Meeting a new team member

Listen to a conversation between two new colleagues to practise your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Peter: Hi, my name's Peter. What's your name?

Carla: Hi, Peter. I'm Carla. I'm new here.

Peter: Welcome to the company, Carla.

Carla: Thanks, Peter. I'm happy to be here and it's nice to meet you.

Peter: It's nice to meet you too.

Carla: Where do you work?

Peter: I work in the design team. We sit over there.

Carla: I'm in the marketing team. I started last week.

Peter: You work in marketing? That's very interesting.

Carla: Yes, it is. I'm enjoying it. But there are a lot of new things to learn.

Peter: I'm sure there are. I'm happy to help you if I can.

Carla: Thank you, Peter. What do you do in the design department?

Peter: I design new products.

Carla: That sounds interesting. I plan marketing events for new products. So I think we'll work together sometimes.

Peter: That would be great. So, where are you from, Carla?

Carla: Brazil. And you?

Peter: I'm from the UK.

Carla: How long have you been here?

Peter: I've worked here for three years but I actually moved here from the UK five years ago, to study.

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by Mm1111 on Mon, 13/06/2022 - 11:33

When I meet a new colleagues I always ask them about their names and their hobbies. Then I ask them about their department and something that I think are interesting.

Submitted by najib.oulhouch on Sun, 05/06/2022 - 20:25

when i meet people for the first time, if it's a professional context i try to explain some of my job, university studies and general informations, but if not i speak superficial topics like movies, cultures hobbies.

Submitted by ohroyal on Wed, 01/06/2022 - 17:06

When is a person i don't know, i prefer to talk things superficial how films, series, musics and artists of the moment. But when is someone that i have intimacy, i prefer to talk about others' life

Submitted by diego_s on Mon, 23/05/2022 - 01:46

I usually talk about my interests and ask about theirs, as well as my experience at the place we met. For example, if we met at a university I talk about the courses I took when I was a student there.

Submitted by khaled67 on Wed, 11/05/2022 - 21:37

Submitted by badboyzz on Sat, 07/05/2022 - 12:02

When I meet people for the first time, I usually explain myself and share my personal behavior. I always want to learn to new friend's personality.

Submitted by Nori on Fri, 06/05/2022 - 05:52

What I talk about when I meet people for the first time is my son. He is five years old and very, very, very cute. We play various games; ball games, battle games with swords and shields, and board games in my free time. For example, building an RC car named "mini-yonku" in Japanese was fun yesterday.

Submitted by bkocak34 on Sat, 23/04/2022 - 13:56

Hello everyone.
If I am meeting someone, Generally, I introduce myself to he/she who talking to me. After that we ask to each other "what do you do? or "are you student". Then, "Are you single or married" is come as a classical question in Turkey :)
If you are a single this situation is bother for the people who your met. I guess this reaction is not only relate my country but also its relate Mediterranian Culture.

Submitted by Andres Cuchimaque on Thu, 21/04/2022 - 22:14

I usually talk about the situations around us, something like the weather, the traffic, the kids.

Submitted by alstroemeria on Wed, 20/04/2022 - 10:48

for the first time, i usually say "hi" of course

Submitted by Maycon on Wed, 13/04/2022 - 00:42

Normally, I introduce myself and I ask some informations about the people.

Submitted by SETTI on Sat, 09/04/2022 - 21:09

i say HI then i intrduce my self then ask a about them

Submitted by RUJIYAH on Sat, 09/04/2022 - 05:45

when i meet other people i will get acquanted with them

Submitted by elza_aaaa on Sat, 09/04/2022 - 05:44

when I meet people I will say Hi and introduce my self than ask his/her name

Submitted by desidww_05 on Sat, 09/04/2022 - 05:42

when i meet people for the frist time just say hi and introduce myself

Submitted by vivioktavian18 on Sat, 09/04/2022 - 05:42

when i meet news poeple..hello

Submitted by sh_ekaaa on Sat, 09/04/2022 - 05:42

when I meet new people I will smile and nod

Submitted by soimah_woyo2 on Sat, 09/04/2022 - 05:41

when i meet the first time with a new people i will say hello and i will introduce him

Submitted by evanaya99 on Sat, 09/04/2022 - 05:40

I usually introduce my self and talking about something about he/she self

Submitted by nadyanightingale on Thu, 31/03/2022 - 19:38

I usually talk about their nationality, work, spare time and the district they' re living in the city.

Submitted by trongbumchiu on Wed, 30/03/2022 - 23:08

I normally start introducing myself, and talk them about my real name and my internationally name that they can call me easily. Next, I completely share about my favorites, I definitely make a friend if they have the same favorites with me.

Submitted by MaryC on Mon, 28/03/2022 - 10:03

this situation was very familiar to me because I started a new job last month. i met a lot of new people. When i was introduced to these people , We talked about our countries, our traditions and mainly We talked about the reasons why we are here. I have not made any new friends at work yet but I think , I have a nice and multicultural colleagues.

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Sun, 20/03/2022 - 13:38

When I meet people for the first time, I usually ask their name, the country they are from and about their current job.

Submitted by VanMinh on Tue, 08/03/2022 - 08:13

I usually talk about his/her job, family and favorites. Sometimes I ask about his/her phone number and address if we have some same favorites.
If I have mistakes, please fix those mistakes help me.
Thanks for lesson.

