Booking a table

Listen to someone booking a table in a restaurant to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi. Can I book a table for tomorrow night, please?

Staff: How many people is it for?

Jamie: Four.

Staff: And what time would you like?

Jamie: About eight, eight thirty maybe?

Staff: Let's see ... We're pretty busy tomorrow, so I can do half past seven or nine.

Jamie: Oh. OK, then. Half seven, please.

Staff: What name is it?

Jamie: Jamie.

Staff: J-A- ...?

Jamie: M-I-E

Staff: OK, so that's a table for four at half past seven tomorrow evening.

Jamie: Great. Thanks! Bye.

Staff: Bye.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi, I called earlier to book a table for four and I was wondering if I can make it for six instead?

Staff: Ah, what name was it?

Jamie: It's Jamie.

Staff: Table for four at half past seven. So you want to change it to 6 o'clock?

Jamie: No, sorry. Can I make it for six people?

Staff: Oh, I see. Sorry! That shouldn't be a problem. I can move you to a bigger table but it will be nearer the kitchen. Is that OK?

Jamie: No problem. Is it possible to change the time as well? Make it a little bit later?

Staff: Ah ... yeah, we can. Is eight OK for you?

Jamie: Perfect, thanks!

Staff: Lovely. See you tomorrow, then.

Jamie: Thanks! Bye!

Staff: Thanks. Ciao!

Submitted by bawk san aung on Thu, 22/08/2019 - 03:13

Though I don't know much about restaurant,the chinese restaurant is the most i like.As i am being from Asian country, the influence from china is as big as it's country. We can see the chinese food not only many restaurant but also every party in my country. And also the side view is as important as the taste in one restaurant. However, sitting the restaurant with the river view and feeling the taste from chinese restaurant is the best moment for me.

Submitted by Magedelabd on Sat, 17/08/2019 - 17:24

i like the fish restaurant because i like fish . i can eat as many as like without getting fat.

Submitted by Longan1991 on Thu, 15/08/2019 - 05:05

My family often go to the restaurant to eat buffet. We book a table at a Japanese restaurant in a shopping centre. It is quite large and good atmosphere. We pick anything we like . the staffs there are friendly and considerate. That restaurant not only cheap but also fresh. I feel content and comfortable

Submitted by shinhaphura on Mon, 12/08/2019 - 08:11

I like BBQ. It's so great if has some bottle of fresh bear, ;)

Submitted by Ghaith MA on Thu, 08/08/2019 - 08:41

It was amazing ! thanks

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Wed, 07/08/2019 - 15:04

My favourite kind of restaurant is the pizzeria. I like eating pizza a! lot! And you? Do you like eating pizza?

Submitted by samreenmkhan on Tue, 30/07/2019 - 10:04

i like restaurants with sea view and a good natural view

Submitted by jdevera21 on Tue, 30/07/2019 - 08:10

What's your favourite kind of restaurant? I lived half of my life most near the seashore and my typical type of restaurant is like a very traditional old stylish venue, that cook's authentic unique local kinds of seafood dishes that will bring back my childhood favorite menus.

Submitted by Santika on Mon, 29/07/2019 - 10:35

From this lesson I think it's better if we said something a little bit longer or detail. In this case, instead of "table for four" in part two of the conversation, Jamie can said "table for four people" to prevent missunderstanding/do not understand properly/a little bit confuse. And instead of six for 06:00 we can said six o'clock so it is clear that we talk about time. But sometimes things make us say something as short as possible especially in a conversation. Then if some missunderstanding/do not understand properly/a little bit confuse happen in the conversation, both parties can fix it patiently and politely with enough knowledge on grammar.

Submitted by ayusisi on Mon, 22/07/2019 - 11:40

I really love Indonesia restaurants, the waiters are very nice and the most important, the food is delicious. I love Indonesian food like fried rice.

Submitted by fariba on Mon, 15/07/2019 - 11:33

i like a big and romantic restaurant.it should have a beautiful view.

Submitted by shahramuteng on Sun, 07/07/2019 - 23:24

I like a restaurant that can serve the meals from my hometown, Rasht of Iran. it is interesting to know Rasht is designated as members of the UNESCO Creative Cities Network in terms of Gastronomy on 11 December 2015! to tell the truth, when I am hungry at outdoor, I prefer to have delicious fast foods such as cheeseburger. and I can't wait for finding my mother town foods!!!
I agree with you, Especially Baghalighatogh! Thanks for explain about rasht, i'm sorry about has a little information about my country!

Submitted by popo1011 on Sun, 30/06/2019 - 08:26

Hi I like turkish restaurants , they have delicious meal , drinks , salads ....

Submitted by Diana0419 on Thu, 27/06/2019 - 15:24

Actually, I was a girl who love to travel around the world, so I like to taste all kinds of different meals from a wide variety of countries. As a matter of fact, I love the Japanese cuisine the most because its meal and ingredients are fit to my favorite.

