A business interview

Listen to the business interview to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Presenter: Welcome to today's show. We're very happy to have Anna Oliveira as our guest today. Anna is the creator and founder of HomeworX – spelled with an 'x' we should note – an app which helps teenagers with their homework. Thanks for coming in, Anna.

Anna: Thanks for having me.

Presenter: So, tell us about your app. How does it work?

Anna: Well, teenagers and their parents have numerous challenges when it comes to homework these days. In many families both parents work and don't have much available time to help their kids with their homework. And even if they do have time to help, they may not be able to offer support with the content. What I mean is, they may not know, or at least remember, enough in any given subject to support.

Presenter: You mean they might not be able to remember complex maths or might have never studied certain subjects, such as biology or economics, themselves?

Anna: Exactly. So they might want to support their children with their homework, but have neither the time nor the knowledge to do so.

Presenter: I see. So the app helps solve this problem?

Anna: Yes, and more. The next issue is that tutors can be expensive, and there may be long waiting lists for specialist tutors in the town or region you live in. Our HomeworX app brings students and tutors together online. Students can search a database of pre-approved tutors and sign up for live online support. They don't need to be in the same town or city.

Presenter: That sounds really great.

Anna: It is. And this approach also enables us to offer the tutoring services at lower prices because there's no travelling time involved for the tutor to get to the student's home. And tutors who live in remote areas are happy to get access to more students, and be able to work from home, even at lower rates.

Presenter: This all sounds great. So, how did you come up with the idea?

Anna: Well, as you might guess, I was one of those parents I described earlier. I really wanted to help my son with his homework, but I was either too busy with work or I didn't actually know anything about the subjects he was having difficulty with. Also, we live in an area where there aren't many tutors and the ones that are there are either very expensive or have long waiting lists.

Presenter: Yes. I can understand your predicament. Well, it sounds like a very useful app that is clearly meeting a need. And its popularity obviously speaks for itself.

Anna: Thank you.

Presenter: So, do you have plans for the future?

Anna: We've just secured some funding and hope to expand the range of services we offer using the app.

Presenter: We wish you the best of luck. Thanks again for coming in. That was Anna Oliveira, founder of the tutoring app HomeworX (with an 'x', don't forget!), which is available for both Apple and Android devices. Join us again next week for another business interview. Have a great week, everyone.

Submitted by kawa on Tue, 04/02/2020 - 11:11

my favorite web-sites are British council, which, indeed, I find it very useful for everyone who wants to improve and master his or her English language, even for starters is suitable. The second favorite Web-site is BBC Learning English, it offers you a wide range of grammar lessons that help you improve your reading comprehension exponentially. As for apps, I get the benefit from Facebook enormously as there are many Facebook sites that post daily maltitude things related to English especially news, such as Reuters or some short clips that can help you improve your listening skills

Submitted by Ellena on Thu, 30/01/2020 - 20:27

Hi, My favourite web-site it is "perfect-English-grammar" but now I discovered this one which I fund it very useful

Submitted by armando on Tue, 28/01/2020 - 06:59

Hello everybody!! My favorite app it's "Hello English" because they have different exercises to practice reading and grammar. Although i need to improve my pronunciation.

Submitted by lio_2028 on Sat, 25/01/2020 - 16:40

my favorite app for now is bbc learning english i love this app a lot , i can't appreciate it in one word , it's always updated with new features ,it's really good app with a lot of options so that's help me a lot to improve my skills in english ,however this site too help me a lot i wanna appreciate who works in this site too which help a lot in english. thanks a lot ^_^

Hello lio_2028

Thanks very much for your kind words -- we're really happy that you find our work helpful.

Best wishes

Submitted by vidialzara on Thu, 23/01/2020 - 10:50

I love to learn about hand lettering and bullet journal and my favorite application to go to are, of course, youtube and Instagram. There is a lot of art stuff there and the more important thing is it is free to access.

Submitted by swaminathan on Thu, 23/01/2020 - 06:32

hi am swaminathan mechanical engineer from ssit chennai this is really un usual and i like it

Submitted by Dieudonné on Sat, 28/12/2019 - 14:37

My favorite app for learning is "irregular verbs"; It is a really good app with a lot of options. You can find most of the irregular verbs in it? Besides, there is a lot of manner to assess your level. What I find really interesting is that they divide the irregular verbs into 3 parts from easier to more difficult. Interestingly, It is like this website, they classify the verbs for every level. I really love it.

Submitted by taghi on Sat, 07/12/2019 - 08:14

my favoutite app is Instagram because i can see many posts from English teachers all around the world just by scrolling up and down among pages.as a daily habit i start every morning by reading different posts from various area such as science,national geography,news and so on.these pages and reading their new posts,help me to improve my reading skill.

