A weather forecast

Listen to a weather forecast and answer the questions to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Hello and good morning! Well, we're off to a good start in the south this week, as most of the rain from the weekend has disappeared – just a few patches of cloud and maybe some showers here on the east coast. They'll all clear up by lunchtime, though. Over the next day or so, London and the area around Kent can expect a couple of isolated showers, but mostly dry through until Thursday.

It's not such good news for the north-west this week, I'm afraid: more wet weather, and not a lot of sunshine. Some of today's showers will be heavy – and even thundery in Manchester and across the Pennines. Leeds will escape the thunderstorms, with drizzle and light rain only throughout the rest of the day and tonight.

Elsewhere it becomes dry today, but with some foggy patches towards Wales. In England, tomorrow morning will see a dry, bright start in most places, with high temperatures throughout the week. We might see one or two thunderstorms appearing as the week goes on, with temperatures everywhere at 29 to 30 degrees.

By the weekend, unfortunately, the dry weather will make way for mostly cloudy skies and rain. The rain will move from Scotland, down towards the north and reach the south coast by Saturday afternoon. Temperatures, at least, will stay mostly warm at around 21 degrees for the weekend. It might feel like a nice change from the high twenties and early thirties we'll see in the week. That's all from me until tomorrow. Enjoy the mini-heatwave while you can!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

B1 English level (intermediate)

Submitted by vanviet1603 on Thu, 18/08/2022 - 09:26

I come from Vietnam, therefore I can suffer the big heatwave. But, I really hate cold weather and thunderstorm.

Submitted by milagros diaz rickel on Tue, 02/08/2022 - 09:37

I prefer the warm weather. For me, it’s fantastic because I can take walks around while I am enjoying the sun and additionally, I can protect my skin with sunscreen and just to use my summer hats!
Mily

Submitted by Weena pineda on Fri, 22/07/2022 - 16:56

I prefer to warn weather because is not too much hot.

Submitted by MsSunshine on Mon, 11/07/2022 - 17:51

I don't like the hot weather. The cloudy but warm weather is best for me.

Submitted by Youssef Karfouh on Tue, 05/07/2022 - 13:38

i like warm weather , 'cause you can enjoy outside like go to restaurant or take a walk , whearas you can't do that neither in summer because of the heatwave in my city nor in winter because of the rain and thunderstorms

Submitted by khalid muhammed on Mon, 04/07/2022 - 18:34

For me I love a cloudy day more than a sunny one, but also I don't like a rainy day because I can't stay outside, spring is my favorite season because it's neither cold nor hot, but unfortunately, it only lasts for a couple of weeks, in general, I try to enjoy all seasons because there always different activities you can do in each season.

Submitted by Thanh Thien on Sun, 19/06/2022 - 14:12

I like the cold weather, especially with rain. I can find peace and joy in the light rain or drizzle. I know it's weird but I really feel excited when there are some patches of dark clouds in the sky which is the sign of a shower. I'm a bit annoyed with the heatwaves in summer because my body will be soaked in sweat and I also feel not very productive in this kind of weather.

Note: New words I try to put into my answer:
- Drizzle
- Shower
- Patch
- Heatwave

Thank you for your reading.

Submitted by Jeedapa on Sat, 11/06/2022 - 18:43

I like cold weather the most. In my country is generally very hot, the highest temperature is over 40°C. I always feel like I'm gonna die in the sun. So, when winter comes, I feel fresher, and the weather is so good. The winter in my country is not that cold, I can go outside and play, and don't need to worry about sunburned skin.

Profile picture for user Magedelabd

Submitted by Magedelabd on Thu, 26/05/2022 - 04:34

what i very like is the medium weather . not too cold and not too hot . but if the medium weather is not there , so let us go with the cold one.

Submitted by omidabbasi on Thu, 19/05/2022 - 10:32

i would like the sunshine weather the more. because the sunshine weather make way for Swimming and play lots of games out of the home and in my opinion, wet weather make me feel like sad

Submitted by Lina hameed on Tue, 10/05/2022 - 07:28

In my opinion i prefer spring weather throughout the year because all the world become colourful and tempreture not hot and not cold

Submitted by Ehsan on Tue, 26/04/2022 - 07:03

I prefer dark cloudy and rainy weather.

Submitted by younes01 on Fri, 22/04/2022 - 01:19

for me, I love the hot weather because you don't need to put yourself on a carpet all the day and wear a lot of clothes
and on the mental side, I love it because the cold weather put my mind in a mood of getting on a carpet and get a hot drink and watch some movie unlike the hot weather that makes me enthusiastic to make new things and energetic

Submitted by Minhhanhtran on Thu, 21/04/2022 - 19:26

Listening to the weather forecast is really hard for me because I don't understand and remember what they said. Even I read transcript, i can't remember the content to do the tasks.
I definitly like warm weather, I don't like rain and sunny. I only like rain at night when i go to bed

Submitted by Fabiano on Wed, 20/04/2022 - 16:39

I prefer hot weather because I like going to the beach and I still hate wearing blouses.

Submitted by Bobidescultu on Tue, 29/03/2022 - 16:06

I live in a country with four season but I mostly like warm because it s the perfect time to go out and play some football

Submitted by jos1724lu17 on Mon, 28/03/2022 - 03:03

In my opinion, I prefer cold weather but it doesn't rain, I like cold weather because I can do all my activities relaxed without much heat, I'm not a big fan of heat, it suffocates me and doesn't allow me to be calm. My perfect days are when it's cold but it doesn't rain. Also, if I'm very cold, it's easy to solve. I just have a hot coffee and a good coat.

