An invitation to a party

Listen to some phone messages with directions to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Automated message: You have two new messages. Message number one, received today at 3.45 p.m.

Hi, it's me. How's it going? I guess you're at work and you don't have your phone on, right? First of all, thank you, THANK YOU for the birthday card and message. I received it this morning. That's so nice of you. I'm organising a little party for my birthday. It's nothing very big – only a few of my best and closest friends. That means you too! We're going to have it at my cousin's house. She lives in the countryside in a nice big house with a swimming pool. I'd love to see you there. It's going to be this Friday. I'll send you the instructions on how to get there later, OK?

Anyway, have fun at work. Don't work too hard, OK? Talk soon.

Automated message: You have two new messages. Message number two, received today at 5.15 p.m.

Aw, you're still not answering your phone! OK, here are the instructions to get to my cousin's house for the party. Are you going to take your car? If you take the car, drive straight on Forest Road until you get to the motorway. Drive past Brownsville and take exit 13A. That's 13A. You drive down the road there and turn left. It's the first big house on the right. OK? If you're taking a bus, you can get the number 80 to Brownsville. Call me when you get there and somebody can pick you up in a car. I can't wait. This is going to be so great!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

A2 English level (pre-intermediate)

Submitted by ahmed. hamdy on Thu, 22/09/2022 - 22:08

what a nice voice! I wish i can go to the party instead of that person! 😍

Submitted by kulluk on Fri, 16/09/2022 - 09:54

ı give my home's google map link for find easy

Submitted by katiavel on Mon, 05/09/2022 - 02:09

I live in São Luis and it is easy going for anywhere because is a small city. We dont have many free parkings for cars and the public bus isn't confortable but is safe. For find a direction, you can use the google map.

Submitted by LearningTeaching on Wed, 31/08/2022 - 12:59

I live in Baku.My city is very big.That is easy to getting lost,but Very people using google map and they find any adress in the map.In short, there is no getting lost if you have internet.

Submitted by amal3535 on Sat, 20/08/2022 - 18:28

It's easy to get to my house but I always give my friends directions

Submitted by Nandar Su Hlaing on Thu, 18/08/2022 - 10:46

Yes, it is not difficult to find my house, I always need to give instruction my friends who visited my home. I have to pick them up in bus stop or places where they arrived near my home.

Submitted by Noval on Tue, 09/08/2022 - 15:01

It is easy to get lost in my town, but I never lost myself.

Submitted by Aciredef66 on Tue, 02/08/2022 - 17:56

I live in a small town, near the center. It's a medieval town. Getting lost in its little ancient streets could be very funny but you can't because it isn't a large town.

Submitted by betty82 on Tue, 02/08/2022 - 03:22

Yes, many times, people get lost in my city, because it's very big and little signpost. I have given a few times directions to people, but I don't locate them well on the streets and motorways.

Submitted by najib.oulhouch on Sun, 24/07/2022 - 21:58

i leave in medium town, but near to my house you you found multiple building and a lot of streets, also a people whose sell a things.
for me it's easy to found my house, however my friends get a hours to found it.

Submitted by Capt_hejazi on Fri, 22/07/2022 - 12:47

Yes all of the guests they lost when visited me because my town it’s wide and the maps didn’t work in my country so that’s one of reasons here but by the way I feel comfortable when I help people

Submitted by badboyzz on Mon, 27/06/2022 - 12:18

Yes it is easy to get lost in my town because My town is so crowded and wide. I sometimes gives directions to visitors.I love help to visitors.I think Every people have to visit to Turkey.Because İt has amazing culture and hıstorical area.

