Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and tips and do the exercises.
Are you a first-year or second-year student at Central University? Would you like to learn a language this summer?
Central University offers funding of up to £800 each for five students to go overseas and study English, Spanish, French, German or Chinese.* You can use the grant to pay for accommodation, travel expenses and tuition fees.
For more information, email email@example.com
*Courses must be full time in July or August and for a minimum of two weeks.
From: Merry Yi
Subject: Summer travel grant
I'm writing to express my interest in the summer travel grant that was advertised in this month's university magazine.
I am a second-year student and I am planning to study English in New York for three weeks in July. I would like to apply for the travel grant to help me with my expenses.
Could you please send me further details, including how to apply and when the application deadline is?
I look forward to hearing from you.
- If you don't know the person's name when writing a formal email, you can start it Dear Sir/Madam.
- Your email should have three short main paragraphs:
- What you are interested in
- Why you're interested
- Any questions you have.
- I look forward to hearing from you is a good way to close an email if you want a reply.
- Regards is a semi-formal, respectful way to end an email. It is common in professional emails too.