An email to ask a colleague to do something
Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and tips and do the exercises.
From: Gabriela Flores
To: Yuki Sato
Subject: Request for new price list for V1698 face creams
We are presenting to some new clients next Monday 10 December and they are interested in our V1698 face creams.
I understand from Kate that the prices have changed recently. She mentioned that you have the new price list. Do you think you could email it to me?
I would be grateful if we could have it by close of business on Thursday 6 December. That would give us time to prepare for our presentation.
Thanks very much for your help.
- Some people prefer you to use their first names, and others prefer you to use their title (e.g. Ms/Mr) + their surnames. Find out what is normal in your company when writing emails.
- Explain the reason for the request.
- Give a deadline when possible.
- Give dates clearly.
- Make your request polite by starting it with Do you think you could … ? or I would be grateful if you/we/I could … .
- If you don't know the person you are writing to well, you can finish by writing Best regards just before you sign your name.