Social media influencers

Read a blogpost about the impact of social media influencers in the business world to practise and improve your reading skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then read the text and do the exercises.

Reading text

It is estimated that about 40 per cent of the world’s population use social media, and many of these billions of social media users look up to influencers to help them decide what to buy and what trends to follow.

So what is an influencer and how do we become one?

An influencer is a person who can influence the decisions of their followers because of their relationship with their audience and their knowledge and expertise in a particular area, e.g. fashion, travel or technology.

Influencers often have a large following of people who pay close attention to their views. They have the power to persuade people to buy things, and influencers are now seen by many companies as a direct way to customers’ hearts. Brands are now asking powerful influencers to market their products. With some influencers charging up to $25,000 for one social media post, it is no surprise that more and more people are keen to become influencers too. If you are one of them, then here are five tips on how to do it.

1. Choose your niche

What is the area that you know most about? What do you feel most excited talking about? Find the specific area that you’re most interested in and develop it.

2. Choose your medium and write an interesting bio

Most influencers these days are bloggers and micro-bloggers. Decide which medium – such as your own online blog, Instagram or Snapchat – is the best way to connect with your followers and chat about your niche area. When you have done that, write an attention-grabbing bio that describes you and your speciality area in an interesting and unique way. Make sure that people who read your bio will want to follow you.

3. Post regularly and consistently

Many influencers post daily on their social media accounts. The more you post, the more likely people will follow you. Also, ensure that your posts are consistent and possibly follow a theme.

4. Tell an interesting story

Whether it is a photo or a comment that you are posting, use it to tell a story that will catch the attention of your followers and help them connect with you.

5. Make sure people can easily find your content

Publicise your posts on a variety of social media, use hashtags and catchy titles and make sure that they can be easily found. There is no point writing the most exciting blogposts or posting the most attractive photographs if no one is going to see them.

Most importantly, if you want to become a social media influencer, you need to have patience. Keep posting and your following will gradually increase. Good luck!

Do you need to improve your English reading skills?

B1 English level (intermediate)

Submitted by marwan297 on Wed, 03/08/2022 - 19:02

I follow a lot of influencers who talk about fields I'm interested in such as football, gaming, science and religion. If I decided to become an influencer, I would be a gamer and create a channel on YouTube because I love games so much and It will be the only thing I would like to do.

Submitted by jyoti Chaudhary on Mon, 30/05/2022 - 13:22

I have used social media in the past. I post daily updates on my Facebook account in fact I was crazy about posting anything. I usually post my progress on social media in what's an app and now it has been a long time since I didn't use any social media accounts. I deleted it after lockdown.

Submitted by timelord on Mon, 30/05/2022 - 10:20

Of course. I'm following many influencers. I like them so much .Because they always motivate me do my best so I grateful for this.They have variety of niches such as food,fashion,lifestyle,about mental health,fitness,makeup and beauty industry and so on. And I consider many of the people want to be influencers or some famous and well-known people because everyone will know and recognize you in the outside. And it's great. I want to show my followers probably my lifestyle, how I live and what things I do.My posts will about how love yourself and how know value of your because it's so essential and vital to know who you are and love yourself and your body .

Submitted by janani.k on Tue, 17/05/2022 - 16:31

Yes I do. Mostly I use Instagram and Youtube as a social media in everyday life.because i like to purchase some cosmetics products,dresses...and like to watch the reals some comedy memes ...there are different types of things ....

Submitted by pavi29 on Mon, 16/05/2022 - 15:41

Yes! I know much about influencers, I'm following some of them. They are niche in Mental health, beauty bloggers, and so on.. If I'm an influencer I always look up to things related to our mental peace, because many people needs this most in my concern.

Submitted by Laxsus on Sun, 13/03/2022 - 21:31

If i'm to become a social influencer, I'd jump onto the Gaming niche . I will do daily streams on youtube or twitc, besides posting on facebook and instagram about my personal life .

Submitted by Stela Stoycheva on Wed, 17/11/2021 - 21:49

Yes, social media is full with so many influencers which most of the time boast where are you been, what food they eat, what modern clothes they worn... I think these are people without important work to do... Before when we don`t have social media and life was without influencer... I have normal and beautiful life. Its strange for me, how 20 years girl will talk about the life :D I`m not sure, what she seen from it?!? In that point everyone who post in facebook photos, posts is a little bit influencer..

