Keeping a conversation going

In this video, Noelia and Bob talk about Spain. Listen to the language they use for keeping a conversation going and practise saying the useful phrases.

Do the preparation exercise first. Then watch the video and do the exercises to check your understanding and practise the language.

Ana: Hi! I'm Ana. Welcome to What to Say!

Do you know what to say when you want to keep a conversation going? Listen out for useful language for keeping a conversation going. Then, we'll practise saying the new phrases – after this.

Noelia: Hi, Bob!

Bob: Oh, morning, Noelia.

Noelia: So, what's new?

Bob: New, hmm, let me think. Hmm … Nothing much. Oh, hang on. My dog Bertie had his 14th birthday on Monday!

Noelia: Oh, he's getting old then?

Bob: I guess so … but not as old as his owner.

Noelia: Haha … er, anyway …

Bob: How about you, Noelia? How's it going?

Noelia: Great, actually. Yeah … all good.

Bob: By the way, I wanted to ask you, where in Spain are you from?

Noelia: I'm from Santander.

Bob: Oh, lovely. Wonderful to grow up near the sea.

Noelia: Yeah, it was perfect. Ah, I miss the sea.

Bob: I know what you mean. I used to live in Spain and I absolutely loved it.

Noelia: Really? I didn't know that, Bob!

Bob: Yeah, I had a little bar on the Costa Brava.

Noelia: Wow! So do you speak Spanish then?

Bob: Oh, not much. Ah, those were the days! Excuse me. Perdona, Noelia. Tengo que irme. Me necesitan en el segundo piso. ¡Hasta pronto! [Excuse me, Noelia. I've got to go. They need me on the second floor. See you soon!]

Noelia: Wow!

Ana: Hello again! Wow! Bob is full of surprises. So, did you notice the useful phrases used for keeping a conversation going? Listen to me and then repeat.

So, what's new?

Let me think ...

Nothing much.

Anyway …

How about you, Noelia?

How's it going?

By the way, I wanted to ask you ...

I know what you mean.

Really? I didn't know that!

Ana: Try and use some of these phrases the next time you want to keep a conversation going in English. Bye for now!

Do you need to improve your English speaking skills?
Join thousands of learners from around the world who are improving their English speaking skills with our live online classes and personal tutoring courses.

Submitted by venus kim on Tue, 10/05/2022 - 15:13

No, I was born in business capital of my country. So, there is no sea or beach near me only tall and numerous apartments and shopping centres.

Submitted by Camila Medina on Sun, 08/05/2022 - 21:11

No, I don't live near the sea, I'm from Santiago, Chile, but the sea is to 1 hour in a car travel and I go there once or twice at the year.

Submitted by cams on Tue, 19/04/2022 - 03:40

no, unfortunally. i used to live near a river, actually, it was pretty amazing to me

Submitted by qwertyzxcwasd1234 on Fri, 15/04/2022 - 15:24

I've never lived near the sea, but I would probably like to live that way. The sea, the beach, the sand, etc. - that's what I love.

Submitted by Fabiano on Wed, 30/03/2022 - 16:36

Yes, I love the sea because when I was young my family had an apartment near the sea. All my vacations I went to apartment on the beach, it was perfect

Profile picture for user Silvia Lago

Submitted by Silvia Lago on Sat, 26/02/2022 - 01:14

I don't live near the sea, but I would like to. My dream is to live close to the sea, in contact with nature, in a beautiful house all decorated and sustainable (with solar energy, garbage recycling, vegetable garden and own energy generation).

Submitted by younes01 on Tue, 01/02/2022 - 10:03

when I was a kid I used to live near the sea, it were lovely days and I miss them too much.

Submitted by kimalex123 on Mon, 24/01/2022 - 12:20

Well, I'm currently living in Myanmar, Yangon city. To be honest, I do not live near the sea because many apartments are taken place around the city in Yangon. So, a lot of people go to the countryside if they want t get the seaside view.

Submitted by Miguelitorico1996 on Mon, 17/01/2022 - 00:56

I live in the center region of Colombia, in a city called Villavicencio, we are far away from the coast but we've got a lot of rivers.

Submitted by hichem202008 on Sun, 12/12/2021 - 13:25

Yes i do , i love living there ,what a beautiful place especially in summer , new fresh air and quiet place

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Wed, 01/12/2021 - 16:39

No, I'm not live in near the sea. I live in a city near a river this river is very dirty.

Submitted by ANOUAR on Wed, 24/11/2021 - 10:54

Yes I do, and I like the sea beacuase it has a fresh air on it.

Submitted by ElzbietaEla on Mon, 01/11/2021 - 18:34

During my vacation, I lived by the sea

Oh, What a pity!!! I live near the see. there's a wonderful landscape!

Submitted by Starting on Sat, 02/10/2021 - 09:00

I wanted to live near the sea, it may be a pieceful life

Submitted by KarenAvdalyan on Mon, 30/08/2021 - 11:27

I don't live near the sea but I grew up in an area where there was a beautiful lake, so I also see what they mean.

Submitted by May Nine on Mon, 16/08/2021 - 16:13

No , Never . Because it takes too much time to get there from where I'm living .

Submitted by Genesis Salas on Fri, 13/08/2021 - 06:02

No! But I wouldn't like to live near the sea. Here in Mexico the climate near the sea is to hot. So, I prefer live in the city.

Submitted by KATIELLE RAIAN… on Tue, 27/07/2021 - 18:15

Yes, I did. But the sea here is very cold, frozen.

Submitted by maximumjeff on Sat, 26/06/2021 - 08:50

I used to live by the sea, but it's an old apartment next to a dock which is not as good as one would imagine

Submitted by Sika2803 on Thu, 03/06/2021 - 09:59

No, I don't live near the sea. But I really love it, I hope that I could live there in the future.