Submitted by son76 on Thu, 05/12/2019 - 13:21

my name is son, i am from vietnam, i want learn english for test ielts 5.0, i need everyone help me, thank

Submitted by groverivan on Sun, 01/12/2019 - 02:42

Hi everybody, my favorite app is Duolingo too, because it has many tools an interesting things to learn english everyday.

Submitted by Yeasman on Mon, 25/11/2019 - 15:42

My favourite app is duolingo In this app I have many diffrient lessons

Submitted by Elvys on Fri, 22/11/2019 - 23:15

When I was a teenager my favourite website was Yahoo Answers because there were many people to answer my questions about any subjects and I did lots of homeworks from other users too to practice my knowledges.

Submitted by HelianG on Wed, 13/11/2019 - 22:22

my favorite app or web to learn English is youtube,is was not specially made for English learners but you can learn a lot of new things in youtube,there are many ways to use youtube to learn English,either watching videos of english youtubers or teachers who teach for free.

Submitted by Irina07 on Sun, 13/10/2019 - 10:31

Thank you for this listening lesson! I have just learned a new word which is the predicament ( a difficult or challenging situation). As a beginner Learning English language was a predicament. Did I correctly use this word in this context?

Hello Irina07

I'm glad you found this page useful!

Although I understand what you mean, that sentence sounds a little strange because a predicament is also usually a situation that is difficult to get out of, which doesn't seem appropriate here.

I'd suggest you look up 'predicament' in an online dictionary to read the example sentences there.

All the best

The LearnEnglish

Submitted by nikisyazwani on Mon, 30/09/2019 - 05:51

I have completed the lesson for A Business Interview. The level I chose was Upper Intermediate B2.

Submitted by Magedelabd on Sun, 15/09/2019 - 18:56

My favorite app for learning is the Facebook. Because it is very wide and popular and has too many things to read and watch .

Submitted by kamicounciler on Sun, 15/09/2019 - 13:39

i have not used a lot of learning apps,but i use british council podcasts app.its podcasts are useful and free although it has some ad contents which is not something that bothers. however after reading "Aisha na Shadee" ,s comment, i am interested to give that "IELTS speaking vocubularies" app a try.

Submitted by Catalina Pazmiño on Fri, 13/09/2019 - 05:34

Hi there! I am glad to be able to share my point of view about the best way to learn English. To be honest, I don't really know so much about technology, but doing my best I could found this interesting resource on the British Council website and It got me attracted, because it shared a lot of topics to help learners to improve by practicing all the skills. Since January, I have been working hard in order to be self confident with my English skills and I will continue doing my best until to take the IELTS test, and obviously, to get an international certificate. Thank you for this great opportunity ...

Submitted by Peter M. on Fri, 13/09/2019 - 07:23

In reply to by Catalina Pazmiño

Hi Catalina,

Thank you for the lovely comment! It's good to know we're helping people. Good luck with your plans!

Submitted by Tin Zar Hlaing on Fri, 30/08/2019 - 18:05

I usually don't use English learning apps. But I try to learn the British council's podcast app. I learn English lessons on the British council's website today. It is a very nice lesson and actually enjoy. I will try the best. Thank you so much.

Submitted by Steve Zarv on Tue, 27/08/2019 - 16:46

Currently I've been really into an app called "Tandem", it's an app of social media, specially to talk with strangers from all over the world. There are many apps like that, however, what makes it different than the others is that this one allows you to access different functions and options that the other apps ask you to pay for. Not to mention its accurance and the stylish user interface.(This is not sponsored xD)

Submitted by Aisha na Shadee on Wed, 21/08/2019 - 11:41

My favourite app is IELTS speaking vocubularies, I prefer the app because it helps me to learn English by speaking, reading, listening and writing. Since I started using the app I'v improved my English in all mentioned categories. Everyday I get at least one or more new vocubularies. Self speaking practise has boosted my confidence in speaking. Listening TED talk has helped me to strengthern my ability of listening english words and to be familiar with engnglish pronunciations. I believe in more days to come I'll master the language effectively.

Submitted by starfish2019 on Tue, 20/08/2019 - 14:38

My favorite app for learning is the British Council’s IELTS Prep App, because it has range of resources, providing comprehensive knowledge and abundance learning materials for all the 4 skills learning needs, and practicing such as listening, reading, writing and speaking. It is very easy to download from Google play store or app store to be used with your mobile phones, tablets or iPad. I believe this is a very good app for students who are both working and studying at the same time. So they will have more flexible learning options and also be able to overcome the time limit difficulties. They can even learn on the go, such as on the bus or train with utmost convenience.

Submitted by pam89 on Wed, 14/08/2019 - 11:18

I usually used babbel to learn english or other apps to listen english lesson podcast, e.g audible.