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Fri, 12/11/2021 - 10:03

i'm a big fan of BLACKPINK and BTS, all of them are Kpop idols but They are very influential in the fashion world. If i can become one of them i want to convey positive messages about life and love yourself.

Profile picture for user danisep

Submitted by danisep on Fri, 22/10/2021 - 23:37

Be an influencer it seems like a funny job but I think that behind that there's a job like any other and sometimes is kind of hard stay in front a camera and show the better face when they are facing a bad moment. but yeah I would like to be an influencer on instagram, TikTok and youtube to upload videos of me playing the guitar.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Mon, 18/10/2021 - 18:49

Off course, I know many social media influencer. Some social media influencer promote smoking product as cigarettes, Tobacco. This is very terrible. This is very harmful things. They do this for money.

Submitted by mangnb on Sun, 17/10/2021 - 15:00

Oh I know may influencers on youtube , facebook , ... Their niche is about game and gym. If I can become a influencer I will use Fb and Youtube

Submitted by Dariusz on Wed, 22/09/2021 - 14:35

I know some influencers who talk about hairdressing, products for hairstyling and fashion (very popular niches these days). If I became a social media influencer a would use youtube, facebook and Instagram as a medium and probably post about hair, fashion and swimming because of my hobby.
Profile picture for user iEdd

Submitted by iEdd on Thu, 22/07/2021 - 17:35

I know some influencers. But so far, I don't enjoy from them a lot, since I have been avoiding socil media influnce on my life. They are an idle dource of knowledge to me. In the hypothetical case I would be an influencer, I would use youtube, because as a scientist, I would spread my knowledge throught videos and conferences.

Submitted by Paula Bermúdez… on Thu, 15/07/2021 - 02:46

Yes, I've heard a lot about social media influencers. Nowadays, it's quite common to see them on the internet, as becoming an influencer is a trend. I believe the most usual area of influencers that I follow are food, beauty and comedy. On the other hand, if I were an influencer, I would like to create content about comedy and post it on Instagram and TikTok, because I consider these days they are the most used platforms.

Submitted by GiulianaAndy on Tue, 13/07/2021 - 18:18

Yes, I know two social media influencers their names are Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift. If you ask me about Selena Gomez niche area I think it is the lifestyle. She is usually endorsing fashion lifestyle, and if you ask me about Taylor Swift niche area I think it is the music. She is really good at singing. Her songwriting often takes inspiration from her personal life has received widespread critical plaudits and media coverage. If I became an influencer, I would post about health lifestyle and I would use Instagram to post all my stories

Submitted by In on Thu, 15/04/2021 - 23:26

I use to follow some vegan influencers. But not really much I`m out of that world.

Submitted by heeyitskate on Fri, 26/03/2021 - 13:48

If you became a social media influencer, what medium would you use and what would you post about? Actually, I'm keen on some social media influencers in such niche areas as fashion, travelling and sport. However, to be honest, I hardly ever follow their recommendations. If I became a social media influencer, I'd post my ideas on Instagram and Snapchat. As for niche areas, I'd post about travelling abroad, fitness and fashion.

Submitted by Rano on Wed, 17/03/2021 - 11:51

I know one the best influencer for me, she post really expression and story her live I like to following her in the social media. For me can not be om influencer because iam poor writing

Submitted by Asni on Mon, 01/03/2021 - 23:01

I'm not very keen on social media...I use some Youtube channels, mostly about English, nutrition, fitness or yoga, but there is nobody who has ever influenced any of my decisions or persuaded me to buy any kind of products or services. If I became a social media influencer, I'd use a variety of social media Facebook, Instagram, Youtube.. because if I ever try and do it, I'd do my best to post something that's is worth seeing and more likely to be admired by as many people as possible and therefore I'd try to take advantage of a wide range of mediums. Regarding the area I'd choose, I think I feel most excited talking about fitness and nutrition.

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Sat, 27/02/2021 - 20:24

I know some social media influencers, for example Patrick jordan, she is a woman who posts workout routines. If I were to become a social media influencer, I would use Facebook Twitter, Instagram, youtube, etc. I would post about education, books, pedagogy and didactics.

