Asking a favour

In this video, Noelia asks Paul for some help. Listen to the language Noelia uses to ask a favour and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say!

Do you know what to say when you want to ask a favour? Listen out for useful language for asking a favour. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Noelia: Paul, have you got a minute? I need a favour.

Paul: I'm a bit busy, but sure, what can I help you with?

Noelia: So, you know the branding job for Active Arctic?

Paul: Of course. It was so good to finally finish that project. It went on and on and on …

Noelia: Yeah, so … look, I'm really sorry about this, but they want some more changes made.

Paul: Seriously? I've already rewritten that copy, I don't know, like, 20 times?

Noelia: I know. I'm so sorry. Would you be able to work on it this afternoon?

Paul: Well, I'm not really sure if I can, Noelia. I'm finishing the Moosh Monkey social media campaign and they're expecting it by the end of the day.

Noelia: I'd forgotten about that. Is there any chance you could work late tonight?

Paul: Sorry, Noelia. I would if I could, but I can't.

Noelia: Please?

Paul: I'm taking my niece to the cinema for her birthday. It's been planned for ages.

Noelia: OK. Well, then could you come in early tomorrow? I'll make it up to you!

Paul: OK. How?

Noelia: Name your price.

Paul: An extra day's holiday?

Noelia: Can you get in for 5 a.m.?

Paul: 7 a.m.

Noelia: 6 a.m.

Paul: Deal.

Noelia: Deal.

Ana: Hello again! Looks like that's an early start for Paul tomorrow, then! So, did you notice the useful phrases used for asking a favour? Listen to me and then repeat.

Have you got a minute?

I need a favour.

What can I help you with?

I'm really sorry about this, but they want some changes.

Would you be able to work this afternoon?

I'm not really sure if I can.

Is there any chance you could work late?

I would if I could, but I can't.

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you want to ask a favour in English. Bye for now!

Do you need to improve your English speaking skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English speaking skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

Submitted by Rocio Ambriz on Fri, 25/03/2022 - 20:43

Well actually my grandpa lives in my house and I always help him to sit or stand up

Submitted by rora on Sun, 23/01/2022 - 20:00

Very interesting, Thank you

Submitted by Miguelitorico1996 on Mon, 17/01/2022 - 00:34

The last favour I did was to my best friend, he needed a soccer shoes for playing a game, so I lent him a pair of shoes, I decided to do that because he's a really careful person.

Submitted by Gizmoist on Mon, 10/01/2022 - 12:46

I remember one time that I did my colleague a favour. He wanted to switch his job and he must have attend the job review.
However, he didn't want to inform the boss about it. So he asked me a favour if I could arrange a fake meeting with him. I had arranged a fake meeting at the time when the job review took place. I gave him some space and privacy at the office :) In the end of job review, he got the job and thanked me a lot.

Submitted by Myat Moe on Tue, 04/01/2022 - 09:17

It's my brother again. Just this morning, he asked me if I could pour a glass of water for him. And I make him pay me 5 bucks for this.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Wed, 01/12/2021 - 13:52

I'm not remember when I give a favour to anyone.

Submitted by ANOUAR on Tue, 23/11/2021 - 10:37

I always do favours to people,I've just verify some numbers with my colleague in work when she said to me have you got a minute, I need a favour ?
I said : I'm not sure if I could
she said : Is there any chance you could work late ?
I said : I would If I could but I cant !

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Fri, 22/10/2021 - 13:33

I am not really remember but i often ask a favour from others

Submitted by Starting on Sat, 02/10/2021 - 08:44

I like giving someone a favor

Profile picture for user Kadir

Submitted by Kadir on Fri, 10/09/2021 - 20:20

My colleague Andy asks me if I can make a favour for her about to finish her work. And every time I help her so as not upset her.

Submitted by KarenAvdalyan on Mon, 30/08/2021 - 11:44

My Manager asked me to do the task with a high priority until the next day.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Sun, 27/06/2021 - 15:24

Useful, thank you! :)

Submitted by maximumjeff on Sat, 26/06/2021 - 08:30

I just did a favour to my wife awhile ago to help dry up her long hair with the new hairdryer

Submitted by GiulianaAndy on Sun, 20/06/2021 - 02:16

I last did a favour today, when my mother and my little sister got back home. I helped to held their purchases from the door to the kitchen. After done that I decided to whip up. I put some meal into the cooker and then I chopped up some vegetables to eat with the meal, and finally I heated some frozen milk in the kettle.

Submitted by Pann Nilar Htun on Wed, 16/06/2021 - 09:48

It was a great pleasure when I got opportunity to help someone.