Submitted by Amin Kourani on Mon, 07/02/2022 - 11:45

What do you usually talk about when you meet people for the first time? I Actually try to find common interesting subject. I'm not talkative and, I'm a little bit shy and I'll be tired if speck to much without any idea and specific aim.
From my perspective make eye contact and smile to people is one of the best method to strike up a friendships.

Submitted by jmajo on Thu, 27/01/2022 - 15:36

It depends on the occasion, if I meet a new colleague I usually start a conversation about work or some random theme like work experience or formation but if I meet people in a reunion or a party I try not to talk about work at first, I usually tend to talk about music or sport, or about hobbies or activities not related to work, I find a bit boring talking about work in an informal meeting or in a party.

Thanks for the lesson.
Great site!

Submitted by Ipo Soon on Thu, 13/01/2022 - 10:08

Thanks, I'm done :)

Submitted by saja mansour on Fri, 07/01/2022 - 14:52

When I meet a new person I usually ask him/her about his/her name and about the age. I’m also interested about hobbies, so mostly I will ask what kind of hobby he/she does in their free time. Maybe we will find some similarities in our personality and will therefore friends in the future. If the person is in my age, mostly we would talk about school for example, subjects, good or bad teachers, etc.. But if the person is not in my age, so we would just talk about our daily routines or something like that.

Submitted by mamalirezaenglish on Wed, 29/12/2021 - 15:07

I often ask people about their nationality, hometown and their age.

Submitted by zehrizer on Fri, 17/12/2021 - 19:42

I usually talk about age, birth, nationality, jobs, hobies.

Submitted by Phạm Thị Mỹ Dung on Mon, 06/12/2021 - 15:41

Whenever I meet someone new, I frequently compliment them on their hair, appearance, or clothing. Then I may talk about their work, hobbies, name, age, among other things.

Submitted by Charles.Baguma on Tue, 30/11/2021 - 22:04

when I meet a new person I normally introduce my self first next I ask for his name, what he does and where he is from

Submitted by Ehsan on Tue, 23/11/2021 - 06:28

It varies according to different circumstances. we see the people in different places, different situations and etc. for example if I see a person in a gym, we will talk about during activity time of us in the gym. days that we came to the gym. we can talk about work out and etc.

Submitted by Kamelbenslimane on Mon, 22/11/2021 - 19:49

When I meet people for the first time, i usually tall about work, study and hobbies.

Submitted by Poorna.chander on Thu, 11/11/2021 - 02:53

When i meet new people for first time, I first say Hai and what is your name, where are you from and what are you doing and where do you work and what do you work, i ask about office details and are you happy with your work at your current working office

Submitted by John Nguyen on Mon, 08/11/2021 - 03:11

For the first time I meet someone, we talk about name, age and university where we studying

Submitted by nikta on Sat, 06/11/2021 - 08:05

when I meet new people, I'm be polite and ask them about their personality. and I try be friend with them especially if they're like me.

Submitted by ANOUAR on Fri, 05/11/2021 - 12:04

When I meet people for the first time, I usually ask them about their name and some other stuff depending on the situation and the circumstances where we've been meet.

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Thu, 04/11/2021 - 14:25

when i meet a new friend, i usually talk about their hometown, age, job,...

Submitted by metacaro90 on Sat, 30/10/2021 - 19:44

I get used to be kind with people I don't know, so, I ask them about their lifes, where they come from?, what's they favourite music and what kind of hobbies they practice and so on.

Submitted by KyawMinThu on Sun, 24/10/2021 - 11:12

When I meet people for the first time, firstly,I introduce myself and I said nice to meet them . Then asking about their jobs , education, abilities and more.

Submitted by vuhoap on Sun, 17/10/2021 - 02:15

When I meet people for the first time, I usually talk about
greetings, basic personal information or hobby to find the same point for continuing the conversation.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Mon, 04/10/2021 - 11:00

Whenever I meet new people I talked about name, work, from which place, nice to meet you and other things
First expression is the last expression.

Submitted by bassamlkhtb90 on Thu, 30/09/2021 - 07:22

How can I download this track?

Hello bassamlkhtb90,
If you are using a computer, do a right-click on top of the audio player and then choose the option 'Save as' and you should be able to download it. If you're using a tablet or a phone, I imagine you can also download it, but how you do that depends on what kind of operating system you have.
Best wishes,

Submitted by Montaneda on Thu, 23/09/2021 - 04:19

When I meet people for fist time, introduce myself and I like to be friendly.

Submitted by Andrea Valencia on Sat, 03/07/2021 - 14:55

I usually talk about my work and studies, I talk about my city and hobbies as well.

Submitted by saeedebrahimip on Tue, 15/06/2021 - 11:39

I try start a conversation with Hiiiiiiii, how are you?

Submitted by Munirah Saad 20 on Mon, 24/05/2021 - 10:10

I talk about the place where we are or common topic like our doctor and services if we are at hospital , I usually talkative woman so I try to find topics for talking with anew people .
Profile picture for user Marce-English

Submitted by Marce-English on Sun, 23/05/2021 - 16:23

The first time I meet someone at work, I try to be friendly and help them in everything they need.