A phone call from a customer

Listen to the phone call from a customer to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Junko: Hello, Junko Mori speaking. How can I help you?

Andrea: Hi, Junko, it's Andrea here from Red Band. I'm calling about our latest order.

Junko: Everything arrived OK, right? We got the delivery confirmation at our end.

Andrea: Yes, everything's fine with the order. I'm calling about the invoice and the payment terms. I need a favour.

Junko: A favour? What do you need?

Andrea: This is a little, er ... difficult, but I need an extension on the payment terms. I know they're usually 30 days, but we're having some cash flow problems. You'd really be helping us out if you could extend it to 60 days.

Junko: I'm not sure if I can do that, Andrea. We've got regulations at our end, and also have to manage our own cash flow.

Andrea: I promise this won't become the norm, Junko. Actually, I also want to place another new order. The same size order as last time. It's for an important customer and they pay on delivery.

Junko: I see. So your cash flow problem will be solved after this new order is delivered.

Andrea: Exactly.

Junko: That sounds good. Hold on, Andrea. Let me see what I can do. Yes, I think we can make an exception this time.

Andrea: That's great, Junko. I appreciate your help.

Junko: And we appreciate your business, Andrea. It works both ways.

Andrea: Thanks again, Junko. Can you send me a quick email confirmation of the payment terms extension?

Junko: Sure, no problem. We're happy to help you.

Andrea: Great. And I'll email you the new order.

Junko: Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for it. Talk to you soon.

Andrea: You too. Goodbye.

Submitted by khineeiei.hein on Thu, 11/04/2019 - 07:49

Yes, but I would request a strong justification, also it should not only for important customers but also for all the customers.

Submitted by khineeiei.hein on Thu, 11/04/2019 - 05:31

Yes, but I'd request a strong justification, also I think it should not be to not only important customers but also all customers if they have some issues.

Submitted by francisco on Wed, 10/04/2019 - 23:00

here in Brazil is hard learning language,portuguese is oficial language

Submitted by francisco on Wed, 10/04/2019 - 22:56

i am learning a lot

Submitted by ANAALVAREZ1624 on Wed, 10/04/2019 - 17:43

It is not my case because I don't work in a job wich has that kind of situations but I think that there are some cases in wich we need to do some exceptions in the benefit of both parts of the relation.

Submitted by Fábio Oliveira on Wed, 10/04/2019 - 11:41

Yes, in my work I have million costumers. A many of them are a CEO and need a quicly answer about them questions. It's dificult because, in many times, I depend another area to solve the problem. I work in a Bank technical support.

Submitted by pizzy78 on Wed, 03/04/2019 - 21:43

In Italy we say: the customer has always right... But certainly with limits . .

Submitted by ipadeolageorge on Tue, 02/04/2019 - 20:18

Hello, I personally think doing favours and making exceptions are intertwined, since in context, it has to do with "an important client". So, I make exceptions for important or let me say 'favourite' clients...

Submitted by Anwar.q on Sun, 31/03/2019 - 20:19

Yes. When I had my own mobile shop, I used to do exceptions for clients who had financial issues in order to help them keep using my services that time.

Submitted by roberta_giraudo on Sun, 31/03/2019 - 17:31

Hello, my name is Roberta, this is the first time I try an exercice like Task 2. I can't do this. I don't understand how I can select all the items. Can you help? thank you very much.
Hello Roberta I'm sorry you found this task difficult to complete. What you must do is always move the phrases by pressing or clicking on the small white hand (on the right side of each box). If you press or click there and then press or click on top of box where you want to move them, they should move. After that, you must always press or click on top of the white hand of the words that are in the boxes. It's actually quite easy, though it can be tricky to discover how it works. Please let us know if you still have trouble. All the best Kirk The LearnEnglish Team

Submitted by carole monnin on Sat, 30/03/2019 - 08:11

I don't understand because I try to send a message but the answer is always unpublished. Since my messages are friendly

Submitted by carole monnin on Sat, 30/03/2019 - 08:08

this is a good exercise

Submitted by carole monnin on Sat, 30/03/2019 - 08:05

It's my first exercise; I like it!

Submitted by Ruralcrue on Sat, 30/03/2019 - 00:47

Hi. If we have some problem and it's necessary to solve it, I sometimes do favours for my clients.

Submitted by faygun on Fri, 29/03/2019 - 18:21

No, I have never been do favours for clients before, because I didn't work a job needed by this situation.

Submitted by Esther Chinwe on Fri, 29/03/2019 - 10:22

Yes, and the clients is happy at the end pf the transaction

Submitted by buchiorakwe on Thu, 28/03/2019 - 10:27

Hi, Please how do i answer the question in task 2 ( A Phone Call From a Customer).
Hello buchiorakwe In this kind of task, you have to always move the words by pressing or clicking on the small hands that are in the right side. This is especially important when you are moving the second words into a box -- you must click or press on the little hand when moving the word, and also click on top of the hand that is already in the box. It's actually very easy to do, but a little hard to explain. If you still don't get it, please let me know and I'll explain it a different way. All the best Kirk The LearnEnglish Team

Submitted by buchiorakwe on Thu, 28/03/2019 - 10:19

Hello, You don't do favours rather you give exceptions to regular customers. They can buy now and pay later, further reasons are that they are while businesses exist.

Submitted by Oksi1001 on Mon, 25/03/2019 - 14:22

Hi! Yes,when i worked in the restaurant, sometimes we made exceptions for our reguelar and important guests. They could paid bill later, in some time. And this guests have been visiting the restaurant for many of years.It works both ways too.