Submitted by Sika2803 on Thu, 03/06/2021 - 10:03

It's happen almost every day, I help my family, my friend whatever I can

Submitted by MOHAMMED YOUSE… on Wed, 02/06/2021 - 23:54

It's great lessons.
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Mon, 19/04/2021 - 14:02

Thank you for the lesson. I learned there're a lot of different expressions. ;) Have you got a minute? I need a favour. Would you be able to work on it this afternoon? Is there any chance you could work late tonight? Could you come in early tomorrow? Can you get in for 5 a.m.?
Profile picture for user Rafaela1

Submitted by Rafaela1 on Tue, 30/03/2021 - 13:19

Well..... Maybe every day. ;)

Submitted by MikhailZatopliaev on Mon, 29/03/2021 - 23:48

I don't remember when I did, though I remember when someone did. It was yesterday, I was at cafe, and terminal for pay is broken, and I had't cash. I call to my friend, and ask a favour. I said "Hi Vova, can you help me, I have problem, plz send money to that number, I will send you back in 1 minutes."
Profile picture for user sajjad ghassemi

Submitted by sajjad ghassemi on Mon, 15/03/2021 - 11:18

I did a favour to my friend and it was about leaning English because he was a beginner student at English

Submitted by Nalim24 on Thu, 11/03/2021 - 10:15

I often do a favour, for example when I help my father with his work, or when I cut the grass of my grandma

Submitted by PARIMALA MADIAZHAKAN on Tue, 09/03/2021 - 03:26

Yes, last time I had a favor with my friends. I ask my friends to take participate the competition held by me. They also took participate the competition held by me.

Submitted by Ari on Mon, 08/03/2021 - 16:16

In fact, I do favors very often, I don't even notice it. For example, helping classmates with homework. Perhaps a lot of people think this is something bad or wrong on my part, and maybe they are right. But I like helping people. Actually, I don’t give them my notebook and I don’t say: "Take and copy it!" I try to explain it to them in an accessible way, although many people condemn it for it.

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Wed, 03/03/2021 - 00:14

The last time I did a favour for my friend, was in January 2021. As we both wanted to purchase a new model television, we could save on delivery charges if we ordered them together. I did him a favour by ordering them from Amazon account to save us both money.
Profile picture for user George Galliera

Submitted by George Galliera on Tue, 02/03/2021 - 14:03

I'd forgotten about that. lol

Submitted by Saad786 on Sun, 28/02/2021 - 13:15

I gave a favour to my friend last time. He was making the model of Taj Mahal and I made it earlier 2 months . He was feelings difficulty in setting up the pillars of Taj Mahal so, I helped him.

Submitted by Antoni Luna on Thu, 25/02/2021 - 18:37

Actually, I usually help my teammates with their assignments, there's always something they don't understand.

Submitted by jose luis torr… on Tue, 23/02/2021 - 03:17

The last time that I made a favour was yesterday. I explained a process to my workmate and sent an email asking someone else for approval.

Submitted by German on Sat, 23/01/2021 - 01:06

The last time that I did a favour was today in the morning when I printed a papers whose were important for my father

Submitted by facunica44 on Thu, 21/01/2021 - 23:06

The last time that i did a favour when the last year, my friend had forgotten his trousers on my home and he asked me if i could take them to his home the next morning

Submitted by nancyvirginiare on Wed, 13/01/2021 - 20:13

Was a few weeks ago. I was coming to USA from Panama and my syster asked me to bring her some things that she had fogotten in Panama.

Submitted by tmzch on Sun, 10/01/2021 - 19:37

It was two weeks before the Christmas. My chief needed my help for wrote important thing in short time. I worked hardly even after job hours until New Year.

Submitted by Joesph on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 14:33

Im asked my wife a favor to speak with me English all the time to increase my English skills and vocabulary, But she always forget that, and that's make me furious.

Submitted by YewandeAdeosun on Fri, 25/12/2020 - 18:34

Yesterday. I had to go out of my comfort zone to help my mom send some parcels

Submitted by YewandeAdeosun on Fri, 25/12/2020 - 18:33

Yesterday. I had to travel a long distance because someone asked me as a favor

Submitted by estefanyk212 on Mon, 21/12/2020 - 16:00

The last time that I made a favour was the last week that I had to help to a person from my job with a final report.

Submitted by Kp on Thu, 17/12/2020 - 15:19

It’s been while i didn’t give favour anyone but the last time, I helped my friend with his college assignment because he was working on that day.

Submitted by Ekowe on Wed, 16/12/2020 - 04:54

i did a favour to my leader of medical team. She must write a report but she hadn't all data to this report. She please me to write it for her yerstayday.

Submitted by Thu Ha Nguyen on Mon, 07/12/2020 - 14:10

My boss just asked me if I drive to the office on Thursday, even though I have a class at the university. I determined to refuse it. Because I don´t want to miss the class. Work is not as important as my study.

Submitted by NOURHAN93 on Sat, 05/12/2020 - 02:06

in pandamic those days, we cant meet with people hehehehhe

Submitted by loveiseverything on Wed, 02/12/2020 - 06:56

It was last week. One of my colleague needed to attend her test on driver license, so I helped her handle her job.

Submitted by WalaaHayek on Sun, 29/11/2020 - 15:13

Two days ago was the last time that I did a favour for someone, when my friend ask me to do her a favour, I designed a logo for her project and she was very thankful.

Submitted by Marina Hornus on Sat, 28/11/2020 - 21:12

Hello, The last time that I did a favor was a couple of weeks ago. I have a friend who does not know how to spend her money, and she never arrays to the end of the month because she gets off of money so, she always asks me for money then she gives me back.

Submitted by Anara SN on Tue, 24/11/2020 - 07:16

Usually every day I am asking a favour to be quiete while I study from my kids. In daily live I don't need a favour from another people, and I think it is good for me.

Submitted by Rodrigo Abrantes on Thu, 19/11/2020 - 23:07

I do favors all the time. Today I did favors for my children, my wife and my mother.