Booking a table

Listen to someone booking a table in a restaurant to practise and improve your listening skills.

Do the preparation task first. Then listen to the audio and do the exercises.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi. Can I book a table for tomorrow night, please?

Staff: How many people is it for?

Jamie: Four.

Staff: And what time would you like?

Jamie: About eight, eight thirty maybe?

Staff: Let's see ... We're pretty busy tomorrow, so I can do half past seven or nine.

Jamie: Oh. OK, then. Half seven, please.

Staff: What name is it?

Jamie: Jamie.

Staff: J-A- ...?

Jamie: M-I-E

Staff: OK, so that's a table for four at half past seven tomorrow evening.

Jamie: Great. Thanks! Bye.

Staff: Bye.

Staff: Hello, Gino's.

Jamie: Hi, I called earlier to book a table for four and I was wondering if I can make it for six instead?

Staff: Ah, what name was it?

Jamie: It's Jamie.

Staff: Table for four at half past seven. So you want to change it to 6 o'clock?

Jamie: No, sorry. Can I make it for six people?

Staff: Oh, I see. Sorry! That shouldn't be a problem. I can move you to a bigger table but it will be nearer the kitchen. Is that OK?

Jamie: No problem. Is it possible to change the time as well? Make it a little bit later?

Staff: Ah ... yeah, we can. Is eight OK for you?

Jamie: Perfect, thanks!

Staff: Lovely. See you tomorrow, then.

Jamie: Thanks! Bye!

Staff: Thanks. Ciao!

Do you need to improve your English listening skills?

Submitted by khaled67 on Wed, 11/05/2022 - 19:35

My favorite kind of restaurant is a cheap and fried potatoes and Hamburger

Submitted by Nori on Mon, 09/05/2022 - 22:13

My favorite kind of restaurant is simply a cheap and delicious Sushi restaurant. I usually go there once a month; My family and I can't wait the day we go all the time!

Submitted by ardadas on Thu, 05/05/2022 - 06:30

My favourite restaurant is Huzur Restaurant in Göle. I eat döner there. :3

Submitted by Mstfamhmod on Wed, 04/05/2022 - 21:39

My favorite resturant is that one have a big menu with different types of food .
I love etalien food .

Submitted by Souhaïb MGHARBI on Sat, 30/04/2022 - 15:18

In fact, I rarely go to the restaurant, but I would like a restaurant with many available items such as Pizza, chicken, fishes and sandwish.

Submitted by badboyzz on Sat, 23/04/2022 - 14:41

My favorite kind of restaurant is Türkisch restaurant because Türkisch restaurant's staff so friendly and hosbitality. I want to share my experience in Türkisch restaurant. İt has so delicous and big meal.I recommend to everyone for try to Türkisch meal

Submitted by Andres Cuchimaque on Thu, 21/04/2022 - 18:53

My favorite kind of restaurant is a loft restaurant with a big menu, and different kind of flavors.

Submitted by Ahmed Elbarbary on Tue, 19/04/2022 - 12:14

Cafiar for seafood is the best

Submitted by Abrarhussain on Sun, 20/03/2022 - 13:12

My favourite restaurant is Dream Land traditional taste and kind of Asian Halal food.

Submitted by lauhuhe on Fri, 25/02/2022 - 16:09

My favourite restaurant is the food of my grandmother's house

Submitted by zubeir on Mon, 21/02/2022 - 20:30

My favorite restaurant is Chinese restaurant. I love spicy food.

Submitted by Irena Gorak on Thu, 10/02/2022 - 18:08

I like small restaurants/cafes with a friendly atmosphere with original dishes

Submitted by Amin Kourani on Mon, 07/02/2022 - 06:20

What's your favorite kind of restaurant?
I usually like to eat fast food such as fried chicken with salad, but sometimes I do like to have pasta so, I'm interested to go to a Italian restaurant. but recently I'm trying to make pasta and chicken strips and many delicious food at home, so I don't go out for restaurant very often.

Submitted by jmajo on Thu, 13/01/2022 - 15:05

What's your favourite kind of restaurant?
I do not use to go to restaurants very often but if I have to choose one kind, I would go to an Italian restaurant to have pasta or a traditional restaurant where they serve local grilled meet with salads and that kind of meals.

Thanks for the lesson.
Great site!

Submitted by Ipo Soon on Tue, 11/01/2022 - 18:56

Thanks, I'm done :)

Submitted by Ahmed_Abouelazm on Fri, 31/12/2021 - 12:50

My favorite restaurant is called flag 19 near my house , i can eat a various delicious food , However i can eat good dessert and drinks.

Submitted by mamalirezaenglish on Wed, 29/12/2021 - 12:47

Definitely Italian restaurants.There many Italian restaurants here and their tastes are incredible.

Submitted by Thein Htet Zaw on Wed, 29/12/2021 - 07:28

My favorite restaurant is Shwe bae restaurant.Actually is not a local restaurant.The main food that they selling is grill duck.So we can buy the delicious grilling duck from that restaurant .That why I like these restaurant so much. Thank you.

