Agreeing and disagreeing

In this video, Emir and Paul discuss a design for a client. Listen to the language they use for agreeing and disagreeing and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say!

Do you know what to say when you agree and disagree? Listen out for useful language for agreeing and disagreeing. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Paul: So?

Emir: I'm not convinced by that idea.

Paul: Why?

Emir: Well, this design is just too simple.

Paul: It's not simple, it's minimal. Plus, it's what the client asked for.

Emir: I'm not so sure. Look … Look at these designs here. I think this is the style that the client wants.

Paul: Hmmm … I think I disagree. They said they wanted it clean and minimal.

Emir: These designs are clean and minimal.

Paul: Look, don't get me wrong, Emir. I like them, but I don't think they fit the brief. For example, here, there's just a bit too much going on.

Emir: OK, I see what you mean, but without all the colour, it would look a bit … empty.

Paul: True. OK, how about taking that and that away? So it still looks interesting, but less busy.

Emir: OK … maybe you've got a point there. Actually, that has given me an idea.

Emir: So we remove the blue. I think that creates a nice balance.

Paul: Yeah, yeah. I think you're right. Changing the circles helped too.

Emir: I agree. So we're happy with this now?

Paul: Yes, definitely.

Emir: So it looks like we can agree!

Paul: Occasionally.

Ana: Hello again! I'm pleased that Paul and Emir agreed with each other in the end. So, did you notice the useful phrases used for agreeing and disagreeing? Listen to me and then repeat.

I'm not convinced by that idea.

I'm not so sure.

I think I disagree.

Don't get me wrong, but I don't think they fit.

I see what you mean, but it looks a bit empty.

OK, maybe you've got a point there.

I think you're right.

Yes, definitely.

I agree.

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you agree and disagree in English. Bye for now!

Submitted by Lionz on Mon, 21/09/2020 - 19:56

there was conversation between me and my friend about taking my master degree abroad or in my country but in the end we agreed that taking it from aus will be better
The same as me happened last week , my friend was telling me that we have to do it in our country because of the difficult situation of the world but I tried to convince her that it is a good opportunity so we have to go despite the problems.

Submitted by Ray Or on Sun, 20/09/2020 - 08:30

Is it Possible to have a group discussion to practice will all learners ?

Hello Ray Or,

No, I'm afraid that's not possible on LearnEnglish. You might want to look into our English Online courses, where you'd be in a virtual classroom with a teacher and other students.

Submitted by Daniel FYT on Fri, 18/09/2020 - 18:03

Very interesting! Could you advise me a dictionary where I can find translation (in French) of some expressions like “don't get me wrong”, “ they fit the brief” “too much going on” Yes that’s funny. They are all in the same phrase ;-) Thanks Emir

Hello Emir,

The Cambridge Dictionary has an English–French dictionary, but I'm not sure you will find translations of phrases such as these. I'd recommend WordReference and/or Linguee, though it's also a good idea for you to do a little searching, as you might find something even more useful.

Hope this helps.

Submitted by Hnin Ei Khing on Wed, 16/09/2020 - 05:45

I made a discussion with my friend for English speaking practice. Then, I drew a schedule for an hour Every Saturday. But she was not convinced by that idea. I thought she disagree.

Submitted by cittàutopica on Fri, 11/09/2020 - 16:04

In my country a constitutional referendum will happen in this month about the reduction of Members of Parliament. I disagree with those who approve this reduction.

Submitted by Bukola on Thu, 10/09/2020 - 20:17

On Tuesday I disagreed with my colleagues at work on tools needed for our work activities. Eventually we came into agreement on the best way to use the tool which was quite helpful.

Submitted by Rosemeire Oliveira on Tue, 08/09/2020 - 02:16

The last week my friend and I had a brief discussion because I told to my friend that ours friend usually study only 2 hours per day and she definitely disagreed with my information. She was not convinced by that. I understand her point of view cause both of us study approximately 8 hours every day but that day I was felling so tired with ours disagreement and I have decided left her to following my studies in my bedroom.

Submitted by AhmedabdElhamed on Sat, 29/08/2020 - 06:17

are there way to practices English in this course

Hello AhmedabdElhamed,

Welcome to LearnEnglish! If you haven't already done so, please take a look at our Getting Started page for tips and suggestions:

There are many ways to practise on the site. What kind of practice are you looking for? Perhaps we can suggest appropriate pages and activities for you.

Submitted by IBRAHIM HAMID on Thu, 27/08/2020 - 16:30

It's very interest and useful discussion. Two days ago, I disagree with my uncle son's about traveling program to country side to achieve some works, after discussion we change some points in plan and finally we agreeing.

Submitted by Esmail Emon on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 18:10

I seek attention to honourable teacher. I understood this language of this video but can't speak. What should i do to speak fluently?
yes same here ! i can understand what people talk about and also i can read text and realize it completely but i have main problem with my speaking! (also writing!)

Hello maede99,

Speaking can be difficult, but we can offer you some tips on how to improve.

The first thing to do is of course to practise speaking with other people. It doesn't really matter who you speak with, though good speakers of English are best. When I was learning a language, I used to practise with my cat. Of course, the cat didn't answer back so it was rather a one-way conversation, but he was very patient and I was able to build confidence and fluency in that way.