Submitted by Antoni Luna on Tue, 23/02/2021 - 18:30

If I became a social media influencer, I would to post on Instagram about Filmmaking and Cinematography. Because I consider myself a master on creating and telling stories.

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Mon, 22/02/2021 - 00:05

I am aware of a social media influencer, namely Matt Morrisa of the United Kingdom. His niche area is fitness, and he also has contracts with Gym shark and my protein-to promote their products. I would like to use youtube to share my passion of poetry.

Submitted by Dmytro on Mon, 08/02/2021 - 14:48

I know no one social media influencer personally, but I chose some of them to follow on social media. Both, content and an influencer as a person should be interesting. An influencer have to feel his audience. Followers do not want to feel like to be influenced. I believe there is a thin line between selling goods and ideas and retaining followers. Unfortunately, there are not to many social media influencers who is able to wrap their proposition into interesting content.

Submitted by Yalincocuuk on Fri, 29/01/2021 - 01:25

I know a lot of influencers from all around the world but I don't have an idea what their niches area are. Mostly they have no specialities to influence people but luckily they are known by all. In my idea their followers don't know too why they follow these influencers. If you have a lot of followers in today's world, people thinks you are good, attractive, stylish etc. If you don't have, why do you live in this new world?

Submitted by Thinthinmyoe on Tue, 05/01/2021 - 10:33

In our country, there are many different influencers in various fields.I know Travel Queen.She is one of the most famous influencers in Traveling.Her posts are very interesting.I love her. If I were an influenced of social media, l would like to be a motivational speaker especially for women.

Submitted by Ehsan on Wed, 16/12/2020 - 07:08

Yes, I do. There are many faces that can be mentioned, for instance, Ronaldo in the field of football, Devine Johnson in the field of cinema and sport, and etc. If I became an influencer, I would use Instagram for sharing posts in the field of Fitness and trading.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Fri, 11/12/2020 - 14:08

Influenza... ?? ;)

Submitted by jose1999 on Thu, 10/12/2020 - 20:34

I totally agree with this idea. I suppose it has good examples to people who want to become influencers. I suggest you reading a lot about this subject if you want to be an influencers someday.

Submitted by buseinc on Sun, 08/11/2020 - 06:55

I know a lot of social media influencers. Their niche areas are shopping and beauty in general. They are always suggesting new products. If I became a influencer, I would want to post about new technological products. I want to introduce them to my followers and tell them are they really useful or are they useless and the product is a waste of money.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Sat, 24/10/2020 - 14:03

Who is the most famous social media influencer? Donald Trump?? ;)

Submitted by Steaks Brother on Sun, 11/10/2020 - 11:29

I know some social media influencers ,they are excel at different area. For example ,some of them are good at art ,some are good at baking. And some are expert in areas like music ,technology. But , if I want to become a social media influencer ,those will not be my choice. I will like to become a food taster , which I can try a lot of delicious cuisines and write down my comments ,while gaining advertising fees at the same time.

Submitted by Steak on Sun, 11/10/2020 - 11:09

If I’m a social media influencer, I’ll post something about baking, such as the production of a dessert or comment to a baking tool. That way, I might get some advertisement from bakery or store that sells baking products, than I can receive a lot of desserts, tools, or even become a food taster.
Profile picture for user danisep

Submitted by danisep on Wed, 07/10/2020 - 02:50

Be influencer! That's the dream of the new generation. It seems awesome, those people just travel, enjoy life, go to parties all the time.. anyway could be interesting be a twitch influencer or youtube to play guitar in lives shows. Looks scary staying in front of thousands but some of those people in twitch even don't show their faces.
Profile picture for user Ivy Yang

Submitted by Ivy Yang on Sat, 26/09/2020 - 16:21

There are a lot of social meadia influencers in my country, and most of them use Instagram and Youtube. They often post things about lifestyles, make up and foods. A huge number of those influencers are celebrities. If I became a social media influencer, I would use Instagram since it is popular with youngsters in my country and I would post things about lifestyles and food. I think it would be a good idea to show everyone on earth how would my life be like.

Submitted by KY on Thu, 24/09/2020 - 18:48

Yes, I know. Their niche areas are makeup and tecnology If I became a social media influencer, would use instagram, facebook and others social networks and would post about makeup and dance.

