Meeting a new team member

Listen to a conversation between two new colleagues to practise your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Peter: Hi, my name's Peter. What's your name?

Carla: Hi, Peter. I'm Carla. I'm new here.

Peter: Welcome to the company, Carla.

Carla: Thanks, Peter. I'm happy to be here and it's nice to meet you.

Peter: It's nice to meet you too.

Carla: Where do you work?

Peter: I work in the design team. We sit over there.

Carla: I'm in the marketing team. I started last week.

Peter: You work in marketing? That's very interesting.

Carla: Yes, it is. I'm enjoying it. But there are a lot of new things to learn.

Peter: I'm sure there are. I'm happy to help you if I can.

Carla: Thank you, Peter. What do you do in the design department?

Peter: I design new products.

Carla: That sounds interesting. I plan marketing events for new products. So I think we'll work together sometimes.

Peter: That would be great. So, where are you from, Carla?

Carla: Brazil. And you?

Peter: I'm from the UK.

Carla: How long have you been here?

Peter: I've worked here for three years but I actually moved here from the UK five years ago, to study.

Submitted by Kavi on Sun, 26/05/2019 - 03:48

When I meet new people i talk about our details.Specially I ask their names.after i talk about our countries,family background,profession etc. I like to meet new people & introduce myself.

Submitted by Ana Luisa Sanc… on Fri, 10/05/2019 - 16:56

Hello everyone, In my job is usual be in touch with new teams, members, and new places. Is great and enrich know new people

Submitted by kamal.buet on Tue, 07/05/2019 - 04:06

When i meet new people for the first time, we first introduce ourselves. Afterwards we talk about our professions and the companies we serves. If the person is interesting, we extend the conversion about our countries, hobbies and cultures. we try to avoid to ask personal questions for the first time.

Submitted by Setareh on Sun, 28/04/2019 - 03:42

when I meet people for the first time I question them first name and education , its job and finally I say to them to be success;

Submitted by Stanley Alvarez on Fri, 19/04/2019 - 20:54

Usually, when I meet new people I talk about our names, countries and professions. If conversation is more interesting, I ask where is he/she live, what do he/she think about my country/city, how long he/she has thought to stay here and so on.

Submitted by Adem-new on Thu, 18/04/2019 - 11:47

When I meet any people first I can try to know them about the country, language, etc. I also wondering their cultures furthermore what they do. if we get on each other I continue to talk to them.

Submitted by César Árraga on Tue, 16/04/2019 - 01:25

When I meet people for the first time I greet to the person then I usually introduce me and I ask his/her name. Depending on the circumstance, for example, moments before a job interview I ask to my partner too: what did you study in? which university or institute did you study?, why did you study this career?, etc.

Submitted by mehrazin on Mon, 08/04/2019 - 18:13

Dear British Council team when i meet people for the first time I introduce myself and I prefer to talk about different matters , firstly i like to be informed of any personal information about him such as the age and marital status and his job etc .... then if everything are OK I will go on talking about social matters and political discussions . then i ll talk about my favorite ones to see how much we are in common ... best regards

Submitted by cittàutopica on Thu, 04/04/2019 - 19:39

It depends on the situations: for example, if I meet people for the first time in a party, I try to abstain from the questions too personal; instead, in the working groups, I ask some informations about the work esperience, etc.

Submitted by Olena Stefkivska on Sat, 30/03/2019 - 10:53

Hi) This is very interesting and useful video:) It would be great if you made it possible to download the transcript and tasks)

Submitted by Peter M. on Sun, 31/03/2019 - 07:47

In reply to by Olena Stefkivska

Hello Olena, Thank you for the suggestion. We're doing a lot of work on the site at the moment and one of the things we are doing is creating PDFs of the transcript and exercises for this and other Listening pages. Sometime fairly soon they should be ready. Peter The LearnEnglish Team
Dear Peter Please, Could you tell me wich it other Listening pages there are? Also, I'd like to practice it in a future. Best regards. Cesar.

Submitted by Peter M. on Tue, 16/04/2019 - 06:45

In reply to by César Árraga

Hello Cesar Arraga, You can find our listening pages here: https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/listening ~ To find material on a particular language point or on particular topics, or to practise particular skills, you can use our search page: https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/content Scroll down past the test and you'll see the search tool. ~ Peter The LearnEnglish Team