

As, the next person to the head of the department, I will give information to my colleague/team and other employees in my department about the resignation and the last day of our boss/head in the company and newly hired of the department will start. I will give instruction to the employees' about the temporary car park while the closure of the company's car park. The place, the time allotted for. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you

Submitted by lean on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 11:11

Hello I'd like to say about preparation task. I think "a replacement" isn't a person. It mean an action or condition. So I would write " an action or condition as a result somebody or something will take the place of another one ". Pls correct me if I'm wrong :-)))
Profile picture for user Jonathan R

Submitted by Jonathan R on Tue, 15/12/2020 - 15:24

In reply to by lean

Hi lean,

A replacement can be an action, but it can be a person as well :)

The Cambridge Dictionary's third definition is: "someone who does a job instead of someone else", and that's the meaning here.

Jonathan

Submitted by Emma_Torres175 on Wed, 09/12/2020 - 19:46

Well, when my parents arrive I have to inform them of what I did all day, for example I did my homework at 10am.

Submitted by fofanaML on Sun, 06/12/2020 - 22:11

I have to give information on the progress of the monitoring of my activity to my teacher to better see how I am progressing in my learning..

Submitted by anettochka on Wed, 02/12/2020 - 09:10

I have to give information about my work progress to my boss. Moreover, I volunteered to white an instructions about developing, monitoring and deployment for my work group.

Submitted by Sergio1994 on Sun, 29/11/2020 - 17:03

the difference of instructions and giving information, I didnt understand too much, but I did the exercise three more times and I understood

Submitted by Davrbek on Sat, 28/11/2020 - 11:04

It`s so much and It`s very very benefictally to me

Submitted by Roya on Tue, 24/11/2020 - 08:16

when I worked as a receptionist at a dental clinic,our manager gave us the changes of information and instructions everyday.She behaved so tough and didn't understand her employees. She's made the stressful environment.

Submitted by m-8808736 on Sun, 08/11/2020 - 03:00

Thank you and nice !

Submitted by cocof1b2 on Sat, 07/11/2020 - 14:26

Sometimes, I have to give information and instructions to workmates, if your manager ask to do sometings, just to do it , don't worry about it is wrong or right.

Submitted by yusra on Wed, 28/10/2020 - 05:11

Our instructor at University gives us some information and instruction on the discussion assignment. That information and instruction about when we should complete our assignment and what we should write in it.

Submitted by Pola on Sun, 25/10/2020 - 16:42

When I was working the sales manager at duty free I gave more information and instructions for beginners at work so I everyday I had been directing for keeping this work in a best .

Submitted by Dong on Sun, 25/10/2020 - 01:57

hello. May I ask a question? I see the answer of question 5 in Tast 1 is that True. “ There will be no parking after 6 p.m.”. I though it is false since I've only heard "church's car park" will be use after 6 pm. Does it mean the other one that small car park on Brown Street still can park their car ?

Hello Dong,

I think you are right about this. As you say, these people cannot use the church car park after 6 p.m., but the small car park on Brown Street should still be available.

I've made a note for us to fix this. Thanks very much for taking the time to point this out to us, and I'm sorry for the confusion!