It's also a good idea to keep records of useful sentences you can use when you're speaking. A lot of conversational interaction is quite formulaic so having a range of sentences to use when you are introducing yourself, asking for help, explaining what you mean etc.

You can use audio materials to help improve your pronunciation. After you listen to a text, try listening again and speaking along with the audio (using the audioscript). This will help you develop rhythm and cadence, as well as speed and fluidity in your speech.

Good luck!

Submitted by Saish on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 11:18

I remember about an argument with my friend when we disagreed with each other. The discussion was about who is better sports person between Mr. A and Mr. B. We both put forth our supporting points to defend our side of the argument. But ended in not agreeing with each other.

Submitted by Sai Minn on Mon, 24/08/2020 - 10:31

I disagreed with my neighbour about the UCL final 2 days ago. He said PSG will win the trophy and I said FC Bayern will be the champions. I was right and today he said you got a point there.

Submitted by nyein su wai on Sun, 23/08/2020 - 19:23

The last two days, I disagreed with my mom about travelling. I want to travel but she disagreed. Now I think this is not the time to travel. So I'm not argue her disagreement.

Submitted by learningenglish on Wed, 19/08/2020 - 11:58

It was the last week when I disagreed with one of my English speaking partners at a social app. the app we were using is a platform for English learners to practice speaking. We were having very smooth conservation when he suddenly asked me about my experience of using the app, and I told him that it was good for me. But a lot of people here spend too much time speaking English and pay less attention to listening and learning new phrases which, in my opinion, was not an excellent way to learn English. He was not convinced by that and disagreed with me. He was saying that speaking is the most important thing to improve fluency. To support his point, he gave me an example of himself that how spending a lot of time speaking improved his confidence to speak English.

Submitted by IKEDA on Tue, 18/08/2020 - 16:45

I disagreed with my coworkers on how to progress a project recently.

Submitted by Ruslan_Yam on Mon, 17/08/2020 - 14:01

Last time we disagreed with my wife about watching TV in a late evening. I wanted to watch the football match to the end while she insisted on going sleep together.

Submitted by Hennadii on Mon, 17/08/2020 - 11:29

Honestly, I'm not the "often disagreeable" person. I don't like arguing or something. And I definitely try not to push someone very often. The main reason for my occasional disagreement is my kids. They always have their opinion in every case. They don't like to clean their teeth and room as well. Always want to watch "another 5 minutes of cartoons" and, of course, they prefer sweets to soup or salad. And don't mention about homework. It's our almost everyday fight. So, I have to face these permanent fights and trying to convince them in my rightness. Telling the truth, it's not so easy as it could be. They know I love them so much that I can't be angry at them for long, no matter what they have done. I think that's how all these things work in the families. Kids are noisy and obstinate, parents are strict but forgiving.

Submitted by Eden alemayehu on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 13:24

Last week with my partner, he had a meeting at country side and I suggested him to take public transport and he disagreed and took his own car for the trip

Submitted by aniley on Wed, 29/07/2020 - 12:45

Perfect execises. It`s the vocabulary that I need on my work

Submitted by neuro1987 on Tue, 28/07/2020 - 00:34

Hello everybody This morning I disagree with a friend, she told me about the process to usmle. She want to work without salary for clinical knowledge. But I don't like to work free. Unfortunately we are agree about this process.

Submitted by macevedosalas on Sat, 25/07/2020 - 23:14

Last week, I disagreed with my partner (Level 1) at work, because he `noticed that the backups didn't work, but I was not so sure therefore we called the backup-tool expert, and she said the backups were OK. So, I agreed, and my partner was wrong.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Thu, 23/07/2020 - 18:27

Just this morning, I disagree with my husband that he feed our daughter a lot of candies. She will have tooth decay if not brush her teeth carefully. But my husband thinks it's not important.

Submitted by Asni on Sun, 19/07/2020 - 12:15

I can't remember when exactly but recently, I disagreed with my husband about TV and the baby. I told him the baby was too young to watch TV and it was completely useless for him and might even damage his eyes or negatively affect his brain development. It was extremely difficult to convince him so I asked the paediatrician in front of him. She totally agreed with me and her answer was as clear as crystal "Definitely not, TV is forbidden for less than 3 years old kids".

Submitted by Umar Aminat on Sat, 18/07/2020 - 22:55

I will have to practice the phrases

Submitted by abudo93 on Sat, 18/07/2020 - 15:22

The last disagree was with my wife that's happend when we were discussing about any doctor she have to going.

Submitted by IbrahimElsayed on Wed, 15/07/2020 - 13:49

About one hour.

Submitted by ArturoBustillos on Fri, 10/07/2020 - 18:17

five minutes ago and always...

Submitted by M19 on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 19:19

Just recently my colleague and I differed significantly on an essay he wrote. I was so sure that it was incorrect and even told him why. However, I could not manage to convince him otherwise. So until now, we have not come into a consensus.

Submitted by kajendran on Sun, 05/07/2020 - 13:37

This was one of the health discussion. They had discussed the pros and cons and finally agreed to the conclusion.

Submitted by Sabbir Ahmad on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 19:49