Submitted by Sabah on Thu, 18/07/2019 - 00:19

I prefer learning through British Council because it focuses on the all sides of learning and specifically listening and reading.

Submitted by Malan KOUAME on Wed, 03/07/2019 - 14:00

Very hepful innovation for students' homework

Submitted by barno.egamberdieva on Thu, 27/06/2019 - 09:31

There are so many apps available on the phone but my favorite app is "IELTS Prep". I am using it on my Andriod phone from some time. It's not only easy to use but also good to practice IETLS exams, as online exams are available on it. Other than that, I am using it for listening and grammar mistakes.
Dear Barno, That's very great and me too, I'm using the same App and found very helpful :) Wish you all the best. Yours Truly

Submitted by Tai le on Tue, 25/06/2019 - 22:49

I think that that’s good to use app for students or anyone very convenient

Submitted by abosalah25043 on Mon, 24/06/2019 - 23:10

My favorite apps for learning are "Tiny cards", "Pocket" and "Tasks". They aren't exactly learning apps but they help me greatly in organizing my things for studying. I recommend you all to use them and you will thank me later.

Submitted by belal88 on Mon, 24/06/2019 - 14:22

I already have tried to use some apps to improve my English, but i did not get any benefit. This website helps me now to do that.

Submitted by Mi.m.ferreira on Thu, 20/06/2019 - 12:59

My English is a work in progress. I´m not find the app for the study or practise the listening. Does anyone have ann app tip?

Hello Mi.m.ferreira

I'm sure other people will have some good recommendations, but I also wanted to mention that we have several apps for learning English in our Apps section. Good luck finding something!

All the best

Submitted by zsofia1999 on Tue, 18/06/2019 - 15:58

I don't use any apps for learning, but I would like to. I am searching the right one.

Submitted by Claudette Ndenzako on Tue, 18/06/2019 - 00:46

I don't use an app for learning. I think to effectively learn a language for instance you need to listen to or read anything from radio, watching tv, people around you, news, books, magazines etc... Anything helps and try to interact as much as possible. That is how I learned English. And do not be shy to ask people to repeat what they said.

Submitted by Belén5 on Fri, 14/06/2019 - 22:15

I use several apps to improve my English, but undoubtedly Hello talk is my favourite since I made new friends around the world who help me a lot.

Submitted by Shuferu on Wed, 15/05/2019 - 15:39

The app that assists listening skills because listening is basic for other skill

Submitted by Shamas Saeed on Tue, 14/05/2019 - 10:18

Submitted by steffyller on Sun, 12/05/2019 - 03:27

This is my favourite app for learning, because, i have many resources to improve my English

Submitted by ignacio perez on Fri, 03/05/2019 - 07:49

An interesting resource to learn English, wich I use, is the Facebook group 'Learn English-British Council". I'm interested in downloading the app 'Learn English Grammar (UK edition) from this web as well.

Submitted by Karuppasamy.p on Tue, 30/04/2019 - 13:35

My Favourite app is duolingo. It is a language learning app. Method of studying In this app is little bit different to any other learning apps. Every learning parts are realistic and you can directly apply these sentence in your day-to-day life and every word are comprehensible.Speaking Practice also possible in this app .That's why I Like this Application

Submitted by Gus2019 on Thu, 25/04/2019 - 23:17

Interesting reading. In the course of the years I used many resources for learning diferents things such as internet, classroom courses, on-line courses and among others. However the most impotart is how determinated you are to learn something new and how useful is in your life. In these day I use a lot of apps and websites like this to learning english. I wish you the best of luck to all you! Sincerely, Gustavo

Submitted by josedaniel33 on Sat, 20/04/2019 - 19:29

I don´t use ant app, but I use other way my favorites are British Council page and TED AX

Submitted by crazysezer123 on Tue, 16/04/2019 - 19:12

ı can't remember my favorite app, because ı lost my phone 2 weeks ago but ı think the snap-tube is the best app ı have ever seen in terms of downloading videos and music

Submitted by Mélissa84 on Wed, 10/04/2019 - 09:33

I don't have a favourite app for learning. I want to improve my english and I'm always searching for a good way to do it. I was using Duolingo and after some research, I found the british council site. A friend already told me about the site a long time ago but I forgot. And finally, recently I found the site.

Submitted by beatrizGY on Thu, 04/04/2019 - 10:14

I use a german site englisch-hilfen.de for practice some subjects in English. You can choose what you want to practice and you can find lots of tests to do with answers at the end. Also, there are crosswords and other type of resources.

Submitted by crisoleo32 on Thu, 04/04/2019 - 03:01

My favoriye app is Engilsh Radio in which we can find different sections. There are many station radios options from divers English speaking countries. However, there is a section about ietls essays and you can chat with people worldwide. So, English radio app come out a excelent tool to learn English.