A phone call from a customer

Listen to the phone call from a customer to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Junko: Hello, Junko Mori speaking. How can I help you?

Andrea: Hi, Junko, it's Andrea here from Red Band. I'm calling about our latest order.

Junko: Everything arrived OK, right? We got the delivery confirmation at our end.

Andrea: Yes, everything's fine with the order. I'm calling about the invoice and the payment terms. I need a favour.

Junko: A favour? What do you need?

Andrea: This is a little, er ... difficult, but I need an extension on the payment terms. I know they're usually 30 days, but we're having some cash flow problems. You'd really be helping us out if you could extend it to 60 days.

Junko: I'm not sure if I can do that, Andrea. We've got regulations at our end, and also have to manage our own cash flow.

Andrea: I promise this won't become the norm, Junko. Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time. It's for an important customer and they pay on delivery.

Junko: I see. So your cash flow problem will be solved after this new order is delivered.

Andrea: Exactly.

Junko: That sounds good. Hold on, Andrea. Let me see what I can do. Yes, I think we can make an exception this time.

Andrea: That's great, Junko. I appreciate your help.

Junko: And we appreciate your business, Andrea. It works both ways.

Andrea: Thanks again, Junko. Can you send me a quick email confirmation of the payment terms extension?

Junko: Sure, no problem. We're happy to help you.

Andrea: Great. And I'll email you the new order.

Junko: Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it. Talk to you soon.

Andrea: You too. Goodbye.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

B1 English level (intermediate)

Submitted by Ehsan on Wed, 06/04/2022 - 07:04

of course, the clients who are important for us and have much deal with us, we should do some exception for them.

Submitted by Samah Hasan on Mon, 04/04/2022 - 21:28

I think exception mean that we use it rarely and if situation is really critical so agent should be clever to determine when he can make exception for customer

Submitted by dongol4u on Sat, 02/04/2022 - 12:03

From working experience, our client always ask me to give them an exception on payment terms. But in this case I noted that it is the first time Andrea asked for an exception. If it my decision I think I will approve on his exception.

Submitted by Chris Evan on Fri, 01/04/2022 - 09:52

I have not done favours and exceptions for clients cause I'm a student and I've never done any works or part time.But I think,i will give favours to our important costumers and our trusted customers.

Submitted by siavash on Sat, 26/03/2022 - 17:39

Haaa, This reminded me of my biggest problem at work, our customers always bargain on extending the payment time. They are always late and sometimes bring some excuses that make it worse, because believing on them makes us somehow stupid!!!

Submitted by Christygo on Fri, 11/03/2022 - 08:42

From the tone of their conversation, we can infer that Andrea is a regular and important customer. And I think the supplier gave him a favor not only because he is an important client and he is trustworthy but because this decision would not cause any problem. so what I mean is that I will do a favor for my client if the conditions permit. It depends.

Submitted by sunomo on Wed, 02/03/2022 - 00:25

Yes, of course. You need to form good and trustworthy relationships with permanent customers. In this case they will call your company again and place a new order.

Submitted by eunocanada on Thu, 17/02/2022 - 00:54

I worked in customer's service, and sometimes I could be flexible with clients and propose new solutions that made them more satisfied than the first options offered by the previous attendant.

Submitted by Fabiano on Tue, 15/02/2022 - 15:48

I think it's important to help clients solve problems and have a good relationship, but without breaking the regulations.

Submitted by yosoyricardo on Sat, 29/01/2022 - 15:38

Always there is an exceptions, because the rules cannot be unbreakable. In my case im in charge of security policies so VIP always need to be treated different.

Submitted by amatris on Fri, 28/01/2022 - 07:07

I think It's good to give an extension but not for any customers, from the tone of their speech, Andrea was an important client for the company, so this expectation will bond the relationship between the customer and the supplier, but without excessing or breaking the regulations.

Profile picture for user danisep

Submitted by danisep on Sat, 15/01/2022 - 13:56

I've never been in this kind of situation due to the kind of job that I perform but if the client is important and is a good one, I mean if the client pays always on time I could do it, but if the favor represents a risk for my business it could be useful discuss more terms like I'll send you the new order if you pay at least the 40% of your last order

Submitted by Aymen Aouali on Mon, 10/01/2022 - 22:05

Always there are extensions in the payment terms especially in the pandemic.

Submitted by misty on Sat, 08/01/2022 - 17:40

Yes, I usually exchange shift or off days with my colleagues if they ask to especially if they have some important appointment on that day. Doing a favor to your friend, relative, colleague, or client is one act of kindness.

Submitted by Miguelitorico1996 on Fri, 07/01/2022 - 22:04

I've been working on collections for two years and I almost always give an extension to clients who are in a difficult cash flow situation, I usually give them a term of five days in order they can get the money.

Submitted by PeterG on Tue, 04/01/2022 - 14:14

Well, I have never done a favor to a client because I have never worked in a company but if I were working for a company, probably would help the important clients to keep the business. Although I wouldn´t do it always.

Submitted by SkylarZhope on Fri, 31/12/2021 - 06:16

To be honest, I am still a student, so I have never faced this kind of problem. But after listening to this audio, I would like to say, why not? If this client is important, who always has business with my company, I'll do this favour. However, I should also consider this client's integrity. I can help him once, but not more than twice.

Submitted by jmajo on Mon, 13/12/2021 - 15:27

Well, when I work as freelancer IT support, sometimes I have to do it for customers whom need a little discount to get the job done, but I try to do that only for special customers or relatives.

Thanks for the lesson.
Great site!

Submitted by Anyis21 on Sun, 05/12/2021 - 22:32

When I was working in a custom agency frequently we made exceptions in payment terms, discounts and work overtime to the clients who moved a lot quantity of goods because the benefits was mutual

Submitted by Isabella Vega on Fri, 03/12/2021 - 16:07

I just have made discounts of our loyal clients because, they're an important clients. So for them, we make exceptions when they buy our products, and they obtain a promotion or discount.