Submitted by Laxsus on Thu, 10/03/2022 - 00:50

I prefer cloudy weather than the sunny one, also cold than hot temp.

Submitted by Miguelitorico1996 on Tue, 11/01/2022 - 22:21

I prefer warm weather over cold weather.

Submitted by misty on Sat, 08/01/2022 - 20:55

I was born and grew up in a country where there is only two weather seasons; summer, and rainy season. Obviously, I have a dream of moving to a place where there is winter. In addition, I wanted to experience snow, wear boots and winter jackets. But things change, now I live in a country where there is four weather season. At first, everything seems perfect experiencing cold season ,but I realize that I feel not very productive in this kind of weather. To sum up, I prefer warm weather than cold because I can be very productive at work at the same time I can be physically fit while enjoying a simple walk in the park.

Submitted by Ray Tam on Thu, 23/12/2021 - 01:15

Generally speaking, I’d like autumn best throughout the year. Because it’s no any heatwaves to endure annoyingly and there’re fantastic colourful scenes that the leafs of the trees from green changing to yellow or red elsewhere during this season.
Even more, It’s relatively comfortable temperature to enjoys many outdoor sports just like jogging, running and hiking, etc.

Submitted by jmajo on Wed, 22/12/2021 - 14:53

Well, I prefer the warm weather in spring rather than the hot weather in summer and the cold weather in winter, I don't really like the light rain or drizzle when I have to go to work by bicycle but the heatwaves in summer are the worse. It's a bit annoying when I'm travelling on the cycle path and start to rain really hard, so I need to find a patch covered by some roof to avoid getting wet, I usually use a stop bus to wait throughout the storm clear up and make way for the sunshine. In the winter we have a lot of storms with heavy rain and thunders and some places in the countryside get isolated by the flooded routes caused by the higher levels of water running by the rivers caused by the heavy rain.

Thanks for the lesson.
Great site!

Submitted by azharbgskr on Mon, 13/12/2021 - 11:42

I like rainy weather because I can feel peace when the rains fall down.

Submitted by vuhoap on Mon, 15/11/2021 - 23:55

I like hot weather best because I don't need to wear a lot of clothes and can use a fan or get the cool breeze from the window.

Submitted by ceehinh on Mon, 25/10/2021 - 03:31

i like cold weather, like have snow or something like that. because i live in a country which is tropical climate. there are two seasons clearly: dry and rain so that i want to experience cold weather.

Submitted by siddhuk on Sat, 16/10/2021 - 10:52

Like both sunny and rainy weather

Submitted by Amer Ha on Sun, 03/10/2021 - 03:01

I like the breeze weather best

Submitted by Rolabaik on Thu, 30/09/2021 - 16:29

plz what mean of ''we're off to a good start"

Hello Rolabaik,

'to be off to a good start' means 'to be a good start'. In this case, the weather person means that the week in the south has started with good weather. When people in the UK speak of 'good weather', they almost always mean sunny weather.

Profile picture for user Kadir

Submitted by Kadir on Wed, 11/08/2021 - 21:34

Nowadays we can see a few situation of weather in just one day in Turkey. While north of country is rainy south of country is too hot -about 45 degrees-

Submitted by Stela Stoycheva on Tue, 03/08/2021 - 22:28

Oo, I love sunny, hot day maybe because I live next to the sea...and I like to do sun bath on the sand and to be with darker tan :) But even in winter cold days have something amazing, but I`m sure its not energy bill :D :)

Submitted by KATIELLE RAIAN… on Thu, 29/07/2021 - 20:11

I love hot weather, but cold weather is nice too.
Profile picture for user iEdd

Submitted by iEdd on Fri, 02/07/2021 - 16:47

Cold weather and foggy are the best for me. I enjoy low temperatures and gray skies, as I'm walking or riding my bike.

Submitted by GiulianaAndy on Sun, 20/06/2021 - 19:24

I like best wet weather because I like jump into small water puddles
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Mon, 07/06/2021 - 13:21

I like a cool and dry day with blue sky. :)

Submitted by Munirah Saad 20 on Mon, 07/06/2021 - 09:48

I like rainy and cloudy weather.
Profile picture for user bella1970

Submitted by bella1970 on Fri, 14/05/2021 - 20:09

I don’t like rainy weather, but I love warm weather

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Wed, 28/04/2021 - 22:53

I like sunshine, but not heat weather. It is comfortable for me, though I like rain sometime, and fresh air after rain, it is amazing.

Submitted by Morrow on Tue, 20/04/2021 - 17:03

It’s depend. When it’s sunday, i like rainy weather but on normal day i like cloudy or warm weather

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Fri, 16/04/2021 - 03:07

I like rainy season. I also like cold season but not very cold.in this time where I live is very hot season. I hate hot season. It's very difficult for me. Hot season make you a very lazy person and not to much work. So I like temperature between 10°-20° Celcius.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Mon, 29/03/2021 - 14:04

I prefer fairly widespread dry and very warm day. ;)

Submitted by Frank Cuello on Mon, 29/03/2021 - 02:02

I prefer when it's raining because I love the cold air and the sound of the little drops.

Submitted by Marcos Santos on Fri, 12/03/2021 - 14:50

I like all kinds of weather as long as I have the right clothes on (or maybe not lol).

Submitted by Sara Kalafat on Fri, 12/03/2021 - 11:37

The sunny weather because it provides me with full energy to start my day

Submitted by kaldibekamir on Thu, 04/03/2021 - 06:42

I like rainy weather because I live in town,where always hot.

Submitted by kaldibekamir on Thu, 04/03/2021 - 06:28