Submitted by Mennaosama on Tue, 25/06/2019 - 01:32

i prefer open kinds of restaurants with delicious meals

Submitted by anhsonic on Fri, 14/06/2019 - 13:18

I like to eat very much, I want to try many kinds of food in the world. Especially, Vietnamese food make me lot of impressions. If you can at least visit Vietnam on time, you must stay there in 1 month and try your best to eat

Submitted by Cherif on Wed, 12/06/2019 - 14:17

Hello, I wish to reserve a table for 3 people for tomorrow night. we would like to have a table next to a window thank you so much

Submitted by abdalhameed on Sat, 08/06/2019 - 13:42

I do not like to eat restaurant food, I prefer to eat what my mother cook.

Submitted by Evandro Diniz on Wed, 05/06/2019 - 20:24

I really prefer the food from my motherland... Brazil... Our country is huge, so we have a lot of options. I also enjoy having Italian and Mexican food...

Submitted by Skitalec on Wed, 05/06/2019 - 18:36

Cafe Mu-Mu in Moscow))

Submitted by Agata2021 on Mon, 03/06/2019 - 12:33

I like small restourants with delicious meal and pleasant staff.

Submitted by mhazizi on Sun, 26/05/2019 - 15:52

I don't like to eat fast food in a restaurant. Because, eating fast food leads to illness. I think it's better to eat more vegetable and a little fast food. Usually the restaurant environment is nice special with family. Thanks

Submitted by Malik on Fri, 24/05/2019 - 10:30

My favorite restaurant is a renowned restaurant with variate type of foods specially cranshy and spicy foods, in addition to good and fast Services.

Submitted by Liv hoang on Sun, 12/05/2019 - 10:32

I like restaurants with fresh air and green plants. Wherever, they serve local and seasonable foods.

Submitted by Nway Oo Kalayar on Sat, 11/05/2019 - 15:38

Good listening.

Submitted by andredithfv on Fri, 10/05/2019 - 20:59

Hello. My favorite kind of restaurant is one that have organic food. I like eat very healthy, because I think about my health, but I like eat delicious too. For it, i prefer one restaurant that have food organic and yummy.

Submitted by gallo on Wed, 08/05/2019 - 20:05

I like spanish restaurant. There are a big variety of products from our rich fields so you can eat healthy food and the taste is very good.

Submitted by rajesh devendran on Tue, 07/05/2019 - 19:56

My favorite restaurant is the hotel kohinoor and it is half a mile far from my home..my favorite food there is briyani...

Submitted by oumi on Sun, 05/05/2019 - 17:38

i like going to the restaurant that offere a morroco tradiional food ,i feel like i'm in home because now i'm living far of my house i study in another city. so going in restaurant like that make feel good and make me rememer the taste of my mother food.

Submitted by Setareh on Fri, 26/04/2019 - 08:45

My favorite is fast food restaurant. I really like them.

Submitted by Pawani on Wed, 24/04/2019 - 13:59

I don 't go to restaurants, but I would like vegetarian foods.

Submitted by TP on Wed, 24/04/2019 - 13:57

I like all kinds of restaurants such as Indian, Italian, Chinese, Japanese and Mexican to name but a few. In my country, most restaurants serve rice and curry because it is our staple food. I like to try food prepared using organic fruit and veggies. Also, l love to enjoy food sitting in a restaurant by a river or a lake.

Submitted by Ehsan1984 on Sun, 21/04/2019 - 19:16

i like clean restaurant with light music

Submitted by Nabil Yacouba on Sat, 20/04/2019 - 10:29

I prefer restaurant where we have many varieties of food and also dessert

Submitted by Stanley Alvarez on Fri, 19/04/2019 - 21:29

My favourite restaurant kind is the arabian ones, because I love its foods.

Submitted by Hana Jasumin on Fri, 19/04/2019 - 15:02

i like the charming restourant and near from the see or lake

Submitted by César Árraga on Sun, 14/04/2019 - 17:28

My favourite restaurants are whose where it sells Seafood, I really love eating it .For example, in my country there is a seafood called "Arroz con Mariscos", it's delicious and it's made from octopus, shrimp, squids, etc.

Submitted by Dawood Afzal on Sat, 13/04/2019 - 07:12

I love cooking in well known restaurants and want learn some good and delicious recipes.

Submitted by Maira Miranda … on Sat, 13/04/2019 - 02:15

Actually I don´t go frecuently to restaurant but I love chinese food and awould like to taste korean and japanis food.

Submitted by sonerik on Fri, 12/04/2019 - 13:04

My favorite restaurant, meal and turkish food restaurants.

Submitted by Wahiba on Tue, 09/04/2019 - 23:24

I prefer small , calm and nice restaurants with a professional staffs and appetizing menus and delicious meals.

Submitted by mtalebi on Tue, 09/04/2019 - 06:31

I like the restaurant to be quiet.

Submitted by Alaa on Mon, 08/04/2019 - 12:59

my favorite restaurant chicken box and I like looking for new places