Submitted by Arsa on Tue, 27/04/2021 - 02:12

Yes, I live near the sea. It just takes an hour to get there. Actually it was my dream from childhood to live near the sea and fortunately it came to true

Submitted by desouza on Sun, 04/04/2021 - 21:00

yes, I was born in south of turkey Antalya. I grow up near the see then I moved in İstanbul. İstanbul has a great bosphorus and black see marmara see but not like Antalya . I missed my childhood , we always hanged around the beach ,as always my skin was bronze , we played with big waves time of the sunset. what was a perfect years.

Submitted by Sophia00 on Fri, 12/03/2021 - 09:43

No, I don't live near the sea, but I love the sea and like to go on vacation near it.

Submitted by Maylahinahahegehdt on Thu, 11/03/2021 - 11:04

No, I don´t live near the sea, but my family has a camping car, with which we drive every summer holidays to the north sea. We also own a few stand up paddling boards and 30 min from my home away is a small lake, where we can do that in summer.

Submitted by Justus_123 on Thu, 11/03/2021 - 09:46

No, I do not live near the sea but i can drive to a see in the north. On holidays me and my family drive to a hotel on trhe sea and it was so great. The Hotrl has so much things to borrow like a stand up paddeling board. So we went every day to the sea and drove the boards. It was my favorite holiday because I had soooo much fun.

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Wed, 03/03/2021 - 00:22

No I don't live near the sea. Although I am not too far a drive away.

Submitted by Saad786 on Sun, 28/02/2021 - 13:39

Yes! I lived near the sea for 3 days in Khobar. It was fascinating to watch clean and fast flowing water.

Submitted by Eman.F.R. on Fri, 19/02/2021 - 18:55

No,I don't live there. But actually , I wish to live near the sea . I love seeing the waves of the sea and listening to their sound. I think it's the ideal place for relaxing . People live there know well what i mean . By the way , I want to ask people who live there if they could enjoy the sea or when people used to have a precious gift ,they couldn't .

Submitted by franciscakaras on Mon, 08/02/2021 - 19:15

Yes, I attually live 8 minutes from the sea. It's a pleasure and I feel every single day that I'm a lucky person to live here, in Lisbon- Portugal. It's a wonderfull place to live.

Submitted by facunica44 on Fri, 22/01/2021 - 23:39

i live so far from the sea, 300 km between the coast and my city to be exactly. i was born in a little town from argentina, it's a great place but in holidays time, i usually go to the sea

Submitted by lavande1983 on Tue, 12/01/2021 - 18:56

I don't live near the sea beause i was born and grew up in a small town near moutains. So i love going to the sea. The first time i was on holiday in the sea when i was 20 years old. Now i have chance to travelling around the world et 5 continents and i visited lots of different seas and oceans. I prefere hot sea in tropical coutries beaucause we can enjoy the sea all year. in notherne Europe, the sea water is quite cold do we can swim only in summer. so i try to protect my skin from the UV high level sunshine. Honestly,a holiday in the sea makes me happy and gives me energy

Submitted by Yassir Ali Ahmed on Thu, 07/01/2021 - 22:14

No, I'm not, so I scared to swimming.

Submitted by Joesph on Wed, 06/01/2021 - 15:18

I used to live in a city overlooking the sea, I was afraid swimming in the open sea, but my father pushed me and taught me to swim very well. I was had jet ski, It was very entertaining.

Submitted by Thinn Thiri Myo on Thu, 31/12/2020 - 06:00

I used to.I love the water but l can't swimming because I'm afraid toswim.

Submitted by Khatia25 on Tue, 29/12/2020 - 16:03

No, I’m not living near the sea. But I adore sea and would like to live.

Submitted by YewandeAdeosun on Fri, 25/12/2020 - 18:44

I use to. I miss the cool breeze by seaside

Submitted by Nyein Swe Thet on Thu, 17/12/2020 - 09:44

I was.I was born and grows up in a little town near the sea.But i'm afraid of the sea.lol.it's kinda weird tho.

Submitted by TalhaÖzkan on Sat, 12/12/2020 - 16:59

I don't live near the sea, but I would like to by the sea. Hopefully when I grow up, I will move to Kastamonu with Talat and Talha. :)
Hi Talha. I hope you move to Kastamonu. By the way I live in Adana and there is a sea but I don't live near the sea. Its sadly..

Submitted by Ei Thidar Tun on Thu, 10/12/2020 - 08:21

No, I live in city. But, I often go to beach that is not as far as to my city and I feel relax when I reach. It is so beautiful and breathtaking.

Submitted by samssira on Fri, 04/12/2020 - 14:04

Hi everyone, actually, I don't leave near the sea but not far away also. It taks 30 min by a car to get in.

Submitted by Marina Hornus on Sun, 29/11/2020 - 12:28

Hello, I do not live near a beach. That is fine for me because I do not like beaches, and neither living on a side sea beach. I only visited hot beaches where the sun is so strong and I feel that I burn in that kind of place. Maybe you know that in Latin countries it is common that women take sunbathe and they think they are more fashionable with dark skin. I do not like to take sunbathe, I think that is dangerous for your skin. Also, it is not enjoyable for me been lying on the beach taking the sun, it is like you are cooking something. In summary, I enjoy living near a River where you have trees and you can swim better than in the sea.

Submitted by farhad zada on Wed, 25/11/2020 - 07:04

I live near the Caspian Sea which we call as 'Khazar Danizi'. I love sea, lake, river and so

Submitted by Pola on Tue, 24/11/2020 - 14:10

Yes, I do, I was born and raised in a small village by the sea and I'm still living in this village, so I'm used to see the sea everyday.