Making suggestions

In this video, Noelia and Yuna have a very good meeting. Listen to the language they use for making suggestions and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say!

Do you know what to say when you make suggestions? Listen out for useful language for making suggestions. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this!

Yuna: OK, this time let's focus. Phones off.

Noelia: Yes, and in my bag!

Yuna: Ready?

Noelia: I'm ready.

Yuna: We have half an hour.

Noelia: OK, let's go!

Yuna: How about starting with social media?

Noelia: Sure. Engagement is up 15 per cent this month.

Yuna: Good. So let's go for 20 per cent for next month.

Noelia: Yeah, sure. I'll tell the team. We'll need some extra help to make it work.

Yuna: Agreed. Good idea.

Yuna: Why don't you ask Vanya to help you create a new social media plan?

Noelia: OK, no problem. Shall we present it at the next team meeting together?

Yuna: Good plan. Can you let Paul see it first?

Noelia: Sure, I'll do that.

Yuna: Anything else?

Noelia: No, that's it.

Yuna: And that's half an hour! We did it!

Noelia: We're really good at this!

Ana: Hello again! Wow, that was a good meeting! So, did you notice the useful phrases used for making suggestions? Listen to me and then repeat.

Let's focus.

How about starting with social media?

Yeah, sure.

We'll need some extra help.

Agreed. Good idea.

Why don't you ask Vanya?

OK, no problem.

Shall we present it at the meeting?

Good plan.

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you make suggestions in English. Bye for now!

Submitted by Salem201 on Tue, 01/09/2020 - 05:43

Yes, always switching my phone off .. too much annoying especially when I study

Submitted by HeinHtetKyaw on Sun, 23/08/2020 - 22:25

I watched this video three two twice and memorized this 'engagement, present' thanks a lot

Submitted by shelly on Thu, 20/08/2020 - 10:48

Yes, when I am doing some urgent things or having an important meeting, I will turn off the phone or make it silence.

Submitted by Caterina Siligardi on Sun, 16/08/2020 - 17:36

Yes, sometimes I do. Especially when I study English or Ido difficult exercises.

Submitted by syllmz on Sat, 15/08/2020 - 13:54

I can’t switch my mobile phone because I need to contact some of my friends. But I know that mobile phones are time consuming when you have to focus on working.

Submitted by Amany mohamed on Fri, 14/08/2020 - 01:07

No,i make it mute

Submitted by Inesines on Fri, 07/08/2020 - 17:43

No ,I just turn it on mute.

Submitted by MammadovAnar on Mon, 03/08/2020 - 15:50

Do you ever switch off your mobile phone to help you focus? Yes. When I usually study hard I switch off my phone. Sometimes, I use the Pomodoro technique. The Pomodoro Technique is a time management method developed by Francesco Cirillo in the late 1980s. In this technique, the work is traditionally separated by short breaks (usually 5 minutes), 25 minutes long. For this, the timer is used.

Submitted by Momocompanyman on Sun, 02/08/2020 - 12:48

I'm used to switch off my phone when l focus in my project

Submitted by Ivanox76 on Wed, 29/07/2020 - 04:41

Switch off the phones before a meeting is absolutely important, I always do it, because that help to focus in the tasks of the company.

Submitted by Shonazar on Wed, 22/07/2020 - 20:52

Turning off the phone makes me depressed, so I just shut the volume down when need to concentrate.

Submitted by M19 on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 06:29

Never! It seems a bad thing for me to do especially on a working day. Keeping an open communication at the place of work is important. I think it's more efficient to put on the vibration/silent mode than to switch off the phone.

Submitted by M19 on Tue, 21/07/2020 - 06:20

Never! It seems a bad thing for me to do especially on a working day. Keeping an open communication at the place of work is important. I think it's more efficient to put on the vibration/silent mode than switching off the phone.

Submitted by Phan Bao Dung on Mon, 20/07/2020 - 19:25

Yes, I do. When I want to finish a task in a short time, I need a high focus and I switch off my phone or other equipment that makes me unfocus.

Submitted by lampenaca on Fri, 17/07/2020 - 23:55

No, never do that!

Submitted by Mahmoud Morsy on Fri, 17/07/2020 - 17:21

Yes, I usually do this.

Submitted by Asni on Thu, 16/07/2020 - 22:08

No, I'm not the kind of person that is often glued to the mobile phone. I rarely take it when I go out. And even when I was at university, I used to look at it a few minutes during the break to check my messages and emails. So, I think I don't need to switch it off to concentrate or focus. Even when I'm home, most of the time it is in silent mode, so that I look at it when it suits me and if I miss some calls, I just call them back.

Submitted by fariba on Mon, 13/07/2020 - 10:03

yeah i usually phone off for more concentration.

Submitted by bren on Thu, 09/07/2020 - 15:07

Nope, actually I just turn 'don't disturb' mode to help me focus and it's work for me to stay focus because chats and notifications isn't pop up

Submitted by mohnuriman on Thu, 09/07/2020 - 06:04

This topic is so interesting. I will try to speak those aspects related to making suggestions in English more often. Thank you

Submitted by LarisaAlp on Mon, 06/07/2020 - 19:13

I can switch off my phone when I am in any public place (cinema, concert, and etc).

Submitted by Hennadii on Wed, 01/07/2020 - 15:59

Nope, never done that before. However, my phone sometimes hampers me to do what I need. I'm a little bit addicted to social media )) On the other hand, I can miss some important call if my phone would be switched off. I try to train my self-control and don't distract my attention the phone

Submitted by A Yar Kyaw on Mon, 29/06/2020 - 15:55

yes.i often switch off my phone when i wanna stay alone and self study in my room.whatever thank you so much for your lessons.i get new phrases.

Submitted by Selin on Sun, 28/06/2020 - 00:20

Yes, I need to switch off my mobile phone while I am sitting at home study by myself. It is very difficult to focus while alone with a smart phone by side. But I find it is very easy to switch off my phone when I have a meeting or class and in the cinema. Study papers show this is because the cost for been supervised is very low when people stay alone.

Submitted by abudo93 on Sat, 27/06/2020 - 07:40

Yes, I did that in many times, specially when I want to read and study for the exam.