Submitted by Albert73 on Tue, 28/12/2021 - 03:17

My favorite restaurante is the one where I can order any type of food.

Submitted by Anwar68 on Mon, 13/12/2021 - 18:18

what difference between ( how many people? and, How many people is it for? )

Hello Anwar68,

It would also be OK for the restaurant worker to say 'How many people?' That would be understood as a shorter form of 'How many people is it (the table) for?'

It's quite common for words to be left out of a sentence when the meaning is clear.

Submitted by Phạm Thị Mỹ Dung on Fri, 03/12/2021 - 07:17

I rarely eat out at luxurious restaurants because they get expensive. I usually go to street vendors where the food is awesome and various. many dishes have flavor amazing that you must stand in line in long to can buy, and the air is comfortable and crowded that is interesting for me. there are lots of famous chefs who came to enjoy street food. that is an outstanding point in my country. I wish I could sample all the food in whole my country.

Submitted by dylanharris on Mon, 29/11/2021 - 09:20

I'm Vietnamese and I love our food very much, so I like to eat in a Vietnamese restaurant with lots of traditional foods.

Submitted by Alaa Eldin Ade… on Wed, 10/11/2021 - 18:42

My favourite kind of restaurants is pizza.

Submitted by ema sab on Fri, 05/11/2021 - 21:36

I love traditional Egyptian food restaurants

Submitted by Ehsan on Tue, 02/11/2021 - 09:53

I would like to try all restaurants, and all kind of foods.

Submitted by LamVanPhuong on Mon, 01/11/2021 - 13:29

it's a nice restaurant with a good view and delicious foods

Submitted by metacaro90 on Sat, 30/10/2021 - 03:16

My favourite kind of restaurant is the Italian food, it's delicious and wonderful, I love it.

Submitted by Karol28 on Mon, 25/10/2021 - 01:52

i love mexican restaurant and Italian

Submitted by KyawMinThu on Sat, 23/10/2021 - 10:25

I prefer Burmese Restaurant. Burmese foods are simple and delicious.
Butter rice and pork curry is my favorite one in Burmese Food.

Submitted by Kamelbenslimane on Wed, 20/10/2021 - 20:19

I prefer traditional restaurant

Submitted by angelomr on Tue, 19/10/2021 - 17:23

My favorite restaurant is where there are foods. LOL

Submitted by Moses Habarugira on Tue, 19/10/2021 - 08:21

On préparation task, only three line can be opened.

Hello Moses Habarugira,

I'm sorry you've had trouble completing the task. I've checked it and it worked for me.

When you want to add another sentence to a group, you have to click or press on the small white hand at the side of the words already in the box. If you don't do this, then the new words will stay but the old words will disappear from the box.

It's a little difficult to explain, so please let me know if you'd like me to explain it again.

Thank you very much for reply.
Now it works but it's impossible to move any line in order to put in its order.
How can I do it?

Submitted by MartaGali on Mon, 18/10/2021 - 16:27

My favorite kind of restaurant is a quiet one with good food.

Submitted by Fabiana dos Sa… on Fri, 15/10/2021 - 20:19

My restaurant favorite is japenese food

Submitted by Laura123 on Wed, 13/10/2021 - 07:27

My favourite restaurant is a typical Spanish one, where tradicional food is seved.

Submitted by vuhoap on Mon, 11/10/2021 - 14:35

I rarely go to restaurant. When i was child, my family always ate together at home. Until now, even though I live far from home, I still keep the habit of eating at my room.

Submitted by Suraj paliwal on Mon, 04/10/2021 - 10:10

My favourite restaurant is indian restaurant.

Submitted by Alexis Jara on Mon, 04/10/2021 - 08:20

I live in Callao, Perú. The food is very delicious in any restaurant here

Submitted by Minnu on Wed, 15/09/2021 - 09:55

I don’t have any favourite kind of restaurant and I love to eat all kind of foods but I’m not a foodie person.Although I like Arabic food bit more. . However I only eat from a restaurant once in a blue moon because I try to incorporate homemade food into my diet because of health concern.
Profile picture for user slimanes74

Submitted by slimanes74 on Thu, 02/09/2021 - 17:18

I like to prepare my personal Algerian food

Submitted by FGOUAJEU on Thu, 19/08/2021 - 16:05

My favourite kind of restaurant is Japanese restaurant

Submitted by Bmorales on Wed, 18/08/2021 - 03:11

Oh, I love Venezuelan food because it is tropical, innovative and varied, that is definitive
Profile picture for user YinLiXing

Submitted by YinLiXing on Wed, 04/08/2021 - 09:54

Chinese restaurant is my favorite kind of restaurant.

Submitted by KATIELLE RAIAN… on Mon, 05/07/2021 - 15:40

My favorite restaurants are Brazilian and Italian.