Meeting new people

In this video, Vanya meets Emir and Yuna. Listen to the language they use for meeting new people and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say!

Do you know what to say when you meet new people? Listen out for useful language for meeting new people. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Vanya: Hi.

Emir: Hello.

Vanya: Are you Paul?

Emir: No, I'm not. But he asked me to meet you. I'm Emir. You must be Vanya.

Vanya: Yes, I am. Nice to meet you.

Emir: You too. Can I show you the office?

Vanya: Perfect. Thanks.

Emir: So how was your journey?

Vanya: It was fine and it's great to be here!

Emir: Well, it's great to have you here. Can I get you a coffee?

Vanya: Oh, yes, please.

Emir: Ah, Yuna, this is Vanya.

Yuna: Oh, hi, I'm Yuna. Nice to meet you. Welcome to the team!

Ana: Hello again! That went well. OK, did you notice the useful phrases used for meeting new people? Listen to me and then repeat.

Hi, I'm Yuna.

You must be Vanya.

Nice to meet you.

You too.

This is Vanya.

So how was your journey?

It's great to be here!

Welcome to the team!

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you meet new people in English. Bye for now!

Do you need to improve your English speaking skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English speaking skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

A1 English level (elementary)

Submitted by J-Castle on Tue, 27/09/2022 - 11:00

Do you like meeting new people?
Absolute no !!
I’m a shy and introverted person.
During the COVID 19 lockdown, I spent a lot of time in my home and I was a happy man.
In spite of the confinement my family and I used the time perfectly, studying online, cooking, doing homework and even I repaired some stuff (handyman).
As conclusion I do not like meet new people.

Submitted by Kelyoh on Wed, 14/09/2022 - 21:46

yes, i like it , i would like to improve my speaking for have a great conversatión with them .

Submitted by patipatka34 on Wed, 14/09/2022 - 12:00

Yes I like meeting new people. In fact, I am studying at University and I meet new people all the time, you know, I will not hide from them so yes, that's the student life.

Submitted by farshid2993 on Tue, 06/09/2022 - 09:29

yes because we can to learn many thing and get many information

Submitted by jeffaoamorim on Mon, 05/09/2022 - 19:46

I really like meeting more people. Even more so now that I am learning the English language, it would be amazing to meet native people.

Submitted by SABRINA PEREIR… on Fri, 26/08/2022 - 16:26

I love meeting new people, I always learn something good or bad hahahhah

Submitted by Sofía02 on Tue, 16/08/2022 - 04:21

Not really, because I find it hard to talk to people. I’m shy and I’m not good at taking the first step in a conversation.

Submitted by sg_milad on Sun, 07/08/2022 - 19:01

no i hate the people

Submitted by Youssef Karfouh on Thu, 21/07/2022 - 12:37

Yeah, absolutely I really like to meet new people, because you learn more about their culture, religion, country, mother tongue... so I can exchange information with each other

Submitted by huahua on Wed, 13/07/2022 - 03:48

Sometimes it is great. But I think it's always not good.

Submitted by SaniyaJ on Mon, 13/06/2022 - 20:05

Yes, now i like meeting new people and i try to talk to them. Before, I used to avoid them and preferred staying in my comfort circle but now I know its a great opportunity to hone my communication skills and help in building a social circle.

Submitted by ivelez18 on Wed, 08/06/2022 - 14:21

Hello, I like to meet new people, mainly because always you learn something about them and their cultures.

Submitted by Ansam Yousef on Thu, 02/06/2022 - 15:33

Yes , I like to meet a new people

Submitted by jyoti Chaudhary on Sat, 28/05/2022 - 12:53

Do you like meeting new people?

absolutely I like to meet new people I regularly meet new people because of my job. I feel happy to meet different types of people who live in a different places.

Submitted by Bena - Mustafa on Wed, 18/05/2022 - 13:05

yes I like to meet a new people splashily if they're from different century to learn me a new word

Submitted by meeryam.a on Mon, 16/05/2022 - 11:26

I like so much meet new people and talk with them, that let me so happy

Submitted by Than Kutay Soe on Mon, 04/04/2022 - 23:31

Yes, I like meeting new people, and I often meet them everywhere because I am a new student at Nagoya University. Meeting new people could help you to learn new things.

Submitted by bossym on Mon, 04/04/2022 - 11:45

I like meeting new people

Submitted by Philemon on Tue, 22/02/2022 - 19:38

Yes, I always like to meet new people.

Submitted by Amin Kourani on Wed, 16/02/2022 - 08:49

Do you like meeting new people?
I'd like to meet new people who think like me!

Submitted by jyoti Chaudhary on Mon, 24/01/2022 - 15:16

Yes, I do. I probably love to meet new people. Whenever I meet with new people I'll use these phrases.

Submitted by dainien521 on Thu, 20/01/2022 - 08:42

i love meeting new people because i will learn something from them such as new aspect or story that they have been through. new friends can help us a lot in our work as well as our mental health because we have more friends and maybe some of them we trust and share our story with them.

Submitted by Kamelbenslimane on Tue, 04/01/2022 - 17:30

Yes, I really like to meet new people.

Submitted by Sagoon on Fri, 03/12/2021 - 15:27

Certainly I love to meet new people and talk to exchange knowledge each other I think it's very fun.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Mon, 29/11/2021 - 09:59

I like very much to meet new people and make friends. Meeting new people is always excited me and I always ready for this.

Submitted by Anwar68 on Fri, 26/11/2021 - 08:59

why used the have in this phrase ( it's great to have you here )

Hi Anwar68,

In this phrase, 'have' means something like 'receive you' or 'welcome you'. You can say this phrase when you welcome somebody. :)

Jonathan

Submitted by istaruoss on Tue, 16/11/2021 - 23:13

I like to meet new people because I can make new friends and learn new histories and perspectives.

Submitted by Ahlanh on Wed, 27/10/2021 - 05:56

This video is useful. It helps me to improve my English skills. I'm great to meet new people. We will become more outgoing and have more new knowledge.

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Mon, 18/10/2021 - 11:02

yeah of course, i can expand my relationships. It can be relationships support for my job in the future

Profile picture for user MonicaJ

Submitted by MonicaJ on Sat, 16/10/2021 - 08:05

Sometimes, it is good to meet new people. I think it depends on the situation, also meet people, allows you to create new relationships, and why not great contact!

Profile picture for user slimanes74

Submitted by slimanes74 on Thu, 02/09/2021 - 18:04

when I was young meet new people was great....... but now I prefer to be with close friend and my familly

Submitted by DzanaP on Fri, 27/08/2021 - 23:04

Yes I do. It's nice to meet new people and maybe get new friends after a while

Submitted by SyedRajbabu on Sat, 07/08/2021 - 07:00

Thanks great to have in this group

Submitted by SyedRajbabu on Sat, 07/08/2021 - 06:58

Thanks… it’s a nice

Submitted by KATIELLE RAIAN… on Thu, 08/07/2021 - 12:42

I like meeting new people, making friends, that's why it's so important to learn English.
Profile picture for user mirtha

Submitted by mirtha on Tue, 01/06/2021 - 02:15

Relationship is important for mental health, we can share a lot of knowledge and experiences between us.

Submitted by Veronikka on Sun, 30/05/2021 - 20:08

Yes, I do. I like meeting new people because I learn a lot when I have talks with another people

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Sat, 15/05/2021 - 12:17

Yes, I like to meet new people. I don't live live alone. Present situation learn me lot to live alone. Human loves human.

Submitted by Munirah Saad 20 on Wed, 28/04/2021 - 01:18

yes, but I do not like to make them my friends I prefer to keep them as co-workers.