An online discussion forum

Learn how to write posts on an online forum.

Reading text

Katie20

Can you believe it? Someone in another group asked me to write some pages of their website in English and French. But they can't pay because 'I'm starting this business with no money.' He said he's a professional photographer and he can do some photos for me instead. Am I wrong to be angry?

Asher87

Nope! I’d be angry too

JayCee99

I can't help but here's the link to a friend's website. He is a French–English writer and translator www.franco-anglo-translations.com/About

Carla62

Er … asking people to work for free … not cool!

Asher87

^^^ This!

JayCee99

Oops! I thought you were looking for someone. Sorry for the misunderstanding smiley

Carla62

I can't pay my rent with photographs, sorry

Katie20

Exactly!

Mylo45

True, but professional photos cost a lot of money, especially if you're getting married. Sorry I don't speak French or I would do it cheeky

Katie20

Here's a link to his photography if anyone wants the job www.billsphoto.com/portfolio As you can see the website needs some work … wink

Carla62

@Mylo45 Maybe, but people always ask writers to work for free #PayMe

Katie20

Yep, if I need photos OK but I prefer to get paid with money

Tips

1. Writing in online forums is more like speaking.

2. You don’t have to put full stops (.) at the end of sentences.

3. Use ^^^ to show you’re talking about the post above yours.

4. Use @ and a person’s name to show clearly who you’re replying to.

5. You can use emojis.  cool

6. Stay calm and be polite. Some people get angry in online discussions but try to avoid that.

Submitted by ademyonet on Sun, 19/04/2020 - 08:34

I join discussion forums, because they are funny and also they give up so informations. At the stuations of discussion we can say our opinions freely. Others can say own opinions freely, too. Finally, everybody can speak freely and explain own opinions. Beauty is this. hurray beauty!

Submitted by NicollGonz13 on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 16:10

I had an opportunity to speak in English by call for an interview and it went very well, I had a lot of nerves and a few mistakes but it was a great exercise for my learning, thanks for the advice.

Hello NicollGonz13

Fantastic -- good for you! Thanks very much for letting us know and we hope you get the job!

All the best

Submitted by Lauracastanos on Mon, 06/04/2020 - 13:17

Forums are not fun for me

Submitted by Austin on Thu, 19/03/2020 - 11:29

I didn't join any discussion forums because I am an introvert person, I rarely express my opinions, but I think maybe I can try it, it is good to improve English.

Hi Austin,

It's not easy when a person is naturally an introvert, but the more you practise, the more you will improve. Keep it up!

Submitted by Magedelabd on Mon, 02/03/2020 - 05:25

Unfortunately I don't share forum chatting because I have no time to do fo so

Submitted by Dariusz on Sat, 08/02/2020 - 18:47

I don't join in many discussion forums, but I don't know why, especially this is a good way to learn English, I must to improve oneself and find interesting forum to discuss.

Submitted by MaryaSun on Sun, 02/02/2020 - 14:53

i sometimes join in a discussions forums and it usually happen on facebook post. I join part in discussion forum about pubblics competitions for teaching, or in pubblics competitions for become soldiers, or i join part in discussion forum about the disabilities of my city. I am always polite and i alway try to avoid quarrels and i always help the others who need my help.

Submitted by shahhoseini on Mon, 27/01/2020 - 16:26

I rarely attend a forum. I prefer using social media like Telegram, Facebook, WhatsApp and so on.

Submitted by Odeta21 on Mon, 13/01/2020 - 10:27

Does anyone know where to find EASY / SIMPLE English movies for beginners ? I need simple and good moviese, thank you !

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Sun, 29/12/2019 - 09:28

I'm going to join in a face-to-face discussion forum next month. I need to prepare for that! o(;-_-;)o

Submitted by amit_ck on Thu, 26/12/2019 - 08:56

*We were a bit disappointed with / by / in the hotel Which preposition is correct to use with disappointed there?

Hello amit_ck,

All of those prepositions can be used after disappointed and none of them would be incorrect.

I think disappointed in is most often used about people, and disappointed by for results. In my view, disappointed with is the best-sounding of the three in this context, though all are possible.

Hi Peter, Thanks for your explanation, I didn't actually know such a vatiation followed by "disappointed". By the way, what about "dissapointed at" ?

Hello Rafaela1

'at' is also used with 'disappointed' in some cases -- you can see one in this dictionary entry. Like Peter, I'd say 'about', 'in', 'by' and also 'with' are the most commonly used prepositions after it.

Hope this helps!

All the best

Submitted by amit_ck on Tue, 19/11/2019 - 08:00

I am confused about "in the bed" and "on the bed" and "sleep in the bed" or "Sleep on the bed" could you please help me about these and give me some simply example.

Hello amit_ck

In general, we use 'on the bed' to talk about something that is on top of the bed, often not under the sheets. 'in bed' usually refers to being on the bed and under the sheets or blanket, and for someone who's staying there. For example, when a person has gone to bed to sleep, or when a person is sick and resting, we'd normally say they are 'in bed'. But if you leave your shirt on top of the bed, we'd say it's 'on the bed'.

Hope that helps.

All the best

Submitted by Maksmatt on Sat, 16/11/2019 - 12:50

I never joined a discussion in a forum. I like to see people in the eyes who I'm talking to.

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Sat, 02/11/2019 - 12:01

About an online forum, not really. Becuase it's sometimes difficult for me to discuss with strangers wiithout non-verbal communication, which is given to misunderstandings. ˉ̞̭ ( ›◡ु‹ ) ˄̻ ̊

Submitted by Ola Jamal on Thu, 17/10/2019 - 19:56

Hello, A portfolio is examples of your work "for" showing to other people. A translator is someone whose job is to change a text "into" a different language. Is it right if we use "to" instead of "for" and "into" in these sentences?

Submitted by Peter M. on Fri, 18/10/2019 - 06:56

In reply to by Ola Jamal

Hello Ola James,

You could not replace for with to in the first sentence. You could say ...to show to other people, but I think for is better here.

We generally use into rather than to after the verb 'translate', but I think to can be used in some dialects. Note that we say into when we are talking about a language, but to when we give the actual translation:

I translated the text into Polish.

I translated 'How are you?' to 'Jak się masz?'

Submitted by Huyen on Thu, 05/09/2019 - 15:17

If I'm free and a topic is interesting, I will join the forum. I can express my think about it. Moreover, I can get some advice. In the case of no free time, I never join the forum. It's a waste of time to join it.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Sun, 25/08/2019 - 16:07

I only join in discussion forums about subjects within the area of my interests.

Submitted by Ifada on Mon, 19/08/2019 - 05:20

Just some discussion in my groups chats. Because I want to improve my skill in english by writing

Submitted by Dimpy on Thu, 25/07/2019 - 14:57

Yes, I have accounts at many discussion forums, most of them are anime related and a very few are of movies and games. I'm a big and when I say big I mean gigantic anime fan so, yes, I love watching anime and then discussing about them with other anime lovers.

Submitted by mtalebi on Thu, 06/06/2019 - 07:04

Not many discussion forums. I do not have enough time.

Submitted by saydin on Sun, 26/05/2019 - 15:01

I usually join for business. I can read, write and search in forum.