Submitted by Mohamed Ahmed … on Sat, 25/06/2022 - 12:31

right now is difficult to get lost in my territory cause there is a technological aid which help to get the right directions and car's driver those like a Google map but in the land

Submitted by mohamed nady on Sat, 11/06/2022 - 07:31

Yes, a lot of times cause i live in big city with every day improvement on roads with a lot of changing and a lot of new bridges. Government trying to solve jam problem and crowded streets when i get lost i use google maps to find my way, yes, i described a route to a visitor i tried to be simple and direct

Submitted by Kseniazinar on Sat, 04/06/2022 - 15:39

No, it isn't. The reason is my town is not large, I'd even say it's so small and I know this territory completely because I walked here a lot and know all the places, and sometimes it's boring for to me walk here and I want something else. And no, I've never given any instructions to the visitors. I was asked though. However
I'm so shy and just go: 'I don't live in this city, I'm a guest too'. Maybe it's odd. And so sorry for my mistakes, I know my English isn't good, and if you want you can correct me)

Submitted by Bmorales on Wed, 25/05/2022 - 12:13

Not at all, here (Caracas) it's very easy to locate, because in addition to giving the address, we use references

Submitted by Youssef Karfouh on Tue, 26/04/2022 - 23:17

yeah absolutely, it's easy to get lost in my town because it's big and has a lot of alleys, i rarely give directions to strangers because of the internet now and google maps

Submitted by Andres Cuchimaque on Tue, 26/04/2022 - 22:35

Yes, it is. Sometimes, I have given directions to tourist, and to coworkers when come to Colombian offices

Submitted by Kamelbenslimane on Mon, 04/04/2022 - 10:57

Yes, it's easy to get lost in my town because it's very large. I never give direction to a visitor because I'm new in my city.

Submitted by Ehsan on Tue, 08/02/2022 - 06:28

I live in a town near a big city. my town isn't big and no one get lost. but the city near my town is a big city and everybody can get lost if he doesn't know address. because the city is big, giving address is a little problem.

Submitted by jmajo on Wed, 02/02/2022 - 11:45

No it isn't, luckily I live near a bridge and a big hotel, so it's a bit easy to give directions to people when they need to come to my house. Although all the streets in my town are not straight there are lots of references to avoid get lost.
I usually give directions to older people whom are not familiar with technology because they don't use google maps or other apps to help them go where they want to, but most of the people nowadays don't need directions to get where they want to go because with the address of the house is enough information to find it in one of those apps and get there easily.

Thanks for the lesson.
Great site!

Submitted by zehrizer on Mon, 20/12/2021 - 10:12

I dont know about other people but ı can get lost easy. My ability of direction is so bad. I m not the best to give instruction for adress.
Note to english team: can you please correct my falls

Hello zehrizer,

We're not generally able to correct our users' texts, though we're happy to help with specific questions about a specific sentence or phrase.

In this case, I'd change 'ability' to 'sense' and 'to give instruction for adress' to 'at giving directions'.

Submitted by helgamudanisse90 on Tue, 23/11/2021 - 15:47

It is not easy to get lost in my city, because we have the name of the streets in each corner. Beside that, the way the streets were built or disigned is not difficult to understand. I have never given directions to visitors in my city because no one asked me before.

Submitted by ANOUAR on Mon, 22/11/2021 - 09:15

Yes I still remember that I have given instructions about the direction to a visitors.

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Mon, 15/11/2021 - 15:07

my town is a place quite modern so Don't worry that you will get lost. However, sometimes i still I still show the way to a few passengers from other places.

Submitted by azharbgskr on Sat, 13/11/2021 - 16:29

No, it isn't. My town has a clear road signs, so you can follow them easily. I have never give a directions to a visitor because no one asked me, LOL.

Submitted by KyawMinThu on Sat, 30/10/2021 - 16:31

No, It isn’t . I was born in Myanmar. As a citizen of Myanmar, I am in friendly with so many roads in my town. I had given a direction to a foreigner for his lunch time. It had been about a year ago.

Submitted by bento16 on Wed, 27/10/2021 - 19:08

Of course not. I've been living in the same small city since I was born. And yes, I've ever given directions to visitor several times.