Yes, sometimes. It depends on the situation. I mean if the client is okay with his business, we will not agree with him to give an extension. But if he is in trouble, we will help you as soon as we can.

Submitted by Tania_p on Fri, 03/12/2021 - 15:41

Sometimes I could make exceptions in special cases, however I think it is important to know that all clients should be treated with the same respect and the same kindness.

Submitted by krislo on Thu, 02/12/2021 - 22:15

It is a situation, it was solved for the supplier, and he offer a excellent service, giving solutions to the customer, it may have helped in a future to keep a loyalty customer.

Submitted by isa19colombia on Thu, 02/12/2021 - 22:11

Yes, but only with exceptions that are appropriate and do not affect the company. Sometimes it is good to consider certain exceptions, as there may be justified inconveniences and it is not bad to provide help, since at some point you could be in a similar situation

Submitted by JariMariE on Thu, 02/12/2021 - 21:15

Mariana Estacio
I don't know, I think that I would, because I think that's not a good way, we have to try to do the same with all the clients we have, but you need to do a favor, that's fine.

Submitted by AngieVMejia on Thu, 02/12/2021 - 21:15

Hello, sometimes I have worked in customer service at clothes store and might the last size available fits for any special client that can't go to buy it that day, so you can do a favor saving that clothe and not offering to others.

Submitted by josua0317 on Thu, 02/12/2021 - 20:33

Yes I do, but sometimes it's a bit hard to do. Because it needs to be approved according to company's terms.

Submitted by tomytree22 on Tue, 30/11/2021 - 17:51

Yes I've applied some consideration for important clients , I'm a web programmer and sometimes there could exist a client with flow cash inconvenients They'll appreciate the consideration and you could build loyalty relationship

Yes i have done some exceptions for important clients like give them the possibility of paying when they receive the product, instead of paying before. I do this because i trusth them and i know after this favor they will make a new order.

Sometimes I have done this types of exceptions at my job, but that it depends. This types of favors is only consider to loyal customers, business that we know that could responses for the payment and keep these words.

We must always be willing to help customers, when they need a favor always being attentive to their needs and interests and do everything possible, to solve their needs and problems.

Yes, when I attend a good customer I do like to offer them possibilities to make the things easier for them. That includes apply some discount or exemption for those ones who I am interested on develop their loyalty with my product or service.

Submitted by K.kh on Tue, 23/11/2021 - 18:32

No,I haven't been given a chance to do faviour or make exceptions for any client because I'm a student and I don't work at any companies.But even if I worked I should be allowed to do it.It depends from that companie's laws.

Submitted by ceehinh on Wed, 17/11/2021 - 09:27

unfortunately, I haven't ever done favors or made exceptions for important clients. this is because I am a student so I haven't been the chance to do with clients. in my opinion, it's hard to avoid unexpected situations in work. so I think it depends on the reason and the client who is a really important person to make a good decision.

Submitted by taliafonseca on Mon, 15/11/2021 - 23:56

Sometimes I do. In my area it's important to understand their needs and to know when be open to make exceptions or no.

Submitted by ele_bonilla on Thu, 11/11/2021 - 21:16

Hi there!

Normally I don't. But, in special cases, if I'm able to look for some solution or exception, and, if the exception is in the company's policies...so yes, I do.

Normally i do some exceptions, because i don't work in an official company, i'm an independant photographer, so i am open to do some exceptions with special clients.

Submitted by vuhoap on Thu, 11/11/2021 - 00:23

Unfortunately, I don't ever do favours or make exceptions for important clients. Because, my current job position just needs to do a good job and don't need to communicate about it with clients.

Submitted by hacertasoluk on Tue, 09/11/2021 - 11:54

The cash flow is one of the most important things for companies. Even companies sometimes have cash flow management problems, they should know how manage to this problems. If they can't manage them, that will probablly make bigger other problems.

On the one hand, I agree with you and on the another hand, we have to know that the risk is something that we can't escaped from even if we are an excellent manager. Therefore, we feel like, we can pay at time, it's better to wonder an extension.

Submitted by mohabas45 on Mon, 08/11/2021 - 08:22

Making a favour sometimes its a normal, because helping of your client is one of the pillars of your business. so help the customers and keep in your your own cash flow.

Submitted by vienngoc2502 on Thu, 04/11/2021 - 03:44

Well, This topic reminds me the time when I was a shopkeeper. I had been the shopkeeper before I do my current work. And sure while I was working at a shop, a shop patron came to shopping. He had bought grocery before he had a favour. He forgot to bring money with. He asked me for help. And of course I was happy to help him. He wanted to pay it later. I said "didn't worry about it, let pay it next coming". He was really grateful for what I did. And he had appreciated my help. In short, I have done a favours for my clients

Submitted by danielbacelar on Tue, 26/10/2021 - 20:43

Exceptions happen and I always try to help my clients.

Submitted by gutodarbem on Sun, 24/10/2021 - 22:58

Yes. At the time my client requested to wait for one week to deeply analyze the contract

Submitted by sahar Mostafa on Thu, 21/10/2021 - 15:24

It depends on the customer history if it good l will extend the payment sure

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Wed, 06/10/2021 - 07:44

Yes, when customer is very important and his record is good then I'll make exceptions and do this. If customer record is not good then it's become risky to do this.

Submitted by nguyentatien254 on Fri, 01/10/2021 - 04:32

I have ever done a favour for my customer. I gave my students an extension on payment for the tuition.

Submitted by Rolabaik on Thu, 30/09/2021 - 09:56

Yes, I do if the client deserves this helping, it's all about the situation.