Submitted by Nehir on Thu, 17/09/2020 - 07:36

Yes, I know. There are a lot of influencers in my countary and they have a lot of niche areas. Cosmetic, technology, beatuy, fashion etc. If I became a influencer, I would use Instagram and You Tube. I would share about foods, my travel experiences, what we can do for achieve a success or how can we study easier and funnier. These are most interesting topics for me.

Submitted by Nobu1230 on Sun, 16/08/2020 - 12:55

I know of some influencers using different social media.The most of them use instagram or youtube because that is popular in my country,in particular among teenager.They posts in various areas,for instance,cosmetic,sports,fasion,beauty,game. If I became a influencer,I would post about surfing on Youtube.I will surf everyday and eat and recommed famous foods in the coast area.This life is my dream and I hope this dream come ture.

Submitted by senes19 on Fri, 14/08/2020 - 11:04

I would like to become a social media influencers. But I will not only charging money but also to attract to people interesting to the people's introubles. For example in my conytry there are many innocent people who don't accept the governors faults in the prison. But most of people suppose that this people who are in the jail are accused of any criminal matter. But it is not true. If any influencer brings up this topic to the publics agenda, maybe many of them can be free and gain their freedom. I would like to post these topics. In the life money is not everything though it is necessary to continue your life.

Submitted by mali nicklass on Mon, 10/08/2020 - 09:59

Yes, I know an influencer who's traveling a lot. She is very active on Instagram and she always posts pictures in different places. If I came to be an influencer I want to travel a lot and want to show my viewers every country.

Submitted by Nanami on Sun, 09/08/2020 - 13:48

Yes, I know some social media influencers. I like to use Instagram and often watch it. There are many niche area for Instagram influencers. For example, interior, clothes and travel. Instagram is an app that the person shares pictures and let people see them, so every influencers are obsessive about how to take pictures to make the products they want to advertise look better. They not only take attractive pictures but also write skillful comments. For example, in the food post,"If you don't eat, you lose." and in the skincare post,"I don't want to tell anymore because it's too comfortable!" If I become a influencer, I would post about food or cosmetics.

Submitted by ryota on Thu, 06/08/2020 - 10:14

I know a lot of social media influencers. There are many kinds of niche areas. For example, art, fashion, food, music and so on. I often use Twitter and Youtube. I see many famous people’s account. They usually post about their hobby and daily life. Sometimes, they advertise the goods at the request of the company. Some of them make a living from the advertising fees they receive from companies. They have great influence, so the advertised goods sell well. I’ve bought goods they advertise. If I become a social media influencer, I want to advertise many goods requests of companies and get a lot of advertising fees.
Profile picture for user Hennadii

Submitted by Hennadii on Thu, 06/08/2020 - 10:10

There are a lot of so-called social media influencers in my country and most of them chose a political area for their business. It's a hot topic in my country because we have many different conflicts inside and a war in add. So many of us pay huge attention to what the influencers post in social media. Sadly but true, that most of them came to be the traitors and all their posts, blogs, thoughts, etc turn out to be a fake or even propaganda. In this case, I try to be careful about choosing the influencer to follow and rely on mostly my own opinions and knowledge.

Submitted by Osuke on Thu, 06/08/2020 - 08:53

Yes, I do. I usually use Twitter, Instagram and YouTube. There are influencers introducing various things. For example, clothes, games, toys, cosmetics, and much more. And the ones I like the most are the people who post dogs. I love both dog photos and videos. If I became a social media influencer, I would like to post a healing video of a cute dog. I am on the side of being healed by such videos and photos, but I want to go to the side of healing someday. It’s a difficult to keep a pet, I’ll be patient with the dog’s post.

Submitted by Riko on Sat, 01/08/2020 - 12:16

Yes, I know. For example, Instagramers. There are many people who introduce about trend of fashion on Instagram. I often see their post and check the trend items. I refer to their post before I buy new clothes. There is an other example. Some people introduce about how to diet.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Fri, 31/07/2020 - 15:54

Where will the ad company go in the future?

Submitted by naru on Fri, 31/07/2020 - 10:59

Yes I do. Mostly I use Instagram and Youtube as a social media in everyday life. Especially, my favorite influencer is the person who post a lot of picture of his or her cat on instagram. The person post only cat's pictures or story. So I'm not sure the people's gender. And I'm always healed by them. If I become a social influencer, I wanna post about my cat and heal someone like me.