Submitted by vuhoap on Mon, 25/10/2021 - 13:57

I am living in Japan now. Nowadays we are easy to use google maps for tracking the current location. So I think that it is hard to get lost in my town. Besides. I haven't ever given directions to a visitor because I am also a foreigner who came to work in Japan. So that, I have been given directions from the Japanese person.

Submitted by FaridANG200 on Mon, 18/10/2021 - 18:42

Of course, i live in Paris, there are a lot of visitor and may some of them ask me their directions. I give them
it's is very easy to lost himself in Paris

Submitted by ngocha on Mon, 18/10/2021 - 02:24

i live in small town so it very difficult to lost in my hometown. But when i go out of my hometown, I have lost anytime

Submitted by gutodarbem on Wed, 13/10/2021 - 12:32

Yes, it is easy to get lost in my town. I have given directions to a visitors, but I don't know if they could find the loc

Submitted by Izan Garcia on Wed, 13/10/2021 - 10:17

In my town is difficult to get lost but in the mountain it is possible. I have given them directions for going to the town hall.

Submitted by JanMateos on Wed, 13/10/2021 - 10:11

In my town it's not very difficult to get lost because it's a little town.
I remember once I have given directions to a visitor, he asked me where the football field was.I inadvertently told him the wrong address, I felt bad but it wasn't my fault.

Submitted by abdullah-4351 on Sat, 09/10/2021 - 10:55

My brother Mohamed was in a trip and when he back to home . I told him the directions from the airport to the house. I remember that i failed in describe the directions😯. So he still out the house for many hours 😅

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Wed, 06/10/2021 - 01:15

No, where I'm live there is no chance to lost. Everybody have a smartphone with advance technology. I'm still never lost in anywhere.

Submitted by ENGLISHMAN on Sat, 25/09/2021 - 07:49

In the past giving direction to visitors, it's look as normal routine in our daily life but, today with advance technology like Google Map no need for that just open your navigation satlite app and start going.
Profile picture for user PuenteD

Submitted by PuenteD on Thu, 05/08/2021 - 01:27

In my town is very difficult to get lost... We have one way in both directions... No more... But, if you need to move by the mountains or rivers, the true is that you get lost...

Submitted by KATIELLE RAIAN… on Thu, 15/07/2021 - 09:28

In my city it's very easy to get lost, because it's a very big city. Several times I have already given instructions to visitors.

Submitted by SaraMessa on Tue, 13/07/2021 - 18:11

I live in a small town, so it's not easy to get lost. My town is famous for a sanctuary and often there are some visitors. Sometimes I give them directons for going to sanctuary.

Submitted by Oussama Touzani on Mon, 12/07/2021 - 23:35

its easy to get lost in my city, because its so big and there is less indication , so its useful to move by bus or other public transportation to visit the monument or others famous places

Submitted by PeterG on Tue, 22/06/2021 - 02:06

To be honest, I live in a small town called La Leonesa, so It's too difficult to lost in it. Also, it isn't a touristic place, thus there aren't any tourists here. But, one time I gave an instruction to someone that cames from Buenos Aires. That's was so difficult to explain because I don't know where that specific place!
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Fri, 14/05/2021 - 15:51

With a good guy, I don't think it's easy to get lost in the world. :)

Submitted by Brona on Fri, 14/05/2021 - 10:18

If you ask me if its easy to get lost in your town then I would say yes, as I still do find difficult to move around London. Without my phone GPS or road signs I would be totally lost. As for giving directions to someone I would say it could be other way round, as its me most of the time asking for the same.

Submitted by Veronikka on Mon, 10/05/2021 - 00:11

Well, I live in Chaclacayo in Lima, Perú. It's a little and nice borough. It's in the countryside. I think it's no easy to get lost in it. For the second question, before pandemic I've given directions to visitors. Now, I don't go out from my house, so I'm not getting to speak with other people.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Thu, 06/05/2021 - 15:10

It is easy to get lost in my town where winding roads are everywhere. ;)